Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Some new news :D

Daruwind's Avatar Citizen

Default Some new news :D

Just saw new FB post from Total War + CA updated what different teams are working on:

FB post:
    If you want to know the highlights before you dive in, here's a quick teaser: the Old Friend will not be the last addition to WARHAMMER I (there's going to be a new Race Pack this year), we're working on a large Campaign Pack DLC for one of our more recent historical releases and our plans for a new stand-alone historical title have come to fruition, and this team are now in full production on an exciting new release.
    There's a lot more detail in the blog, so make sure you read the whole thing before coming at us with your questions - we're sure they're answered there, honest. If not, we probably can't answer them anyway - but feel free to speculate and we'll watch and enjoy...
    https://www.totalwar.com/blog/what-t...g-on-07-06-17/

Warhammer 1
    - Old friend - later summer, think along the lines of the Blood Knight Free-LC, rather than lords or anything. Not saying it’s a unit specifically, but that sort of scale addition to the game.

- New race pack comming (not Kislev ( ), before W2, will come with a small update to the main game and a Free-LC drop. This particular Free-LC will benefit not only main game owners, but also DLC owners too this time (regiment or renown??)

Warhammer 2
    -blablabla no new info

Historical new content team
    -large Campaign Pack DLC for one of our more recent historical releases, schedule for later in the year, concept art

(Arminius the germano-roman /Herman the Cherusci, who defeated Varus in the Teutoburg Forest ..often with two wings on helmet...could be him?? )

Historical team
    -blablabla no news

Historical flashpoint team
    -new stand-alone title, set this in an era we have already visited, but will cover a particular period we are very fond of and haven’t done enough justice to yet.

We’ve been thinking a lot about how our major releases cover eras, our character-based follow-ups span the events of iconic lives (like Napoleon, or Attila), but that we are also interested in flashpoint moments. Those shorter, intense periods where events could have unfolded in any direction, dramatically changing the course of history in only a handful of months or years.

‘Fall of the Samurai’ being based on the Boshin War is a great example of this, and we are planning this new title to be similar in intent. It will also arrive before the next major historical title that the team above are working on.
    (Alexander??)
    Last edited by Daruwind; June 07, 2017 at 10:28 AM.
    DMR: (R2) (Attila) (ToB) (Wh1/2) (3K) (Troy)

Karnil Vark Khaitan's Avatar Praepositus

Default Re: Some new news :D

looks a lot like
    Hermannsdenkmal!!!

hope it is a re-make of rome 2 campaign in the attila engine. I love my burning and razing.

Im the Knight in Sour Armor http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...ghtInSourArmor
    Rainbow Darling rainbows Darling. Darling Rainbows!!!!!
    but on the same time modder with my first mod for Rome 2!http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile.../?id=286218945
    Hey Sparkle Sparkle Sparkle!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDULtV9U2kA
    Quote Originally Posted by riskymonk View Post
    yea but mods are created by fans of the series. Games are created by university students who might not necessarily know or play the games/series they're working on

Welsh Dragon's Avatar Content Staff

I'm hoping the new campaign will be for Rome 2. Not sure what specifically, but sounds interesting.

All the Best,

Welsh Dragon.

There's more of us playing Rome 2 so I am hopeful. Arminus in that concept art? Yeah possibly but that time period it happens in would be a nice book end to the Rome 2 time period.

Remember they are also mention the Historical flashpoint team which is working on a stand alone expansion. As they reference Fall of the Samuarai I expect Crisis of the 3rd Centuary to fit alongside Attila better.

Daruwind's Avatar Citizen

The standalone title seems to focus on big historival person (they noted Attila / Napoleon), "intense periods where events could have unfolded in any direction" ....to me it sounds much like Alexander. Or somebody similar. Alexander would even fullfilled the note about already visited time frame (greco-persian wars +/- ).

Plus keep in mind that it must be period with a few different factions and so. That´s why like Roman Civil War is not good idea. (two similar groups fighting each other)
    DMR: (R2) (Attila) (ToB) (Wh1/2) (3K) (Troy)

For the Historical Standalone they mentioned focussing on a Character was something they explicitly DIDN'T want to do, focussing on an event instead. Rather than the life of a character they want to focuss on a specific War, they brought up the example of the Boshin War and FOTS. An event of just a few years that alot occurred in. Personally I'd like to see War of the Roses since that is covered under Medieval 2 IIRC.
    Last edited by captainkrunch; June 07, 2017 at 07:51 PM.

My interpretation was that there are THREE historical campaigns in the making;

1. A DLC campaign for a pre-existing title. Seems likely based off of the art work to be a gallic/germanic campaign.

2. A standalone title to be released BEFORE the next major historical, set in a period that has already been covered but not in the detail they wished for. A flashpoint in history where over a couple of months things could have gone either way. To jump to conclusions off the title page artwork, i'd say we're getting a medieval campaign.

3. THE NEXT MAJOR HISTORIC RELEASE. Set in a period that has never been covered before. The campaign map is coming together and they're very happy with their artistic realisation.

This makes me a happy gamer. On top of all this a new race for warhammer 1 plus the release of warhammer 2 later this year. BELLISIMO.

Quote Originally Posted by FirstItGiveth View Post
    2. A standalone title to be released BEFORE the next major historical, set in a period that has already been covered but not in the detail they wished for. A flashpoint in history where over a couple of months things could have gone either way. To jump to conclusions off the title page artwork, i'd say we're getting a medieval campaign.
    Doesn't sound anything like a medieval campaign since that would involve way more then just months. Sounds more like Alexander since that expansion makes more sense with their "haven’t done enough justice" comment, since Alexander is one of the more disappointing expansions CA turned out due to being rushed and the 13 years Alexander lived to carry out his campaign could easily be made into a campaign that would have you move through months instead of 1ypt.

Quote Originally Posted by NostalgiaFan View Post
    Doesn't sound anything like a medieval campaign since that would involve way more then just months. Sounds more like Alexander since that expansion makes more sense with their "haven’t done enough justice" comment, since Alexander is one of the more disappointing expansions CA turned out due to being rushed and the 13 years Alexander lived to carry out his campaign could easily be made into a campaign that would have you move through months instead of 1ypt.
    Alexander wouldnt be my cup of tea, but sure, sounds like it fits the parametres

Quote Originally Posted by FirstItGiveth View Post
    Alexander wouldnt be my cup of tea, but sure, sounds like it fits the parametres
    Eh I could understand being sick of phalanxes after Rome 2 and Attila, but Alexander being one of the most famous and greatest military commanders of all time only having a sub par expansion to his name in the Total War series has always made me wish they could revisit him to give him the treatment he deserves.

I would hope if that is the case that the combat feel more like Warhammer(minus the magical flying creatures of course) instead of the annoying click to connect animations of the previous two historical titles. It would also be cool to actually play as the various different factions he faced like the Persians and Indians, which really bugged me in the expansion since you could only play Macedon and did not even get to fight India outside of custom battles and one historical battle. Persia especially would have a familiar feeling to the WRE In that it is huge and diverse but surrounded by enemies and exploding with internal upheaval that would make it very difficult but very interesting.

Classical Pike walls are literally among the most boring tactics in the history of Total War. Please no Alexander.

Really hoping for something Medieval. What I want personally is for the standalone to focuss on the Norman Conquest of England. Have 3 factions in Normandy under William, England under Harold(Godwinson), and Norway under Harold Hardrada and maybe some others like Scotland, and maybe even Denmark and France as some examples if they want to go a bit farther than just the British Isles. The Conquest was only ever touched by the Med 2 tutorial, and I'd consider that not doing it justice.

Well, to be honest what I REALLY want is a Hundred Years War focussed game but well, 100 years is a bit long for the sort of "Flashpoint" that they have in mind. Hence why I think The Conquest makes alot of sense being only a few years from about 1066 to when William solidifies his throne in 1072~ish. It also fulfills the requirement that it be a "shorter, intense periods where events could have unfolded in any direction, dramatically changing the course of history in only a handful of months or years" pretty clearly. Also obviously has 2 other big characters without having to focuss on the 1 obvious character in particular.
    Last edited by captainkrunch; June 07, 2017 at 10:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by captainkrunch View Post
    Classical Pike walls are literally among the most boring tactics in the history of Total War. Please no Alexander.
    This for me too. However being an absolute whore when it comes to all things total war i'd probably play anyways

Quote Originally Posted by captainkrunch View Post
    But see, the good thing about the era Alexander is in is that type of warfare would only be used by one faction which is Macedonia. The only other faction that might have that would possibly be the Greek City States which are not even be the exact same due to shorter spears. The rest of the factions like the Persians, the Indians, and the Scythians would have a completely different style of fighting which would mean you would not be stuck in that "Classical Pike wall" tactic as much as you think.

LestaT's Avatar Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by Daruwind View Post
    Just saw new FB post from Total War + CA updated what different teams are working on:

FB post:

https://www.totalwar.com/blog/what-t...g-on-07-06-17/

Warhammer 1
    - Old friend - later summer, think along the lines of the Blood Knight Free-LC, rather than lords or anything. Not saying it’s a unit specifically, but that sort of scale addition to the game.

- New race pack comming (not Kislev ( ), before W2, will come with a small update to the main game and a Free-LC drop. This particular Free-LC will benefit not only main game owners, but also DLC owners too this time (regiment or renown??)

Warhammer 2
    -blablabla no new info

Historical new content team
    -large Campaign Pack DLC for one of our more recent historical releases, schedule for later in the year, concept art

(Arminius the germano-roman /Herman the Cherusci, who defeated Varus in the Teutoburg Forest ..often with two wings on helmet...could be him?? )

Historical team
    -blablabla no news

Historical flashpoint team
    -new stand-alone title, set this in an era we have already visited, but will cover a particular period we are very fond of and haven’t done enough justice to yet.

(Alexander??)
    The last one, I hope for invasion of Britain but using Attila rather than Rome 2 engine.
    Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth. - Marcus Aurelius

LestaT's Avatar Artifex

The standalone title seems to focus on big historival person (they noted Attila / Napoleon), "intense periods where events could have unfolded in any direction" ....to me it sounds much like Alexander. Or somebody similar. Alexander would even fullfilled the note about already visited time frame (greco-persian wars +/- ).

Plus keep in mind that it must be period with a few different factions and so. That´s why like Roman Civil War is not good idea. (two similar groups fighting each other)
    Or the year of the 4 emperors.

Welsh Dragon's Avatar Content Staff

Quote Originally Posted by LestaT View Post
    Or the year of the 4 emperors.
    Also worth noting that they've already done a Roman Civil war for Rome 2, in the form of the Imperator Augustus Campaign.

The more I read and talk to friends, the more I'm liking the idea of Brennus for the Campaign DLC (assuming it's for Rome 2.) It sounds like an interesting period, one that fits within the era of the game but which hasn't really been touched yet. His defeat of Rome at the Battle of the Allia and subsequent sack of Rome sounds quite iconic, which would lend itself to an attention grabbing trailer and premise. And depending on the exact area covered, could also make for a nice map for modders to make campaigns which are more tightly focused on Italy.

All the Best,

Welsh Dragon.

Nizam's Avatar Ordinarius

Attila would be awesome becos they can fix performance too

Ottoman Total Overhaul received the 2nd favorite Overhaul/Compilation Mod - 2016 award!
    by_TotalWarTurkiye

The Wandering Storyteller's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Would love to see a Bronze Age Total War.

And would like to see a Cleopatra DLC.

Huberto's Avatar Praepositus

So I'm interested in the timing of these releases. The historical campaign DLC is this year, possibly soon. The flashpoint campaign will follow, but the question is when, sometime in 2018? That implies the next major historical release won't be seen until 2019 or as late as 2020 if it's delayed till after Snorehammer the Third. Perhaps CA will make this more clear at E3.

While I'm happy they are committed to making historical games, I'm also concerned about the dilution of talent that goes into making all this content. While I've certainly enjoyed some of the mini-campaigns like AoC, NTW and FotS (which might be CA's best), I think what most of us like above all hardcore, dense campaigns with new ideas and features that aren't buggy, and those seem to take years to develop.

Anyway, if the next major historical release is on a new engine that fundamentally alters the depth and complexity of what can be shown and done in battle, it will all be worth it of course.

Epic28's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by Huberto View Post
    So I'm interested in the timing of these releases. The historical campaign DLC is this year, possibly soon. The flashpoint campaign will follow, but the question is when, sometime in 2018? That implies the next major historical release won't be seen until 2019 or as late as 2020 if it's delayed till after Snorehammer the Third. Perhaps CA will make this more clear at E3.

While I'm happy they are committed to making historical games, I'm also concerned about the dilution of talent that goes into making all this content.
    While I've certainly enjoyed some of the mini-campaigns like AoC, NTW and FotS (which might be CA's best), I think what most of us like above all hardcore, dense campaigns with new ideas and features that aren't buggy, and those seem to take years to develop.

Anyway, if the next major historical release is on a new engine that fundamentally alters the depth and complexity of what can be shown and done in battle, it will all be worth it of course.
    My feeling is much of the talent that made the historical titles many of us "old timers" thoroughly enjoyed, have since moved on from CA. I still have an extremely stale taste in my mouth after the release of R2 and refuse to buy Attila at full price, nor am I really itching to play it. Warhammer doesn't excite me as a fantasy title.

A full fledged historical title sounds at least a year off at this point and my biggest fear is it will be a title that is stripped, streamlined and hollow. They are going to seriously have to retrace their steps and reintroduce standard features back into their historical titles again for me to gain any sort of interest in their next big historical title.
    Without mercy. Without compassion. Without remorse.
    All war depends upon it.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast