Thread: Adding Custom Animations to Shogun2

Default Adding Custom Animations to Shogun2

Hello All,

I am pleased to announce that with the help of brad over at uu3d, we have finally found the solution to adding custom animations into shogun2.

The updated and fixed plugin you can find HERE

I will write this short guide on how to do this.

1) First thing you will need is a licensed copy of Ultimate unwrap 3d.

2) Put the plug in in uu3ds plugin folder, open uu3d and make sure the plug in is running. (info plugin)

3) Choose file--> open , and navigate to a shogun2 mesh.variant_part_mesh file you wish to use.

4) one the next screen click animation options and choose a .anim file from shogun2 you wish to edit.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

5) You can preview your animation, by clicking animate/play. After that go to Save as and save as a .fbx file

6) Open this FBX file in 3ds max , make the animation changes you like and re-export as an FBX file.

7) Open your FBX file in UU3D and Delete the bone "uu3d mesh"

8) Choose File --> save as "weighted variant mesh" , on the next window under game type, make sure "shogun 2 anim only" is selected, and also select both Misc options export anim and transform vertices to rest pose. ( it is also recommended exporting to a new folder as the .anim file will overwrite other older ones etc)

After that take your anim file, rename it accordingly, and add it to your mod pack. As far as making it useable, make sure something under the battleconfig scripts is pointing to the new file and that your directory hierarchy is correct
    (as i ran into having "shoguns_animation" instead of "shogun_animation" in my modpack which took me awhile to figure out why this wasnt working)

Thanks for the read, Good luck and happy modding.

Primergy's Avatar Protector of the Union

Default Re: Adding Custom Animations to Shogun2

Awesome!

And thank you for writing it down!

Is this only for the 64bit version? I have a 32bit version.

Perfect, +...rep

It is possible to import a Rome 2 animation or edit S2 animation using R2 animation e.g merge them or use R2 animation in someway to change S2 animation like it, e.g sword & shield animation of R2, I mean it is possible to edit S2 animations in someway using R2 animations? & both of the animations are in FBX format in 3Ds max. Or we should only edit S2 animations & create new animations from them?? In easy word: it is possible to convert R2 FBX to S2 FBX in 3Ds max? However I know they have different skeletons, maybe retargeting animation is a good way but I donno.
    Last edited by asadyan; February 03, 2018 at 10:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by izzi View Post
    Is this only for the 64bit version? I have a 32bit version.
    Not sure if it would work izzi, I only have the 64 bit version. I would say you have a pretty good chance though

Quote Originally Posted by asadyan View Post
    It is possible to import a Rome 2 animation or edit S2 animation using R2 animation e.g merge them or use R2 animation in someway to change S2 animation like it, e.g sword & shield animation of R2, I mean it is possible to edit S2 animations in someway using R2 animations? & both of the animations are in FBX format in 3Ds max. Or we should only edit S2 animations & create new animations from them?? In easy word: it is possible to convert R2 FBX to S2 FBX in 3Ds max? However I know they have different skeletons, maybe retargeting animation is a good way but I donno.
    Like I said on steam,
    I have never opened any ROME II files, so I cant really tell you anything.

I would speculate that anything is possible, and infact it would be quite easy if they used the same Skeleton. If they don't I imagine it could get quite challenging and you could possibly batch convert the R2 Skeleton into a S2 skeleton somehow for all the R2 files?

Im not sure, I wish you Good luck and let me know if you have any progress.
    Last edited by Havie; February 03, 2018 at 09:13 PM.

My Mods
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    TW Arena Campaign Generals (R2)
    Achilles (2018) mod

Quote Originally Posted by Havie View Post
    Like I said on steam,
    I have never opened any ROME II files, so I cant really tell you anything.

I would speculate that anything is possible, and infact it would be quite easy if they used the same Skeleton. If they don't I imagine it could get quite challenging and you could possibly batch convert the R2 Skeleton into a S2 skeleton somehow for all the R2 files?

Im not sure, I wish you Good luck and let me know if you have any progress.
    Im not sure but seems retargeting r2 animations is easier than edit s2 animations & make new ones from them,
    Here is a tutorial video shows retargeting easily via UE4 software: Link
    although editing of animations is good specially when we wanna create a new one animation completely.
    Last edited by asadyan; February 04, 2018 at 12:14 AM.

Currently my 3ds max has decided to start having an odd issue where my 2010 version refuses to play any animations when scrubbed on the timeline....

If anyone knows how to fix this, please PM me.

My Mods
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    TW Arena Campaign Generals (R2)
    Achilles (2018) mod

Hi
    I have problem with export anim file to fbx. When I export to FBX animation FPS and length will be changed (for example, 20 FPS changed to 12.5 FPS) - should it be like that?

Quote Originally Posted by Sara Temer View Post
    Hi
    I have problem with export anim file to fbx. When I export to FBX animation FPS and length will be changed (for example, 20 FPS changed to 12.5 FPS) - should it be like that?
    Hi, did you fix this prob mate?

Problem with frames and lenght I just ingnored
    And I have another problem - in export to .anim option not work add animation events. I mean, I can add animation events in program but this doesn't exist in exported .anim file :/
    Wolf girl who likes to draw anime girls ❤️ DeviantArt, Twitter
    Also mad creator of

One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,

One Ring to bring them all, and in the darkness bind them,
    TWCenter Forum, MODDB, Patreon

I tried open and re-export elephant animation from Empire, but always I have this error (no matter than I try export this as Empire file or Shogun 2 file).

Any idea what I should do with this?
    Also mad creator of

Primergy's Avatar Protector of the Union

You have to reduce the bones per vertex to max 2.

Oh, I found this option, thanks ^^ BTW. it is possible to add empire skeletons to Shogun 2 file import menu? If I would want to import elephant model and animation to UU3D which I exported to Shogun before
    Also mad creator of

How did you import the full model? In shogun 2 Models2.pack, the only files i can import are Unit_Part meshes, which i can only import individually if i want to attach an animation to it.
    would it be possible to import equipment as well, such as weapons?