Thread: Battles boring - unit/AI question

Default Battles boring - unit/AI question

So i was absolutely loving this mod, the campaign portion of it is pretty great.

The problem for me was after getting used to the battle system , no slow mo button, UI etc, I just feel like the battles dont feel very engaging...

It feels like to me that all melee troops are the same, doesnt feel like swords counter pikes, or troop skills do anything at all. feels very cut and dry.
    For me the horses do not listen, like their pathing is just the absolutely worst thing ive ever seen, they can have a clear shot at some archers, but will run off to the side into some pikes... idk wtf thats about, and the battles always seem to play out the exact same... Break their front lines, spend the next 15min chasing down archers on skirmish mode, and chasing down troops that wavered and broke, ran half way across the map, then came back only to be attacked and break again... over and over.

Is this just a MED2 issue, or is this a mod issue? ( I have not played much vanilla of this game, maybe 20min or so) so im confused if im missing something here, or if there is a way to make this MOD and combat system in MED2 more engaging?

Thanks for any insight or reply.

Default Re: Battles boring - unit/AI question

Quote Originally Posted by Havie View Post
    So i was absolutely loving this mod, the campaign portion of it is pretty great.

The problem for me was after getting used to the battle system , no slow mo button, UI etc, I just feel like the battles dont feel very engaging...

It feels like to me that all melee troops are the same, doesnt feel like swords counter pikes, or troop skills do anything at all. feels very cut and dry.
    For me the horses do not listen, like their pathing is just the absolutely worst thing ive ever seen, they can have a clear shot at some archers, but will run off to the side into some pikes... idk wtf thats about, and the battles always seem to play out the exact same... Break their front lines, spend the next 15min chasing down archers on skirmish mode, and chasing down troops that wavered and broke, ran half way across the map, then came back only to be attacked and break again... over and over.

Is this just a MED2 issue, or is this a mod issue? ( I have not played much vanilla of this game, maybe 20min or so) so im confused if im missing something here, or if there is a way to make this MOD and combat system in MED2 more engaging?

Thanks for any insight or reply.
    Much of this is issues with vanilla. Such as no slow motion button and pathfinding. However in reality swordsmen didnt magically 'counter' pikes and often soldiers didnt obey orders perfectly. Routing units coming back to the fight is also very possible. If your looking for the arcade feel of newer total war games with the rock paper sisors mechanics medieval 2 most likely isnt your game. In this mod expecially their is no special way to counter pikes or heavy spears other than locking them in place from the front and charging from rear/sides with cav.

hehe, IBSXPNTS, instead there is a way to fight pikes from the front...

Everything is achieved with editing the animations and using different attributes and values for the pike units (check personally in GothicTW, you'll see the difference)...

You have to think about army composition and strategy. Battles for me are never boring, ranged units are so punishing in this mod and so vulnerable. Learn how to use cavalry, formations and terrain to your advantage and battles will get a lot more interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Exido View Post
    You have to think about army composition and strategy. Battles for me are never boring, ranged units are so punishing in this mod and so vulnerable. Learn how to use cavalry, formations and terrain to your advantage and battles will get a lot more interesting.
    agreed i personally hate losing too many troops so proper strategy is essential in each and every single battle perhaps for players who prefer a more faced paced game auto resolving smaller battles is fine but i play each and every one myself

Where is settlement names ?

Some M2TW mods are better than others when it comes to battles. Not all these issues are unfixable and some are just a matter of getting used to.