Thread: new varangian

Default new varangian

I did not like the varangian and the problem with the axe which overlapped his heas so I made a new varangian, trying though to not distance it from the original Chivalry flavour.

UI cards will follow

tomySVK's Avatar Campidoctor

Default Re: new varangian

Interesting, can you post screenshot of new Varangians?

I decided to add a blonde beard and I changed the animation of the axeman. I will probably add the bird of Odin in the future, though many Chivalry TW models need new sprites. A great work to be done.

Thanks, I would like to return to this mod - I always return to my favorite mods

Also I downloaded your new Varangian. Also it will be great to redone and rename the Noumeroi to the Vestiaritai. Maybe even some other changes to the Komnenian military. I should install CHTW soon.

Very nice!

I have created also a new Templar knight to match the era, wearing a nasal helmet as I was based on a contemporary 12th century illustration (though there was no horse barding)

A Vardariot Unit for the Byzantines (essentially a policing guard unit, though I suppose that it started as an elite crack military unit)

And I created new Norman Knight skins for the English

and for the French
    Last edited by Leon Katakalon; September 21, 2019 at 04:40 PM.

Essentialy I believe that Chivalry TW needs some overworking adding new units and some features, such as Orthodox and Catholic religion instead of a unified Christian one. Probably it would not be bad to add a new campaign and send the timeframe back to 900s or early 1000s in order to relive the Byzantino-Bulgaric Wars or the expansion of the Magyars, or the true Viking Age on a European map. Units could be picked from mods such Rus TW, Viking TW and Chivalry of course.
    Last edited by Leon Katakalon; September 21, 2019 at 04:34 PM.

That is some great looking units! Very good job!

I like your ideas, I will follow it with great interest!

Amazing stuff

Vardariotai were originally a military unit of horse archers in my opinion and, at the latest during the latter part of the reign of Emperor Manuel I Komnenos (r. 1143–1180), they were formed into a distinct palace guard regiment. Later they were used to policing. Somewhere I read, that they were the archers mentioned with Varangian guard during the battle of Dyrrhachium. I can´t remember where I read it (maybe I´m wrong).

I agree that ChiwTW needs update, but personally I will focus on the 12th and 13th century.

I believe there is a paucity of mods from Justinianic timeframe (I am creating a submod of IBFD currently starting in 533 AD) all the way to the Crusader Era. For example we don't have any mods representing the Justinianic and Heraclian timeframe in order to depict the colossal Romano-Sassanid struggles, or the Arab expansion. Another hole is the Age of Charlemagne, a Viking RTW mods on a european map which would depict the Franks, Lombards and the expansion of nomadic tribes such as Magyars, Bulgars and Khazars. The 500 - 1100 era is really empty despite the fact that we could use the maps from IBFD, RS3 or EB and the units from IB mods, Viking TW Chivalry and so on. The problem regarding Crusade's era mods are also the few faction slots, only 20. I believe for example that Late Medieval RTW mods could and should be local, using the maps of mods such as Hegemonia or The Great Conflicts (since MTW2 maps are absolutely transferable to RTW).

DaVinci's Avatar TW Modder 2005-2016
    Patrician Artifex

The plastic poisoned and d(r)ying surface of planet Earth in before Armageddon

@ Leon Katakalon

Interesting thread.

As for "ChivTW update", you know we, the ChivTW devs, aren't active anymore with this mod.

Since ChivTW is given free for all submodding by me, when using the ChivTW submod forum (see "sub-forums"), feel free to overhauling and in whatever direction!

In case this will be realised some day, you could join the ChivTW dev group and then i can give moderation rights for creating and administrating an extra subforum within the ChivTW hosted forum.

Note, i frequent here mere rarely. So bear with me, when replies/reactions come with delay.

Or alternatively, make your own hosted forum outside. You have permission to use ChivTW material with this post.
    Just give credit where it is due.
    Last edited by DaVinci; April 06, 2020 at 11:34 AM.
    #Anthropocene #not just Global Warming but Global Disaster, NASA #Deforestation #Plastic Emission #The Blob #Uninhabitable Earth #Savest Place On Earth #AMOC #ICAN #MIT study "Falsehoods Win" #Engineers of Chaos
    #"there can be no doubt about it: the enemy stands on the Right!" 1922, by Joseph Wirth.
    Rightwingers, like in the past the epitome of incompetence, except for evilness where they own the mastership.
    Iirc., already 2013 i spoke of "Renaissance of Fascism", it was accurate.
    #"Humanity is in ‘final exam’ as to whether or not it qualifies for continuance in universe." Buckminster Fuller
    Any chance for this exam? Very low, the established Anthropocentrism destroys the basis of existence.
    #My Modding #The Witcher 3: Lore Friendly Tweaks (LFT)
    #End, A diary of the Third World War (A.-A. Guha, 1983) - now, it started on 24th February 2022.

You will be interested in The Great Conflicts, its in open beta on TWC right now and its very detailed.