Thread: Hywind: A Morrowind Mod Series

SXFighter's Avatar Civis

Default Hywind: A Morrowind Mod Series

Well after what happened with Warband and my other plans, I promised myself I wouldn't announce anything until I actually had a release.

So here it is:

Woo!
    Isn't that just so globdang clever for a title?

I'm porting stuff to Morrowind, I'd like it to end up as a standalone game using OpenMW but for now I'm just doing a little at a time and releasing things as I go.

My first release is pretty small, just a Hylian race mod, I haven't even ported equipment or even the male "half" of the race yet.
    But Sheikah will soon follow.

Edit: Wizzrobe Magic Tainted version of Hylians released as an optional download. (They have mage based stats, and Lana's palette.)

So anyway, here's the link.

Thanks again Neph for allowing use of your assets.

You guys let me know if there's anything I can do to improve things in any area.
    Last edited by SXFighter; August 01, 2017 at 03:44 PM.

Default Re: Hywind: A Morrowind Mod Series

WOW. Looks pretty good.
    And by the way. She's hot.

Why Morrowind?

SXFighter's Avatar Civis

Quote Originally Posted by Eldren View Post
    WOW. Looks pretty good.
    And by the way. She's hot.
    Thanks a lot, of course most of the credit goes to Neph, (and the modders who made the hair) but I put a lot of work into it to make sure it looked right.

Quote Originally Posted by Codeman11 View Post
    Why Morrowind?
    1. IMO while the other two have their advantages, it's the best of the three.

2. The assets simply wouldn't fit in Skyrim. The disparity in style and quality (poly-count/texture size) is too great. Check out Overmind's thread, his Zora are the level of detail you'd need for Skyrim.

3. Oblivion is way too unstable for a lot of a people, including me.

4. Multiple head mesh usage rather than face-morphs makes things easier on me.

5. Menu/text based dialogue rather than weird silent lip-sync. (I can redesign the dialogue window to look more Zelda inspired in the future.)

6. OpenMW will make the end result free-to-play and overcome many of Morrowind's limitations post 1.0. It's also more stable than MW or any other Bethesda title.

7. If you mean "Why not another RPG?" rather than "Why not a different ES?" - Because the best alternative that I see would be Warband, and modding Python confuses the hell out of me to be honest. I haven't completely given up on it yet though. I looked into using Unreal Engine but the amount of work seems a bit too much for one person, and as of now I have no coding knowledge whatsoever.
    If you mean "Why an RPG?" then it'd be simply because I want Neph's alternate Zelda universe to be in that format as well and it will provide me with plenty of opportunities to challenge/better myself as an artist.

8. Why not? If you're worried about it looking too dated, don't take my half modded screenshot as an example. Here's how MW can really look:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    (Not my images) and there's still an active group of talented artists pushing the limits further. In 5 more years those images will look like pretty bad in comparison.

If you're worried about gameplay mechanics being dated (like combat) I think a lot of that will be addressed by modders post OpenMW 1.0. - I'm personally hoping for radiant AI and Mount & Blade inspired combat with Dark Souls-esque hit reactions and stamina and those things won't be outside the realm of possibility at that point.

9. I'd like to help generate interest in OpenMW. The more people using it, the more modders it will attract, and the better it will be.

10. Because that's what I want to do, and I'm the one putting in the work for it.

I hope that adequately answers your question. Let me know if you still have concerns.