Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: New game class announced: Total War Saga

Welsh Dragon's Avatar Content Staff

Default Re: New game class announced: Total War Saga

Quote Originally Posted by Lin Huichi View Post
    If the Saga titles are going to be full sized campaigns, how big is the main title going to be?
    I'd say also full sized. My reading of it is:

Saga: Full sized campaign using existing engine iteration focused on a tighter area/timescale

Next Major Historical: Full sized campaign using new engine/new engine iteration, focused on a broader area and timescale/era.

The major difference isn't the size in gameplay terms of the map, but the size in real world terms of the area covered, the amount of real world time covered, and what's being used "under the hood" as it were.

At least that's my understanding anyway.

All the Best,

Welsh Dragon.

I must say, what Welsh Dragon said above is exactly what I understand from CAs Statements about Saga and next Major Historical title.

Yep, that was my understanding too.

Though what we don't know at this stage is whether they're planning the release the next major historical over a number of instalments in the way that Warhammer has been rolled out as a trilogy. I'm all for that approach, personally.

LestaT's Avatar Artifex

Major historical will be games soanning eras as it is now while Saga games will be about a single era where each turn maybe take weeks or months. Could be 24 turns per year type of games.

This brings me to part how tech going to work. I hope any new tech learn will be based on events rather than simply clicking and choosing what to tech up.

I would love to see tech as some sort reforms base on certain condition or event rather than some sort ofthe age of experiments.

Quote Originally Posted by LestaT View Post
    Major historical will be games soanning eras as it is now while Saga games will be about a single era where each turn maybe take weeks or months. Could be 24 turns per year type of games.

This brings me to part how tech going to work. I hope any new tech learn will be based on events rather than simply clicking and choosing what to tech up.

I would love to see tech as some sort reforms base on certain condition or event rather than some sort ofthe age of experiments.
    Couldn't agree more. I have to admit, when I saw how basic and linear tech development was in Warhammer, I facepalmed pretty hard. Not just because it's a weak point in that game, but also because of the possibility this was a very simple system that might run over into the next historical.

There's so much they could do with tech. I thought the system of gentlemen being positioned in schools and universities was a nicely thought-out system, even if it didn't add a great deal of fun decision-making to that side of the game. At least it communicated that idea that there were highly influential minds during the age of Enlightenment who had a large personal impact.

Most of all, as you say Lesta, it would be interesting for tech developments to be contingent on a wide number of factors - characters (faction leader and agents), events (military and civilian), structures in settlements and government type. We have that to a very limited extent with recent games in that you there are a ton of micro-bonuses that apply to various things here and there, giving +10% research rate etc...

But there's not the impression currently that you can influence your faction into developing in a unique direction at the cost of opening up some other branch of technology, with a meaningful opportunity cost of pursuing one route over the others. That is what's most needed in the new game.

One suggestion often put forward is to introduce an element of RNG in order to simulate that "eureka" moment of a scientific breakthrough. I'd love to see that personally, where all the contingent factors outlined above work to increase the percentage chance of a tech being discovered each turn, though without knowing exactly when it will happen.

Also, instead of a linear tech tree, why not try out the tech web/ tech wheel, which work very well in the Endless games by Amplitude, for example.

Anyway, sorry for wandering OT, but tech is one area I'm hope is being given a lot of love by the campaign devs at the moment.

LestaT's Avatar Artifex

Yeah. Now that the first historical DLC will be for Rome 2 (according to Steamdb) I hope that tech will be something more meaningful.

In any case, the Saga games are a different thing altogether so I hope the games will not be too similar to the traditional historical games and DLCs (mini campaigns).

Quote Originally Posted by LestaT View Post
    Yeah. Now that the first historical DLC will be for Rome 2 (according to Steamdb) I hope that tech will be something more meaningful.

In any case, the Saga games are a different thing altogether so I hope the games will not be too similar to the traditional historical games and DLCs (mini campaigns).
    Technology, like pretty much every other campaign mechanic in that awful game, was a joke in Rome II - even after Hellbent's excellent Traits Talents and Toadies overhaul mod, which put a dazzling shine on that mouldering turd

For the saga games, I'm expecting/hoping for something like a more fleshed-out Age of Charlemagne, but within a more condensed geography and timeframe. Hopefully this will bring a more detailed historical focus on events that unfolded in reality, such as The Last Roman came pretty close to.

I hope it will be Marius vs Sulla or the Roman unification of Italy.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123