Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Medieval Kingdoms Total War: the Seljuks of Rum (and the Ottomans)

Default Re: Medieval Kingdoms Total War: the Seljuks of Rum (and the Ottomans)

Quote Originally Posted by alsarmander View Post
    http://www.atarn.org/islamic/Perform...rkish_bows.htm good resource about turkish bow performance and range record which is 930 yards
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm_pt View Post
    Idiocy. Try hitting something 850m away with a rifle first.
    930 yards by Tozkoparan was a record.

There were two types of Turkish bow - one designed for warfare/target archery and one designed for flight archery (competitions).

"Crescent shape" was designed for flight archery. In flight archery you do not shoot things, penetrating power and accuracy are irrelevant. Your aim is to shoot the greatest distance.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

"Boat shape" was designed for warfare and target archery, and its range was shorter.
    Last edited by Danishmend; July 05, 2017 at 08:38 AM.

Quality and details are really great. All units look great. Loved it

WOW! Amazing job!

Goutlard's Avatar Janissary

Great job !
    I suggest ajusting the names for coherence, since some are transcripted words from the the arabic alphabet, or language, and others are from turkish, there are also some grammatical and spelling mistakes. Still, I wasn't the only one to notice or list them, so I won't list them out just yet.

I do discover quite a lot about the Selçuk military, since I am mainly versed in the Ottoman one !
    Wind from the East's Awards :

Hrobatos's Avatar Praeses

this is stunning work!

eatme's Avatar Senator

Have to say I rarely try out new historic mods by playing for eastern factions. But this.. makes me want to start GP with Sultanate of Rum.. Awesome work.
    Agree on the note above concerning naming, e.g. multiple types of Ghulam units may need more distinctive names

Is this the final roster? Otherwise great work so far. Strong candidate for the first pick.

After further inspection I have one problem with this.
    The Billmen Janissaries not wearing armor is quite innacurate.

In this era, Janissaries would wear armor if they were in melee combat roles.
    They were soldiers trained for up to 10 years, and were too precious to send without armor to close quarters.

Even if they were the lowest ranking of janissaries, just promoted from being acemi, they would wear mail armor to the very least. They wouldn't walk into close quarters in their light, ceremonial attires !
    Last edited by Goutlard; May 31, 2018 at 01:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Goutlard View Post
    After further inspection I have one problem with this.
    The Billmen Janissaries not wearing armor is quite innacurate.

In this era, Janissaries would wear armor if they were in melee combat roles.
    They were soldiers trained for up to 10 years, and were too precious to send without armor to close quarters.

Even if they were the lowest ranking of janissaries, just promoted from being acemi, they would wear mail armor to the very least. They wouldn't walk into close quarters in their light, ceremonial attires !
    You forgot the Shields bro - i miss some Janissary Marines like this:

An usual Source which Sum ups some Events there:

https://weaponsandwarfare.com/2016/0...-the-ottomans/

I dare say, this might be the best roster for any faction in the game so far. Absolutely fantastic work!

How terrible it must be to face us; the sons of the wolf and the bear! Even now fear works in the bowels of our foes! I do not fight with a cool head today, I admit it. My eyes see only a red mist. I do not want them to run from battle, I want their heads on our pikes by evening! We go now to our bloody business!

Quote Originally Posted by Nebaki View Post
    You forgot the Shields bro - i miss some Janissary Marines like this:

(picture)

An usual Source which Sum ups some Events there:

https://weaponsandwarfare.com/2016/0...-the-ottomans/
    I just love the Janissary hat with a boat on it .
    And indeed even if there wore the kaftan, there was often mail armor concealed under it. This picture illustrates the principle well :

That is, if not in the full armor.

It is indeed sometimes very hard to properly portray soldiers, typically middle easterners from my personal experience, and show the full length of the equipment they carried. Usually, mail corselets or hauberks and even gambesons would be underneath kaftans, tatar coats or other garments. Some helmets were covered with cloth, like the classic seljuk headwear is a fur-lined hat over a skullcap, or the persian mighfars would be conical helmets covered with an outer and inner layer of cloth. Even something as commonplace as a kazaghand could be difficult to spot (if there are no visible rivets), despite being stuffed with a gambeson and 2 layers of mail.

Janissary Billmens seriously needs a rework atleast a Shield or Chainmail - it´s ridiculous being a Frontier Unit and wearing Silk but having Polearms.

Garibs and Ulufecis should be limited Units since they was a little Special but better on their Stats.

I'm in database and stats balancing agree with you that at least a shield and implied mail would be very helpful for billmen; but I don't feel well tinkering with his variants while Hessam is away.

Hello guys, it's been a while. I watched some campaign videos yesterday and here is my feedback:

- Some Seljuk characters had modern (recently popularized) names. I can provide you a list of names commonly used by Turks at that time period (1200-1500 AD).

- Some settlements in Anatolia are named in their Turkish forms (such as Kayseri and Malatya), while others are not (such as Ancyra and Iconion). Is it intended? I think Kayseri and Malatya can be replaced with their original forms.

- Instead of Ancyra, Iconion should be fortified/walled. Iconion was the capital of the sultanate and was larger than Ancyra.

Thank you for your effort.
    Last edited by Danishmend; January 06, 2019 at 06:16 PM.

@hessam

Thanks for the Chainmail Upgrade - Forget about the Shields but in addition can you give the Billmen in that Armour Level a Helmet?
    Last edited by Nebaki; January 13, 2019 at 07:22 AM.

I'm military historian and find a little wrong thing. Peyk guards in the seljuk forces must have more long pikes like europan ones. Ok I accept Muslims not used pikes like europans but ottomans used the pikes in the 16-17. century. You can see this clearly in the battle ilustrasions. On the other hand Peyk means in the ottomanic langueage Pike.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkerx View Post
    I'm military historian and find a little wrong thing.
    Proof? Since this Mod got his Alpha Campaign many wannabe military historians are appearing especially ones with their Knowledge of Ottomans Units & Armour which bases more on Some Funny Illustrations.

Peyk guards in the seljuk forces must have more long pikes like europan ones.
    They are not reflecting seljuk forces.

Peyk guards in the seljuk forces must have more long pikes like europan ones. Ok I accept Muslims not used pikes like europans but ottomans used the pikes in the 16-17. century. You can see this clearly in the battle ilustrasions. On the other hand Peyk means in the ottomanic langueage Pike.
    Ottoman "Pikes" are the Janissary Billmen which also got their Armour Piercing Bonus which gives them an Huge Bonus against other Pike & Spear Units - they are clearly superior to them.

Quote Originally Posted by Nebaki View Post
    Proof? Since this Mod got his Alpha Campaign many wannabe military historians are appearing especially ones with their Knowledge of Ottomans Units & Armour which bases more on Some Funny Illustrations.

They are not reflecting seljuk forces.

Ottoman "Pikes" are the Janissary Billmen which also got their Armour Piercing Bonus which gives them an Huge Bonus against other Pike & Spear Units - they are clearly superior to them.

I send you iformation about my education in message box. On the otherhand janissary billmen's good but their bill's not enough long for mixing usage with riflemens . Like pike and shot tactics. When we position that guys behind the riflemens their pike not protect riflemens againts cavalary.

KAM 2150's Avatar Artifex
    Patrician

Ok I accept Muslims not used pikes like europans but ottomans used the pikes in the 16-17. century.
    This mod does not cover that time period.
    Official DeI Instagram Account! https://www.instagram.com/divideetimperamod/
    Official DeI Facebook Page! https://www.facebook.com/divideetimperamod