Thread: Army upkeep is too high.

Default Army upkeep is too high.

To start off I'm on version 4.6

So in the newest version army upkeep for certain generals seems to be bugged.
    An example of this is, once I accepted the Huscus membership their generals were costing me thousands of ruppees in upkeep. Despite me putting them in buildings with free upkeep slots.
    Also if you play as the Ordonians one of the Volvagian generals overtime keeps increasing their own upkeep cost to the point where it gets to 4+ thousand rupees a turn. This being earlier than turn 5.
    And again putting the general in their own settlement was still costing me money. The free upkeep wasn't affecting them.

Default Re: Army upkeep is too high.

Quote Originally Posted by ZombieProdigy View Post
    To start off I'm on version 4.6

So in the newest version army upkeep for certain generals seems to be bugged.
    An example of this is, once I accepted the Huscus membership their generals were costing me thousands of ruppees in upkeep. Despite me putting them in buildings with free upkeep slots.
    Also if you play as the Ordonians one of the Volvagian generals overtime keeps increasing their own upkeep cost to the point where it gets to 4+ thousand rupees a turn. This being earlier than turn 5.
    And again putting the general in their own settlement was still costing me money. The free upkeep wasn't affecting them.

Free Upkeep only applies to Units designated as free upkeep units in the EDU. And I think it never applies to generals, since their costs are not actually flagged as "upkeep", although I'm not sure on this.

The upkeep of a specific general unit is dependent on its current unit size in relation to its cost and base size defined in the EDU*. Since the size of a generals body guard depends on the general's authority rating (I think) a body guard unit can grow over the course of the game and thus become more expensive in upkeep.

Example: the base size of Royal Knights is 10 and its upkeep is defined as 1000.
    Now, the general's authority value is high enough that the size of the unit will grow to 15. The upkeep will increase accordingly to 1500.

*to be more precise: the base size multiplied by the unit size setting ensuring that regradless of the unit size settings, units at the same relative strength will cost the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Rabenrecht View Post
    Free Upkeep only applies to Units designated as free upkeep units in the EDU. And I think it never applies to generals, since their costs are not actually flagged as "upkeep", although I'm not sure on this.

The upkeep of a specific general unit is dependent on its current unit size in relation to its cost and base size defined in the EDU*. Since the size of a generals body guard depends on the general's authority rating (I think) a body guard unit can grow over the course of the game and thus become more expensive in upkeep.

Example: the base size of Royal Knights is 10 and its upkeep is defined as 1000.
    Now, the general's authority value is high enough that the size of the unit will grow to 15. The upkeep will increase accordingly to 1500.

*to be more precise: the base size multiplied by the unit size setting ensuring that regradless of the unit size settings, units at the same relative strength will cost the same.

Ok, I understand why this is now. I'm posting this as a bug because I'm confused on why this wasn't happening before. I've played this mod for a while now and never had this problem. Generals would never get this out of hand. In fact, generals of say, the Deku army are just fine. Their upkeep is nice and low but, any "outside" generals will out me in dept before turn 10. Maybe it's less of a mod and more of a balancing issue, either way I'm putting it out there.
    Might repost this in the thread going on about bug/issues with the latest update.
    Thank you for your help btw.

Laetus

This must be a bug. Playing as Labyrynna and by turn six, Maku tree of labrynna has an upkeep of 3194. His bodyguard increased from 2 to 73. Despite this, when actually in a battle, he is only ever a single unit. It's a debt inducing bug.
    On the bright side, he is hella good in auto resolve, having the strength of an entire stack...

As he improves, he may get a second or third battle model. It happens, be happy if/when it does. It's a problem with Giants-it's impossible to completely eliminate growth of Bodyguard, despite all efforts.

Quote Originally Posted by Bloodly View Post
    As he improves, he may get a second or third battle model. It happens, be happy if/when it does. It's a problem with Giants-it's impossible to completely eliminate growth of Bodyguard, despite all efforts.
    Does the body guard numbers go up, depending on how well he does in battles? Like how renowned he is. or how much experience he has gained? There maybe other factors involved besides How much troops are replenished after battle.

Edit:
    For example. I've never see "Hylia" or "Sulkaris' Gohma form" Double or go up in cost. :/ But I haven't played the newest version enough to know if this is a new bug related to the newest version.
    Last edited by Eldren; June 20, 2017 at 01:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Eldren View Post
    Does the body guard numbers go up, depending on how well he does in battles? Like how renowned he is. or how much experience he has gained? There maybe other factors involved besides How much troops are replenished after battle.

Edit:
    For example. I've never see "Hylia" or "Sulkaris' Gohma form" Double or go up in cost. :/ But I haven't played the newest version enough to know if this is a new bug related to the newest version.
    The variable "personal security", which is affected by various traits and ancillaries, governs the size of general's bodyguard. There is I think hardcoded bonus for it from being heir/leader, too. But eliminating any trace of this from traits and ancillaries should prevent growth of bodyguards.

Such traits can be, at least in vanilla M2TW, gained through performance in battle.

I've never see "Hylia" or "Sulkaris' Gohma form" Double or go up in cost.

I have. Vaati and Maku Tree, too. Sometimes as enemy, sometimes as playing as them.

I have installed the newest version, 4.6 today.

I also have problem as Labyrynna about economy balance. At first turn, balance was normal, but apart from second turn, my economy was getting worse. Although I deleted all the soldiers, enonomy was decreasing. It must also be a bug.
    Last edited by serkan86; June 20, 2017 at 03:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by serkan86 View Post
    I have installed the newest version, 4.6 today.

I also have problem as Labyrynna about economy balance. At first turn, balance was normal, but apart from second turn, my economy was getting worse. Although I deleted all the soldiers, enonomy was decreasing. It must also be a bug.
    Generals also cost you money aswell
    Sign the petition to remove the hardcoded limits from M2TW
    https://www.change.org/p/creative-as...t_created=true

Laetus

DarkInterloper posted a fix for the generals for patch 4.6. It seems to make the broken generals cost 0 rupees. They are still overpowered in autoresolves but it's a decent fix.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/929y6n47jd..._unit.txt?dl=0

Yes, this fix solved my problem, too. ��

Bongo Bongo is still bugged after the fix, fix pls

When I clicked on your link to the fix. I got a 404 error, did you delete the file?

Yeah that link be ded

Can someone upload a new one?

One solution is to go into the data folder and modify unit_descr to make the upkeep 0 for the generals.

It's a pretty game breaking bug, imo, because I notice it affect AI factions as well, and it can really hamstring them and render AI factions permanently broke for the rest of the game, and thus unable to do anything.
    "He who wishes to be the best for his people, must do that which is necessary - and be willing to go to hell for it."

Let the Preservation, Advancement and Evolution of Mankind be our Greater Good.

And NO, my avatar is the coat of arms from the Teutonic Knightly Order because they're awesome.

Civis

Hello there. Many years since I played HTW. The last one I played was version 3.6

Anyway, I was also bugged that certain generals have a very high army upkeep because of a bug (I´m guessing it has something to do with a general being "elephant" unit or something like that).

I applied the solution proposed by SinerAthin and Turn. I changed the upkeep of the problematic units by 1 instead of their current one (like 75, 88, 175, etc). It is funny to see that by turn 5, some of them changes their upkeep to 19.

I tested and I saw the next units that were problematic (that have several hundreds or thousands in upkeep cost):

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

[the number is an aprox of the upkeep cost i noted in my gameplay after turn 6]
    ->king dodongo >3200
    ->biggoron >400

->The Great Deku Tree >3200

->Sulkaris >2900
    ->Matriarch >2900

->Stallord 1650
    ->Undead Onox 1650

->Demise Imp >3300
    ->Demise Hum >3300

->Bongo >3200

->Vaati >3800

->Maku_Tree_of_Labrynna >3200

->Dezaia >3200

->Gomess >3200
    ->captain keeta >3200

->Una >3200
    ->Dark Onox >3200

->Hylia >3200

->NPC Empress >2900

->NPC Maku Tree Horon >3200

Because the other file that was posted doesn´t seems to be there anymore, here is what I did to fix the upkeep cost (or rather "evade" it);

First I located the file "export_descr_unit". It is in the folder named data in the folder where the mod is installed.
    [Warning: if any of these files are modified, previous gamesaves wont work. If the file has any word, letter or symbol that it cannot recognize, the game won´t even start so be careful. I recommend to make a copy before modifying anything. ]

Here there are each unit in the game with its stats, type, attack value, defend value, cost, turns to be made, upkeep cost and many other things. Locate the unit that have the problem; I

In the line that says "stat_cost" there are some number separated by "," . the second one is the cost of building that unit and the third one is the upkeep cost. I recommend to change it to zero or one.

Example:

type Maku_Tree_of_Labrynna
    dictionary Maku_Tree_of_Labrynna ; Elephants
    category cavalry
    class heavy
    voice_type Heavy
    banner faction main_none
    banner holy Crusade
    soldier invisible, 100, 1, 1
    mounted_engine armogohma_eye
    mount maku_tree_labrynna
    mount_effect horse +4, camel +2
    attributes very_hardy, sea_faring, can_withdraw, frighten_foot, frighten_mounted, cannon, gunpowder_unit
    move_speed_mod 1.5
    formation 7, 11, 13,16, 1, square
    stat_health 20, 20
    stat_pri 50, 0, cannon_shot, 300, 12, siege_missile, artillery_gunpowder, blunt, none, 25, 1
    ;stat_pri_ex 0, 0, 0
    stat_pri_attr area, ap
    stat_sec 50, 10, no, 0, 0, melee, melee_simple, blunt, none, 25, 1
    ;stat_sec_ex 0, 0, 0
    stat_sec_attr area, launching, ap
    stat_pri_armour 63, 63, 5, leather
    ;stat_armour_ex 5, 0, 0, 0, 7, 0, 0, metal
    stat_sec_armour 63, 63, leather
    stat_heat 0
    stat_ground 1, 0, 0, -1
    stat_mental 25, disciplined, trained, lock_morale
    stat_charge_dist 25
    stat_fire_delay 0
    stat_food 60, 300
    stat_cost 1, 1000, 175, 100, 75, 1000, 1, 999999 ;175
    armour_ug_levels 0
    ownership labrynna, slave
    era 2 labrynna, slave
    info_pic_dir labrynna
    card_pic_dir labrynna
    ;unit_info 10, 16, 12

Change the number:

from this:

stat_cost 1, 1000, 175, 100, 75, 1000, 1, 999999 ;175

to this:
    stat_cost 1, 1000, 0, 100, 75, 1000, 1, 999999 ;175

Are there any other unit that have that similar problem that I have missed?

http://www.mediafire.com/file/f5zqt4...3/HTW%20fix.7z
    Here is the fix, so anyone who whats to play this will not be forced to fiddle in game files. I fixed all abovementioned titans, and also the rest of NPC titans, though i'm not sure if they are even in a game.
    export_descr_unit_no_upkeep_4.6 - makes titans upkeep 0. export_descr_unit_with_upkeep - makes "grown" titan upkeep to be around turn 1 upkeep without fix, +-10 gold (includes 4.5 version, because they cost 0 by default in it. No guarantee against unexpected lvlup bodyguard growth. ).