Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: “Toutatis Favours The Brave” (A Nervii CiG AAR) [Updated 14th February 2021]

Skotos of Sinope's Avatar Macstre Gaposal

Default Re: “Toutatis Favours The Brave” (A Nervii CiG AAR) [Updated 2nd January 2019]

A great return to form. And once again, Welsh Dragon proves to be the master of the cliffhanger.

+1 rep.

Welsh Dragon's Avatar Content Staff

Default Re: “Toutatis Favours The Brave” (A Nervii CiG AAR) [Updated 2nd January 2019]

Quote Originally Posted by Turkafinwë View Post
    Glad to see it return! It has it all, some light-hearted storytelling round the campfire, to the more sombre recountance of Ambriorix reign of terror and a glimmer hope for the Eburones with their new Chieftain, ending in a cliffhanger.

Thank you.

As it happens, this particular chapter went through quite a few changes during writing that lead to it being this mixture of elements you highlighted. Originally the campfire story was going to be an account of the events within the walls during the Battle of Atuatuca. But it just didn't really fit, and seemed kinda callous given I knew there were going to be Eburone among those listening. Then it was just going to be a very short establishing scene to take me into Boduognatus walking away from the group. But that didn't feel right either. So I then decided to turn it into a good old fashioned group of warriors telling war stories, and that seemed to "click" and gave the Chapter a lighter tone* to balance out the grim realities of both the battle before and the aftermath as detailed by Boduognatus after… Plus the small matter of someone with a knife (more on them in the next chapter. )

(*One of my all time favourite works of fiction is the TV Series Babylon 5. I've watched it from start to finish several times, and every time I pick up new things. And one of the things I learned from watching that so many times was you can tell very dark stories if you balance it out with humour. )

Great work Welsh Dragon!

Thank you.

Hopefully 2019 brings more joy to you than 2018 brought.
    Thank you. That would be nice. Got some stuff to handle at the moment, but hopefully things will pick up in a couple of weeks after that's sorted.

Quote Originally Posted by Skotos of Sinope View Post
    A great return to form. And once again, Welsh Dragon proves to be the master of the cliffhanger.

+1 rep.
    Well I don't know about the master, I still have a lot to learn... but I do read a lot of thrillers!

And thank you for the compliment and rep.

All the Best,

Welsh Dragon.

Alwyn's Avatar Frothy Goodness
    Content Director Patrician Citizen

I agree, this is an excellent and welcome return. I enjoyed Sacrapo's engaging tale and the contrast between the first duty of a chieftain and the actions of Ambriorix.

I'm eagerly awaiting the resolution of the ending of this chapter!

Default Re: “Toutatis Favours The Brave” (A Nervii CiG AAR) [Updated 12th January 2019]

“Toutatis Favours The Brave” (A Nervii CiG AAR.)
    Chapter 12: Tanco.

The cold metal blade presses against my flesh.

I dare not move. I barely dare breath, for fear that even such a slight movement will cause the blade to pierce my skin and cut my throat where I stand. I could try to react and strike out. Maybe an elbow to the ribs or throwing my head backwards in the hopes of breaking the attackers nose. But with the blade this close my chances are slim. I bide my time. If the blades wielder just wanted me dead, I'd already be on my way to the Otherworld.

But while my body stays still, my mind races. Who is this? And why are they here? Why now? What do they want?

Some Ambriorix fanatic out for revenge? But someone like that would likely have killed me already.

A treacherous Nervii, looking to take my place not through honourable combat but a knife in the back? I cannot think of one amongst the tribe who would stoop to such a thing.

A thief or bandit, hoping to get a rich score from an unwary warrior? More likely, but then where are his, or her, demands for my coins?

Or an agent of one of the three that Gwydion warned me of? The coming darkness, striking a decisive blow before we Nervii are ready to face it. But again, would they not want me dead already?

It could be any of these, or none of them. All I can do is wait, every second feeling like an eternity.

I sense the figure leaning forward, their hot breath making the hairs stand up on the back of my neck. Their smell, much like those of their surroundings, of leaves and earth and woodsmoke. There is little here to give them away. Then they speak, in hushed tones that barely travel to my ear.

"You're lucky I'm a friend."

A jolt of realisation courses through me. I know this voice!

"Tanco." I whisper.

And as suddenly as it appears the blade is gone from my throat, it's wielder light on his feet, dancing away before I can land a blow.

“You :wub:!” I curse, turning to face my 'attacker,' my left hand rubbing at my throat while my right moves subconsciously to my sword.

“You're getting slow old man.” The man, well not much more than a boy really, says with a chuckle. I look him over. There is little to distinguish him from the trees that surround us, his cloak and trousers a patchwork of earthy colours that seem to blend in to our surroundings. It is a near perfect camouflage. I would expect no less from one such as he.

“How long have you been back?” I ask, relaxing a little.

“Just this evening. I didn't want to miss the festivities. When I saw you walking off I figured I should keep an eye on things. And good thing I did. I followed you all the way from camp, and you didn't even know I was here. You really must take better care of yourself oh fearless leader.”

“I had other things on my mind,” I grumble, but in truth it is good to see him. Tanco is a friend. He also may be the finest scout the Nervii have ever had... When he's not playing tricks, pulling pranks and generally making a nuisance of himself. Needless to say, Gwydion loved him like a son...

Truth be told Caxtos, Sacrapo and I are pretty fond of him as well.

I have known Tanco since he was a boy, and I knew his mother even longer. She was one of the most fearsome women I have ever met. Stout of body and of heart. Arms and legs like tree trunks, her roar enough to stop a charging bear in its tracks. Truly a sight to behold on the battlefield and off it.

Her only son, on the other hand, was a rather sickly youth whom the gods saw fit to afflict with every cough, cold and illness that came his way. It's a wonder he made it to his tenth winter really, let alone his twentieth. But he did. And just like any Nervii, he wanted nothing more than to be a warrior. Yet it seemed the gods would deny him that. Too weak to hold a sword, spear or shield, his mother kept him away from the other boys and forbade him to train with the rest of us. And who was going to argue with her?

Well, there was one who would. Tanco. Whenever he could, young Tanco would try to sneak away and follow the warriors around, watching them train, even trying to follow them hunting from time to time. And when he was caught, as he often was to begin with, he would be sent home and punished by his mother. Most need only be told once by that woman not to do something and they would swear to Toutatis himself they would never do it again.

Tanco had other ideas...

The boy learned to be better at sneaking away and observing without being seen. Moving without making a sound. Masking his scent so that he smelt so much like his surroundings even hunting dogs would not notice him. Hiding in doorways, trees, even shadows, so still that you would not know he was there unless you tripped over him. As he grew older, it seems the gods themselves had a change of heart in the face of his determination. He developed a wiry strength and agility, ideally suited for the dagger he had just moments ago held to my throat. The small boy grew up into cunning and effective scout, and one to be feared, in his own way, as much as his mother.

Some would say he was cursed by the gods, to not be able to serve in a battle line with the rest of us. But knowing the man he has become, I would say he was blessed by the gods. Tanco took a world that seemed to have been designed by the gods to make him fail, and found his place in it. There is great honour and courage in that. For not all are born to be warriors. But that does not mean they are not born to fight, in their own way.

For what is to come I will need many warriors, it is true. But I will also need information. Of the paths to follow. Of who we face in battle. Of where and when to fight and when to bide my time and choose to fight another day. For that I will need Tanco and others like him, to enter the dark places before us, and bring back the knowledge that will aid us in victory and shield us in defeat. I do not do this lightly, for I know not all I send out will be coming back. But it must be done.

It was because of this that I sent Tanco to scout the tribes that pose the greatest immediate danger. So having recovered from Tanco's surprise, there is but one question on my lips.

“What news from the south?”

Authors Note:

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    As those who have played Nervii in Caesar in Gaul may be familiar with, Tanco is your starting scout/spy. But as with other agents he comes to you fully formed as it were, so that got me to thinking, how did he become the person he is when you first meet him in game? And what would being a scout even mean in a warrior culture like the Nervii where, as the Total War Wiki puts it “they pursued the traditions of their Celtic and Germanic origins, venerating the cult of the hero-warrior?” Would it be something that's looked down upon as a necessary evil? Or recognised as heroic, in it's own way, and taking just as much courage as standing in the battle line.

If you've read this chapter, you'll see the direction I've had Boduognatus take... Others we meet may not be so kind.

All the Best,

Welsh Dragon.
    Last edited by Welsh Dragon; January 12, 2019 at 10:14 AM.

Turkafinwë's Avatar The Sick Baby Jester
    Content Emeritus

Default Re: “Toutatis Favours The Brave” (A Nervii CiG AAR) [Updated 12th January 2019]

A wonderful chapter in which you superbly build up tension and then release it in a way I can only describe as very satisfactory. Because even though we know (most likely) Boduognatus isn't going to die, something bad might still happen to him, thus the tense nature still works. I already love Tanco and the backstory you have created for him, this 'cursed by the gods' child becoming a strong man in his own right. I also like how you explain in your authors note how the Nervii would react to spies and whether it is an honourable and brave thing to do or not. I'm glad to see Boduognates seems to value it highly where his compatriotes are likely not to do so.

To summarize I really like this chapter.

Well done Welsh Dragon!

I agree with Turkafinwë, the tension is superbly done. The contrasts between the descriptions of Tanco's mother and the boy himself - and between the behaviour of most boys and Tanco's behaviour - are very effective. I'm eager to hear Tanco's news.

NorseThing's Avatar Primicerius

I would guess this is triple agreement. The cold hard blade... A great start to any post that needs tension.

A wonderful chapter in which you superbly build up tension and then release it in a way I can only describe as very satisfactory. Because even though we know (most likely) Boduognatus isn't going to die, something bad might still happen to him, thus the tense nature still works. I already love Tanco and the backstory you have created for him, this 'cursed by the gods' child becoming a strong man in his own right. I also like how you explain in your authors note how the Nervii would react to spies and whether it is an honourable and brave thing to do or not. I'm glad to see Boduognates seems to value it highly where his compatriotes are likely not to do so.

To summarize I really like this chapter.

Well done Welsh Dragon!
    Thank you Turkafinwë. I was a little worried the payoff wouldn't match the tension I'd created with that cliffhanger in Chapter 11, so I'm pleased to hear you and others found it did. I admit, one of the reasons I picked Caesar in Gaul for my AAR (apart from just liking it) was the level of protection the game provides to your faction leaders (and thus my lead viewpoint character.) But as you said, that doesn't protect him from everything. In fiction, as in life, there are fates far worse than death after all.
    But I like to balance out seriousness with humour, and so the addition of Tanco gives me some of that. He was a fun character to come up with, and I'm enjoying writing him too. Plus he lets me show a different side to the Nervii than Boduognatus. After all, in a society that holds warriors courage and battle prowess above all else, what must it be like to not be able to join in the fight? I hope to explore that a bit more in future chapters if the story develops in that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Alwyn View Post
    I agree with Turkafinwë, the tension is superbly done. The contrasts between the descriptions of Tanco's mother and the boy himself - and between the behaviour of most boys and Tanco's behaviour - are very effective. I'm eager to hear Tanco's news.
    Thanks Alwyn. Yes, Tanco's mother was also fun to write, even if she doesn't actually appear.

Quote Originally Posted by NorseThing View Post
    I would guess this is triple agreement. The cold hard blade... A great start to any post that needs tension.
    Yes, the blade is kind of the gunshot of its day. Instant tension! And thank you NorseThing.

Tanco's news (and the next chapter) are coming. I just need to do a few tweaks to the writing and a little editing with a picture to illustrate. Inspired by New Town I'm hoping to include a map with notations (helped by Alwyn's guide.) Plus this second Nervii campaign is working out a bit differently to the first, so having to retool a few things as the vanilla Patch 20 AI is pulling some surprises on me that weren't there with the modded Patch 17 I was originally using. Won't effect chapters I've already posted, but does mean some scenes I'd written in advance for future chapters need a little work to incorporate them into the new narrative (as I'm trying to make the story reflect the campaign, rather than have a story all worked out and then just use the campaign for screenshots.)

All the Best,

Welsh Dragon.

Skotos of Sinope's Avatar Macstre Gaposal

Once again, great sense of suspense and pacing. And I love that even spies are given some good character development.

Chapter 13: News From The South.

“What news from the south?”

I pose this question with trepidation, for in truth I know that much hangs on the answer. And I am not alone in this. Our victory over the Eburones was hard fought, and yet... they were but one tribe. A tribe lead by a madman, whose strength had already been bled by his insane whims before we faced them. There are many more tribes to the south, and their leaders and warriors could pose a far greater challenge than Ambriorix.

“It is as you feared.” Tanco says, all frivolity gone from his voice now as we get down to business. Tanco may play the fool at times, but he takes his role as a scout seriously. We warriors may fight the battles, be he and his kin lead the way.

Picking up a fallen stick, Tanco quickly sketches out a map of his travels in the loose earth between us.

“I followed the road south through the Suessione lands to Novidunon as we discussed. From there I was able to head east through Remi, Mediomatrici and finally Trevarii lands, before coming north again.” He pauses, then adds quietly, his shoulders visibly sagging. “If I'd gone east first I might have been able to warn you about Ambriorix's treachery, maybe even the ambush he had planned. I could have...” I hear the guilt in his voice. A young man with a heavy weight upon his shoulders.

“I chose to send you south.” I say by way of absolution, resting my hand on the young man's shoulder. “The weight of that decision is not yours to carry. It is mine.”

It takes a moment, but my words seem to get through to him. Tanco straightens his shoulders, and with more confidence in his words he continues his report.

“You asked me to look for signs of what the other tribes intend to do. I saw plenty, none of it good. In every village I passed through there were signs of activity. Warriors, farmers, craftsmen, they all practice with whatever weapons they have to hand. The blacksmiths forges work night and day, but making weapons instead of tools. And all the while the fields are left largely empty, or worked by the very young and old. Just enough to see that the crops continue to grow.”

“The roads are no better,” he continues. “They are so full of warriors, merchants and carts piled high with supplies that at times the only way to pass someone going the other way is to take to the forests that border the road. Not that this is needed often, as they all seem to be travelling in the same directions, to Novidunon and the other larger settlements. Men and women flood through their gates everyday, taking whatever rooms are available or sleeping beneath the stars in the camps that they have set up outside the walls. But even that doesn't seem to be enough for the many that gather.”

“In the taverns there are many new faces also. Celts, Gauls and others, suddenly flush with coin and looking to spend it on good food, a warm fire and warm company for the night. Gamblers making great wagers and taking out loans on the promise of the spoils they will soon earn. Unscrupulous merchants, ready to fleece a man for all he's worth with their shoddy goods, whether they be weapons, armour, talismans or whatever else they think they can make some quick coin on. And there are strange new mercenaries from further afield, all drawn by their lust for gold or looking for a fight, it's hard to tell which.”

“All this was in Suessione lands, but I saw the same in the lands of the Remi and the Trevarii as well.” Tanco finishes his report, the look upon his face as grim as I think I have ever seen upon his youthful face. “I believe this can only point to one thing. All three tribes prepare for war.”

I nod thoughtfully. From Tanco's words I have already reached the same conclusion. It is an answer, of a sorts, to my first question. I know now what news the south has for us, and it is not good. But it also leads me to many more questions. A Chieftain can only command such a great number for so long without giving them an enemy to fight, a cause to rally around, and plunder to sate their many appetites. So how do the Chieftains intend to control the fire they have stoked in the blood? Whatever they intend to do, it will come soon, of that I'm sure. But what and when? Important though those questions may be, there is another that requires more immediate attention.

“Who do they intend to fight?” I ask.

Tanco sighs. “Of that I do not know. The Chieftains gather, but only their most loyal people are allowed anywhere near them. I bribed a Trevarii Bard to eavesdrop on one of Cingetorix's gatherings, in hopes of finding out what they had planned. But I heard no more from him, and the next day my man's head was displayed upon a spike before the gates of Treverorum, his eyes and tongue cut out as a warning to others. Whatever they plan, they do not intend for others to know about it until they are ready.”

I shake my head in disgust. Cingetorix, the Chieftain of the Trevarii, is said to be a cruel man. “Could you find nothing?”

Tanco raises an eyebrow, as if to say you know me well enough to know I always find something.

“I got to talking with some of the mercenaries,” he continues. “They love their drink almost as much as they love the sound of their own voices, and so I was able to loosen their lips a little. They do not know who they are to fight, only that the war is coming soon and the rewards that have been promised far outweigh even the generous retainers they have already received.”

It makes sense. Mercenaries expect better pay than the average warrior, so few would pay them to spend their days drinking in a tavern. But any man who would sell his sword for money is not to be trusted with any more than they need to do their jobs, so why would Cingetorix and his like tell these men where they were going?

“One even offered me a job,” Tanco adds with amusement, “though I declined of course.”

I feel the edge of my mouth twitch in a slight smile at this. Tanco's loyalty was never in doubt. I would trust that boy with my life. But there is something else that troubles me greatly. To gather such men in such numbers takes a lot of money, to feed and equip them even more so. And while between them the Suessiones, Remi and Trevarii have gathered much wealth I'm sure, it would not be enough. Not nearly enough.

“Where is all this coin coming from?” I say, half to myself.

Tanco shrugs. “That I cannot say... But maybe this will help.” With but a gesture Tanco makes a coin appear in his hand where there was not one a moment before. How he performs such magic tricks I do not know. He calls it sleight of hand. I call it a Druid's trick. Either way, it is a useful talent indeed.

“You stole this?” I ask, as I take the coin from his proffered hand.

“Won it at the tables actually. And quite a few more I might add.” Tanco says with a grin. “Many a fool may be parted from his money, if you know how... especially if he's drunk his weight in ale first.”

I hold the coin up, marvelling at the way it catches the twilight and shines. The luxury that other men seek may be of no interest to me, but I can still recognise it when I see it. But not all that glitters such is worth as much as it appears. I have to be sure, and so I bite down upon the coin. This would seem strange to many men, but it is a trick that Gwydion taught me once, long ago. A way to recognise a precious metal from its hardness... or softness. The teeth marks I leave behind confirm what my eyes already tell me. This coin is made of gold!

Now I look more closely at the coin itself. On one side is the likeness of a man. Though who this man may be, I do not know. He does not look like any Gaul or Celt I have ever met. The other side has markings too, but these I cannot begin to decipher in the evening light. But even so, there is one thing I am certain of from just this cursory glance. This is like no coin I have seen before. And that alone is troubling.

Tanco has waited patiently for me to finish, and is ready for my next question when I ask it.

“You say there are many of these coin?”

“Enough to pay for an army. Several armies in fact. Some traders have even stopped accepting local coins, as these new ones are worth their weight in, well, gold.”

I shake my head again. Tanco has given me much to think upon, but I sense already there is little time to do it. The southern tribes prepare for war, but where and when we do not know. I know they could turn south and raid the tribes that dwell there, as they have done many times before. But they have never had such great numbers before and with Gwydion's prophecy can we really take that chance? Our losses fighting the Eburone and the need to leave some warriors at Atuatuca to guard against any of his fanatics that may remain, could leave us vulnerable in the eyes of the other tribes. Have they chosen now to strike?

It is also clear to me that we will need to find the source of these coins. Such riches and the warriors they can buy could easily tip the balance against us. And any tribe who can afford to give so generously is one to be feared, for how many warriors must they already have of their own? To face such a foe I would take any warriors that the Suessiones, the Trevarii and yes even the Remi would offer, if it meant the difference between victory and defeat. But could I trust them?

I cannot help but think of the answers I received to the messages of peace and alliance I sent to all three tribes some weeks past. Though they were not as final as that which Ambriorix had laid at my feet, the messages they sent back were clear and much as Caxtos had predicted. The Suessiones were too prideful to even consider an alliance. The Trevarii made it clear they were not interested unless there was something in it for them. And the Remi claimed to show an interest, all the while trying to steal from my messenger's coin purse.

Nobody trusts a Remi.

The task seems daunting, and yet... As we have been speaking I have also been thinking, and in my minds eye a path has begun to clear before me. It will be risky. It could be deadly. If it goes wrong, some day they may sing songs of the fool Boduognatus, who lead his warriors to disaster. That is if they know our names at all. But I believe it is a risk I will have to take, for I cannot see another way to face these threats with the warriors I have, no matter their courage. I pray I am wrong.

What is clear is I need to speak with Caxtos, Sacrapo and the other Chieftains, and it cannot wait for the feast to be over. But there is one other matter to discuss first. For Tanco has only mentioned three of the great tribes to our south. I would hope that he brings better news of the fourth, the only ones I may be able to trust in the battles that lie ahead.

“Thank you Tanco. But what of our friends the Mediomatricii?”

Tanco looks back, grim faced once again.

“They have problemsof their own...”

Author's Notes:

A longer chapter, but one where I had a lot to cover and couldn't find a convenient place to have a break in it. Hopefully that works okay for everyone.

I also decided to try my hand at map making, with the help of Alwyn's excellent article "Screenshots and Maps in AARs: A Beginner's Guide." Definitely worth a read.

Finally, as the eagle eyed amongst you may have noticed, I've been misspelling Treverii as Trevarii the whole time, which I only realised today. Rather than go back and change it all, I've decided to stick with Trevarii as it also fits better who I “hear” the word when reading/writing it. Lets call it a variant spelling...

All the Best,

Welsh Dragon.
    Last edited by Welsh Dragon; June 05, 2019 at 05:16 AM.

Campidoctor

I find maps very important. They give an overview about the situation with one single picture. Everyone has to start somewhere. The most important thing is that your map is readable. And it is.

I've only read the recent update and the OP so far, but I will read more in a couple of weeks, when I have holiday. It's very understandable why your AAR got gold in the last MAARC.
    Would rep you straight away but it seems I've done that recently.

I'm curious where you'll take it from here. Come on, you're playing a belgian tribe. I demand more savagery. Wipe all of these fools away! They will do the same thing with you otherwise! (Honestly, why the mod "More aggressive A.I."? Isn't the A.I. in Rome II already aggressive enough? )

Quote Originally Posted by Skotos of Sinope View Post
    Once again, great sense of suspense and pacing. And I love that even spies are given some good character development.
    Thank you Skotos. One of the things I'm trying to do in this is practice making each character distinct, as it's an area I sometimes struggle with in my other writing. So for Tanco I came up with the idea of someone who wasn't your typical heroic barbarian warrior, but someone who had not had the greatest fortune with health in their life (something I know well,) but also a bit of a"cheeky chappy" too.

And sorry for missing your post until now.

Quote Originally Posted by Derc View Post
    I find maps very important. They give an overview about the situation with one single picture. Everyone has to start somewhere. The most important thing is that your map is readable. And it is.

Well that's good to hear. Ease of use and helping the reader to visualise Tanco's report better was my main reasons for using it here, so glad it worked.

I've only read the recent update and the OP so far, but I will read more in a couple of weeks, when I have holiday. It's very understandable why your AAR got gold in the last MAARC.
    Would rep you straight away but it seems I've done that recently.

Thank you, that means a lot. It's also really good feedback to know that it's enjoyable even without having read it all in order, as that should hopefully mean it's more approachable for new readers too. And enjoy your holiday!

I'm curious where you'll take it from here. Come on, you're playing a belgian tribe. I demand more savagery. Wipe all of these fools away! They will do the same thing with you otherwise! (Honestly, why the mod "More aggressive A.I."? Isn't the A.I. in Rome II already aggressive enough? )
    I'm curious too, as some of my plans are having to be altered due to changes in the way the campaign has developed.

I'll be doing an update of the original post alongside one of the next few chapters, to cover how the circumstances for the campaign have changed. I'm now using a different vanilla Patch 20 playthrough, as opposed to the original modded Patch 17 I started with. Events up to the current chapter largely developed in the same way, but moving forward things start to diverge a little. So it's going to be an interesting challenge melding the two together, till I reach the point where the new Patch 20 playthrough takes over in full.

The original intent of using the
    "More aggressive A.I." mod was because I'd had good results in other campaigns, and I wanted to create a scenario where I would be on the defensive quite a bit. But as others have also discovered, the Patch 20 Vanilla AI is a fair bit more aggressive than some of the earlier versions, so not sure it's really needed now. And my hope is that with this fresh start on an unmodded save I hopefully won't encounter the issues I did when I tried running the Patch 17 one.

Thanks again for the feedback and hope you both have a good evening.

All the Best,

Welsh Dragon.

Content Emeritus

I agree with Derc, the map worked perfectly. (I like the artstyle of Rome II's maps so that's a big plus as well) Bad news allround it seems with war brewing in the south sponsored by a foreign power. This smells of guile and subterfuge, things a certain people is very good at. I noticed the Trevarii thing and started doubting myself, if I had remembered the tribe's name wrongly. Guess not . You could say it's because of the Nervii's northern dialect, that they pronounce it that way. It leaves a lot of possibilities to work with. I think it's wonderful if a writer can transform a mistake into something great storywise, and owe up to said mistake. Great to see you decided to stick with it.

I like the character of Tanco, it seems that he's quick with his wits and his hands and that he's loyal with a strong sense of responsibility.

The unfamiliar coins are interesting, it seems that someone with wealth to spare wants war among the Gauls. (I like the idea of seeing your variant spelling of the Travarii as reflecting the northern dialect of the Nervii, and liked what sounds like a saying 'Nobody trusts a Remi').

The map is helpful, when we're being being given news of the tribes to the south. I wonder what's happening to the friends of the Nervii.

MaxMaker13's Avatar Laetus

I enjoyed reading it. Looking forward for more.

Chapter 14: March to War: The Tribal Council

It is the morning after the great feast of Beltane. Much food has been eaten, much drinking as well (for while we Nervii shun alcohol we do not force such restrictions upon clients and guests, if they choose to bring their own.) Many will have slept little this past night, as the celebrations ran long into the evening....

As is traditional.

In truth I have not slept at all. Tanco's news is far too troubling, the course of action I believe we must follow far too dangerous. I have spent all night praying to the gods that they might reveal another path to me that does not risk so much. But there is none. The path we must take is still clear, but the decision to take it is not mine alone.

It is why I have summoned the full Tribal Council to the gathering place. Sitting or standing around the great oaken table, crafted from a single giant tree stump, are the Elders of the Nervii, Chieftains of our client tribes and other men and women whose wisdom I value. I need them all here, as for what we must do next, we must do together. I will need the support of not just my allies amongst the Clans like Sacrapo's Iron Axes and Caxtos' Hill Warriors, but the others as well. The Nervii must go to war once more, and we must do so united.

But it is not going well...

“You want to take us to war again so soon after we fought those Eburone fanatics.” Liscos, Chieftain of the Angry Beasts Clan growls, gesturing dismissively at Nimo. A bear of a man, Liscos towers over the young Eburone Chieftain, even while sitting. Nimo already looked uncomfortable to be at a gathering such as this. To be singled out in such a way, and by such a brute, does not help.

“And for what?” Liscos continues. “The vaguest of whispers and tavern chatter.”

“You know it is more than that. You heard the same scout reports that we all did...” Sacrapo says, gesturing to the gathered company. I am relying on his diplomatic skills a lot today, to bring the tribes less happy with my leadership into the fold.

“Scouts? Pah! You mean the boy. You and the Warlord put far too much trust in that gods cursed fool.”

“You're lucky his mother isn't here,” Sacrapo's face shows the briefest flash of anger. “She would cleave you in two to hear you speak such a thing.”

“I would say it even if she was,” Liscos sneers. “No true Nervii skulks in the shadows.”

“And you would know what makes a true Nervii then?” Sacrapo replies, adopting a similar tone. “Since when do the Angry Beast Clan shy away from battle. Or has your famed courage been dulled by easy victories? Does the idea of a real battle trouble you my friend? Perhaps you fear the prideful pheasants of the Suessiones?”

“WE FEAR NO MAN OR BEAST!” Liscos roars, leaping to his feet and reaching for his blade. Sacrapo is just as quick to rise and adopt a defensive position, ready to pull his sword.

“Enough!” I slam my fist upon the great oaken table with such force it tips over some drinking flagons. “I will not see us fight amongst ourselves, when there are greater battles to be fought. Make no mistake, the tribes of the south are preparing for war and we must be ready to face them.”

“Yes... war.” Says Cambo, Chieftain of the Sly Wolf Clan, who has been noticeably silent till now. “But how do we know they intend to wage war... on... us...?” He stretches out those last two words, and it is as if they remain hanging in the air even after he has spoken.

“We don't.” I concede after a moment. “But we don't know that they aren't either. Would you have us wait till they all arrive upon our doorsteps, with their warriors and mercenaries in such great numbers we face a battle even we cannot win?”

“There is no battle the Angry Beasts cannot wi...” Liscos begins to say, but stops with but a gesture from Cambo. That is unexpected. And perhaps troubling.

“We merely urge caution.” The Sly Wolf Chieftain continues. “Take proper time to gather our warriors and supplies. Bring more men back from Atuatuca and give our blacksmiths time to forge more weapons. Then in a moon or two...”

“Which may be too late.” Caxtos speaks for the first time since this discussion began. His voice is quiet, yet it carries across the gathering like a feather upon the breeze. “Every day that we take to gather our strength, is a day the southern tribes can gather theirs. And it is clear they have resources we do not.”

A few gathered grumble at this. No warrior likes to think themselves in the weaker position.

Caxtos continues. “The courage of those gathered here is not in doubt,” Caxtos pointedly looks at Sacrapo. The younger man looks chagrined, though we both know him well enough to know his earlier words got exactly the reaction he intended. Cambo is not the only sly one sitting around this table.

“But no warrior can face battle alone against overwhelming odds,” Caxtos continues. “If we wait and prepare, as the honoured chieftain suggests, we risk giving the southern tribes an overwhelming advantage. One we cannot afford.”

I see a few of those gathered nod at this. Caxtos' words have clearly reached them.

“There is a time for caution, and there is a time for action. Now is the time to take action!” Caxtos slams his own fist upon the table, showing a flash of the berserker that we all know lies within his soul. And it seems to have the desired effect.

I see more nod at this. Some start to bang the table in support and soon all the Chieftains are, their voices raised in agreement. All... bar two, who are noticeably silent. Liscos starts to say something, but stops when he sees Cambo shake his head. The Sly Wolf knows this battle is lost.

“So it is decided,” I say, grabbing the moment and meeting the eyes of each man or woman around the great oaken table, which is far older than all of us. “We will show the tribes of the south why they should fear the name Nervii. We leave in three sunrises with every warrior we have gathered here, and march upon the Suessiones.”

“We'll show them what it means to be a true Nervii warrior.” Sacrapo says, pointedly not looking at Liscos while he says it. “And may the gods favour us.”

May they indeed. Because for what I truly have planned. For what only three souls gathered around this table know, myself included, I fear we are going to need all the favour the gods will provide us with. And even that may not be enough.

Author's Note:

So, after another unplanned hiatus (it's been one of those years,) we pick up the story of Boduognatus and the Nervii.

In previous chapters I've portrayed the Nervii as a united force, but reality is never that simple. So to bring more life to Nervii politics, and inspired by the changes CA introduced in Power & Politics, and Ancestral Update, with this chapter I'm introducing some dissenting voices. Not all would agree with Boduognatus decisions or his leadership, and we meet some of them here.

Eagle eyed amongst you may have noted that some of the Clan names are... familiar. I'm using some of the names of other parties in the Nervii for some of the Clans and client tribes which form the Nervii faction. But as CA in their wisdom decided to not have internal politics in Caesar in Gaul, I'm taking names from the Grand Campaign Nervii.

The Sly Wolf Clan is however my own creation, as none of the remaining names seemed to fit the character I was creating... Angry Beasts on the other hand is from the game, and the name lead to me creating a whole character around it. There are different kinds of warriors, and their leader Liscos is definitely of the “act first, ask questions never” variety.

I've also just noticed that in the previous chapter (“Chapter 13: News From The South”) the final line wasn't displaying properly, so have now edited it to hopefully fix the problem. Tanco's news of the Nervii's friends the Mediomatricii should read:

“They have problems of their own...”

Though what those are, well you're going to have to wait to find out.

All the Best,

Welsh Dragon.
    Last edited by Welsh Dragon; June 22, 2019 at 11:21 AM. Reason: Fixing a typo. Good catch MaxMaker13.

I agree with Derc, the map worked perfectly. (I like the artstyle of Rome II's maps so that's a big plus as well) Bad news allround it seems with war brewing in the south sponsored by a foreign power. This smells of guile and subterfuge, things a certain people is very good at. I noticed the Trevarii thing and started doubting myself, if I had remembered the tribe's name wrongly. Guess not . You could say it's because of the Nervii's northern dialect, that they pronounce it that way. It leaves a lot of possibilities to work with. I think it's wonderful if a writer can transform a mistake into something great storywise, and owe up to said mistake. Great to see you decided to stick with it.
    Thank you, I'm pretty pleased with how the map worked out. And I agree, I love the Rome 2 style map. The ones used in later games and some mods really just don't work for me. Yes, war is definitely in the offing, that's for sure. As for guile and subterfuge... well to quote Francis Urquhart, "You might very well think that; I couldn't possibly comment..."

Trevarii is definitely not you remembering things wrong, though I like the idea of it being the Nervii having a northern dialect... We shall see.

Quote Originally Posted by Alwyn View Post
    I like the character of Tanco, it seems that he's quick with his wits and his hands and that he's loyal with a strong sense of responsibility.

The unfamiliar coins are interesting, it seems that someone with wealth to spare wants war among the Gauls. (I like the idea of seeing your variant spelling of the Travarii as reflecting the northern dialect of the Nervii, and liked what sounds like a saying 'Nobody trusts a Remi').

The map is helpful, when we're being being given news of the tribes to the south. I wonder what's happening to the friends of the Nervii.
    Tanco is a fun one to write, and I hope to do more with him in time. Historically the Remi were an ally of Rome, so I had the idea of giving them a reputation for untrustworthiness with the other tribes to reflect this. I mean who would side with a Roman over their own people? And as I said before, your guide on maps was an essential part of creating the map in Chapter 13 and hopefully future ones as well. As for the Nervii's friends, well they're something I'm keeping an eye on, which I could see going several different ways....

Quote Originally Posted by MaxMaker13 View Post
    I enjoyed reading it. Looking forward for more.
    Hi MaxMaker13,

Welcome to the forums and thank you for the compliment. It's always nice to see new people joining TWC, and also reading my story. I hope you enjoyed the new chapter as well, and the ones to follow.

All the Best,

Welsh Dragon.

MaxMaker13's Avatar Laetus

Cool look into the internal politics of the Nervii.
    I am looking forward to some battle and backstabing.
    I would like to see your army composition before the next battle. Are your troops tattered or are they at full strengh again.

In the third to last paragraph you have a slight typo "Suressiones" instead of "Suessiones".

Content Emeritus

An interesting chapter! It is as you say Welsh Dragon, in reality a tribe is divided into different clans and they don't always agree with one another on how to deal with things (mostly they don't agree I would say). This division can be and has been used to defeat one's enemy. The clan names are very appropriate for the person that is representing them on this Council. Boduognatus' plan has been approved this time but it took some convincing. I wonder if this will stick or that at some point the clans will rebel.

PS: my Belgian heart bleeds for a Belgian tribe that abstains from alcohol.

I agree with MaxMaker13 and Turkafinwë about your representation of the internal conflict and the connection between the tribes' names and their representatives. It sounds like Caxtos has given a convincing reason for action, but also that Liscos and Sacrapo will look for opportunites to make each other look weak or foolish. That may be dangerous in battle, as I'm guessing that the description of the Suessiones by the chieftain of the Iron Axes was optimistic.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast