Thread: ON TAP [a place to discuss your favorite beers ]

Default ON TAP [a place to discuss your favorite beers ]

Please feel free to discuss anything related to beer' reviews, your thoughts, or what Beer is ideally paired with what food.

Interesting video on beer tasting
    GENERAL WEBSITES
    The Beer Advocate

Beer Wiki

UNITED STATES
    Anheuser-Busch (Budweiser)
    Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)
    D.G. Yuengling and Sons
    Miller-Coors (Miller and Coors)
    New Belgium Brewing Company (Fat Tire beer)
    North American Brewery (Labatt Blue)
    Pabst Blue Ribbon
    Sierra Nevada

California
    Anchor

Illinois
    Micro/BrewPubs: 350 | 4204 main Street Brewing | 5 Rabbits Cerveceria | | 718 Beer Cafe | Abbey Ridge Brewery and taproom | Afterthought Brewing | Alarmist Brewing | | | | |
    Distribution: 51st Ward Beer Company | Ale Syndicate | Around The Bend | Chicago Beer Company | Goose Island | Great central Brewing Company | Hop Butcher for the World | Hypothesis Beer Company | Lagunitas | Lake Brothers Beer Company | Middle Brow Beer Company | Revolution Brewing | Small Town Brewery | The Berghoff Brewery | Two Brothers Brewing |

Louisiana
    Regional Distribution: Abita | Dixie Brewing |
    Micro: Bayou Teche | Brieux Carre | Cajun Brewing | Cajun Boyz | Chafunkta | Chappapeela Farms | Covington Brewhouse | Flying Heart | Flying Tiger | Gnarly Barley | Crying Eagle | Great Raft | High Ground | Lafitte Brewing | Mudbug | NOLA | Parish Brewing | Parleaux Beer Lab | Port Orleans | Red Riving Brewing | Royal | Second Line Brewing | Southern Craft Brewing |
    BrewPubs:
    Crescent City Brewhouse | Gordon Biersch Brewery Restaurant | Miel Brewing and Taproom | Old Rail Brewing | Spigots Brewpub | Courtyard Brewing | The Seventh Tap | Tin Roof Brewing | Urban South | Wayward Owl brewing |

BELGIUM
    Chmay
    Duvel

CANADA
    Unibroue

GERMANY
    Erdinger

GREAT BRITAIN
    Samuel Smith

IRELAND
    Guinness
    Last edited by PikeStance; April 02, 2018 at 09:07 AM.

Default Re: ON TAP [a place to discuss your favorite beers ]

Tom Benson owner of the NFL New Orleans Saints and NBA New Orleans Pelicans recently became majority owner of Dixie Beer. The beer was originally owned and brewed in New Orleans, but is currently being brewed in Wisconsin. Benson wanted to bring the beer back where it belonged. For the next two years, the beer will be brewed in Memphis while a brewery is built in New Orleans. The Brewery was destroyed by Hurricane Katrina and the property was purchased by a different company which is why a new facility has to be built elsewhere.

Growing up Dixie beer was synonymous with crawfish boils.

The Article

The term Dixie actually refers to New Orleans. It was later (and erroneously applied to the entire south later). The term originates because New Orleans was founded by the French. Farmers would being their goods down to New Orleans in exchange for a "Dix" note.

The old New Orleans Brewery.

Back in the 90's Dixie Beer made some waves with one of my favorite beers, Blackened Voodoo. In fact, it started my craze for different beers.

Black Lagers are a great choice for those who want more body without the heaviness that is associated with ales. Blackened Voodoo did a good job striking the balance.
    I am not a Beer Expert, but here is the review from Beer Advocate.

I found this interesting video by "Mojo." Given the topic, I thought they did a fair job. I really cannot argue with any the choices per se, though I can an argument for the ranking.

I just bottled my latest batch of beer, a citrus pale ale. The jury is still out if it's drinkable or not. I'm going to test it on Wednesday. The good news is I think I solved my problem with the primer-sugar residue in the bottom of my bottles.

Incredibly envious! I was all set to get started in the hobby when I decided to go international.

La♔De♔Da♔Brigadier Graham's Avatar Artifex♔Duffer♔Civitate
    Patrician Citizen

The Den,with a massive pair of binoculars, surveying TWC, ensuring members are laughing & happy!

Having been an owner of a Bar/Restaurant In indonesia, the Local Brew there was Bintang Beer, it was palatable and I drank many.....hic!
    But I longed for simple pleasures and many patrons brought me back beers from all over the world, one of my favourites was Paderborner Pils from Germany

I was based in Paderborn with the British Army ( What? British you say?...Never) by drinking many, it made me attractive to woman, the life and soul of the party and world champion boxing champ 3 years running!
    Ahh! the memories of being "ring bolted" on parade, the Sgt Major pointing his stick at me and saying "there is excrement at the end of this stick!" me looking up and down his stick and Saying...."not at this end sir!"
    "GET THIS MAN TO JAIL!!!!"

"No problem can withstand the assault of sustained Dufferism"

I enjoy Pilsners from time to time, in my mind it is probably the best balanced beer and immediately what I think of when I think about the general taste of beer. They're far from my favorite though, so maybe that is a bit odd! I might like to help expand your beer reviews here pike, I've been to quite a few breweries in Colorado and Georgia

Gaius Baltar's Avatar Old gods die hard
    Blog Entries

Recently I have been a huge fan of India Pale Ales, my favorite at the moment probably being Sierra Nevada's Double IPA (8%) sold exclusively in cases at COSTCO. IPA was very popular back around 2010 or so, but here lately the offerings have really declined. We used to have at least a dozen or so different brains in the store, now you can only find one or two. Must have been a fad here in the US. Im sold though. I cant really drink anything else. I may have to special order soon.

​​
    Pillaging and Plundering since 2006

The House of Baltar

Neither is this the dawn from the east, nor is a dragon flying above, nor are the gables of this hall aflame. Nay, mortal enemies approach in ready armour. Ravens are calling, wolves are howling, spear clashes and shield answers

Sierra Nevada is a good brewery, I've had some of their stuff. As for IPAs, I'm not a fan at all. Even this latest Pale Ale I made is too close to that spectrum.

I prefer things on the malt end of the spectrum typically, darker beers. I feel like the market is flooded with IPAs though, I can find IPAs year round with no difficulty at all. I can'tfind coffee stouts year round though, to my dismay.