Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: (Sub-Submod) The Winds of Winter for Game of Thrones: Total War

Clint Eastwood's Avatar Civis

Default Re: (Sub-Submod) The Winds of Winter for Game of Thrones: Total War

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Hierarch View Post
    I've downloaded the mod, popped it in the mods folder, changed it to Americas and tried to open it - and I get the America screen for a split second before it crashes.

Dunno what I'm doing wrong.

Other mods worked fine.
    Hmm. You made sure to unpack the .zip file, not the .rar, right? You re-named the original americas to something else? If you're certain you've done everything right, maybe try a different Kingdoms campaign.

blue1924's Avatar Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Nygren View Post
    Oberyn - probably an oversight - but let's be real, he is the only bad-ass character in the show from House Martell, as they destroyed the House with the killing of Doran Martell before he could do anything interesting.

Quentyn Martell - Well, he isn't dead in the show by this time - and i don't like that part of the TV-show anyway.

It's based on the show mostly - but with some exceptions. And i think Clint took some liberties with it as well.
    First, Quentyn doesn't exist in the show and neither does Arianne, Trystane is the only child of Doran Martell. So neither Quentyn nor Arianne should exist in this mod.

Also, Oberyn should be dead, like hes dead.

This is one of the drawbacks of making a mod based on the show. The show doesn't give a flying poop about Dorne, so they have taken away most of what is good about Dorne in the books. But, if you are making a mod about the show at this time, Dorne should stink, because Dorne stinks in the show at this time.

Jadli's Avatar The Fallen God
    Gaming Emeritus

Based on the tv show?
    Then you should probably add another faction, House Karstark, controlling significant part of The North, as their soldiers only were half of the northern army led by Robb, so they are pretty powerful. Most of Riverlands should be probably removed, as House Tully during The War of The Five was able to provide only few hundreds men. Baelish should be given a trait/ancillary increasing his movement points at least 5 times. You should add a canal in The North, connecting the western sea to The Narrow Sea, so "Yara"can sail to Dreadfort. Actually, you should probably remake all of the map, based on the info from the show etc

Just joking Great job here
    Last edited by Jadli; June 20, 2017 at 08:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by blue1924 View Post
    First, Quentyn doesn't exist in the show and neither does Arianne, Trystane is the only child of Doran Martell. So neither Quentyn nor Arianne should exist in this mod.

This is one of the drawbacks of making a mod based on the show. The show doesn't give a flying poop about Dorne, so they have taken away most of what is good about Dorne in the books. But, if you are making a mod about the show at this time, Dorne should stink, because Dorne stinks in the show at this time.
    Uh...I don't think I can say I understand your logic. Why would I intentionally make something worse? Even if it is underdeveloped in the show, so what? I shouldn't fix the mistakes of the screenwriters? It still has the show's style and many of its elements, but with several changes to craft it how I wanted. As for Oberyn, as I've said before, I left him in because he was the best Martell character. It's like adding Jon Snow, so that Stannis could have a good Northern character to rule Winterfell. I kept Oberyn so that there would at least be one good Dornish character. It simply makes no sense to follow something exactly as it's done or written, if the way something is done is flawed. That's why changes are made.

Quote Originally Posted by Jadli View Post
    Based on the tv show?
    Then you should probably add another faction, House Karstark, controlling significant part of The North, as their soldiers only were half of the northern army led by Robb, so they are pretty powerful. Most of Riverlands should be probably removed, as House Tully during The War of The Five was able to provide only few hundreds men. Baelish should be given a trait/ancillary increasing his movement points at least 5 times. You should add a canal in The North, connecting the western sea to The Narrow Sea, so "Yara"can sail to Dreadfort. Actually, you should probably remake all of the map, based on the info from the show etc

Just joking Great job here
    Ha! Thanks for this comment (and rep). In fact, though, you are right about a couple of things. Which is why it's likely that in future versions we actually will be moving to a new map, one currently in development by SoulGamesInc. Though I'm not in charge of that, so I can't say I'm entirely sure. But, yeah, some of the things in the show were a bit ridiculous (like Baelish basically teleporting everywhere).

blue1924's Avatar Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by Clint Eastwood View Post
    Uh...I don't think I can say I understand your logic. Why would I intentionally make something worse? Even if it is underdeveloped in the show, so what? I shouldn't fix the mistakes of the screenwriters? It still has the show's style and many of its elements, but with several changes to craft it how I wanted. As for Oberyn, as I've said before, I left him in because he was the best Martell character. It's like adding Jon Snow, so that Stannis could have a good Northern character to rule Winterfell. I kept Oberyn so that there would at least be one good Dornish character. It simply makes no sense to follow something exactly as it's done or written, if the way something is done is flawed. That's why changes are made.
    Sorry if that came off as in insult, I really didn't mean it that way. You have done some really good work on this mod!

I guess it is just a personal preference of mine that I would have done things differently, but I do not have the patience to do any modding anymore

Sorry if that came off as in insult, I really didn't mean it that way. You have done some really good work on this mod!

I guess it is just a personal preference of mine that I would have done things differently, but I do not have the patience to do any modding anymore
    That's okay. I appreciate all feedback, I'm just trying to make sure I establish my reasoning behind certain changes.

Mr_Nygren's Avatar Berserkir

Quentyn in this mod uses the portrait of the Dorne Prince in the show..

Just like Edric Storm wasn't in the show - but is in the mod, and is using the portrait of the smith-Baratheon from the show. I think his name was Gendry.

As i wrote - we take liberties such as taking some parts from the show (units or good bits of the story) and some from the books (other good story bits).

Also, in this particular sub-submod by Clint he took liberties also.

So no, i don't agree with you that because the units are based on the show and some other things - that Dorne must suck..
    Be your friend's, true friend. Return gift for gift. Repay laughter, with laughter again
    but betrayal with treachery.

- The Havamal

Here is the link to my MODDB article:

http://www.moddb.com/mods/game-of-th...ubmod-released

Video has now been added.

Game of Thrones: Total War: The Winds of Winter sub-submod: House Manderly VS House Frey!:

Be your friend's, true friend. Return gift for gift. Repay laughter, with laughter again

- The Havamal

Just to give my two cents since everyone else seems to be, it's clear the goal here was never to be 'accurate' and although that isn't personally my cup of tea, there isn't anything wrong with that; to each his own after all. We've had alternative history mods before. My main dislike here is characters that are outright dead in both the books and show still being alive... I personally feel it's distracting and would rather play the original Winds of Winter.

Again, that's my preference. It's nice to see new content out for the community regardless so don't mistake take my distaste as disapproval. More content the better as far as I'm concerned.

Quote Originally Posted by Jadli View Post
    You should add a canal in The North, connecting the western sea to The Narrow Sea, so "Yara"can sail to Dreadfort. Actually, you should probably remake all of the map
    A Map of D&D? I could do that. Give all the generals 100x the MP too so they can teleport across the world... yes... the plan is coming together. *evil laugh*

Quote Originally Posted by SoulGamesInc View Post
    Just to give my two cents since everyone else seems to be, it's clear the goal here was never to be 'accurate' and although that isn't personally my cup of tea, there isn't anything wrong with that; to each his own after all. We've had alternative history mods before. My main dislike here is characters that are outright dead in both the books and show still being alive... I personally feel it's distracting and would rather play the original Winds of Winter.

Again, that's my preference. It's nice to see new content out for the community regardless so don't mistake take my distaste as disapproval. More content the better as far as I'm concerned.

A Map of D&D? I could do that. Give all the generals 100x the MP too so they can teleport across the world... yes... the plan is coming together. *evil laugh*
    Personally i think it could be a carbon copy of WoW by Korpskog but with different units. I was going to replace the dead family members directly with those from Korpskog's mod - but changed my mind.

If Clint agrees we could do it for the next release.

- The Havamal

Quote Originally Posted by SoulGamesInc View Post

Yeah, I understand your dislike of that. I may remove some of the characters (like Willem Lannister) who should be dead, in the first patch, but I left a lot of them in there because I never liked the way GOT just kills off EVERY SINGLE CHARACTER. In the books, it is better about leaving at least a few people alive (like Stannis and the Blackfish), but in the show, unless you're Jon Snow, Daenerys Targaryen, Jaime Lannister, Cersei, or Petyr Baelish, you're basically doomed. So, I killed off the more important people (like Robb Stark, Joffrey, Tywin, etc.), but left in a few other minor ones. I know it's not at all accurate, I just wanted to try and lower the mortality rate in Westeros a bit. But, again, I can definitely see why you and others might not like it.

Quote Originally Posted by Clint Eastwood View Post
    Yeah, I understand your dislike of that. I may remove some of the characters (like Willem Lannister) who should be dead, in the first patch, but I left a lot of them in there because I never liked the way GOT just kills off EVERY SINGLE CHARACTER. In the books, it is better about leaving at least a few people alive (like Stannis and the Blackfish), but in the show, unless you're Jon Snow, Daenerys Targaryen, Jaime Lannister, Cersei, or Petyr Baelish, you're basically doomed. So, I killed off the more important people (like Robb Stark, Joffrey, Tywin, etc.), but left in a few other minor ones. I know it's not at all accurate, I just wanted to try and lower the mortality rate in Westeros a bit. But, again, I can definitely see why you and others might not like it.

That's what i loved about this show - that everyone could die..

However, i did not like how they killed off Stannis or Roose Bolton..

- The Havamal

That's what i loved about this show - that everyone could die..

However, i did not like how they killed off Stannis or Roose Bolton..
    I think it's best to use the show for the visuals and take the story from the books.
    Winter is Coming

Alertoverlord's Avatar Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by VltimaRatio View Post
    I think it's best to use the show for the visuals and take the story from the books.
    I couldn't agree more, is there any chance of fixing the issue in which units textures appear silver from further away?

This poor little thing is getting rather dusty.

Quote Originally Posted by VltimaRatio View Post

Couldn't agree more. Every story-arch after season four is better taken from the books.

- The Havamal

What be fun for a mod, is for the North to be divided between the Boltons, Karstarks, Umbers and Manderly's since they're regarded as the great-great houses in the North.

I wonder if an emergent "Stark faction" could emerge, or if Stark-unique units can be implemented for whoever holds Winterfell.

Oh, and I still can't get the mod to work. I downloaded the Rar. I used my Mac's Unarchiver to extract the file into my downloads.

On the steam page I open the local files, go to the mod folder, drag EnWoW to the folder, switch names with Crusades/America/Teutaoooonics/Brits, play the Kingdom mod, a screen opens, I see "Total war America/Cusades/Teutonics/Brits" then it crashes. No error code, it just closes.

What be fun for a mod, is for the North to be divided between the Boltons, Karstarks, Umbers and Manderly's since they're regarded as the great-great houses in the North.

I wonder if an emergent "Stark faction" could emerge, or if Stark-unique units can be implemented for whoever holds Winterfell.

Oh, and I still can't get the mod to work. I downloaded the Rar. I used my Mac's Unarchiver to extract the file into my downloads.

On the steam page I open the local files, go to the mod folder, drag EnWoW to the folder, switch names with Crusades/America/Teutaoooonics/Brits, play the Kingdom mod, a screen opens, I see "Total war America/Cusades/Teutonics/Brits" then it crashes. No error code, it just closes.
    It won't be done on this version of this mod.

The whole mod has to be applied to the next version of GoT for any new reelase - the positive thing is that it will have all these factions as separate factions and more already. The only thing needing to be re-done is changing the setting to WoW.

It's impossible in this version because we replaced the Stark and Tully-entries to get this mod done faster.

Also, this mod doesn't work on Mac as long as you won't remove the siege engines Rhaymo created for De Bello Mundi.

You'd need to remove the Northern and Ironborn siege engines from all the files - then it will work on a mac.

- The Havamal

It won't be done on this version of this mod.

The whole mod has to be applied to the next version of GoT for any new reelase - the positive thing is that it will have all these factions as separate factions and more already. The only thing needing to be re-done is changing the setting to WoW.

It's impossible in this version because we replaced the Stark and Tully-entries to get this mod done faster.

Also, this mod doesn't work on Mac as long as you won't remove the siege engines Rhaymo created for De Bello Mundi.

You'd need to remove the Northern and Ironborn siege engines from all the files - then it will work on a mac.
    Is this difficult to do? Thanks.

Parafix's Avatar I have this stick...
    Blog Entries

It's planned after the release of Dream of Spring and War of Conquest update

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast