Thread: Roman Education and Military Careers

Icon5 Roman Education and Military Careers

So, I've never been much of a fan of playing as the Romans in EB or EB II, but I figured I'd give it a go.

Usually when a family member comes of age, if I'm playing as a non-Roman faction, I'll send him to my capital or wherever I have my most advanced education building ( :sparta.

If I want him to be a good general rather than an administrator, he'll only stay there until the age of twenty or so, at which time he'll be sent to the front to join the armies under the command of a more experienced general until he's got enough experience and he's ready to command on his own.

While playing as Rome, however, I've noticed that my generals need some military experience (turns outside of a city) if they want to attain high political office. so here are the questions -

• What's the best compromise? How long should I keep my young generals in school, and at which point should I have them leave the city and go forth in service of the state?
    • Do they need to be Leading troops, or be part of an army with units other than generals' bodyguards?
    • Finally, does it help to have them actually participate in battles?

thanks lads
    Last edited by Aleksander the Average; July 10, 2017 at 09:30 AM.
    . .

Default Re: Roman Education and Military Careers

I don't know how long you should leave them in a city to get an education but you should put them in an army with a consul or praetor. Use them as a cavalry unit. they should not lead an army if you want to roleplay, only characters with imperium should lead armies, and imperium comes from praetor or consul rank.

Personally I leave them in a city to get an "education" for 2 years, then put them in an army led by general with imperium. I don't mind if the 2 years "education" isn't long enough to make them thoroughly intelligent and cultured. They're Romans... they don't have to be intelligent and cultured. They just have to be politically brutal, practical, no-nonsense type of people willing to ruthlessly genocide their enemies out of existence so they can write the history books.
    Last edited by I_Damian; July 10, 2017 at 02:35 PM.

are 2 full years of education enough to prevent getting the "unschooled" trait?
    i took one of my generals out of school at age 18 (not sure how many turns into his 19th year exactly) to start fighting and he ended up with that -1 influence pentalty, which was a bad move considering he's a pleb, and already has a bit of an uphill battle to face when it comes to influence points.
    . .

Quote Originally Posted by Aleksander the Average View Post
    are 2 full years of education enough to prevent getting the "unschooled" trait?
    i took one of my generals out of school at age 18 (not sure how many turns into his 19th year exactly) to start fighting and he ended up with that -1 influence pentalty, which was a bad move considering he's a pleb, and already has a bit of an uphill battle to face when it comes to influence points.
    Heh, in the past I've had male family members come of age with the "unschooled" trait. I've had them get it whilst in a settlement being schooled. I don't pay too much attention to it.

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...e-to-Academies

This was for 2.0 - but iirc the mechanics havent changed that much so its still a good guideline