Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Collection of tutorials: "Learn-on-the-job", AKA "Holding a noob's hand"

paleologos's Avatar You need burrito love!!

Default Re: Collection of tutorials: "Learn-on-the-job", AKA "Holding a noob's hand"

It would better be:

shieldactive0
    shield_1

shieldpassive0
    shield_1

And the names of the shields must be the same.

In the case of this model it works fine because there is only one shield type for all the soldiers but if you had -for example- a red and a blue shield then you would want the soldiers that have a red shield on their backs, also fight with red shields in their hands.

AnthoniusII's Avatar Μέγαc Δομέστικοc

Default Re: Collection of tutorials: "Learn-on-the-job", AKA "Holding a noob's hand"

Quote Originally Posted by Gigantus View Post
    I usually recommend this version of python as the major update (and problem with old python applications) starts with 2.7:

Python 2.6.6
    Thank you for the clarification. So far the old version of Python has not cuased any problems but it seams that the newr version is easier to found for new moddelers.
    Quote Originally Posted by paleologos View Post
    It would better be:

shieldactive0
    shield_1

shieldpassive0
    shield_1

And the names of the shields must be the same.

In the case of this model it works fine because there is only one shield type for all the soldiers but if you had -for example- a red and a blue shield then you would want the soldiers that have a red shield on their backs, also fight with red shields in their hands.
    One nottice. Shieldpassive0 and shieldactive0 does not always work (believe me i tried). It works for weapons but it seams for shields its buged.
    I strongly recomment that if a moddeler wants passive and active weapons to merge them with the shields in the proper places and give the weapons active and passive comments.
    There is a LIMIT in comments that use the number 0 in their end. That number is 4. So if the model has both active and passive weapons like this example:

The modder has two choices.
    1 USE the shield comment without the number 0
    Code:
    shield
    shield_1
    Code:
    shield
    shield_2
    Or merge the shields with the 2ndary weapon (in this example the sword) and use the proper comments.
    Code:
    secondaryactive0
    sword_1
    Code:
    secondarypassive0
    sword_1
    That ensures 100% that the passive sword and the merged with it shield will apear the same when the 2ndary weapon will be activated.
    More to come with the Realism/Gravity project tutorial that reached 20 pages so far!
    TGC in order to continue its development seak one or more desicated scripters to put our campaign scripts mess to an order plus to create new events and create the finall missing factions recruitment system. In return TGC will give permision to those that will help to use its material stepe by step. The result will be a fully released TGC plus many mods that will benefit TGC's material.
    Despite the mod is dead does not mean that anyone can use its material
    read this to avoid misunderstandings.

IWTE tool master and world txt one like this, needed inorder to release TGC 1.0 official to help TWC to survive.
    Adding MARKA HORSES in your mod and create new varietions of them. Tutorial RESTORED.

Hey there

My aim is to transfer the winged helmet and the silk mask from unit 1 to unit 2. Unit 2 should loose its old helmet and gain the winged helmet from unit 2 and the silk mask.
    I know how to merge the winged helmet and the silk mask into unit 2 but then the texture is messed up.

Is there a way I can do this in MilkShape?

Thanks
    Attached Files Attached Files

You will absolutely need to use MilkShape to pull this through but MilkShape alone will not be enough.
    You will also need to manipulate the texture files, both the diffuse maps and the normal maps and to do that you will need some image manipulation suit, such as photoshop or GIMP.
    It would be an incremental increase in the complexity of the tutorial -if I were to author such one- as it would need to combine the near full suit of modelling for M2TW know-how.
    I may make this tutorial after tomorrow.

It would be awesome if you were going to do the tutorial!
    It would be great to learn further on the job ��

Hi, I've been attempting to do the same kind of thing: adding a shield to a ranged unit that would use it in melee but keep it on their backs while attacking at range.
    Being new to modelling, I struggled some hours but in the end I managed to get something very close to what I wanted:

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

There is a strange reflexion on the shields however...

Could somebody help me please?

Hrobatos's Avatar Praeses

this is likely alpha channel in normal map of attachment file

You are right, it works now!

Many thanks

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee spy of the council

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Hrobatos View Post
    this is likely alpha channel in normal map of attachment file

LOL, yeah - I still remember the reason for my 'iced' infantry

hello,sorry to ask you here but i am a really noob about milkshape 3d,how can you show the texture files in milkshape?together with the mesh file,that i can see in milkshape now after converted to a ms3d file.thank you for those great tutorials!

Hit Ctr-T to open the UV editor.
    I'd rather you went through all the tutorials before you post new questions.
    That's why I took the time to make them in the first place.

ok thank you,you are wright,i most read them slowly and hopely learn some skills.i have a lot respect now for the makers of models and textures as it is not easy to do

Regarding the required shine of certain objects like sword blades, metal helmets etc.
    My recomedetion is to make the required shine when you add the object's layer in your texture.
    Then inorder to avoid unwanted shiny effect for other objects like the shields in post 46 ALWAYS make the normal.map.texture's alpha chanel BLACK.
    Take a look of this picture:

How shiny the helmets or the swords blades are looking determined by two factors
    a) How much shiny i made them in the texture and
    b) from the battlemap lighting.
    Many people select spesific areas like blades in the normal.map.texture and make them versions of grey. But in my extended expirience by playing all battles in varius battlemaps , such option may end up with a totaly shiny like a "devine" sword or spear blade of a shiny helmet that shine its self covers all texture details.
    So this is my humble advice.
    When you add a sword to a texture, select its blade and play with contrast and lighting , even in color. When the result is what you like create your texture's normal.map with its alpha chanel totaly BLACK.
    That ensures that textures show 100% the colors and shine you wanted and selected.
    TGC in order to continue its development seak one or more desicated scripters to put our campaign scripts mess to an order plus to create new events and create the finall missing factions recruitment system. In return TGC will give permision to those that will help to use its material stepe by step. The result will be a fully released TGC plus many mods that will benefit TGC's material.

IWTE tool master and world txt one like this, needed inorder to release TGC 1.0 official to help TWC to survive.
    Adding MARKA HORSES in your mod and create new varietions of them. Tutorial RESTORED.

Hrobatos's Avatar Praeses

I guess its a matter of personal preference. I would add a bit of gloss to those metal parts, they dont seem enough metallic as they are now on the picture.

Here is an example. Moravexxx made Almuhgavar Spearmen using Rusichi materials, and then I redid his normal map.

Here is his version

and here is the same unit with new normal map I did

But as said it is in the end matter of personal preferance. What I dislike is when a modification is not consistent, which happens when multiple people work on the project or use various additional packs from other modders. Very well made mods do focus on that polishing, and I find that to be real sign of great and quality work.

Hello, I followed this guide but I am still having the same problems as the first two cases. Either my units are t posing or they are blogs in all directions. I have followed the tutorials to the best of my ability and still have not resolved my issues. I was wondering if someone might be able to offer me assistance? These are my unit models.
    https://ufile.io/h5wjhgc8 ms3d file
    https://ufile.io/zo8d979n mesh file

Any help would be very appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by AnthoniusII View Post
    Regarding the required shine of certain objects like sword blades, metal helmets etc.
    My recomedetion is to make the required shine when you add the object's layer in your texture.
    Then inorder to avoid unwanted shiny effect for other objects like the shields in post 46 ALWAYS make the normal.map.texture's alpha chanel BLACK.
    Take a look of this picture:

How shiny the helmets or the swords blades are looking determined by two factors
    a) How much shiny i made them in the texture and
    b) from the battlemap lighting.
    Many people select spesific areas like blades in the normal.map.texture and make them versions of grey. But in my extended expirience by playing all battles in varius battlemaps , such option may end up with a totaly shiny like a "devine" sword or spear blade of a shiny helmet that shine its self covers all texture details.
    So this is my humble advice.
    When you add a sword to a texture, select its blade and play with contrast and lighting , even in color. When the result is what you like create your texture's normal.map with its alpha chanel totaly BLACK.
    That ensures that textures show 100% the colors and shine you wanted and selected.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hrobatos View Post
    I guess its a matter of personal preference. I would add a bit of gloss to those metal parts, they dont seem enough metallic as they are now on the picture.

Here is an example. Moravexxx made Almuhgavar Spearmen using Rusichi materials, and then I redid his normal map.

Here is his version

and here is the same unit with new normal map I did

But as said it is in the end matter of personal preferance. What I dislike is when a modification is not consistent, which happens when multiple people work on the project or use various additional packs from other modders. Very well made mods do focus on that polishing, and I find that to be real sign of great and quality work.
    Just like you said its a matter of persoal preference. But "talking" with mr R.D'Amato and the armor maker mr Katsikes of Hellenic Armors that his 1st assignment was in the Dumbttarton Oaks Museum and Research Library , there were NOT extremly shiny steel parts aven sword blades. That is the reason that only the edge of the sword is actyally stainless (or better looks like stainless) steel.
    Last edited by AnthoniusII; March 12, 2023 at 12:30 PM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123