Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: The Punisher

TheDarkKnight's Avatar Compliance will be rewarded
    took an arrow to the knee Content Emeritus spy of the council

Blog Entries

Default The Punisher

So it looks like we are soon going to be getting a trailer soon, I'm guessing at SDCC.

Based on Season 2 of Daredevil, the Punisher arc was really the best part. I hope that translates well to a full season.

I'm still hesitant when it comes to the thirteen episode format. So far every Marvel Netflix season has felt too long by about three episodes worth so making yet another 13 episodes makes me slightly concerned. Hopefully that does not happen.
    Last edited by TheDarkKnight; July 19, 2017 at 01:38 PM.
    Things I trust more than American conservatives:

Drinks from Bill Cosby, Flint Michigan tap water, Plane rides from Al Qaeda, Anything on the menu at Chipotle, Medical procedures from Mengele

gastovski's Avatar Campidoctor

Default Re: The Punisher (Marvel Netflix)

It's going to be mediocre at best. Most of Netflix shows are like these.

Blog Entries

Wow...You must be from a few months in the future!

The showrunner worked extensively on Hannibal so I'm fairly confident that he will do well.

Drinks from Bill Cosby, Flint Michigan tap water, Plane rides from Al Qaeda, Anything on the menu at Chipotle, Medical procedures from Mengele

Quote Originally Posted by gastovski View Post
    It's going to be mediocre at best. Most of Netflix shows are like these.
    As long as the craziness of the more recent Marvel comicbooks doesn't seep into it, it should at least be "okay". We'll see....

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by athanaric View Post
    As long as the craziness of the more recent Marvel comicbooks doesn't seep into it, it should at least be "okay". We'll see....
    I feel like Marvel Studios is trying to avoid that. I think the most recent thing that they have adapted is the Guardians team. Could be wrong though.

IronBrig4's Avatar Good Matey

Daredevil Season 1 - Just the right length
    Jessica Jones - A little overlong but enjoyable
    Daredevil Season 2 - The Hand subplot was unnecessary. Still, I liked the season
    Luke Cage - Should have been ten episodes although the music makes up for it
    Iron Fist - The whole thing should have been condensed into a two hour-long feature film

Under the patronage of Cpl_Hicks

I enjoyed Jessica jones the most to be honest.

Lord Oda Nobunaga's Avatar 大信皇帝
    Patrician

Quote Originally Posted by athanaric View Post
    We are in luck because the Punisher is something that Marvel comics hasn't really touched in a while. Their current Punisher comics on average seems to depict Punisher as mild mannered and not that threatening. That is literally about it, so not enough to destroy Punisher in my opinion.

Hopefully they will give us the badass Punisher that we deserve. I sincerely think that Punisher did nothing wrong. I want to see him single handedly fight hordes of mobsters and biker gangs n .

"Famous general without peer in any age, most superior in valor and inspired by the Way of Heaven; since the provinces are now subject to your will it is certain that you will increasingly mount in victory." - Ōgimachi-tennō

gastovski's Avatar Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by Knight of Heaven View Post
    I enjoyed Jessica jones the most to be honest.
    Then you are truly lost.

Then you are truly lost.
    Then it is good to be lost.

And only a Sith deal in absolutes...

At anycase it was the smartest show of the bunch.

Daredevil the first season was good on the account of Wilson Fisk alone. Second season was crap. Only The Punisher bit was good in it.

The other shows are unspeakable, disliked very much Luke Cage and Iron Fist.

Patrician

But isn't that an absolute? Are you a Sith?

I thought they were all at least average. Hopefully they do Punisher the right way and go back to the 90's style of badass comics. As they alluded to in Daredevil, the Punisher is not the kind of man to hold back. He wrecks and it is awesome.

"Famous general without peer in any age, most superior in valor and inspired by the Way of Heaven; since the provinces are now subject to your will it is certain that you will increasingly mount in victory." - Ōgimachi-tennō

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Oda Nobunaga View Post
    But isn't that an absolute? Are you a Sith?

I thought they were all at least average. Hopefully they do Punisher the right way and go back to the 90's style of badass comics. As they alluded to in Daredevil, the Punisher is not the kind of man to hold back. He wrecks and it is awesome.
    You have a very limited view of the force,if you want to fully understand it,you need to embrace all points of view, not only the dogmatic view of the jedi!!!

Anyway the Problem with the Punisher, its that dramaticaly ends up being limited after his issues are done.Iwonder what they will tackle in his own series,since his typical revenge story is basicaly done...

Patrician

I was actually wondering that as well. Would he essentially just walk around looking for violent crime to punish. This would presumably lead to him being challenged by another super hero. He might even go after a super villain. He usually takes on the hardcore criminal organizations and violent psychopaths and even the government at one point. For example if he had been in Jessica Jones he would have gone ham on David Tennant's character. That's really all he is about, he is basically an 80's/90's action movie. Since his comic was released in the early 80's they also gave him a backstory that involves him serving in the Vietnam War and getting PTSD.

IronBrig4's Avatar Good Matey

When the Punisher was introduced (1974), vigilante films were popular. Death Wish, Dirty Harry, etc. Crime rates kept rising in the US and nobody knew why. "Tough on crime" laws, community policing, midnight basketball, and all other programs couldn't make a dent in it. Eventually middle-class whites just threw up their hands and indulged in movies wherein vigilantes ignored bad laws, exterminated irredeemably violent criminals, and drove off into the sunset. The 1989 Punisher film (with Dolph Lundgren) was one such example.

Contrast this with Luke Cage, who was introduced at around the same time (1972). Cage was based on Shaft. Both were anti-heroes who went after the bad guys, but they never lost their ties to the local communities. Punisher just rolls his Battle Van into a rough part of town, wastes a street gang, and moves to another hunting ground before the police show up.

Under the patronage of Cpl_Hicks

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Oda Nobunaga View Post
    I was actually wondering that as well. Would he essentially just walk around looking for violent crime to punish. This would presumably lead to him being challenged by another super hero. He might even go after a super villain. He usually takes on the hardcore criminal organizations and violent psychopaths and even the government at one point. For example if he had been in Jessica Jones he would have gone ham on David Tennant's character. That's really all he is about, he is basically an 80's/90's action movie. Since his comic was released in the early 80's they also gave him a backstory that involves him serving in the Vietnam War and getting PTSD.
    The Punisher as a modern concept goes after people he knows are guilty but the government can not legally prove are guilty. There was once an amusing issue where the Punisher was caught and imprisoned, and it was more presented as a target-rich environment for him. Truthfully, no. That's not what he's evolved to be.
    One thing is for certain: the more profoundly baffled you have been in your life, the more open your mind becomes to new ideas.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Let's think the unthinkable, let's do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all.

Patrician

He has also gone after corrupt government officials. So he tends to run into trouble with the law as well as other super heroes.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gen. Chris View Post
    So it looks like we are soon going to be getting a trailer soon
    Soon is relative

Påsan's Avatar Hva i helvete?
    Citizen

Just realized Steven Deknight was show runner for Daredevil S1. That explains why S1 fight choreography (and story structure too really) was heads and shoulders above anything else. Would expect nothing else from the dude who made Spartacus. Should honestly just kept him around for the whole defenders. Random sparring sessions in Spartacus looked better than anything in Luke Cage, JJ and Iron Fist ever did.

Blog Entries

Boss trailer.

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast