Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Guide to Getting Great Graphics in Medieval 2 (how to make EB2 look as good as possible)

Default Re: Guide to Getting Great Graphics in Medieval 2 (how to make EB2 look as good as possible)

Quote Originally Posted by Petrobras View Post
    Great suggestion, man! ReShade also didn't worked for me, but GEMFX did! Not sure wich is best, HaHawk preset or the z3n, but since I can just one of them that was a no brainer.
    But let me ask you... WAY BETTER THAN WITHOUT but if there is a single thing that I didn't like in z3n preset is that it too much colorful but especially any white texture becomes to bright. To you know how I can tune it down a bit?
    No worries, glad to share luyspaulo preset I agree with both of you, white texture becomes too bright during loading screen and in campaign map for reading text descriptions. The map also looks a bit dark and I don't know how to tune it down without taking hours to understand the tweaking, so that's why I only use it for field battles (press F9 to activate or deactivate GEMFX).

For the moment, it's the best preset I've found. Feel free to share new ones that could also fit with EBII!
    Last edited by jdofo; December 08, 2017 at 09:53 AM.

Default Re: Guide to Getting Great Graphics in Medieval 2 (how to make EB2 look as good as possible)

Disable Vibrance to tone down colors, with bright white there are more that one factor but most of it is from LiftGammaGain. You can disable it or tone it down.

Quote Originally Posted by YourMadDoc View Post
    Disable Vibrance to tone down colors, with bright white there are more that one factor but most of it is from LiftGammaGain. You can disable it or tone it down.
    Thank you again! Will play with it when I have some time.
    Last edited by jdofo; December 08, 2017 at 09:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jdofo View Post
    Thank you again! Will play with it when I have some time.
    YourMadDoc, could you please upload your modified GEM FX preset as in https://imgur.com/a/E0GHE and campaign map? I presume it's luyspaulo preset modified with your suggestions, but mine doesn't look as good as yours. Thanks in advance, cheers!
    Last edited by jdofo; December 08, 2017 at 09:55 AM.

It is just shader for sharper colors, gaussian blur to cover those 2d sprites a bit and Davinci. Very light, I have like 3 fps loss. I also have Crimson tide blood submod .
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Code:
    none
    Last edited by YourMadDoc; November 14, 2017 at 04:54 PM.

GEMFX_settings_v.FINAL.zip

In case you're still interested, I finally managed to fix the blinding white issue!!! I also slightly decrease the saturation and it finally looks gorgeous in the campaign and battle maps. It's adjusted for my laptop, so you may need to tweak it a bit.

Took me longer than expected, it was more tricky than I had initially thought... but finally, here is attached luyspaulo's GEMFX 1.0.9 preset modified and adapted to Europa Barbarorum II (and presumably, Medieval II Total War mods). It is also very lightweight for FPS in my case. Please, feel free to share your modifications! Cheers

EDIT: Some quick pics:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.jpg 
Views:	909 
Size:	521.8 KB 
ID:	349506 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2.jpg 
Views:	166 
Size:	584.2 KB 
ID:	349507 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3.jpg 
Views:	834 
Size:	479.4 KB 
ID:	349508 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4.jpg 
Views:	257 
Size:	621.8 KB 
ID:	349509 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5.jpg 
Views:	178 
Size:	752.9 KB 
ID:	349533 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6.jpg 
Views:	156 
Size:	614.2 KB 
ID:	349534

P.S: YourMadDoc, thank you again for your modified preset. Unfortunately, Gaussian filter decreases my fps quite a bit... It looks very nice as well, but I kind of like more the contrast of the shadows and lighting in the one attached above.
    Last edited by jdofo; December 08, 2017 at 09:48 AM.

Nice present. Strange that gaussian have so much fps hit for you. I have minimal fps hit no matter what effect I pick. However I had one present, idk which effects I had enabled and my fps on campaign map went down to 5 and it was unplayable, yet in battle, I had no problems. I think it might be due to m2tw settings, gemx effects, and graphic card settings eating up all performance under certain combinations.

Quote Originally Posted by YourMadDoc View Post
    Nice present. Strange that gaussian have so much fps hit for you. I have minimal fps hit no matter what effect I pick. However I had one present, idk which effects I had enabled and my fps on campaign map went down to 5 and it was unplayable, yet in battle, I had no problems. I think it might be due to m2tw settings, gemx effects, and graphic card settings eating up all performance under certain combinations.
    Thanks! I have uploaded 3 presets which I found reasonable. The first version looks darker so, in principle, the final version is more "bright" while keeping the consistency. However, it's not perfect and some environments could still look a bit dark. Anyone, feel free to improve it, but it's a very tricky and time consuming process. I'm quite happy with the results as it's my first post-processing tweaking experience

It's very strange... I have a decent laptop with dGPU but Gaussian filter noticeably hits my FPS. AmbienteLight and its related effects decrease very few FPS, but it's definitely worth the loss for dynamic lighting. Apart from that, I deactivated GEMFX FXAA (FPS loss) and use in-game 8x anti-aliasing and Lumasharpen without any loss... Makes no sense to me either, it could be what you refered.

EDIT: I removed prior versions for the sake of simplicity. Let me know if someone wants to try them in case they might look better in their PCs.
    Last edited by jdofo; December 08, 2017 at 09:49 AM.

Having so many effects may cause problems with too dark or too colorfull image in certain time of a day.Replacing gemfx fxaa with lumasharpen was a good call. Soldiers looks as sharp and detailed as they can be

Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by YourMadDoc; November 23, 2017 at 10:38 AM.

Great preset as well. Lumasharpen brings M2TW engine back to life! I used Macedonian UI as a test basis for determining white level, as it can become too bright.

Overall, it seems quite complicated to get a preset which perfectly fits into all environments/day time variables.

More pics:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	7.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	883.9 KB 
ID:	349540 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	8.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	830.4 KB 
ID:	349541 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	9.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	879.0 KB 
ID:	349542 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	10.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	794.7 KB 
ID:	349543 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	11.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	870.5 KB 
ID:	349544

EDIT: Updated final version
    Last edited by jdofo; December 08, 2017 at 09:56 AM.

this is a bit off topic but I suppose you guys are using these postfx utilities for other TW games as well?
    If so anyone knows how to get proper Anti-aliasing ingame without using that simple postprocessing FXAA thing toggle on/off that only makes all things muddy and you still have pretty visible jagged lines ?

Tried to force it through my 3d settings in Nvidia CP with both Enhance and Override application settings mode. I also use DSR but no avail.

Saw this old post for using a postprocessing utility
    https://forums.totalwar.com/discussi...erformance-hit
    but I but I don't know how actual is it.

Are there more proper ways of doing this without affecting the performance too much. I only want antialising and no other graphic enhancements/filters. What are you guys using?

Last edited by Kranos; November 29, 2017 at 12:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Agathodaimon View Post
    this is a bit off topic but I suppose you guys are using these postfx utilities for other TW games well?
    If so anyone knows how to get proper Anti-aliasing ingame without using that simple postprocessing FXAA thing toggle on/off that only makes all things muddy and you still have pretty visible jagged lines ?

Tried to force it through my 3d settings in Nvidia CP with both Enhance and Override application settings mode. I also use DSR but no avail.

Saw this old post for using a postprocessing utility
    https://forums.totalwar.com/discussi...erformance-hit
    but I but I don't know how actual is it.

Are there more proper ways of doing this without affecting the performance too much. I only want antialising and no other graphic enhancements/filters. What are you guys using?

If you are playing in windowed mode, forcing anti-aliasing within nVIDIA Control Panel doesn't work. If you're playing fullscreen, are you using an Optimus laptop? This really helped in my case. Nevermind if V-Sync not working isn't your symptom, but if you're playing in fullscreen and unsuccessfully forcing AA in nVIDIA CP, it could be iGPU/dGPU (Optimus) conflict.

If none of the above is your problem, try to force AA in-game and use GEMFX Lumasharpen filter (SweetFX) configuration. You can copy Lumasharpen configuration from our modded GEMFX profiles. Cheers
    Last edited by jdofo; December 08, 2017 at 09:56 AM.

Miles

By removing the super ugly muddy strat map stuff

Quote Originally Posted by jdofo View Post
    If you are playing in windowed mode, forcing anti-aliasing within nVIDIA Control Panel doesn't work. If you're playing fullscreen, are you using an Optimus laptop? This really helped in my case. Nevermind if V-Sync not working isn't your symptom, but if you're playing in fullscreen and unsuccessfully forcing AA in nVIDIA CP, it could be iGPU/dGPU (Optimus) conflict.

If none of the above is your problem, try to force AA in-game and use GEMFX Lumasharpen filter (SweetFX) configuration. You can copy Lumasharpen configuration from our modded GEMFX profiles. Cheers
    Disabled windowed mode but doesn't seem to have any effect. Tried with both in game antialiasing on and off.

How to get that thing for Rome 2? The ingame AA though doesn't do any noticeable job. The jagged lines remain while the other textures just get muddy and blurry. Still recommend that?

That picture looks like there is no AA applied at all. I haven't played that game but it looks like something went wrong. Does it have to look like that? If not you could revert to default and disable all postprocessing and overrides on a graphic card. Then start over.

well there were complaints about that far back in 2013. Everyone hoped there will be true AA in the game but never happened.

The ingame AA is that cheap FXAA which doesn't seem to have any kind of effect on textures that actually need it like units spears and sarisas. Instead the rest of the textures become pretty much unsharped.

Reshade still doesn't work for me, so I'm going to try GEMFX. It looks great but which version should I install?

Mine says 1.0.9

Quote Originally Posted by Weltschmerz View Post
    Reshade still doesn't work for me, so I'm going to try GEMFX. It looks great but which version should I install?
    Yes, GEMFX 1.0.9
    Last edited by jdofo; December 08, 2017 at 09:57 AM.

Thank you both. I installed it and used jdofo's preset to tone down the white.
    And it's gorgeous! I swear even the campaign map looks better now.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast