Thread: Cannot establish province in Alexandreia?

The excited one's Avatar Senator

Default Cannot establish province in Alexandreia?

I had recently conquered Alexandreia as Romani, but it seems to me that I cannot build provincial related buildings (even free cities) is it a bug or merely historical basis?
    war is peace, ignorance is strength, freedom is slavery......
    (george orwell 1984)

Default Re: Cannot establish province in Alexandreia?

That should be a bug. I had the ability to build Provincia in Alexandreia before.

Actually, that's an omission, insofar as when I added the hidden_resource limitations to it, I forgot ioudaioi - which would enable both Akko and Alexandreia.

The absence of Free Cities in Egypt is intentional, though.

Quote Originally Posted by QuintusSertorius View Post
    Actually, that's an omission, insofar as when I added the hidden_resource limitations to it, I forgot ioudaioi - which would enable both Akko and Alexandreia.
    Can i Enable the province building myself?

The absence of Free Cities in Egypt is intentional, though.
    Please explain
    (george orwell 1984)

Quote Originally Posted by The excited one View Post
    Can i Enable the province building myself?
    Not for a game in progress, no. Any change to the EDB is not savegame compatible. It's a trivial change, but it won't be any good for your current game.

Not for a game in progress, no. Any change to the EDB is not savegame compatible. It's a trivial change, but it won't be any good for your current game.
    Now I understand it. You did not really answered my another question though.... why free cities are not allow for Alexandreia?
    (george orwell 1984)

It's probably because the Ptolemaic Kingdom was only annexed to Roman rule after Mark Antony fled there during Octavian's civil wars at the start of the empire. And once the battle was won and the territory annexed, Egypt was ruled by a special prefect directly appointed by the Emperor instead of the Senate. There was never a history of some partial independence being granted.

Since when are EDB changes not savegame compattible, small changes dont affect savegames.
    Living in the Netherland but am a Frisian the noblest of Germans. NOW playing SAI Julian campaign, http://www.unihorn.nl
    Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent, Isaac Asimov
    F@ck de massa, grijp de Kassa, Bas Hoorn 2009

Quote Originally Posted by ramsesii View Post
    Since when are EDB changes not savegame compattible, small changes dont affect savegames.
    Since always; the validation settings are enabled, no change is savegame compatible.

Thats rediculus I incorporated some changes in EDU and EDB and they ae perfectly working in my savegames, As long you dont overdo it, it works.
    I added a flat 5% happines bonus for all cities midways my Rome and carthage games and it shows up perfectly in my savegames.

I also made all recruitable generals available in accademies whatever the government type. And guess what I can recruit generals next turn in my savegame.
    Living in the Netherland but am a Frisian the noblest of Germans. NOW playing SAI Julian campaign, http://www.unihorn.nl

Roma_Victrix's Avatar Call me Ishmael

Quote Originally Posted by ramsesii View Post
    Thats rediculus I incorporated some changes in EDU and EDB and they ae perfectly working in my savegames, As long you dont overdo it, it works.
    I added a flat 5% happines bonus for all cities midways my Rome and carthage games and it shows up perfectly in my savegames.

I also made all recruitable generals available in accademies whatever the government type. And guess what I can recruit generals next turn in my savegame.
    Thanks. That's interesting to know. I believe he's right about everything else, though. If you make any little changes to the buildings file, the units one, the campaign script, or any other crucial file, then previous saved games do not work. I've made changes to the EDB file before that caused the saved game to never load until I went back and changed it to the original state. I'll have to check on that again.

Raiuga's Avatar Civis

I recently changed the formation spacing values on EDU for one unit, and had no problem. Maybe the compatibility comes from a more specific attribute change in the file? Would be a nice thing to test out...

Anyway could bring stability problems to the saves that we don't know

EDU is almost Always savegamecompatible as long as you dont add or delete units, or remove ownerships of units.
    The unitstats themselves are loaded everytime you start a savegame so changes are implemented inmediatly.

The same goes for EDB, removing buildings will give crashes.
    Channging bonusses for buildings or even changing the conditions to build a building are all savegame compatible.
    EDU can be modded with everything,
    EDB you can only mod with notepad++, using the standard notepad to change EDB is trouble.

PS iff you change something Always backup the file.