Thread: “Toutatis Favours The Brave” (A Nervii CiG AAR) [Updated 14th February 2021]

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Welsh Dragon's Avatar Content Staff

Default “Toutatis Favours The Brave” (A Nervii CiG AAR) [Updated 14th February 2021]

“Toutatis Favours The Brave” (A Nervii CiG AAR.)
    by Welsh Dragon.

"The Romans...

They would rather lay upon their couches drinking wine than face a true warriors death in battle.
    They think themselves our betters. That they can 'civilise' us. Tell us how to live. How to fight?

War? What do they know of war? They do not live for it as we do. They weaken themselves with
    luxury and still they call themselves warriors? Toutatis favours the brave...!

But one tribe cannot stand alone.

We must. Be. United.

Fearless.

Ruthless.

I will drive Rome from our lands."

Hi everyone and welcome to my first AAR. I'll be posting Chapter 1 in the next post, but for now here's a few details.

The focus of this AAR will be the Nervii, a faction I've found really intriguing ever since they were added to Rome 2, and whose playstyle I enjoy, especially since Patch 17. You can read a little about them on the Official Wiki here .

The AAR will be based on a Nervii Hard/Hard Difficulty Caesar in Gaul Campaign I am currently playing. This is with Patch 17, though I'll also be using a few mods to mix things up a bit, details below.

The events of the campaign will guide the events in the story, and I'll also be using in game characters for major characters where possible, with personalities guided by the traits they have in game. This isn't to say everything in game will happen in the story, or visa versa, but it will be what I am chiefly working off.

I'll also be trying to roleplay my actions in game to suit the characters involved. I'll be fielding what I feel to be realistic armies (so no Oathsworn stacks) and as the Nervii were known to not use cavalry, I will not be using any until I have achieved certain campaign/story goals, which I'll be keeping to myself for now.

Chapters:

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Mods:

A More Aggressive AI by Ron Burgundy (aka Turquoise_Falcon)
    More AI Armies by Ron Burgundy
    The Great Politics Overhaul by Ron Burgundy (contains Influence_50x by Octavius and Attila Politics and Civil War by HappyCompy.)
    Rebalanced AI Recruitment by Setrus
    Patch 17 Data Typos by Bruce_R and other Community Members.
    Zoom All the Way Down by Re’goso

You can find full details in my Mod Collection here.

First and foremost thank you to Alwyn for encouraging me to have a go at AAR writing, advice and helpful feedback; Setrus and a number of other veteran Total War players who I am lucky enough to call friends, who have encouraged my writing; and Shankbot de Bodemloze, Caillagh de Bodemloze and mad orc for welcoming me into the Writers Study. I also want to thank the various writers in the Critics Quill and Writers Study, whose articles and posts are proving invaluable in teaching me how to do things like write battles. Finally I'd like to thank CA staff past and present for making the games I enjoy so much I want to write about them, and the makers of the Mods I'm using for giving even more life to a game I've already played so much.

Read on for Chapter 1, and I hope you all enjoy the story.

All the Best,

Welsh Dragon.
    Last edited by Welsh Dragon; February 14, 2021 at 12:29 PM.