Thread: Such a shame : /

Civis

Icon4 Such a shame : /

CA's lack of legitimate mod support is such a bummer. This game coupled with some of the better features in Attila and legitimate map editing would open the door for some genuinely cool mods that just can't be done with Medieval 2 and frankly shouldn't have to be. I mean Dragon age origin's and awakening could make fun campaigns. Or better yet Warcraft 2 tides of darkness etc with paladin's and mages and death knights and ogremages. Bought attila and all the dlc and was super excited when I seen this one come out and waited to see if they would finally give us a modern and truly moddable game and of course not. It's sad that I still play me2 more than Shogun 2 or Attila just because of the huge number of campaigns retail, dlc and mods. I know I'm not alone. Come tf on CA.

BMV's Avatar Civis

Default Re: Such a shame : /

If I remember correctly, the reason that CA gives for the lack of mod support is the dependency on third party software, which prevents them from openly distributing tools needed for modding.
    So as long as Total War games are based on seemingly endless era of Warscape engine, we're not getting any more mod support.
    Oh and they also stated numerous times that it is not in their interest to make games more moddable, since it takes away precious time from new content (dlc) creation.

Personally I think that the content CA releases isn't that good (in terms of polish and value for money) so they might as well take some time from content development to making game more moddable.
    And for the record I haven't played unmodded Total War game since original Rome which was the first Total War title that I tried and is still my favorite.

CA has been uneven. I wasn't around for MTW2 launch and Empire wasn't that great. Shogun 2 was good, Rome 2 was really bad, Warhammer 1 was pretty good. Mod support is pretty good except for the campaign map but battle maps, ability to add modded battle maps into the campaign, quite a few other things. Main difference from MTW2 which was the modding gold standard is the lack of ability for campaign map changes and lack of adding animations (which even for MTW2 was pretty damn rare).

Quote Originally Posted by BMV View Post
    If I remember correctly, the reason that CA gives for the lack of mod support is the dependency on third party software, which prevents them from openly distributing tools needed for modding.
    So as long as Total War games are based on seemingly endless era of Warscape engine, we're not getting any more mod support.
    Oh and they also stated numerous times that it is not in their interest to make games more moddable, since it takes away precious time from new content (dlc) creation.

Personally I think that the content CA releases isn't that good (in terms of polish and value for money) so they might as well take some time from content development to making game more moddable.
    And for the record I haven't played unmodded Total War game since original Rome which was the first Total War title that I tried and is still my favorite.
    With this particular title, there is also another major issue that interferes with modding: unlike previous TW games, Warhammer is based off of a third-party IP. Games Workshop, which owns Warhammer, is notoriously strict when it comes to protecting their IPs. From what I heard, they originally wanted a complete ban on modding, but CA managed to talk them down. Still, Games Workshop is the main reason why there are no mods for Warhammer featuring third-party content (Lord of the Rings, Elder Scrolls, etc.)

I think that was the initial stance but I heard from GW's side that their new CEO finally allowed it. I can see them being shaky on LotR mods as they probably don't want trouble with the much stricter IP owners since GW has LotR models in their production and could fear the rights being withdrawn.

Personally I think neither company wants alot of modding right now. GW for IP and CA for dlc. We'll probably see the restriction loosened at the end of game 3.

BMV's Avatar Civis

Quote Originally Posted by Baron of Hyrule View Post
    Personally I think neither company wants alot of modding right now. GW for IP and CA for dlc. We'll probably see the restriction loosened at the end of game 3.
    I sure hope so! Maybe that's why they're hinting at that they *might* develop modding tools in the future.
    Better late than never.

Senator

I for my part buy TW games only because I know they are moddable. I'm not very interested in the Warhammer theme but even here I only decided to try it after it became clear that some modding would be possible. Luckily history is not patented by some enterprise, I hope the next history game will be less restricted.

Modding should be important to CA. The best TW game on the market is R2:TW with the Divide et Impera mod, it's better than Attila (with mods), far better than Warhammer (with mods) and also a lot better than M2:TW (with mods). I never liked S2:TW, so I don't include it. Many despise Empire:TW but with mods it is really good and it has one of the most interesting settings of the serial.

Wolfsblut's Avatar Semisalis

Quote Originally Posted by geala View Post
    I for my part buy TW games only because I know they are moddable.
    Same here.

If i would have been forced to play the crap they sell since Rome 2 without Mods, i would never had bought... well, any game after Rome 2.

It is really a shame to see what potential is lost with all this restrictions.

Imagine a real remake of Third Age with the engine of Warhammer alone...
    the sad thing is not that we don't get it for free, i would pay for such a mod a full gameprice and more, the sad thing is that
    they never will be made.

But then again we should be glad that there is some modability at all.
    So at least the games are still playable as strategy after they are modded, not as the action brawlers as they get released.
    May the earth be light upon you, lest the dogs can dig you out more easy.

craziii's Avatar Protector Domesticus

with yearly game releases, full conversion mods no longer has a place. by the time a mod of the type is release, at least 2 newer total war games by ca will be out. that will kill alot of interest. the newly announce saga is exactly that. basically official, full-fledged ca mods of attila. ca wants to scratch that itch for you guys till the next major historical title, but you must support them and buy it.
    fear is helluva drug
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    “The only rule that ever made sense to me I learned from a history, not an economics, professor at Wharton. "Fear," he used to say, "fear is the most valuable commodity in the universe." That blew me away. "Turn on the TV," he'd say. "What are you seeing? People selling their products? No. People selling the fear of you having to live without their products." freakin' A, was he right. Fear of aging, fear of loneliness, fear of poverty, fear of failure. Fear is the most basic emotion we have. Fear is primal. Fear sells.” WWZ

Have you had your daily dose of fear yet? craziii
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

♘Top Hat Zebra's Avatar Praepositus
    That place you go to when the world becomes too much? I'm in the world. I'm why it's too much.

CA had a hard enough time convincing Games Workshop to even allow mods on Warhammer. Modding tools or not, we wouldn't have gotten any giant Fantasy IP total conversions, because, if I recall correctly, that was explicitly forbidden by GW.
    "Rajadharma! The Duty of Kings. Know you: Kingship is a Trust. The King is the most exalted and conscientious servant of the people."