Thread: Challenge -Mhadist sudan survives .

Default Challenge -Mhadist sudan survives .

Can't write much on smartphone.Title explains it all .Please help .Needed for new writing .
    100% mobile poster so pls forgive grammer

hellheaven1987's Avatar Comes Domesticorum

Default Re: Challenge -Mhadist sudan survives .

Probably same road as ISIS today, since they behaved pretty much the same and with similar goal.
    Quote Originally Posted by Markas View Post
    Hellheaven, sometimes you remind me of King Canute trying to hold back the tide, except without the winning parable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Diocle View Post
    Cameron is midway between Black Rage and .. European Union ..

Would like if you could kindly elaborate .

Campidoctor
    Civitate

Well, the goal of the Mahdi was ultimately to unite the entire Dar-al-Islam, which could obviously only be accomplished by conquest. The colonial powers wouldn't tolerate that and the majority of the Muslims wouldn't tolerate that. English, French, Italians or Ethiopians crushing that semi-Medieval state would only be a matter of time.

hellheaven1987's Avatar Comes Domesticorum

Quote Originally Posted by LinusLinothorax View Post
    the goal of the Mahdi was ultimately to unite the entire Dar-al-Islam
    Not just that, Mahdi also was an anti-Imperialism force and deployed terror doctrine; the beheading of "infidel" Chinese Gordon was a considerable shock to British public at that time and played a minor role in British's direct intervention (although British's main reason of direct intervention was to prevent its spreading into Egypt, which the secular Egyptian public fear). That was why when IS made its first appearance I just told TWC "yeah Islam is playing its old again."

Literally the IS of 19th Century or you can claim IS is just Mahdi of 21st Century; the only difference is China was not strong enough that time to make an oversea expedition, otherwise Qing government could legally declare war on Mahdi for beheading a "Chinese" officer (Chinese Gordon officially was a military rank officer in Qing China).
    Last edited by hellheaven1987; July 21, 2017 at 01:37 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Markas View Post
    Hellheaven, sometimes you remind me of King Canute trying to hold back the tide, except without the winning parable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Diocle View Post
    Cameron is midway between Black Rage and .. European Union ..

Campidoctor
    Civitate

Quote Originally Posted by hellheaven1987 View Post
    Not just that, Mahdi also was an anti-Imperialism force and deployed terror doctrine; the beheading of "infidel" Chinese Gordon was a considerable shock to British public at that time and played a minor role in British's direct intervention (although British's main reason of direct intervention was to prevent its spreading into Egypt, which the secular Egyptian public fear). That was why when IS made its first appearance I just told TWC "yeah Islam is playing its old again."
    Quranic verses like these are cetrainly put into praxis by both parties:

"[Remember] when your Lord inspired to the angels, "I am with you, so strengthen those who have believed. I will cast terror into the hearts of those who disbelieved, so strike [them] upon the necks and strike from them every fingertip." (8:12)

Thanks you for you replies ,But a challenge is a challenge,please is there no way .

LaMuerte's Avatar Senator

- Churchill's The River War won't be written. Not that it would have a big impact on history. Although Churchill might become less militaristic due to this war, which might influence WW1 and WW2.
    - I wonder if the explorer Stanley would have been sent to rescue of Emin Pasha. Or if Stanley would have been sent, if he would be able to reach Emin Pasha, let alone get back alive.
    - Endemic slave raids into the Congo region. Zanzibar kicks out Western diplomats and allies with the Mhadi regime.
    Last edited by LaMuerte; August 22, 2017 at 05:18 PM. Reason: v

bigdaddy1204's Avatar Campidoctor

I'd say their destruction was prettymuch inevitable, because they wanted to attack in all directions at once, against greatly superior enemies, while using inferior technology. They had no concept of diplomacy, compromise or public relations. They didn't have modern weapons nor any industrial base, nor a strong economic and demographic position.

Had they limited themselves to holding back the Egyptians and their British masters, they might just have had a chance, although it would have been difficult. A guerilla campaign might just have worked, but it would be difficult in that terrain as there are no mountains and all the population and wealth is concentrated in a small area near the Nile which is relatively easy to defend.

At core i think their ideology was too idealistic and not pragmatic enough to work in the time and conditions of the period. It would have taken far more diplomatic leadership, perhaps allying with the French or some other power, to give them a real shot at independence. But their goal was too global for that. It could never realistically work without changing the path of the movement itself, imo.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adar View Post
    I am quite impressed by the fact that you managed to make such a rant but still manage to phrase it in such a way that it is neither relevant to the thread nor to the topic you are trying to introduce to the thread.

LaMuerte's Avatar Senator

(what does challenge in this thread exactly mean? sticky doesn't explain)

I mean show a way for it to survive .