Thread: Two Q's About Warhammer's Status

Default Two Q's About Warhammer's Status

*whoops, three questions

1) Who were the key people from GW in developing Warhammer during its inception?

2) How do all of you feel about The End Times, and how GW effectively wiped out a lot of the lore? I'm aware that it was mainly a business decision, in order to move consumers into a more profitable franchise, but did it anger you?

3) Would you be opposed to new media (such as a film trilogy) significantly changing the lore/narrative of Warhammer?

^ This is a q I'm most interested in. A lot of people seem opposed because GW has often retconned their own lore, but then again, I'm interested in anyone who is totally opposed to this.

Default Re: Two Q's About Warhammer's Status

1) I don't know.
    2) People behind End Times should be decapitated.
    3) Yes, if you mean End Times. World That Was is awesome enough. I'm surprised there is no movie (series, animated) based in Warhammer world.

Daruwind's Avatar Citizen

1) No idea
    2) Miniature wise,taking into account the sales (and previous GW mistakes like 8th edition army sizes, not caring enough about IP in long long long time..) it was right move to change the buisiness model and it is actually working. But it was completely unnecessary to kill they old lore...they could easily started new IP without any ties or having alternate timeline..whatever. Old lore was not perfect one but it offered a place for anyone. And again, problem is not sad/bittersweet/not happy ending at all. Problem is the style of ending. It is like slap/ kicking into butt/ spit into the face of long years fans.....
    3) I bet any D rated Bollywood style movie would have much better ending than current End Times. So yea. Basically scratch End Times and write it again. Even killing majority of characters (with style, reason, realistic way...like GoT at leasts. There is no problem with sudden death especailly in Warhammer universe)..just having some kind of closure. Working closure...Even with burning world at the very end...

Changing something in between old lore? Like why? If you need to change things..why not write completely unrelated stuff at all?
    DMR: (R2) (Attila) (ToB) (Wh1/2) (3K) (Troy)

Thx for your answers, they are insightful!

Plz more people give your opinions. No matter what they are.

LestaT's Avatar Artifex

I think Andy Hall who use to work for GW now works for CA writing for TWWH.

Quote Originally Posted by LestaT View Post
    I think Andy Hall who use to work for GW now works for CA writing for TWWH.
    Cool, cool. Thank you for the info.

If you read the Wiki on GW Warhammer Fantasy Battles it lists most of the important people- then also check out White Dwarf and Black Library and you'll find the names involved. Most of the work in design was done by 2-3 people in the 1980s but elaborated on with expansion and new army books quite a bit so that later editions of army books fight completely different than the first 3 editions though I think from 4-5th edition on most stuff is recognizable.

1) ^ basically what Ichon said. There's been a ton of people behind Warhammer and it's 30 years of history so looking up sources like the wiki is a good call.

2) Meh, great plot ideas but the whole thing was rushed after Nagash's book. Sans Gilles' last charge never being written out, I loved the Bretonnia parts aling with the Lizardmen having epic parts in the story.

As for angry, not really. Writing was on the wall since 8th edition started with more and more rumors of fantasy dying and the dedicated fan sites being at their lowest activity ever. Something bad was bound to happen and when the insiders leaked that Fantasy's profit was a abysmal 5% which put it below painting supply sells, well...

Fortunately they didn't completely go cold turkey on it with the models and they still support the Old World through videogames, card games and a new rpg series(Fantasy, AoS and 40k. Yippee! ) being done by Cubicle7. So at least the Old World will live on off the tabletop.

3) As long as it verges on non-canon, sure. I mean I'd love to see any movie, series or animation for Fantasy but if it rewrites it to where it doesn't feel like Warhammer but another Warcraft movie then I'd say no.

But really, I'd rather things like that stick to canon and further flesh things out (like Gilles' last charge <_<) because between pre- and post-ET there's a lot of stuff in the lore that could do for any series.
    Last edited by Baron of Hyrule; September 14, 2017 at 04:29 AM.

Frunk's Avatar Form Follows Function
    Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Baron of Hyrule View Post
    1) ^ basically what Ichon said. There's been a ton of people behind Warhammer and it's 30 years of history so looking up sources like the wiki is a good call.

2) Meh, great plot ideas but the whole thing was rushed after Nagash's book. Sans Gilles' last charge never being written out, I loved the Bretonnia parts aling with the Lizardmen having epic parts in the story.

As for angry, not really. Writing was on the wall since 8th edition started with more and more rumors of fantasy dying and the dedicated fan sites being at their lowest activity ever. Something bad was bound to happen and when the insiders leaked that Fantasy's profit was a abysmal 5% which put it below painting supply sells, well...

Fortunately they didn't completely go cold turkey on it with the models and they still support the Old World through videogames, card games and a new rpg series(Fantasy, AoS and 40k. Yippee! ) being done by Cubicle7. So at least the Old World will live on off the tabletop.

3) As long as it verges on non-canon, sure. I mean I'd love to see any movie, series or animation for Fantasy but if it rewrites it to where it doesn't feel like Warhammer but another Warcraft movie then I'd say no.

But really, I'd rather things like that stick to canon and further flesh things out (like Gilles' last charge <_<) because between pre- and post-ET there's a lot of stuff in the lore that could do for any series.

Thx @Ichon too for the info. I guess I assumed that just like 40K, a whole host of writers and designers have worked on it. I was more concerned whether or not there was a "George Lucas" type god of the Warhammer world.

A major problem with adapting the Warhammer world is that there are so many factions. Not only is the Old World full of them, but then you have the New World, too (High Elves, Dark Elves, Lizardmen, etc.). Obviously, something like a film trilogy would need to cut down on their involvement. Do you think people would be upset about major cuts to, for example, the Lizardmen being a factor in the End Times?

And cut out that epic scene of the Slaan stopping falling continent-destroying warp-stone moon chunks with such an effort that their hearts explode but they still manage to keep the majority of the Old World from random destruction anyway?

That's quite the missed opportunity. (and that's not counting a number of their other awesome moments that would cause them and Sotek to become a embedded terror of the Skaven down to their very genetic instinct)

I get what you mean though, the enormity of the Old World and catering to all the races is a huge hurdle.

So I think the best solution would be a film series focusing on Gotrek and Felix's journey up to the End Times. There's plenty there already and the Hammer and Bolter short stories showed there were adventures from Araby, the dark lands to Cathay that were left untold.
    Last edited by Baron of Hyrule; September 14, 2017 at 11:07 AM.