Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HTML code question

Default HTML code question

Hi all,

I was wondering how you edit the html in a forum post. My current issue is that I want to create a table of contents on the first post of my AAR so that readers can easily click and jump to the chapter they want to read. Alavaria did this with his/her table of contents with the chapters highlighted in blue and when you click it automatically directs you to the part of the page where that chapter begins. I noticed at the bottom of the forum it says HTML code is OFF in my Posting Permissions. Is this the issue? If so, how can I go about fixing this?
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...n-Empire-VII-3

Caillagh de Bodemloze's Avatar to rede I me delyte
    Content Director Patrician Citizen

Default Re: HTML code question

Hi, TheGovna.

I bring good news - you don't need HTML to do that. (It says HTML code is off in my posting permissions, too, and I have an index in the OP of my AAR.) What you actually need is BB code, and that should be available to you. There's a list of BB code tags on this page, but to save you some time reading through all of that, here's a way to get yourself an index like Alavaria's:

[b][u]Whatever Title You Want Goes Here[/u][/b]

[list=1]
    [*][post=PutPostNumberHere]Chapter One[/post]
    [*][post=PutPostNumberHere]Chapter Two[/post][/list]

Obviously, instead of "Whatever Title You Want Goes Here", put the title you want; instead of "PutPostNumberHere", put the post number you want to link to; instead of "Chapter One" (etc), put the chapter heading you want.

Just in case you've never needed it before, the post number is the long number found at the end of the url for the post. To get it, right click on the thread post number shown in the top right of the post, click on "copy link location", and paste the result somewhere. For your OP in this thread, that link is:

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?757306-HTML-code-question&p=15391385&viewfull=1#post15391385

So the post number for your OP is 15391385. To get a link to it, I could do this:

[post=15391385]Link to TheGovna's OP[/post]

Which results in this:

Link to TheGovna's OP

If you can't be bothered getting the post number every time, you can just use the url instead. To do that, you'd do almost the same thing as above, but the link to each chapter would look like this:

[url="http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?757306-HTML-code-question&p=15391385&viewfull=1#post15391385"]Link to TheGovna's OP[/url]

to give you this:

Link to TheGovna's OP

As you can see, to do that, you just use the whole of the url you get from right-clicking on the thread post number and clicking on "copy link location". As an added bonus, in this case you don't need to type out the BB code by hand. If you type the chapter title, then select all of your chapter title, then click on the "link button" above where you type in the text (it's the one that looks like a globe with some links of a chain in front of it), you can just paste the url into the pop-up that appears, and the board software will do the work for you.

I hope that makes sense. Let me know if not, of course! And I hope it helps.

Commissar Caligula_'s Avatar The Ecstasy of Potatoes

Ooh I never knew that [post] thing. Its better than just url= because it opens in the same window, rather than opening a new window.
    If your Table of Contents is in Post 1 and everything you want to link to is ALSO in Post 1, you can use this page jumps like I did on one of my mods.
    Table of Contents This is an example

Here's the code.
    [FIELDSET2=Table of Contents][anchor=Example_r][jump=Example]This is an example[/jump][/anchor][/FIELDSET2]

[FIELDSET][anchor=Example][jump=Example_r][SIZE=4][B]This is an example[/B][/SIZE][/jump][/anchor]Blah blah blah[/FIELDSET]

The only problem is, it only works within 1 post (as far as I can tell), so if you've got multiple posts throughout the thread with each individual chapter, you'll have to use Caillaigh's [post] trick.
    Last edited by Commissar Caligula_; August 24, 2017 at 07:23 PM.

Caligula, you mean "it only works within one page", right? (I'm sure that must have been a typo.) Jump tags are cool, but both the jump tag and the anchor tag for a specific index entry do have to be on the same page. That's sometimes a slightly annoying restriction - particularly because some people set their preferences to show more or less than 20 posts per page.

TheGovna, I don't think you need all the tags Caligula's putting in, unless you want to be able to jump back to the index from the title of each chapter. I think you could put this in the index (you don't need the
    [list] and [*] tags unless you want them):

[list=1][*][jump=Chapter1]Title of Chapter 1[/jump]
    [*][jump=Chapter2]Title of Chapter 2[/jump][/list]

and then do this for the title of Chapter 1 (in the post containing the chapter itself, I mean):

[anchor=Chapter1][U]Title of Chapter 1[/U][/anchor]

and this for the title of Chapter 2 (in the post containing Chapter 2):

[anchor=Chapter2][u]Title of Chapter 2[/u][/anchor]

and that should work fine to jump from the index to the right chapter (but not back). Provided the post with your index (and the jump tags) and the posts containing Chapters 1 and 2 (and the matching anchor tags for Chapters 1 and 2) are all on the same page, of course.

(You don't have to use "Chapter1", "Chapter2" and so on to label each jump tag - you can label them however you want, so long as the jump tag is marked with the same label as the anchor tag you want to jump to.)

-------

Edited to add jump and anchor tags to and from post 7.

The jump to post 7 will be:
    [jump=ToPost7]Jump to post 7 from post 4[/jump]

which gives us:

Jump to post 7 from post 4

and the anchor for the jump from post 7 to here will be:
    [anchor=ToPost4]Anchor for jump from post 7 to post 4[/anchor]

which results in:

Anchor for jump from post 7 to post 4
    Last edited by Caillagh de Bodemloze; August 25, 2017 at 07:07 AM.

Thanks for the quick feedback. Exactly what I was looking for. I will try implementing this.

I thought you could only have jump anchors within a single post?

I've got this anchor this in Post 6 of this thread, whilst the jump is in post 3. Lets see if it works.
    This is an example
    Blah blah blah

Oh nice it does work, I'll go and update a few posts with this.
    Last edited by Commissar Caligula_; August 24, 2017 at 07:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Caillagh de Bodemloze View Post
    Caligula, you mean "it only works within one page", right? (I'm sure that must have been a typo.) Jump tags are cool, but both the jump tag and the anchor tag for a specific index entry do have to be on the same page. That's sometimes a slightly annoying restriction - particularly because some people set their preferences to show more or less than 20 posts per page.

TheGovna, I don't think you need all the tags Caligula's putting in, unless you want to be able to jump back to the index from the title of each chapter. I think you could put this in the index (you don't need the

and then do this for the title of Chapter 1 (in the post containing the chapter itself, I mean):

I noticed this works well when linking to a chapter within the same post as the index, and it doesn't refresh the page.. but if I want to link to another post it doesn't work? Is that when I need to use the postnumber id code?

Quote Originally Posted by Caligula View Post
    I thought you could only have jump anchors within a single post?

I've got this anchor this in Post 6 of this thread, whilst the jump is in post 3. Lets see if it works.
    This is an example
    Blah blah blah

Oh nice it does work, I'll go and update a few posts with this.
    Everything I know about jump tags I learnt from Shankbot. Any credit should go to him.

Quote Originally Posted by TheGovna View Post
    I noticed this works well when linking to a chapter within the same post as the index, and it doesn't refresh the page.. but if I want to link to another post it doesn't work? Is that when I need to use the postnumber id code?
    No, it should work from one post to another (as long as they're both on the same page). Let me do you an example here. We'll have a jump from this post to post #4 in this thread, and a jump back from #4 to here. The jump to go from here to there will be:
    [jump=ToPost4]Jump to post 4 from post 7[/jump]

which gets us this:

Jump to post 4 from post 7

The anchor for jumping from there to here will be:
    [anchor=ToPost7]Post 7 anchor for jump from post 4[/anchor]

which gets us:

Post 7 anchor for jump from post 4

If you've somehow got the BB code for the jump/anchor tags tied up with the BB code for something else, that can cause trouble. If you have one that doesn't seem to work, and you'd like a second opinion, let me know and I'll happily take a look.

Leonardo's Avatar Reborn Old Timer

Quote Originally Posted by Caillagh de Bodemloze View Post
    I think you could put this in the index (you don't need the

and that should work fine to jump from the index to the right chapter (but not back). Provided the post with your index (and the jump tags) and the posts containing Chapters 1 and 2 (and the matching anchor tags for Chapters 1 and 2) are all on the same page, of course.

(You don't have to use "Chapter1", "Chapter2" and so on to label each jump tag - you can label them however you want, so long as the jump tag is marked with the same label as the anchor tag you want to jump to.)

-------

Edited to add jump and anchor tags to and from post 7.

The jump to post 7 will be:
    [jump=ToPost7]Jump to post 7 from post 4[/jump]

which gives us:

Jump to post 7 from post 4

and the anchor for the jump from post 7 to here will be:
    [anchor=ToPost4]Anchor for jump from post 7 to post 4[/anchor]

which results in:

Anchor for jump from post 7 to post 4
    Have a look for yourself to see what I just posted here. Although, I didn't use the jump back since it is not a long post. Thanks again for explaining how to use the BBCode Anchor tag in a post.
    Under patronage of General Brewster of the Imperial House of Hader.

How to make Morrowind less buggy for new players - Of course every player may find it useful.

You're very welcome!

(I don't usually bother with jumping back, either, unless I've jumped from one post to a different post.)

Hello guys!

I hope I posted in the right forum, I'd like to know how, if possible for a low ranking member as myself, to turn on HTML code in the post? I'm pretty good at it (let's be modest here ) and I might wrote my first AAR in a near future. Looking forward to read your answer.

Thanks.

p.s. I don't mean the BBcode, those are not the same thing, the latter is way more limited.

Given how much useful info there is here on creating clean links and tables of content, I wonder if a moderator wouldn't mind re-naming the thread with something like:

[resource] Creating "Table of Content" and chapter links

From the current thread title it is a bit unclear what one will find inside (which is a treasure trove of information for AAR writers or people with extended creative writing projects) and it would be nice to have that more apparent.
    | Community Creative Writing
    | My Library
    | My Mapping Resources
    | My Nabataean AAR for EBII
    | My Ongoing Creative Writing

Quote Originally Posted by FoggyFogFiggy
    I hope I posted in the right forum, I'd like to know how, if possible for a low ranking member as myself, to turn on HTML code in the post? I'm pretty good at it (let's be modest here ) and I might wrote my first AAR in a near future. Looking forward to read your answer.

Thanks.

p.s. I don't mean the BBcode, those are not the same thing, the latter is way more limited.
    I think you'd need to be an admin to turn it on. From what I've heard, it is not recommended to turn HTML on. I don't know why, since I'm no expert on this but it's supposedly not recommended. I assume that a BB is optimized for BBCode...
    Besides, why would you prefer HTML over BBCode for posts on a BB? The main point of BBCode is that it is simpler (which I thought was impossible before coming to forums) and cuts off all the tags from HTML that you most likely don't need for a post here. (I mean, yes, <ul></ul> is shoter than etc... but that shouldn't be the problem)

FoggyFogFiggy, you'd probably have to ask Augustus Lucifer. He's the tech expert.

Quote Originally Posted by theSilentKiller View Post
    I think you'd need to be an admin to turn it on. From what I've heard, it is not recommended to turn HTML on. I don't know why, since I'm no expert on this but it's supposedly not recommended. I assume that a BB is optimized for BBCode...
    Besides, why would you prefer HTML over BBCode for posts on a BB? The main point of BBCode is that it is simpler (which I thought was impossible before coming to forums) and cuts off all the tags from HTML that you most likely don't need for a post here. (I mean, yes, <ul></ul> is shoter than etc... but that shouldn't be the problem)
    You're right and this is the reason why HTML is disabled in posts.

How to make Morrowind less buggy for new players - Of course every player may find it useful.

... Hm, not sure about that and sounds quite extreme (and am wondering if RMgrrr knows what he's talking about) but I get the point. If allowing one honest and competent person using HTML we'll have to allow it for everyone else. Got it. Thanks anyway.

theSilentKiller > "Besides, why would you prefer HTML over BBCode for posts on a BB?" > This give me the impression you have very little knowledge of what exactly is HTML because if you would you'd know how ridiculous this question is. To be fair, HTML is to BBcode... what NASA is to horoscope. They are quite different and there's a lot, a very great deal of things you can do with HTML (and CSS and so on) that you cannot do with BBcode. And I ask because I could have made some pretty nice presentation for my AAR (After Action Replay) story. That's all. Anyway thanks for your answer!

Quote Originally Posted by FoggyFogFiggy View Post
    And I ask because I could have made some pretty nice presentation for my AAR (After Action Replay) story. That's all. Anyway thanks for your answer!
    Don't give up on the idea of nice presentation, FoggyFogFiggy. If you take some time to look around the WS, I think you'll find examples of AARs that look good. No, you probably can't do exactly what you were planning to, but I'm sure you can some up with something using BB code that will look well-presented.

It's "After Action Report", by the way, not "After Action Replay". You are very welcome to write a blow-by-blow account of a campaign (or a battle) as if it were a replay we're all watching, but you're equally welcome to report on your campaign in lots of other ways.

Alwyn's Avatar Frothy Goodness

Thanks to theSilentKiller, Caligula and Caillagh.

Quote Originally Posted by FoggyFogFiggy View Post
    To be fair, HTML is to BBcode... what NASA is to horoscope. They are quite different and there's a lot, a very great deal of things you can do with HTML (and CSS and so on) that you cannot do with BBcode. And I ask because I could have made some pretty nice presentation for my AAR (After Action Replay) story. That's all. Anyway thanks for your answer!
    Is there something specific which you'd like to do with the presentation of your AAR? Maybe we can help.

As Caillagh said, looking around the Writers' Study for examples of presentation styles you like can work well.

Caillagh also recently said that, if you're not sure how someone did something, then you can select 'Reply with Quote' and then switch to Source Mode (the left-hand button on the line of buttons) to see the code they used. (Of course, you can then click 'Cancel' to avoid posting). Also, two places which I find helpful for using BBCode are the TWC BB Code List and Shankbot's Unofficial Guide for New Members. I'm sorry if I'm telling you things that you already know.
    Last edited by Alwyn; June 30, 2018 at 08:59 AM.

Thanks for the reply Alwyn! I'm already aware that I can see how people do their presentation by clicking "reply with quote", but I can assure you that anyone that knows his way with HTML know how to manage BBcode. The reason I asked was more of a whim than anything else. There's lot of cool effect that can be done with HTML that BBcode don't permit, but it's okay and I have nothing to complain about, BBcode will do just fine. I already have a good idea how I'll construct my presentation. Thanks again mate!

Recently, I discover that all links on TWC Download does not have the same appearance as it has in the forums mentioned here.

Now, after reading the latest Critic's Quill AAR article I notice that CMS articles also have the same appearance as TWC Download, but don't despair there is a useful BBCode to correct that and below is what one need to copy.

Forum link - [URL="paste link"][B][COLOR="#339900"]<text>[/COLOR][/B][/URL]

Colored word - [B][COLOR="#6600cc"]<text>[/COLOR][/B]

The BBCode color tag is the only thing one need to change in order to use a different color than a forum link has.

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/conte...Reports-(AARs) - has the same color as this [URL="paste link"][B][COLOR="#2173b0"]<text>[/COLOR][/B][/URL] BBCode.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast