Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Campaign too easy

Default Campaign too easy

So I recentky started playing MTW2 after a really long time and started a campaign with England(I know) at VH/VH and I find it too easy. By the time the mongols have arrived I own more than 40 regions and I've destroyed Scotland, Milan, France and pretty much all Egypt. This takes me back to my last campaign that I played many years ago at VH/VH and i literally owned ALL the world before going to America. Is it really that easy? aybe with another faction?

Default Re: Campaign too easy

Yes, it really is that easy if you understand how to play. I doubt anyone has ever seen the Timurids appear. Part of it is the AI, but M2TW is also very generous with its VH battles compared to the other titles. Definitely try some overhaul mods like Stainless Steel.

Bruno_Magno's Avatar Foederatus

Well, there is a long time i don't play MTW2, so can't say if the game is too easy or not. Nevertheless, i recently bought TW Warhammer and initiate a campaign with the Empire, and i am having a real challenge battling the wood elfs. I lost a lot of armies and i am having real difficulty in winning battles against them, even when the ods are in my favor. And the campaign is in "Medium" difficulty.
    You are, probably, a better player tham i am, but, if you are looking for a more challenging game, try Warhammer and fight those elfs.
    Last edited by lolIsuck; July 28, 2017 at 11:56 AM. Reason: removed pointless google link

UndrState's Avatar Centenarius

Quote Originally Posted by LordKrayt View Post
    So I recentky started playing MTW2 after a really long time and started a campaign with England(I know) at VH/VH and I find it too easy. By the time the mongols have arrived I own more than 40 regions and I've destroyed Scotland, Milan, France and pretty much all Egypt. This takes me back to my last campaign that I played many years ago at VH/VH and i literally owned ALL the world before going to America. Is it really that easy? aybe with another faction?
    First off , yes this game can be this easy even on VH/VH , esp. with the game's default "easy" faction England . Definitely explore other factions , they will be harder . So try Venice or the Byzantines , get out of your comfort zone ; try handicapping yourself ( there are "challenge" threads on the forum , worth checking out ) by trying to have a high Reputation , obtain many Vassals , raise high Chivalry characters without resorting to Crusade spamming ( basically go into battle always at unfavourable odds ) ; turtle , or try a relocation campaign . I would do these things before starting into the mods .

krazyfilmer123's Avatar Libertus

2 days ago i made a post detailing how i conquered the world as Russia. Perhaps you should start a Russian campaign, considering they're the worst faction campaign-wise

Quote Originally Posted by Bruno_Magno View Post
    Well, there is a long time i don't play MTW2, so can't say if the game is too easy or not. Nevertheless, i recently bought TW Warhammer and initiate a campaign with the Empire, and i am having a real challenge battling the wood elfs. I lost a lot of armies and i am having real difficulty in winning battles against them, even when the ods are in my favor. And the campaign is in "Medium" difficulty.
    You are, probably, a better player tham i am, but, if you are looking for a more challenging game, try Warhammer and fight those elfs.
    I'm looking forward to play Warhammer someday but at the moment I'd rather spend some time on MTW2 and its expansions. To the rest, thanks for all your tips, I'll try with another faction or a handicap

As England, it is pretty easy... I came back to MTW2 and started and English campaign as well ( playing SS 6.4 )... It's somewhere around 1230 ( started early campaign 1100 I believe ) and I've killed the Scots, France, Moors, 1/2 of Norway ( those guys expanded fast, so I couldn't let them keep Hamburg ), took a couple cities off Denmark... and the last 3 popes have all been English... hahahahaha... I have something like 250k bucks in the bank... generating over 15k in merchant trade per turn... ( that Moorish city in north africa is netting me crazy gold )

It's still a fun game... and I am spread a bit thin... with a couple mass armies still in North Africa just twiddling their thumbs because I don't want to go to war with Sicily ( allies )... And Demark only recently declared war on me... so most of the fighting is up north...

What annoys me most, is I don't even have long bows yet... and I'm practically poised to hit the mid-east... At this rate, I won't even see late game units in play...

Somehow the Byz empire is still number 1 for military though... not sure how, but whatever...

I still say, for England... Get Edinburgh fast, and turn it into a priest making machine... I think I have 6 or 7 Cardinals now... so every pope election is a joke... Norway got excommunicated for attacking me, so it was a piece of cake to just run them over...

You can edit the descr strat file to give some factions unlimited money. Or you could edit to make the mongols and timirids appear sooner. I think same file.

For the guy who thinks Russia's hard. Russia isn't the hardest faction. It's a fortress. Nobody attacks you and you have amazing horse archers. Turkey is the hardest by far. Not that anyone is hard.

Agree with ^^... I tried Turkey with SS 6.4 twice, and it's a seriously tough campaign... You can expect to be attacked on multiple sides, and the Byz ride down hard with some of their cavalry ( which out matches your guys pretty viciously )

i found a similar thing with alot of the landlocked countries can be very tough to pull through against the hordes of ai armies that they send at you (stainless steel mod)

There is a mod by Jack Lusted (better AI mod) that does not change the game but improves the AI. It makes them smarter on the campaign map and more likely to keep alliances and in battles they play smarter and keep cavalry on the flanks. Still the game is easy. The first one and even Shogun were much harder to beat in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Launcelot View Post
    Agree with ^^... I tried Turkey with SS 6.4 twice, and it's a seriously tough campaign... You can expect to be attacked on multiple sides, and the Byz ride down hard with some of their cavalry ( which out matches your guys pretty viciously )
    I agree that Russia is not that hard if you know what your doing but saying nobody attacks them is not very accurate. Poland attacks them in every single game I play and even some guides say Poland will always attack them. Sometimes the Mongol Horde or Timurids attack them (on rare occasions huns or turks) so they do get attacked by other people.
    Last edited by Frunk; September 12, 2017 at 10:07 AM. Reason: Posts merged.

The vanilla game is too easy if you play using blitz tactics. It's more fun to use the cheat commands to benefit the AI instead too to add to the difficulty.

The tactic of using a draw out for a siege ruins the historical difficulty of many soldiers killed in a siege. As the AI will foolishly sally out, all you have to do is use the elevated terrain and or most distant spot to exhaust the AI, then use your cavalry to flank exhausted infantry and archers.

Handicap yourself by not using the better units and using far less cavalry. In history they would have been terribly expensive,not to mention the horses would die due to distance in transportation plus injuries.

If you autoresolve, then instead fight the battles yourself. Look up nopinkcreations on youtube to learn battle tactics.
    https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCx3_58t7bKJxe43RkIAjjhA
    Last edited by RubiconDecision; September 20, 2017 at 06:57 PM.

hey Laetus,

if it is too easy, try SS6.4 and migrate scotland to most eastern region on the map. don't remember the name, but it is the region in the lower east corner of the map, below the gulf sea. you cannot get further away from your original capital. will take you around 25-30 turns to get there and the fights with turks and mongels are very interesting without a lot of troops and money. it's my favorite, especially when islamic factions call jihad on your newly conquered Bagdad 2 times in a row..

greets, Mc

Frunk's Avatar Form Follows Function
    Artifex

That does sound like a very Scottish thing to do.

lolIsuck's Avatar WE HAVE NO CAKE!
    Patrician Citizen took an arrow to the knee

Hehe, Brits turn into lobsters when on holiday in southern France, just imagine a bunch of Scots in Oman.

yes, lol, and I'm not even scottish, but a dutch nob from amsterdam. still, to get there and make it back within time limits of the game is pretty challenging!

Mc

Quote Originally Posted by MartinMcMartin View Post
    hey Laetus,

if it is too easy, try SS6.4 and migrate scotland to most eastern region on the map. don't remember the name, but it is the region in the lower east corner of the map, below the gulf sea. you cannot get further away from your original capital. will take you around 25-30 turns to get there and the fights with turks and mongels are very interesting without a lot of troops and money. it's my favorite, especially when islamic factions call jihad on your newly conquered Bagdad 2 times in a row..

greets, Mc
    Please refresh my memory, you can't play SS without Kingdoms correct?

NorseThing's Avatar Primicerius

Correct -- SS 6.4 needs Kingdoms. The are some mods that do not need kingdoms. Go and take a peak if you have not already done so.

My dim memory thinks there was a version of SS before kingdoms but it will not be upgradable to SS 6.4.

To give the ai a chance don't manually resolve any battles. The human player will still get to a tipping point of invincibility but it takes abit longer to get there.

If your tired of the AI then I'd suggest trying a Hotseat - http://www.twcenter.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?1535 - you'll find dealing with real players far more challenging, especially in diplomacy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast