Thread: What game engine could support a mod of this grandeur!?

Raiuga's Avatar Civis

Default What game engine could support a mod of this grandeur!?

The title says all. Note, this is not a suggestion to the EB team to move this mod to another game engine. More a curiosity, not a discussion for a future EB III

What game engine could be used and modified to achieve the same intent of EB II? Factions, units, battles, features etc.

Are only TW games an option? Do you know of any other game that could be modded in such way?

EB is the only mod I played in the TW universe, and I don't really know the overall scene so I ask you expertise

I remember playing Knights of Honor and thinking if it could be modded in such a way...I really liked the real time campaign map movement.

Thanks.

QuintusSertorius's Avatar EBII Hod Carrier
    Artifex

Default Re: What game engine could support a mod of this grandeur!?

None of the later TW titles, that's for sure. They've made them less mod-able, so you'd have to go to something completely different, or indeed entirely tailored.

maybe the campaign part of EB could be done with a paradox engine, but the battle part is obviously hard todo without TW.

EB2 Campaign + DEI for R2TW Battles , or even M&B Warband Rome At War Mod Battles , we can only dream .

delra's Avatar Praepositus

I think the next stop should be either M&B2 (though that'd be quite a change in the mod) or one of Paradox games, for example Crusader Kings 2. Depending on the amount of people able to do models and animations on the team, as opposed to the amount of people who are setting the game up as a grand strategy game.

Brihentin13's Avatar Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by rovert View Post
    EB2 Campaign + DEI for R2TW Battles , or even M&B Warband Rome At War Mod Battles , we can only dream .
    I really wish they would flesh out the single player for Rome at War. I get that some people are really into the multiplayer stuff, but M and B is way more fun to me in single player. I like working my way up a faction before rebelling and seizing power for myself. Rome at War is the only mod that even comes close to being a "EB for Mount and Blade" game, but all the pretty, historically accurate troops in the world don't mean a thing when the entire friggin map is empty. I would LOVE to see someone take EB and put it into Mount and Blade format. Sure, the upgrade trees would be a little weird and ahistorical(i.e. Gallic peasants suddenly becoming rich and getting expensive equipment because they got experience) but damn, it would be fun.

Free Kekistan

Quote Originally Posted by Raiuga View Post
    What game engine could be used and modified to achieve the same intent of EB II? Factions, units, battles, features etc.

Are only TW games an option? Do you know of any other game that could be modded in such way?
    I'm not really sure if this is what you're asking, but allow me to plug one of my favorite mods anyway.

Rhyse and Fall: Dawn of Civilization is a mod for Civilization 4. Civ 4 has solid gameplay but by design relies on random games and factions that don't play toooo differently from each other. Dawn of Civilization makes the game into an alternative history simulator: civilizations are visually different, play different, are featured on an accurate Earth map, spawn when the civilization appeared in history, and have to manage internal stability or risk civil war, successions, and collapse.

Much like EBII, it dramatically transforms the base game and has a heavy historical focus to it. Of course, Civilization is very different from the Total War games, but if any of you have Civ4 there's a good chance you'll like the DoC mod.

I could live without EB real time battles (which I adore) but something like grand campaign map with Italy made of 15 or something provinces and senate/tribal council simulation along with much more complex diplomacy would work most fine. Europa Universalis Rome comes to mind but game looks somewhat sterile and lacking of colours to me and I dont really enjoy leading armies made of '1000 light cavalry, 5000 heavy infantry'. It would be awesome to keep unit icons along with unit descriptions.

Matrix Games perhaps?
    изишо је тад домаћин тмури
    и сву штенад потрпо у џак.

Quote Originally Posted by Brihentin13 View Post
    I really wish they would flesh out the single player for Rome at War. I get that some people are really into the multiplayer stuff, but M and B is way more fun to me in single player. I like working my way up a faction before rebelling and seizing power for myself. Rome at War is the only mod that even comes close to being a "EB for Mount and Blade" game, but all the pretty, historically accurate troops in the world don't mean a thing when the entire friggin map is empty. I would LOVE to see someone take EB and put it into Mount and Blade format. Sure, the upgrade trees would be a little weird and ahistorical(i.e. Gallic peasants suddenly becoming rich and getting expensive equipment because they got experience) but damn, it would be fun.
    I think the closest thing to a M&B EB is probably Hegemony 268 BC. Unfortunately it's completely dead, with the latest release being a beta in 2008. It could have been amazing if it had been finished. :'( Also, it's for the original M&B and not Warband.

Raiuga's Avatar Civis

A M&B "EB" mod would be a nice experience, but a totally different one...Using the Crusader Kings engine also good, but I sure would miss the battle mechanics.

It's a piety newer TW game engines are more difficult to mod, at least to the extent of this mod objectives. I heard a rumor that "maybe", they are going to revisit Alexander Era and that would be nice.

Ohhh well

Quote Originally Posted by QuintusSertorius View Post
    None of the later TW titles, that's for sure. They've made them less mod-able, so you'd have to go to something completely different, or indeed entirely tailored.
    I doubt I'd play it if it were made on later titles (Empire or after).

Shogun 2 managed to do melee combat alright, but the rest of the later TW games... melee and cavalry combat looks weird. In Rome 1 and Medieval 2 I can spend 75% of a battle zooming right in to my troops fighting and enjoying the carnage. In everything after (and including) Empire (except Shogun 2) I spend literally the entire battle zoomed as far out as possible, battle graphics on minimal because I just don't need to see the troops.

And it's because the melee combat looks CRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAP.

And let's not forget that the latest title's campaign map is almost unmoddable, can't add new settlements, etc. ...and that ''fps consuming'' FOG is basically CA overlipsticking themselves.

I wouldn't count out the newer TW games just yet. The upcoming campaign for the 1212 AD mod for Attila looks fantastic, and seems to completely redesign the game in a nicely historical way. Similarly, DeI for Rome 2, I would argue, does about as good a job as one can do in the Rome 2 engine of making a historically plausible experience. If you haven't checked out DeI since the 1.2 update, you really should. Not only are the population and supply systems working beautifully, but the overhauls of Hellenic factions are amazing and very detailed.

Edit: wrong words
    Last edited by ThatWhichThinks; July 10, 2017 at 09:43 PM.

Its definitely been a long time for an update for Rome At War , but single handily shiving 200 backs in 1 battle with with a Masterwork Gladius Hispaniensis or Axing 200 heads in a town siege with the Two handed Axe is an experience I think everyone can use . I really hope they do finish the map with some more factions.

I play EBII battles only with the General camera activated...kind of the same thing and much more challenging.