Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sneak Preview on 0.92

Default Sneak Preview on 0.92

Do you ever like to play with Godfrey de Bouillon and march toward the walls of Antioch?

Yes! Version 0,92 will have a revamp in the character names for about every faction, thanks also to the work already done by "The Naming Project" here at TWCenter (http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=73078)
    No more Papero Pinocchio leading your norman knights!
    Last edited by Re Berengario I; December 26, 2006 at 05:10 PM.

Default Re: Sneak Preview on 0.92

Comuni Lombardi:

yxc qwert!'s Avatar Centenarius

Hungary?
    thx
    REMOVE KEBAB FROM PREMISES

Spain:

Moors:

2 factions to go: novgorod and hungarians

Novgorod:

Hungary:

ooh, very nice, ive been wanting this sort of thing as the names were a bit pathetic,

thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Re Berengario I View Post
    Do you ever like to play with Godfrey de Bouillon...
    Very clever!
    But Godfrey is the english translation of Godefroy (de Bouillon was french), as Tancred must be Tancrède.

BTW, if you send a list of the french names you use, i will return the right spellings.

Anyway, you do a wonderfull work!

Quote Originally Posted by Resdulac View Post
    Very clever!
    But Godfrey is the english translation of Godefroy (de Bouillon was french), as Tancred must be Tancrède.
    I found a miryad versions of this and other names in academic studies:

Geoffroy, Geoffroi, Godefroi, Godefroy, Godefroid, Gieffroy, Godfroy...

but is no more Papero at least! (Papero is duck in italian... Donald Duck = Paperino).

I think the various versions are linked to dialects talked in that zone so I choosed Normandy.

About the Russian faction names.
    Shouldn't it be called the "House of Rurik"? Rurik was the Viking that was summoned to rule Novgorod in 860. Later, his successors moved south and took over Kiev from Khazars.

The Rurik house lasted for almost 7 centuries before it was replaced by Romanovs in early 1600s.

You can see the family tree of the Rurik house here:
    http://www.bucknell.edu/x20182.xml

PS: It's Vsevolod, not Ysevolod.
    Last edited by glevi; December 29, 2006 at 01:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by glevi View Post
    Shouldn't it be called the "House of Rurik"? Rurik was the Viking that was summoned to rule Novgorod in 860. Later, his successors moved south and took over Kiev from Khazars.

The Rurik house lasted for almost 7 centuries before it was replaced by Romanovs in early 1600s.
    House of Rurik or House of Kiev as in 1080 they were still a single dinasty but soon after they splitted up. I was thinking to create back a single faction maybe with some scripted events or other means to push rebellion strains on it (and fun to the player who'll have to try hard to fight all the rebellious princes who wanted their own principalities for themselves).

PS: It's Vsevolod, not Ysevolod.
    It depends how you translit the original cirillic name. Some texts use V other Y and it's just a convention as the pronunciation should be identical (for what I know).

Quote Originally Posted by Re Berengario I View Post
    House of Rurik or House of Kiev as in 1080 they were still a single dinasty but soon after they splitted up. I was thinking to create back a single faction maybe with some scripted events or other means to push rebellion strains on it (and fun to the player who'll have to try hard to fight all the rebellious princes who wanted their own principalities for themselves).

It depends how you translit the original cirillic name. Some texts use V other Y and it's just a convention as the pronunciation should be identical (for what I know).
    Well, they didn't split up until 10 years after Vladimir's death (1125). If this could be duplicated in the game that would be fantastic. Great idea.

However, I don't think I've ever heard the House of Rurik referred to as the House of Kiev. "Kievan Rus" was the name of the state, but all the Kniaz' and Velikiy Kniaz' came from Ruriks dynasty (up to Ivan the terrible, which is probably the second most popular Russian Tzar after Peter).

About Vsevolod. I'm pretty sure that the transliteration using V is the correct one and the pronounciation would be different. It would be the same as replacing V with Y in Vladimir, Victor or any other word where you need an actual "vi" sound. Y is used in "Yaroslav" and "Yegor" where you would need a "ia" or "ie" sound.

By the way, I hope you don't mind these comments. If you think they are not relevant or important let me know - I will stop.

Otherwise, I have one final question/comment. The coat of arms for the faction - what is the source? I was always under the impression that the main russian state emblem was the two-headed eagle, starting with Rurik and all the way to present times.
    You can see the picture here: http://www.rf.boom.ru/eng01.html

By the way, I hope you don't mind these comments. If you think they are not relevant or important let me know - I will stop.
    I thank you for the interest and advices

About the coat of arms they're still vanilla stuff. It's in program to change them to reflect the real dinastic coats of arms (beside that coats of arms came commonly into use just in 13^ century, before this time most are just speculations).

Problem is that when I'll change the graphical part of the game probably the mod directory and switch couldn't be used anymore and it will require a clean unpacked installation of MTW2 for make things work. So it will be probably later in time with version 2.0 as 1.0 will still leave vanilla folders untouched.

Him concerning Bouilon I would name him Godefroy. It's a nowadays rare french name. But what on heck does he do in Sicilly since he was from Flanders?
    For Tancred and Tancrède, both exist in french.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobo View Post
    Him concerning Bouilon I would name him Godefroy. It's a nowadays rare french name. But what on heck does he do in Sicilly since he was from Flanders?
    Yep, but I liked to see him together with Tancred and Bohemund

Rest assured I will put him in the right place in the release.

Er Bohémund doesn't exist, it is Bohémond as on the picture. And I think you're right since he was an important figure and coudn't be played else (or maybe as a French).

Really, don't go overcrazy with the different names as you can see them written down in many shapes and forms that is impossible to have a final word on it. In Italy he is known as Boemondo, in France Bohemond, in english is Bohemund and probably every other language or dialect have a different form because the only written documents of that era probably have him named Boemundus in latin.

Sorry it may sound like a crazy question, but is this 0.92 available yet or on it's way?
    Thanks!

Still on it's way but be sure it'll worth the waiting time (at least I hope so ).

Just to give out an example of why we're continuing playtesting, I just had a CTD because of Maximillian instead of Maximilian as a name for a hre general.

When so many changes are made the only things to do are playtesting, playtesting, playtesting and... playtesting some more.

In the while we're adding some more features though.

I will try your 0.91 version tonight and I will let you know! It really sounds great as a MOD!
    Cheers and good luck with the testing!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast