Thread: Feedback, Advice & Questions

Commissar Caligula_'s Avatar The Ecstasy of Potatoes

Default Feedback, Advice & Questions

If any of you have any questions on the course material, or want some feedback/advice from me on how you're going then this is the place to ask.

Use this thread for all of the episodes, merely state which episode number you're asking for.
    Code:
    [b]Episode Number: [/b]
    I'll keep this opening post updated with a list of all the good questions, so that if this thread goes for a few pages it will be easy for you to find the information you need.

Default Re: Feedback, Advice & Questions

I've explained how balancing works fairly terribly in the tutorial. Mostly because I can't really explain it, because I'm not 100% on it.
    So if you've got any questions, feel free to ask. I'll try to explain it, all of the tables I mention are in data.pack - db...

Morale
    Governs how resistant a unit is to stuff such as losing x amount of men in y amount of time, losing the general and all other types of things. All the in-depth stuff can be tweaked in kv_morale_table. So a high morale unit may not rout even when 80% of the unit has died, whereas a low morale unit may rout at 40% casualties.
    You can also tweak how many times a unit can rout and recover before it absolutely shatters beyond return.

Melee Attack

This governs the chance a unit has of hitting an enemy. I don't know whether it's a dice roll, a percentages game or what. The base melee attack, can be tweaked in kv_rules_table. Eg you can make it so even the worst unit has a minimum 40% chance of landing a blow, and even the best unit has a maximum 80% chance.

Melee Defence
    This governs the chance a unit has of blocking/evading an enemy's attack. I don't know whether it's a dice roll, a percentages game or what.

Weapon
    You can choose the damage whether it does armour piercing (I believe armour piercing damage bypasses armour, and affects health directly). You can also decide how much damage a weapon does again gates, how far it can reach (eg pikes have 5x longer reach) and more.
    I believe the difference between Armour Piercing and Armour Penetrating damage is that you can make Armour Piercing do more damage than Armour Penetrating by tweaking kv_rules. I'm not entirely sure though.

Shield

A shield gives you extra armour, and you can even give you extra melee defence.

Armour
    Armour makes a unit last longer in a fight, and protects the unit from arrows and melee attacks.

Health
    This makes a unit last longer, but I don't think 50 health is as good as 50 armour. You may want to test it.

Speed
    Governed by battle_entities_tables, same with Health. Also the entry "mass" in battle_entities has to do with the impact a unit has on a charge.

So I wouldn't recommend playing around with the kv_ tables for this course, they're way too complicated and annoying. Everything else here should be involved in the balancing (although you can neglect certain parts, eg I don't have shields in my balancing, and most of my units use vanilla speed).

Default Re: Feedback, Advice & Questions

I've been asked a few questions, here's the answers if anyone else was wondering.

Is the animation input in land_units_table important?
    Yes, it is important. It covers what type of animations your unit does. For example, if you have a spear unit you want to decide whether it should be a Two Handed Spear Unit, or a Spear and Shield unit. You would then apply the correct animation to that unit, to ensure it functions properly.

Why do animations have "precursor" in their name, and what does that mean?
    Precursor refers to the way that a unit throws their missile unit. For example, in Rome 2 the Roman Legionarys throw their javelin during their charge animation, when they're about 10 to 20 metres away from their enemy. This is due to precursor animations.
    If you want the unit to be a javelin skirmisher, you would give them normal javelin animations, and they can throw the javelin at any time they are in range of the enemy rather than only during the charge animation.

What if I don't want a unit to throw javelins, or be mounted on a horse but the animation says they must be?
    In Attila, Creative Assembly decided to merge animations. For example, rome_man_sword_shield_javelin_horse animations have all of the javelin and horse animations built in, but they are not actually used if you DON'T give them a mount, ammo or a missile weapon.

What does the cdir_military_generator_unit_qualities table do?
    I'm honestly not sure haha. It is either related to campaign auto-resolve strenght, or it affects the likelihood of the computer giving you that unit when it automatically fills your roster, or the AI's roster in custom battles.
    I would more lean towards the second option. I generally just give all units the same number, or just put their unit cost in there.
    If you have more than 50 units in a faction, I believe you have to you have to give all of your units a quality value of 0 to prevent your game crashing.