Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How to Play DarthMod Empire on Mac

Default Re: How to Play DarthMod Empire on Mac

My game keeps crashing after writing everything in the advanced settings

Aexodus's Avatar Persuasion>Coercion
    Blog Entries

Copy paste the entire thing and take a fine comb through it for mistakes. Or send it in here and I’ll look
    Patronised by Pontifex Maximus
    Quote Originally Posted by Himster View Post
    The trick is to never be honest. That's what this social phenomenon is engineering: publicly conform, or else.

Hey there,

I'm trying to install Darthmod on an Mac, but I'm using Steam. The install location seems to be different. I have two folders in the ~/steamapps/common/Empire Total War folder, namely Empire: Total War.app and the folder EmpireData.

In the former there is a folder Contents/Resources, but in this folder is no such data (lowercase d) folder. In the latter there is the data (lowercase d) folder, which I guess should be used for the installation location of DME and the patch right? Am I selecting the right installation location?

Next, I am confused with the next steps. Firstly, I open the DME Platinum.exe with Wine in my EmpireData/data/data/DME folder. I select some settings (just changing it to 4 turns per year) and hit start. I have to click a bunch of notifications saying file not found, just as you described. (I keep the DME launcher running).

Now comes the confusing part. The following step should be to open the ETW app and do some stuff in the Advanced Options right? If I open the ETW app on my desktop it just runs the vanilla ETW game. I'm not able to get a sort of launcher were I can adjust the advanced settings. Is this because I am using Steam?

Hope you read this soon, thanks in advance!

Blog Entries

I’ve zero experience modding on steam except for M2TW on my laptop (Windows).

But, it looks like you’re gonna be only modding EmpireData, which contains the proper (lowercase d) data.

This means your install location for DME should be EmpireData, not data.

Because we’re on Mac, the launcher doesn’t select all of the .pack files we need. This is because MacOS can’t run .bat files, which are like virtual signposts telling the launcher which .pack files to choose.

For your next steps please follow the instructions as written and also take my example as what .pack files you should have to at least get it working before you start mixing and matching for your ideal build. Some .packs will be missing as you have to move them manually. I prefer to move them, not copy them, and just have a backup folder with all the pack files somewhere.

Instead if advanced options steam has ‘launch options’. Right click on the game, select properties and select launch options. There should be a command line to write the instructions in there. I can’t help you on the syntax here for the text as I’ve no experience modding Empire on steam, aside from follow my instructions.
    The trick is to never be honest. That's what this social phenomenon is engineering: publicly conform, or else.

Quote Originally Posted by Aexodus View Post
    3. Open the 8.0 platinum .exe and select the first option: 'run directly in...' This should open an install wizard. First you should back up your vanilla ETW game. I just copy-pasted it within my applications and named the new one 'DarthMod Empire' When selecting the directory to install into on the wizard, select mycomputer>z>applications>DarthMod Empire.app>contents>resources>Data. 'Data' contains a folder called called 'data' with a lowercase 'd'. This is the file that the installer will do most of the work on. Do the same for the patch.

For some reason the exe file won't open with Wine 1.8.6 on a MacBook Air (13-inch, Early 2015) running OSX 10.15.4.
    Does anyone have anything they can do to help? Thanks <3

Blog Entries

Hi Coopdawg. Are you certain it is Wine you are opening the exe with? Do you select 'run directly in'?

What exactly happens when you try to open the installer? It may have corrupted when you downloaded it, and might need downloaded again.

I have found that wine often takes a long time to 'boot up', it might just be taking a long time to start.

Yeah, Wine opens and gives me the option to 'run directly in' but then I do that and nothing happens. It's worked on other files I've open on my computer before, but when I try and open this file just nothing happens...

I have re-downloaded the file 2 other times - because I thought it may had been a corrupted file thing, but that didn't seem to work

Blog Entries

That’s very strange. What other exes have you been able to open with wine?

It’s been 3 years since I last installed Darthmod, is it a two part download you have, and you don’t have both parts in the same directory (eg. Both on the desktop).

Are you doing this on the administrator account?

I’m gonna message jimmy_dude, he play Rome Total War on Mac but he knows how to use wine.

Blog Entries

I have the single part download - should I be using the two part one?

Blog Entries

Either one should work.

Perhaps try the two part download. That’s the one I have always used. I have never installed the one part installer.

Has anyone managed to get this working for Mac on steam?
    The instructions are extremely unclear and seem to be outdated for Steam users.
    Thanks

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123