Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Guide to Getting Great Graphics in Medieval 2 (how to make EB2 look as good as possible)

Default Re: Guide to Getting Great Graphics in Medieval 2 (how to make EB2 look as good as possible)

Hey jdofo, your preset works with GemFX but not reshade right? Sorry I'm still very new at this.

Default Re: Guide to Getting Great Graphics in Medieval 2 (how to make EB2 look as good as possible)

Quote Originally Posted by ipickert55 View Post
    Hey jdofo, your preset works with GemFX but not reshade right? Sorry I'm still very new at this.
    Yes, it's a preset for GEMFX 1.0.9. #46

I heard that there might be better performance through ReShade, so I might adapt this preset in the future when I find some time. Enjoy it!

I've had some problems getting Reshade to work, I have followed the instructions in the video to the letter 3 times, and each time I complete the steps the game fails to start, the only way to get the game running again is a clean install, which also means I have to go through the hassle of reinstalling this great mod. Has anyone else encountered problems like this? where the game and mod is working fine, but attempted Reshade installation breaks the game. I wish I could remember the error message, as I'm sure that would be helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Inamabilis Sciurus Rubrum View Post
    I've had some problems getting Reshade to work, I have followed the instructions in the video to the letter 3 times, and each time I complete the steps the game fails to start, the only way to get the game running again is a clean install, which also means I have to go through the hassle of reinstalling this great mod. Has anyone else encountered problems like this? where the game and mod is working fine, but attempted Reshade installation breaks the game. I wish I could remember the error message, as I'm sure that would be helpful.
    It sounds like there's something wrong with your configuration file (medieval2.preference.cfg) rather than reshade, since reshade does not alter any game files. Did you copy/paste the CFG from the video description? If so, perhaps your resolution is incorrect or something similar. There will never be a reason to have to re-install the game as a result of reshade (which is just a few files put into the M2TW directory — they can be deleted manually in a few seconds). Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by HaHawk View Post
    It sounds like there's something wrong with your configuration file (medieval2.preference.cfg) rather than reshade, since reshade does not alter any game files. Did you copy/paste the CFG from the video description? If so, perhaps your resolution is incorrect or something similar. There will never be a reason to have to re-install the game as a result of reshade (which is just a few files put into the M2TW directory — they can be deleted manually in a few seconds). Good luck!
    Thanks for the reply, I copied manually as I was unsure about the fact that I had some items in my list that were absent in yours and vice versa, so I identified the ones that were present in both but had different values and changed those, the mod is running perfectly, however whenever I attempt to implement ReShade that's when the problems occur. I may give it one last go, but will finish my current campaign first.

AnthoniusII's Avatar Μέγαc Δομέστικοc

I believe that with external graphics programms each mod loses its identity.
    Explain. Each modding team desides what kind of essense their creation will make. That includes the style of texturing, the style of models , the enviroment , minor mods like better sky or water etc.
    By changing that essense you no longer play that mod.
    Back in years what JMRC (this mod's animator) helped me in an animation I offered him my total collection of Marka fixed horses in the shapes his team would desire as a move of gratidute.
    He explained that his mod would keep their horses because they fit 100% to the style of the units they mount them and MARKA horses would look alien to the mod.
    In this link you can see the diference in style (not better not worse-just diferent style) of our mod to this wonderfull one! The images are snapshots without any changes from te battle field.
    My humble sugestion is to play EACH mod with its UNIQUE essense it offers to us all. Feel what its creators wanted you to feel playing it. That includes minimods unit additions.
    PLEASE do not use other mods units as addition to this mod or another. The diferenece of styles will ruin the easthetics.
    Play this mod as is...Enjoy it...learn from it and its creators years of hard work.
    TGC in order to continue its development seak one or more desicated scripters to put our campaign scripts mess to an order plus to create new events and create the finall missing factions recruitment system. In return TGC will give permision to those that will help to use its material stepe by step. The result will be a fully released TGC plus many mods that will benefit TGC's material.
    Despite the mod is dead does not mean that anyone can use its material
    read this to avoid misunderstandings.

IWTE tool master and world txt one like this, needed inorder to release TGC 1.0 official to help TWC to survive.
    Adding MARKA HORSES in your mod and create new varietions of them. Tutorial RESTORED.

Quote Originally Posted by AnthoniusII View Post
    I believe that with external graphics programms each mod loses its identity.
    Explain. Each modding team desides what kind of essense their creation will make. That includes the style of texturing, the style of models , the enviroment , minor mods like better sky or water etc.
    By changing that essense you no longer play that mod.
    Back in years what JMRC (this mod's animator) helped me in an animation I offered him my total collection of Marka fixed horses in the shapes his team would desire as a move of gratidute.
    He explained that his mod would keep their horses because they fit 100% to the style of the units they mount them and MARKA horses would look alien to the mod.
    In this link you can see the diference in style (not better not worse-just diferent style) of our mod to this wonderfull one! The images are snapshots without any changes from te battle field.
    My humble sugestion is to play EACH mod with its UNIQUE essense it offers to us all. Feel what its creators wanted you to feel playing it. That includes minimods unit additions.
    PLEASE do not use other mods units as addition to this mod or another. The diferenece of styles will ruin the easthetics.
    Play this mod as is...Enjoy it...learn from it and its creators years of hard work.
    Well, I agree on the essence of the message, but I have to disagree in the generalisation and exaggeration.

EBII on my high-end laptop (emphasising it is not a potato, only that) doesn't look near as good as the EBII twitter unit previews pictures. On the contrary, I have this fake oversaturated and artificial colours/contrast/lighting from original M2TW, and that really kills all the hard work accomplished by EBII team. I have already asked them what do they use in order to get that quality but didn't get any reply. So I felt oblied to tweak an external graphics program (GEMFX profile #46) for the first time, in order to fully enjoy EBII as it deserves. It took me many hours/days to enhance the graphics while keeping EBII design essence, and I humbly believe that it is a good compromise for other people that might have felt the same. You will still play EBII, do not dramatise.

The conclusion is that it depends on the hardware/software everyone has in order to play it (e.g. screen calibrations and personal preference, of course). I agree that there are many presets for games which over do it and I dislike them as well, but that doesn't mean that using an external graphical injector is killing the work made by splendid modders if done right (quite the opposite, it can bring back an engine to its glory days). Trust me, it is very tricky and challenging, even a decimal variation within a parameter among tons of them can make a whole difference for better or worse. Without these tweaks, I could barely enjoy EBII as I enjoy it now, so let people decide what they need, as they can even disagree with some decisions. That's the beauty of mods, submods and so on, no one is forcing you to use them but there is always another step for creativity. In fact, even sometimes submods become better than the original mod (becoming another mod in itself), so just play as you prefer and let others play as they want too. Cheers!
    Last edited by jdofo; May 15, 2018 at 06:40 PM.

Turek's Avatar Foederatus

All sing praises to HaHawk for this awesome tutorial. After years of away from older TW games like RTW & MTW II I recently reinstalled them and revisited TWCenter for mods and stuff. I started playing Stainless Steel and thought to myself - "This is so much better than I remembered, if only there would be a way to enhance the graphics somehow.." - then I found this thread.

I have a few questions though, regarding the ReShade versions. I found your MediaFire download links and noticed the instructions on the video to download the ReShade Framework 1.1.0.Zz to use with your presets, however in the parent directory there's also ReShade with SweetFX 2.0.Zz?

In addition regarding ReShade 3.xx, does it have significant improvements over Reshade 1.1.0? Can your presets be imported to be used with the ReShade 3.xx version?

Just posting to say thank you for this HaHawk, this has added so much to my enjoyment of battles, and even my campaign map.

Does anyone else get random laggy battles? I've played with over 4k troops flawlessly but sometimes just a 1k stack lags like hell, really weird. Figured it was the reflections on water in one situation, disabled that and it worked but i encountered the problem again later, im really confused.... (sorry for posting this here, idk where else to do it)

It happens to me at Pharos battlemap.
    изишо је тад домаћин тмури
    и сву штенад потрпо у џак.

Quote Originally Posted by Turek View Post
    I noticed the instructions on the video to download the ReShade Framework 1.1.0.Zz to use with your presets, however in the parent directory there's also ReShade with SweetFX 2.0.Zz? In addition regarding ReShade 3.xx, does it have significant improvements over Reshade 1.1.0? Can your presets be imported to be used with the ReShade 3.xx version?
    As far as I know, all of the newer versions work with M2TW, but I made the video a while back with presets I'd already created and fine-tuned in the previous version. The newer versions of ReShade have a different GUI and, unfortunately, are not compatible with older presets. However, you can still use a newer version and create your own presets. I believe the latest version offers slightly enhanced performance, so it's worth experimenting with (nothing crazy, but perhaps a 5-10% gain in FPS performance).

Quote Originally Posted by Cassibellane View Post
    Just posting to say thank you for this HaHawk, this has added so much to my enjoyment of battles, and even my campaign map.
    Great, glad to hear it. That's the whole point! After a few months I realized more people needed to see how, even after all these years, this game still has some tricks up its sleeve!

Live2sculpt's Avatar Senator

Are there any other instructions for using Reshade? Particularly the version you demonstrated and the use of your Presets? I'm trying to avoid spending too much of my gaming time trying to puzzle out how to use the program on my own.
    Last edited by Live2sculpt; December 02, 2019 at 06:24 PM.

Roma_Victrix's Avatar Call me Ishmael

Trying to get a better laptop for Christmas to have a smoother gaming performance, since the HP Pavilion one I have is crap, only has 2.6 GHZ processor, 6 GB of RAM, and HD Family Graphics card. Eww, gross! I realize laptops in general aren't ideal for gaming and a desktop is always the better solution, but I need to get a laptop, non-negotiable. I'm looking at an Acer Aspire 5 Slim with 8 GB of RAM, a 3.9 GHZ Core i5 processor, a 2 GB NVIDIA GeForce MX250 graphics card, but has only 512 GB of flash memory storage space (current computer has over 750 GB). I'm only using up like 415 GB or so of my current hard drive, though, and I have a 1 TB external hard drive that I could move stuff onto (doing that anyway with backups of everything).

What do you guys think? I'm trying to keep it within a reasonable price range, below $1000 now that it's cyber Monday on Amazon, so I can get pretty good deals on stuff. Current Acer Aspire Laptop I'm talking about is $590, knocked down from $649.

Buying a new computer for the sake of EB2, now that's soldiering!

z3n's Avatar State of Mind
    Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Roma_Victrix View Post
    Trying to get a better laptop for Christmas to have a smoother gaming performance, since the HP Pavilion one I have is crap, only has 2.6 GHZ processor, 6 GB of RAM, and HD Family Graphics card. Eww, gross! I realize laptops in general aren't ideal for gaming and a desktop is always the better solution, but I need to get a laptop, non-negotiable. I'm looking at an Acer Aspire 5 Slim with 8 GB of RAM, a 3.9 GHZ Core i5 processor, a 2 GB NVIDIA GeForce MX250 graphics card, but has only 512 GB of flash memory storage space (current computer has over 750 GB). I'm only using up like 415 GB or so of my current hard drive, though, and I have a 1 TB external hard drive that I could move stuff onto (doing that anyway with backups of everything).

What do you guys think? I'm trying to keep it within a reasonable price range, below $1000 now that it's cyber Monday on Amazon, so I can get pretty good deals on stuff. Current Acer Aspire Laptop I'm talking about is $590, knocked down from $649.
    You'd probably get more opinions if you post here.
    The AI Workshop Creator
    Europa Barbaroum II AI/Game Mechanics Developer
    The Northern Crusades Lead Developer
    Classical Age Total War Retired Lead Developer
    Rome: Total Realism Animation Developer
    RTW Workshop Assistance MTW2 AI Tutorial & Assistance
    Broken Crescent Submod (M2TW)/IB VGR Submod (BI)/Animation (RTW/BI/ALX)/TATW PCP Submod (M2TW)/TATW DaC Submod (M2TW)/DeI Submod (TWR2)/SS6.4 Northern European UI Mod (M2TW)

After failing to get the HaHawk stuff to work I tried the GEMFX stuff but that stops the steam EB launcher from working.

Edit: BE WARNED. I don't know what happened but somehow GEMFX 1.0.9 broke my installation. Had to reinstall everything.

4 hours and two complete reinstalls later. I give up.
    Last edited by bismarck 1899; April 17, 2021 at 05:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by bismarck 1899 View Post
    After failing to get the HaHawk stuff to work I tried the GEMFX stuff but that stops the steam EB launcher from working.

Edit: BE WARNED. I don't know what happened but somehow GEMFX 1.0.9 broke my installation. Had to reinstall everything.

4 hours and two complete reinstalls later. I give up.
    I don't use Steam so I cannot tell, but if you installed GEMFX, you only need to be a little attentive and simply manually delete the files that have been installed/copied by GEMFX into your M2TW folder... and voilá, your game works again!

GEMFX, ReShade or similar won't break your game installations as these only add files that can be deleted if not working for your computer/game for some reason (it sometimes happens), but no original files of the games are modified, thus no game installation gets broken, from my experience.

Quote Originally Posted by jdofo View Post
    I don't use Steam so I cannot tell, but if you installed GEMFX, you only need to be a little attentive and simply manually delete the files that have been installed/copied by GEMFX into your M2TW folder... and voilá, your game works again!

GEMFX, ReShade or similar won't break your game installations as these only add files that can be deleted if not working for your computer/game for some reason (it sometimes happens), but no original files of the games are modified, thus no game installation gets broken, from my experience.
    GemFX has no uninstaller (I think) and when EB wouldn't start, I tried to find all the files GEMFX install but not all are apparently called GEMFXsomething. Reshade was less of a problem. I don't know what GEMFX does but 1.0.9 and 2.2 both blocked the EB steam launcher.

Quote Originally Posted by bismarck 1899 View Post
    GemFX has no uninstaller (I think) and when EB wouldn't start, I tried to find all the files GEMFX install but not all are apparently called GEMFXsomething. Reshade was less of a problem. I don't know what GEMFX does but 1.0.9 and 2.2 both blocked the EB steam launcher.
    It's been a few years since I checked this... Yes, it's also possible that GEMFX doesn't use the same naming consistency as ReShade, so it's harder to find the files.

However, if I correctly recall, you can extract GEMFX files (installer) to a random folder (e.g. New folder within Desktop) to see what files does GEMFX add into a game folder. Thus, you know how many files and which ones specifically you have to remove within the game folder based on their name. This worked for me previous times and never had to reinstall any game.

I cannot say about Steam, I stay away from such "business model" as much as possible...
    Last edited by jdofo; April 17, 2021 at 02:12 PM.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast