Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: [RELEASE] WotN: The Baltic Release (Beta 3.5 Released 2022-03-16 - now with the new SUB-MOD "Factions United" added on March 17th 2022)

Default Re: [RELEASE] WotN: The Baltic Release (Beta 3.2)

Hi Mr_Nygren

Thank you for this mod

I have a question: is it possible for you to add something like that (next heir)
    https://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?489816-Choose-your-faction-heir-RELEASED
    in next version of Baltic Release or maybe in Gran Campaign, if it ever comes out?

The one i linked you is a submod for TLK. I know you developed a submod of TLK (TLK: WotN): did you include the submod i linked you in your submod?
    And if you did not: i was searching for that submod of TLK but attachment is gone. If you downloaded it and you still have it, can you upload it smomewhere, maybe as an attachment in the thread I linked you?

Thank you again

Mr_Nygren's Avatar Berserkir

Quote Originally Posted by Afterman View Post
    Hi Mr_Nygren

Thank you for this mod

I have a question: is it possible for you to add something like that (next heir)
    https://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?489816-Choose-your-faction-heir-RELEASED
    in next version of Baltic Release or maybe in Gran Campaign, if it ever comes out?

The one i linked you is a submod for TLK. I know you developed a submod of TLK (TLK: WotN): did you include the submod i linked you in your submod?
    And if you did not: i was searching for that submod of TLK but attachment is gone. If you downloaded it and you still have it, can you upload it smomewhere, maybe as an attachment in the thread I linked you?

Thank you again
    Thanks, I have only developed this mod since 2016. The original team had already released a 1.5 alpha when i picked it up.

The reason the Grand Campaign is delayed is due to a very annoying CTD after about 42-48 turns into a campaign, and I can't seem to solve the issue. I have no explanation as to why it crashes to the desktop. But I might still go for a release even though i would need to remake certain factions totally if I do it. I have new ideas about what I wish to do with the mod. All the TLK rosters minus possibly Alba would need to go to keep the style to one single style. The only reason I would possibly keep Alba is because they don't have good WotN-styled units.

At least when TGC goes public there are lots of models with the right style one could use in the Grand Campaign. The Roman roster has been planed since 2016 - when Absinthia got permission. But we didn't get the right to use them until after TGC's public release. As such we went for TLK and EoR rosters instead. But I don't really like the TLK-rosters.

As for the baltic release there ain't much one can do but adding new scripts which I won't do even though I've learnt how to do it when I worked on HTW:CU for the last year or so since late 2018.

That heir-script is in the TLK:WotN submod. I did manually implement it by adding the unofficial 4.0 patch to my submod, and it had it included. But I simply used Total Commander to move over the changes manually - another modder had moved the mod over into his patch and then I compared his files and added it to my submod.

WotN: The Baltic will probably not get that feature.
    Last edited by Mr_Nygren; May 28, 2020 at 10:56 PM.
    Be your friend's, true friend. Return gift for gift. Repay laughter, with laughter again
    but betrayal with treachery.

- The Havamal

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Nygren View Post
    Thanks, I have only developed this mod since 2016. The original team had already released a 1.5 alpha when i picked it up.

The reason the Grand Campaign is delayed is due to a very annoying CTD after about 42-48 turns into a campaign, and I can't seem to solve the issue. I have no explanation as to why it crashes to the desktop. But I might still go for a release even though i would need to remake certain factions totally if I do it. I have new ideas about what I wish to do with the mod. All the TLK rosters minus possibly Alba would need to go to keep the style to one single style. The only reason I would possibly keep Alba is because they don't have good WotN-styled units.

At least when TGC goes public there are lots of models with the right style one could use in the Grand Campaign. The Roman roster has been planed since 2016 - when Absinthia got permission. But we didn't get the right to use them until after TGC's public release. As such we went for TLK and EoR rosters instead. But I don't really like the TLK-rosters.

As for the baltic release there ain't much one can do but adding new scripts which I won't do even though I've learnt how to do it when I worked on HTW:CU for the last year or so since late 2018.

That heir-script is in the TLK:WotN submod. I did manually implement it by adding the unofficial 4.0 patch to my submod, and it had it included. But I simply used Total Commander to move over the changes manually - another modder had moved the mod over into his patch and then I compared his files and added it to my submod.

WotN: The Baltic will probably not get that feature.
    Thank you for the answer. I'm happy to know it is included in TLK:WotN

EDIT: TGC is already public (only Alpha version)

https://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?801850-TGC-0-97-public-alpha-Released-version-15-01-2020-patch-002
    Last edited by Afterman; June 01, 2020 at 07:39 AM.

I know i May be late but your mod is amazing. the different languages in the factions are just the tip of the iceberg. The battle are so intense that if your losing you want to quit but then theres a chance you may win, even with one man remaining. Two words simply incredible. hopefully the grand campaign will be released soon. And like i said i may be responding late. your wrath of the norsemen is up there with stainless steel and if the grand campaign is anything like the small mod then your be tops for sure. Keep up the good work.

Quote Originally Posted by Afterman View Post
    Thank you for the answer. I'm happy to know it is included in TLK:WotN

EDIT: TGC is already public (only Alpha version)

https://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?801850-TGC-0-97-public-alpha-Released-version-15-01-2020-patch-002
    I believe the M2TWEOP-tool allows the player to change the heir etc at will - it's in the options that one can check with an "X".

Nope, the team-leader of TGC said we aren't allowed to use the assets yet - the released version is in alpha and not released on MODDB yet - which it will need to be before anyone has the right to use it's assets.
    Be your friend's, true friend. Return gift for gift. Repay laughter, with laughter again

- The Havamal

Quote Originally Posted by coitus interruptus View Post
    I know i May be late but your mod is amazing. the different languages in the factions are just the tip of the iceberg. The battle are so intense that if your losing you want to quit but then theres a chance you may win, even with one man remaining. Two words simply incredible. hopefully the grand campaign will be released soon. And like i said i may be responding late. your wrath of the norsemen is up there with stainless steel and if the grand campaign is anything like the small mod then your be tops for sure. Keep up the good work.
    You should credit the original Wrath of the Norsemen-team for all that historical accuracy, the map, the scripts and the models themselves. Even the awesome scandinavian forests and terrain is their work. My work were the music submod, the addition of the De Bello Mundi-cities, the fixing of all the silver surfers and other bugs of the units and of course the enhanced gameplay and more diverse rebels on the map.

So I may be the current developer since 2016 but this mod is by no means "my mod" - I continued the work of Absinthia, Leif Ericsson and the others who worked on this mod back in like 2007-2011. Yes, it was a much more "buggy" alpha when I started to work on it - and now it's more polished with a lot of improvements. The mod could still use more scripts and events like the other "The Last Kingdom"-mod so it isn't really completed like originally planed. I believe the original team released it to have something released - my work has simply been to polish the mod and make it more completed. Still I'm not an advanced scripter so I have avoided adding more scripts but it could use lots of events.

Thanks for enjoying the mod.

- The Havamal

Edit as of 2020-11-16 - ADDITIONAL STEPS REQUIRED FOR THE STEAM-VERSION OF MEDIEVAL 2 ON WIN 10:

I tried it on Windows 7 - no issues, I tried it with the CD-version on Windows 10 - no issues - But according to the creators of the tool it is required to change some stuff for the Steam-version on Win 10.

You do need to right-click on the Medieavl2.exe/Kingdoms.exe and change some things in the compatibility mode. It will also need to be done with the tools .exe file.

- This is due to the scaling settings in windows 10.

"You need to open file properties-> compatibility-> change DPI settings-> check the box and select "application""

"This option also helps with med2 for some people (+20fps) (Set dpi scale to "controlled by application""

It's a tool that modifies the games .EXE while the game is running.

You can place ancillaries at 32 only if you wish to modify the mod and add more ancillaries to each character - the old limit was 8, you can place religions at 12 if you want more religions - the old number was 10 - otherwise I'd suggest not to use these as they might still affect the mod negatively as they are increasing the limits of the game. There is a button named "Click Me" - if you click on it you'll get information about the program, things you shouldn't do unless you want a crash and shortcuts to certain features like for example being able to zoom-out enormously on the map, highlighting all the troops and other stuff. You do need to place the anti-aliasing through the tools UI before starting up the mod - place it at 8 for the maximum quality. If you change this inside of the game using the tool the game is going to crash.

On the right-side of the tools UI are many options - I would only have a few activated - those are "berserks-fix" which will enable the berserker ability from Rome: Total War to work on the units - you'll just have to hand out the "berserk"-mental state to the units you wish to go berserk - in the vanilla Medieval 2 mod this mental state would crash as soon as the units entered a battle - this feature will be useful in Viking-based mods and for the Uruk-Hai Berserkers in Third Age I am sure, then I would activate the "Unlock Console Command" - which will enable all the console command codes in the mod and finally I would activate the "creatures-fix" which will fix the skeleton of all the elephant-based units in the mod. There are no elephant-based units in this mod though so it's not required.

Credit should be given to youneuoy and Jojo00182.

Link to the Total War Center-page of the Tool where it can be downloaded for usage in other mods and projects:

Twcenter.net

Download Wrath of the Norsemen: The Baltic Release Beta 3.3 - Mod DB

I've updated the original Wrath of the Norsmen modification from 3.2 to 3.3 - it's a very minor update but nonetheless important:

Changes:

1. Has edited the Berserkirs and the Ulfhednars and given them 2handed axes and placed their shields on their backs.

2. Has enabled the "berserker" mental state in the EDU for these two units.

The changes will require the M2TWEOP (Medieval 2 Total War Engine Overhaul Project)-tool to prevent the real-time-battles from crashing when the berserker-state is active and the units in question reach the enemy.

- I've already integrated this tool into the mod, so it should be ready already - you just need to start the mod through the tool. It's like a UI and it's easy to use.

I've edited the Ulfhednar-mesh and the Berserkir-mesh and replaced the one-handed axe and shield with the Huskarl 2handed axe and placed the shield on the back.

Why you ask?

Because the "berserker" mental state didn't look good in battle with a 1handed weapon. Sure, it still doesn't look as good as in Rome: Total War because the animation there is different - but it does look better with a 2h axe than with a 1h axe and shield.

The "Berserker" mental state is activated randomly during a battle, unless you hand out the "Warcry"-attribute to the unit - because when using the Warcry ability they'll immediately go berserk and charge at the enemy - no matter how far away the enemy is.

As such I've added the "Warcry"-attribute to the Berserkirs and the Ulfhednars - the Berserkirs also lacked the "scare enemy infantry"-attribute which has been added - the Ulfhednars already had this.

- The Havamal

Default Re: [RELEASE] WotN: The Baltic Release (Beta 3.3)

I have WIN 10 and Steam edition of the game and I have done your additionnal steps (medieval2.exe, kingdoms.exe and M2TWEOP.exe) but when I click on "start mod", the app freeze and finally crashes. Any idea?

Edit: Nevermind I'm a fool, I forgot to launch Steam before launching the mod. It works now .
    Last edited by Nelduin; November 16, 2020 at 09:44 AM.

Mundus Bellicus - TWC - ModDB - Discord - Steam
    ~ Patronized by Gaius Baltar, son of the Great Family of imb39, of the House of Garbarsardar, of the Noble House of Wilpuri.

Quote Originally Posted by Nelduin View Post
    I have WIN 10 and Steam edition of the game and I have done your additionnal steps (medieval2.exe, kingdoms.exe and M2TWEOP.exe) but when I click on "start mod", the app freeze and finally crashes. Any idea?

Edit: Nevermind I'm a fool, I forgot to launch Steam before launching the mod. It works now .
    Good to know that you solved it.

The tool isn't compatible with ReShade either so just wanted to write that.

- The Havamal

EDIT as of 2021-05-23 - New installation-video made and uploaded on how to install Wrath of the Norsemen Version 3.3 using the Medieval 2 Total War Engine Overhaul Project (M2TWEOP)-tool.

- The Havamal

Default Re: [RELEASE] WotN: The Baltic Release (Beta 3.4)

Hello, so I'm working on two projects currently - Wrath of the Norsemen: The Baltic, and my submod for it called "Factions United" where I've remade the old submod named "VIKINGS Submod" in 2016 - the old one weren't stable unlike the new one.

I've posted info in the pictures-section over at MODDB.

Here are some updates:

1. Version 3.4 of the official mod released a few weeks back and simply added version 2.0 of the M2TWEOP-tool - required for the berserk-mental-state to not crash in battle.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

The Lidsmenn have finally been fixed and are now holding their spears in melee, while still throwing their Javelins while pointing them the right way.

New Berserker-assassin strat-map model for the Norse and Gardariki'Rus!

I've added a new assassin strat-map model for the Norse factions (Halogaland, Vestfold, Rygjalandi, Moerrafylki (Norse), Svitjod, Gutland, Gautland (Swedes, Gauts and Gutes), Danmörk (Danes) and Gardariki Rus' (Russia).

I've also made it the "Heretic".

There are already old merchants that look unique.

Edit:

I've updated the Berserker-assassin and added the shield on the back and an axe.

Also, I've finished the Vikingar-soldier shared between the same factions.

The merchant is old and will be kept as stated previously.

The diplomat is also old and will be kept for some of the factions if not all of them.

I'm going to add a new generic general, a unique "heir" and "Jarl/King" - as well as add a new spy.

The submod has diplomats and assassins de-activated but I've re-added the assassins for the Norse/Danes/Gutes/Swedes/Gauts and Rus'.

New generic Shield Maiden Spy for the Norse/Danes etc!

I've added a new spy strat-map model for the Norse factions (Halogaland, Vestfold, Rygjalandi, Moerrafylki (Norse), Svitjod, Gutland, Gautland (Swedes, Gauts and Gutes), Danmörk (Danes) and Gardariki Rus' (Russia).

This is replacing the old vanilla spy.

It's based on the Call of Warhammer Shield Maidens but using my edits for TLK: WotN.

New generic Kertilsveinar-general for the Norse/Danes etc!

I've added a new generic Kertilsveinar general strat-map model for the Norse factions (Halogaland, Vestfold, Rygjalandi, Moerrafylki (Norse), Svitjod, Gutland, Gautland (Swedes, Gauts and Gutes), Danmörk (Danes) and Gardariki Rus' (Russia).

This is replacing the outdated general in use by everyone in the mod except the Francs.

Its currently using a skin suitable for Svitjod (Swedish Vikings) but will get new textures on the shield, cape and armor for the others.

Edit: I have made variations of the Vikingr-soldier for all the Viking-factions except the Rus' - who are still using the old model shown above. The others have at least different shields, and some have different armor.

PS: The kertilsveinar-general will also get variations unique for the factions.

Wrath of the Norsemen Factions United-submod.

I originally in January 2016 started my modding on Medieval II: Total War: Kingdoms by reworking Wrath of the Norsemen from 2011, which was in an alpha-state with a lot of bugs, no custom settlements, no custom music, many unfinished unit-cards, glitched units and such - and in January 2016 I believe my first release happened.

I released WotN VIKINGS SUBMOD which changed the music in the game, but also made all the factions start with every territory that they should have owned historically. In the original mod each faction starts out with one or two villages and then has to compete with the others in conquering most of the map stretching Scandinavia, the Baltic, the beginning of the Russian Steppes and parts of Europe - an endeavor that would often end in the player blitzing the rebels and ending up with a huge stretch of land while the AI factions hadn't even begun their conquests yet.

So currently two updates are in the works - the official mod, which has been updated with fixes to rebel-unit cards that were missing, Lidsmenn has been fixed, the AI has been replaced with the much more aggressive Savage AI of Stainless Steel - so the AI won't do nothing for a long period of time anymore and instead will attack everyone it borders, improved the victory conditions and the diplomacy at the start and finally I've begun to add new strat-map models to the mod.

But.. I already had a WIP (Work-in-progress) submod in the works since 2018 which aimed at recreating my old submod from January 2016. The issue with the original mod had been that it CTD (crashed to desktop) randomly all the time.. And I were unable to fix it. That's why I focused on the Official release that were stable. Now, the Regnum Francorum submod by Aphain seemed stable after he removed the Pope and such, so I gambled on it. However I didn't feel like re-doing everything in vain again.. Until now when I started doing new strat-models. Unlike the old version the new has garrisons everywhere & is stable.

New Svitjod/Swede variation of the Vikingr Soldier strat-model:

New Danish Vikingr Strat_map soldier variation:

New Gutland strat-map Vikingr soldier:

Gutland and Gautland will share body but might get different shields.

Gautland Vikingr strat-model:

Vestfold will have the same body as Svitjod but with a different shield.

New Vestfold Vikingr Soldier:

New Moerrafylki Vikingr strat-map soldier:

New Rygjalandi Vikingr Strat-map soldier:

New Halogaland Vikingr strat-map soldier:

The general also will need variations.

After that I'll be doing the Francs, the Sami, the Finns, the Balts and the Slavs.

They will not have more than one or zero variations.

1 Franc faction, 1 sami faction, 1 Finn faction.

Balts and Slavs will have two variations of their soldiers and generals.

Hopefully we'll get something new for the Rus' as well.
    Last edited by Mr_Nygren; November 07, 2021 at 01:42 AM.

- The Havamal

Default Re: [RELEASE] WotN: The Baltic Release (Beta 3.4)

Hello guys, on November 7th 2021 I did also finish a Lagertha strat-map model for the "Factions United"-submod - unlike the "Lagertha" from TLK: WotN that I made for the battle-map only back in 2017 and based on the Call of Warhammer Shield Maidens but edited to remove certain fantasy elements, this new Lagertha is using different gear that better suits the historical accuracy demanded from Wrath of the Norsemen. Of course her armor on the legs is still not historically accurate but the goal was to make her as historically accurate as possible in terms of her gear while still being limited to the existing model and textures. So to be frank I picked the stuff that looked the most accurate on the texture - while back in 2017 when I modified TLK: WotN I didn't care and used whatever I thought looked the best.

In mythology and in the Sagas Lagertha were a Norwegian Queen and Shield Maiden. So she is as real as Ragnar! However, she were also the wife of Ragnar at one point - most likely later after the setting which WotN is set in.

Ragnar Lothbrok/Lodbrok is the leader of the Svitjod/Swede faction in the mod. He was in mythology/history the Prince of the Svitjod tribe. That later went on to become King over all of Denmark. So I had the choice of making Lagertha a Norse-hero or a Svitjod-hero. I wanted her in the same faction as Ragnar so she ended up in Svitjod.

There won't be a bodyguard of shield maidens unlike in TLK: WotN. She will be the only shield maiden in battle. Others are not backed up by history - Lagertha is. So in the end she will have a male bodyguard of Skutilsveinar spearmen just like the other generals. As Wrath of the Norsemen aims to be true to history unlike TLK: WotN which aimed to be true to the books "The Last Kingdom" TV-show is based on. The mod "The Last Kingdom" is also based on these books - and the submod that I made just added more variation in units and additional gameplay mechanics.

That's why she won't have her TV-show shield neither - as it's historically inaccurate. The TLK: WotN submod used the shield from the TV-show Vikings because why not? But WotN: The Baltic has a different goal - no fantasy-stuff or non-historical stuff. She will have a Svitjod shield instead as she's in the Svitjod-faction together with Ragnar Lodbrok. This was because I wanted as I said these two in the same faction. Otherwise she probably should be in the Vestfold-faction.

I did spend some time on her texture for The Last Kingdom: Wrath of the Norsemen back in 2017. Now I've remade it to fit a strat-model in WotN - and of course her battle-model will need to be edited into the same as the strat-model later. I do enjoy using the "Immersion Mod" in battle - a third person mod originally developed by modder Sapiens in 2013 but later improved upon by Hit&Run in 2019 during the summer - this addon-mod doesn't work with the CD but works with any mod using Steam. And of course I wanted Lagertha and Ragnar in the same faction. But she will not be in the mod in the main Baltic Release - only in my submod called "Factions United".

The old main texture looked like this (from Call of Warhammer and used with permission since 2017):

The 2017 attachments-texture looked like this.. Had to move over files:

The new one looks like this:

- So I've combined the attachmentset-texture with the body-texture back in November as strat-models use only one single texture unlike the battle-models who can use both single textures or two separate textures. The work of adding the WotN shield-textures to the CoW Shield Maidens, and of replacing the face and hair with that of Lagertha from the TV-show Vikings was done back in 2017 for the TLK: WotN submod - but I've switched out certain textures such as the shield-texture, the armor etc - she is looking more historically accurate now than in the old mod.

I'm using the original one with the brown hair for the generic spies of all the Norse factions including the Rus'.

Also, there existed a different variant in use in TLK: WotN with blonde hair for the original faces. But it cannot be edited due to me sending the file to my Sister for her to add blonde hair etc to the texture - and unfortunately she saved the file in a weird format so that I cannot edit it in Gimp at all - but it did work as it was in the TLK: WotN submod. This is also why the spy is brown-haired. I wanted the blonde one at first.. It could still be used in the model-program and in the game. But it were impossible to add new attachments to it due to the aforementioned issue. And that's required for strat-models to combine the attachmentset-texture with the body-texture - as the strat-models only have one texture as previously explained.. While the battle-models often have two. Forcing me to move over stuff from one texture to the other.

I want her in the mod because I did spend time on her texture and such.

By the way:

Third Age: Reforged has a gorgeous Shield Maiden-unit for the Kingdom of Rohan and I spoke with one of their developers and he said I were allowed to use his models. That particular model wasn't his creation so he asked me to ask its creator for permission. What I can say is that the model has a bunch of different faces/hairstyles and it's gorgeous - and one of the heads look like the actor of Lagertha in my opinion. I might remake her using that model if I am permitted to do so. Even though I would need to edit the model so that it doesn't look like a Rohan-model. She would need different colors and the gear edited.
    Last edited by Mr_Nygren; December 31, 2021 at 05:47 AM.

- The Havamal

Default Re: [RELEASE] WotN: The Baltic Release (Beta 3.5 Released 2022-03-16)

https://www.moddb.com/mods/wrath-of-...elease-beta-30

Link to the article posted over at MODDB.com on March 17th 2022:

https://www.moddb.com/mods/wrath-of-...b-mod-released

Wrath of the Norsemen V. 3.5!

- Lidsmenn-bug fixed, the unit will now hold their spears correctly in melee and won't have a bugged javelin instead.

I've fixed the long-standing bug causing the Lidsmenn to not hold their spears properly in melee, so the unit is a combined javelin/spearmen unit - and it's using javelins that are pointing towards the enemy before they're thrown unlike in many other mods.

The issue was such that the spears and javelins where both rigged to the "Weapon_01" joint, causing the spears to be glitched in melee while the javelins looked fine, by changing this to the right_hand-joint the spear became alright instead but the javelin would point the wrong way..

I then finally managed to fix the issue by moving the spear-vertices to the right-hand while not moving the other vertices for the javelin. I had forgotten how to do this but managed to somehow do it in the end. So now the unit is fixed.

- A much more aggressive campaign-AI from Stainless Steel implemented - so the AI won't do nothing for a long period of time anymore and instead will attack everyone it borders.

- Added missing rebel unit-cards - the mod has been updated with fixes to rebel-unit cards that were missing.

- Starting diplomacy and victory conditions updated - improved the victory conditions and the diplomacy at the start.

- New strat-models for the Norse & the Rus' made for and implemented to the mod - a new berserker-heretic for the Rebels without a weapon, a new berserker-assassin for all the Norse factions and the Rus, a new Shieldmaiden-spy based on the edited Call of Warhammer Shield Maidens, a new Vikingr-soldier stratmodel for all the Norse and the Rus using different skins for the armor and the shield - the Rus' share skins with Svitjod - and two of the Norse factions (Moerrafylki & Rygjalandi) do share shield-texture with each other, a new Kertilsveinar-general for all the Norse and the Rus' - the shields have unique textures for most factions, Moerrafylki and Rygjalandi share textures and Svitjod and the Rus' share.

- M2TWEOP-tool Version 2.0 made optional - easier to start-up then the old version of the tool, the mod will now be easier to use and start-up as the WotN.bat-file is now back and could be used instead of the M2TWEOP-tool to play the game.

- The berserker mental state removed as it required the tool, the Berserkirs and the Ulfhednars are using their old models with more shield-variations and using a 1-handed axe and shield in battle instead of a 2-handed axe with the shield on the back.
    Last edited by Mr_Nygren; April 05, 2022 at 08:34 AM. Reason: Adding missing pics and a link to the article.

- The Havamal

Default Re: [RELEASE] WotN: The Baltic Release (Beta 3.5 Released 2022-03-16)

Wrath of the Norsemen: The Baltic - FACTIONS UNITED-sub-mod:

Download Wrath of the Norsemen: The Baltic - Factions United Submod! (2022) - Mod DB

The sub-mod "FACTIONS UNITED" is including every change above in addition to some unique features such as:

1. Every faction in the mod starts with all their historical regions/settlements at the start of the game - in the original mod most faction would start with 1-3 regions and then most of the map stretching Scandinavia, the Baltic, parts of Western Europe and the Russian Steppes would be held by rebels. You would start small, your economy would be minimal and you would compete with the other nations in conquering the map from the rebels before the real war between the factions could even start. The map has the maximum 199 regions and the majority of it would be controlled by the rebels. In order to earn money you'd need to play very aggressively and sack, raid and pillage every settlement that you'd conquer to earn money. If you instead decided to turtle in your cities you would go bankrupt within a few turns.

Regnum Francorum-sub-mod dated February 2018 by Aphain, which the "Factions United"-sub-mod is based on:

It did include these changes compared to the main mod:

"Features:

- completely overhauled building tree (for all factions)

- new buildings

- special buildings in your capital (only settlement which can construct stone walls)

- removed unused factions

- cleaned up most files

- important characters will spawn

- new events

- new ancillaries

- new traits

- new ships

- new/updated texts

- redone family tree

- new settlement and region names for Frisian and Saxon Regions

- new character names

- fixed some bugs and a lot of spelling/grammar mistakes

The new Factions United sub-mod includes the original mod and the Regnum Francorum sub-mod as its base, then it changes the starting positions on the map and hands all the rebel areas to different factions based on history. So the rebels are extinct in this sub-mod and instead you'd play with all of Danmörk, all of Svitjod, all of Vestfold etc at the start - allowing the Total War to start immediately between the factions in the game as there are no rebel regions anymore.

2. All the rebel-garrisons on the map are now a part of each of the factions - so for example every rebel garrison in Svitjod now will be player-controlled if the player is playing the game as Svitjod - this has been done for every faction on the campaign-map - you'd be controlling all of their armies and their entire country/tribe. Compared to version 1.5 where the rebels were placeholders for unconquered tribes in this sub-mod all the independent smaller tribes have united - Geats, Gutes, Svear, Danes - the Norse are still divided between four different factions on the map but there are no rouge-areas anymore - the starting garrisons are therefore more numerous and you are in charge of the united faction in this sub-mod.

3. The starting economy in the sub-mod has been adjusted to fit the new setting - so each faction will have more money at the start of the game to compensate having conquered all their regions and assimilated all the rebel garrisons into their armies. This is done to prevent bankruptcy and the economy is barely above the level required to not go bankrupt at the start of the campaign - if you lose areas you will get richer and if you conquer more areas and recruit more troops the economy might require specific buildings in order to not take a dip leading to bankruptcy. You can still earn money by sacking areas but I also believe that you can do the same thing by building the right buildings in higher level settlements then village.

4. New "Lagertha" strat-model for Svitjod in the "Factions United"-submod - I've remade the Lagertha-model from The Last Kingdom: Wrath of the Norsemen and added the remade much improved version to Wrath of the Norsemen: The Baltic - Factions United sub-mod as a strat-map model on the map for the Svitjod faction.

So the mythological Shield Maiden Lagertha where at one point a Norwegian Queen and would probably have fit well in the Vestfold-faction based on this, but she was also the wife of Ragnarr Lothbrok at one point - and Konungr Ragnarr is the leader of Svitjod in this mod so I added her to the same faction.

Ragnar started as the crown prince of Svitjod and this mod starts early in 785. The Viking-age started in 793 in England.

5. The battle-model of Lagertha has been updated - Unfortunately the battle-model is looking ugly compared to the strat-map model of Lagertha, and this is due to the normal-file causing it to look bad - I attempted to remake it but it didn't help..

So the difference with a strat-map model is that the models on the strategic map do not use files known as "normals", so the model looks much better on the map. I don't know how to make a battle-model look as good. In other mods the battle-models in for example Warcraft where already done by Bantu, in Hyrule by Undying Nephalim etc - strat-map models end up much better for some reason when I edit them.

This Lagertha has some weird looking areas but it will have to do for now. She looked a lot better in the MS3D-program then in the game - and she looked just as good on the map as in that program. But not in battle sadly.

By the way, some edited models in Warcraft and Hyrule looked great, where I edited them and moved gear around - but for some reason Lagertha didn't look as great in battle as for example the female commanders of Stromgarde (WarcraftTW) or the new Labrynnian Pistolmen (HyruleTW) that I did edit among other units - only some battle-models end up ugly when I edit them.

Background of the sub-mod:

"- Factions United is a sub-mod of Wrath of the Norsemen: The Baltic by the original developers 2007-2011, and me since 2016 to now, and its submod Regnum Francorum by Aphain in 2018 in which he based his submod on my work of 2017-2018 - its goal was to recreate my failed sub-mod of January 2016 which aimed to add all the historical territory of each faction to each faction at the start of the campaign, increase the economy to make-up for the new regions, add garrisons to each area and then also update the sub-mod with the recent updates of the main mod."

Credits:

WotN: The Baltic Version 3.5 and "Factions United":

- Mr_Nygren

Older Versions:

"Regnum Francorum sub-mod": Aphain

- the "1648: Thirty Years of War" mod team for some building pictures

Credits:

- Mr_Nygren (head) and Juzy90 (ancillaries, traits) for the awesome WotN 3.1 - without it this submod would not be possible

- The old WotN team including Absinthia, Ulfhednin, Horsa and Leif Eriksson - for the base mod, units and scripts etc! Basically all the groundwork and the whole 1.5 beta version

- Danova et al. from "Last Kingdom" - for the Frankish captain and general strat models

- Rhaymo and DBM - for the creation of the custom settlements in use by all factions

- The "East of Rome" mod, Deutschland et al. - for the new slavic textures applied to the custom settlements by Rhaymo

- Darius et al. from "East of Rome: The Danube Limes" for assets from "The Danube Limes"

- the "1648: Thirty Years of War" mod team for some building picture

Wrath of the Norsemen: The Baltic 3.0-3.4:

- Mr_Nygren for most of the new stuff.

- New traits and ancillaries have been added today 2017-07/16 by Juzy90.

But there are certain people who deserve credit as without them this wouldn't have been possible:

- The old WotN-team including Absinthia, Ulfhednin, Horsa and Leif Eriksson - for the base-mod, units and scripts etc! Basically all the groundwork and the whole 1.5 beta version. - My 2.0 were just some fixes really and without the music-mod (which was my big contribution to WotN) it weren't much.

- I am currently the only active developer of WotN, and i have permission from other old team-members such as Absinthia and Horsa - to continue this project. - I am an official developer on TWC for WotN.

- Danova and The Last Kingdom - for the Frankish captain and general strat models.

- There was a sharing agreement between Danova, creator of The Last Kingdom - and Wrath of the Norsemen. - There are proof of this on TWC, we have permission to use material such as the Frankish captain and general strat-models.

- Rhaymo and DBM - for the creation of the custom settlements in use by all factions.

- Rhaymo allows the use of DBM assets in other mods - alas we have permission to use the custom settlements.

- The EoR-mod and Deutschland etc - for the new slavic textures applied to the custom settlements by Rhaymo - the Viking/Slav custom settlements have re-textures from EoR.

- I am also an official developer of EoR (East of Rome) and Deutschland himself approved of this - i've gotten Darius permission to use assets from"The Danube Limes" in WotN - and as the custom settlements are Rhaymo's and were free to use for everyone i'd say permission exists for the re-textures also.
    Last edited by Mr_Nygren; April 05, 2022 at 09:07 AM. Reason: Updated on March 17th 2022.

- The Havamal

Default Re: [RELEASE] WotN: The Baltic Release (Beta 3.5 Released 2022-03-16 - now with the new SUB-MOD "Factions United" added on March 17th 2022)

EDIT of 2022-04-02 - Vanilla Medieval II: Total War: Kingdoms Music-package uploaded for let's Players who want to play this mod on Youtube without the video being blocked in certain countries.

"This is a package of the vanilla music in use by older versions of this mod. Just place the content of the downloaded folder inside of the WotN_RF/data/sounds-folder (the submod) or the WotN/data/sounds-folder (the Main Mod) - before doing this you can move the custom mod-files already there to a backup-folder if you wish to keep the mods custom music as otherwise you'd be replacing the custom music of the mod.

Youtube has a tendency to block the mod if played with the custom music, and force the player to mute all the sound - using the vanilla music instead this won't be an issue for let's players of this mod.

These files will work with both the main release and the sub-mod."

Download Vanilla Medieval 2 Music Package! - Mod DB

Installation:

Wrath of the Norsemen: The Baltic Release Version 3.5:

Installation: (Steam)

1. You need to go into the folder named "Medieval II Total War" and then copy the file named "medieval2.exe" - then rename the copied file to kingdoms.exe. This is needed or the mod won't launch with Steam.

2. You do need to patch the medieval2.exe and the kingdoms.exe with a program named "4gb patch" found at this link:

Moddb.com

3. It's a program, extract it anywhere on your computer, then run it as an administrator - then browse to both .exe-files inside of the "Medieval II Total War"-folder and select one of them and click on "patch" - then repeat the process with the other one.

4. You need to have just one folder named "WotnBaltic" as in "Steam\steamapps\common\Medieval II Total War\mods\WotnBaltic - and then You'll start it by double-cllicking the "WotNbeta".bat-file.

5. With the CD instead it would be "D:\Games\SEGA\Medieval II Total War\mods\WotnBaltic - and you'll still start it by double-clicking on the "WotNbeta".bat-file.

With the "Factions United"-sub-mod instead the folder of the mod needs to be named "WotN_RF" and the file you click on when starting the mod is named simply "WotN".bat.

Edit (important): WotN Version 3.5 is a stand-alone mod, the same is true for the "Factions United"-sub-mod - you only need one of them to play that one, they shouldn't be placed on-top of one another. No files should be replaced as they are separate mods - the reason it's called a sub-mod is because it is based off of the other one.

The main mod can also be launched using the "M2TWEOP GUI".exe which will allow you to use some additional features while playing the mod - this file is not required to enjoy the mod anymore but would add the additional features of the tool such as the ability to zoom-out on the battlefield extremely, mark all the units in colors constantly, hands you additional features - see earlier articles for info regarding this tool.

Wrath of the Norsemen: The Baltic V 3.5 & the "Factions United"-sub-mod has been released! In the main mod there will be new stratmap-models for the Norse/Rus', the unit "Lidsmenn" has been fixed in battle, missing rebel unit-cards has been added, diplomacy has been improved at the start, winning conditions more accurate to history and the campaign-AI has been replaced with a much more aggressive one on the map - the submod allows you to start with all the territory of a faction at the start!

- The Havamal

Default Re: [RELEASE] WotN: The Baltic Release (Beta 3.5 Released 2022-03-16 - now with the new SUB-MOD "Factions United" added on March 17th 2022)

- New Overview-videos for both new mod releases detailing the features of said mods and their changes:

Wrath of the Norsemen: The Baltic V.3.5 (Main Mod):

Wrath of the Norsemen: The Baltic - Factions United Sub-Mod:

Also, I've started a new let's play:

"
    In this 1st part, the Svitjod faction will build some buildings, hire some Farmers/Bondr and garrisons will be moved to the frontiers of Svitjod, the Shield Maiden Lagertha will retake an area taken by Gautland/Götaland and later a giant battle will be fought in a Scandinavian forest between Lagertha's forces and just as big Gautnskr forces of Gautland - Ragnarr Lothbrok is in the meantime gathering a huge hird/herd/army and marching down towards the Gautnskr homelands.

I'm starting a new Let's Play as the Svitjod-faction in the mod Wrath of the Norsemen: The Baltic: Factions United - a sub-mod of WotN: The Baltic - which itself is a total overhaul mod for the PC-game Medieval II: Total War released in 2006 and its expansion "Kingdoms" released in 2007.

The mod takes the original game set in 11th Century Medieval Europe and where you pick a faction to play as and then the aim is to conquer the other factions of the game - and turns it into an earlier setting in the early Medieval period of the Viking Age - so in the mod you get to play as different factions using entirely new models, a new map, new music, new city models and new events.

I'm playing as the Swedish Vikings, the Tribe known as Svitjod - they start in the area of Sweden's modern-day capital Stockholm but here their capital is Sigtunir in old norse - or "Sigtuna" in Swedish. The faction is lead by King Ragnarr Lothbrok, who historically was the heir and later Jarl of the Svitjod tribe - he later managed to become King over all of Denmark.

Lagertha the Shield Maiden is the heir of this faction in the sub-mod only, and has a unique strat-map model and battle-model.

The sub-mod "Factions United" is adding a lot of new changes to the main mod, and its sub-mod "Regnum Francorum" by the German modder Aphain.

- The new sub-mod "Factions United" allows the player to control entire tribes at the start of the campaign and is removing the rebels from the map.

Also, the sub-mod has been updated with everything new from WotN: The Baltic V.3.5 - including fixes, new strat-map models and an enhanced AI on the campaign-map.

In the campaign I will aim to unite the Kingdom of Sweden by defeating Gautland and the Geats, Gutland and the Gutnish and Kvenland and the Kvens - Danmörk is the main enemy that would historically defeat Svitjod even though Ragnar would become Danmörks King.

There is a risk that the Norse (Norwegians) might attack during the campaign and if so I'll have to take all of Scandinavia. There is a goal to kill off Kvenland (Finnish/Sami) as well. Only in the very late game will I possibly attack the Balts, the Slavs or the Franks. Expect the Gutnskr, Gautskr and the Danes to be the main focus.

Unlike in the old Walkthrought-videos of the original mod, the last of which I uploaded in September or October 2017 - this one will feature actual voice commentary, vanilla music and better video quality."

- The Havamal

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12