Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is Rise of Islam a risk?

Bruno_Magno's Avatar Foederatus

Default Is Rise of Islam a risk?

As for Total War Sagas, one of the historical moments that I would most like to play is the emergence and expansion of Islam. However, with the terrible situation in Europe where terrorism is becaming a commum scene, I fear that the launch of such a game can be seen as a risk.
    I am a Christian and I have always loved games that portrayed the past of my religion and my ancestors, being it one of the characteristics that most appeals to me in Total War games, although I fear that the same is not true for Muslims.
    I would like to know if the Muslim community that participates in this site would find it offensive to launch an eventual Rise of Islam?

Ps: If anything i said was offensive, forgive me, it was not my intention.
    Ps2 : Sorry for my english, it's not my mother language.

Default Re: Is Rise of Islam a risk?

I bet that most would love to play as East Roman empire and crush the "sand barbarians" that are invading your borders.

Quote Originally Posted by betto View Post
    I bet that most would love to play as East Roman empire and crush the "sand barbarians" that are invading your borders.
    I would enjoy playing as both sides. But endure such war with the Byzantines or Visigoths, in Spain, would be very chellanging and fun.

Campidoctor
    Civitate

As long as it starts after Mohammeds death you will be good.

After two medieval games featuring the Crusades...?

The only risk of a Rise of Islam would be the ongoing battle of historical accuracy in a Total War game as always.

As for portraying Mo well you would concentrate on the years after his death.

I would look forward to playing all sides in this interesting period of human history.

Anyway keeping ii serious I always get a nice warm feeling of satifaction sacking Constantinople and Rome with whatever faction I am commanding...

Quote Originally Posted by LinusLinothorax View Post
    As long as it starts after Mohammeds death you will be good.
    yeah muslims can convert churches to mosques and destroy false idols with thousand years no sound from muslim world.... say mohammed.... and kaboom

Anna_Gein's Avatar Primicerius

Imo the biggest risk is to have two blob at the beginning of the campaign (the Roman Empire and the Persian Empire) and no Arabic Conquest to speak of.

I would love a TW game set in medieval Islam but in latter dates. IMO the best would be the 10th century. Before the Crusades.

Quote Originally Posted by Anna_Gein View Post
    Imo the biggest risk is to have two blob at the beginning of the campaign (the Roman Empire and the Persian Empire) and no Arabic Conquest to speak of.

I would love a TW game set in medieval Islam but in latter dates. IMO the best would be the 10th century. Before the Crusades.
    jihad mechanics with anabolics... plagues multifronts wars for persia and east rome . limited recruitment ...

Quote Originally Posted by betto View Post
    yeah muslims can convert churches to mosques and destroy false idols with thousand years no sound from muslim world.... say mohammed.... and kaboom
    That is a real problem Europe is facing right now, and, thanks to Social Democrats, it appears that the old continent has no inner strenth to deal with it.
    After hundreds of years of ill faded military invasions, the muslins will finally acomplish theyr goal, by the never ending imigrating hords.

nnnm's Avatar Senator

I would prefer the rise of the Abbasids and fall of the Ummayads era. There are mods that represents Rome and Sassanids. That era would be much unique. The years from 720-1000 is recommended. From the weakening of the Ummayads to the second Abbassid era where independent Emirates became stronger than Baghdad like Tulonids, Adaresah, Samanids and many more with rise of Buwaihids and Fatimeds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Bruno_Magno View Post
    That is a real problem Europe is facing right now, and, thanks to Social Democrats, it appears that the old continent has no inner strenth to deal with it.
    After hundreds of years of ill faded military invasions, the muslins will finally acomplish theyr goal, by the never ending imigrating hords.
    the funny fact is the that hords are fleeing from war and poverty islamic issues (islam is not just a religion is political and economical system a view of the world should be ) and they want to spred islam...

Even a movie that wanted to show early Islam in a very favorable light, like "The Message" (1976) faced very serious problems as you can see here: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0074896/...ef_=tt_trv_trv ... so a game like that could be very risky, even if they tell anyone that Mohammed wont be shown.

Quote Originally Posted by Pinarius View Post
    Even a movie that wanted to show early Islam in a very favorable light, like "The Message" (1976) faced very serious problems as you can see here: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0074896/...ef_=tt_trv_trv ... so a game like that could be very risky, even if they tell anyone that Mohammed wont be shown.
    Where as in the Turkish 2012 film Fetih 1453 they just had you looking through his perspective not making any sounds. So you can't see or hear him. It was only in for a few minutes at the begining. I assume it was Mo as I can't read or speak Turkish.

Anyway it's a pity with the Age of Charlemagne dlc for Attila they didn't expand the map. I know they had their reasons but it's still a missed opportunity. The equivalent dlc for Crusader Kings 2 covering the same start date is much better in this regards. If you want a challenge play as a Coptic faction...

Is the Charlemagne campaign not already about rise of Islam? Or are we talking narrative Age of Empires style campaigns where you start off as Muhammad and try to conquer Medina and Mecca as your first campaign turns?
    I mean the "rise" of Islam can merely be part of the campaign experience; it is neither wise nor even practical from a game design perspective to limit yourself to something like a Arabia campaign map and you have to guide Muhammad and Abu and so forth to literally recreate the historical narrative.
    It'd be as awkward as a Rise of Christianity campaign that starts with Jesus: you don't need to, it can merely be a starting point in the style of RTW's Barbarian Invasion, where the Romans have some Christian influence and it is up to the player to keep it up or reject it, or anything in between.

So from a game design standpoint the risk is much more on the side of a boring, one-sided narrative campaign unfit for a sandbox sort of game like Total War, as opposed to offending people's sentiments regarding Islam. i mean if you're that careful the end product would probably a boring game to begin with.

Spear Dog's Avatar Primicerius

Moslems would love it, it's sandbox - you get to conquer the world and exterminate the Christians. The OP mods would be legion!

Quote Originally Posted by daelin4 View Post
    Is the Charlemagne campaign not already about rise of Islam? Or are we talking narrative Age of Empires style campaigns where you start off as Muhammad and try to conquer Medina and Mecca as your first campaign turns?
    I mean the "rise" of Islam can merely be part of the campaign experience; it is neither wise nor even practical from a game design perspective to limit yourself to something like a Arabia campaign map and you have to guide Muhammad and Abu and so forth to literally recreate the historical narrative.
    It'd be as awkward as a Rise of Christianity campaign that starts with Jesus: you don't need to, it can merely be a starting point in the style of RTW's Barbarian Invasion, where the Romans have some Christian influence and it is up to the player to keep it up or reject it, or anything in between.
    I dont see the age of charlemagne as an rise of islan, since it is limited to europe and the only realplace the muslins have been defeated. It would be nice to see the strugle against the sassamids and the bysantines, and could be extended to east.
    I dont think cristianit as a beligerant religion in its first centurys, in other hand islan was founded do be spread by faith or by sword.

Quote Originally Posted by daelin4 View Post
    So from a game design standpoint the risk is much more on the side of a boring, one-sided narrative campaign unfit for a sandbox sort of game like Total War, as opposed to offending people's sentiments regarding Islam. i mean if you're that careful the end product would probably a boring game to begin with.
    I cant imagine the game being boring. And i believe the most europeans that are suffering with these regular attacks would disagree with you.

Charlemagne is the earliest campaign we have that features Islam as a religion, and Islamic factions. Any closer and you'd have to do one where they feature Muhammad as faction leader, and if you don't know how Muslims feel about that, then that probably explains why you can't imagine the game being boring.

I also think you need to elaborate on what you consider emergence and expansion of Islam.

Spear Dog's Avatar Primicerius

The expansion of Islam is not much more than a minor tribal war until after the death of the Prophet at any rate. Easy to start with Abu Bakr or later.

bigdaddy1204's Avatar Campidoctor

There is already a Rise of Islam mod for Attila Total War, and I've played it. I've no objection to the idea - I think it would be interesting. Whether CA will make an official game about it though, I personally think unlikely as the developer would probably not want to bother with a sensitive subject.

In response to many of the comments made regarding the rise of Islam itself, I've no interest in debating this subject (done it thousands of times before and sick of it) but I would advise several people in this thread to at least read a book about the subject before posting. One could start with this. Or this. Or even this. Some people are interested to know, some don't really care. Either way, it helps to read up first. Good day.
    Last edited by bigdaddy1204; August 19, 2017 at 03:12 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adar View Post
    I am quite impressed by the fact that you managed to make such a rant but still manage to phrase it in such a way that it is neither relevant to the thread nor to the topic you are trying to introduce to the thread.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast