Thread: Roman army names?

Eldgrimr's Avatar Biarchus

Default Roman army names?

I'm doing a WRE playthrough, and I'm trying to be as historically accurate as possible. One of the ways I'm doing that is by having different armies, both the border guards (limitanei) and army (comitatenses).
    The armies in the game are always called "Comitatus (number) (name)". I have two questions.
    What should I call my border armies and the emperor's army? Also, should only the emperor have palace/palatina units, or did they historically fight in other armies as well?

Default Re: Roman army names?

Well, I don't know exactly, but I guess you can try looking in sources (the Notitia Dignitatum and other writings I guess). Really, the answer to all these questions is "the sources aren't always clear in this period and you're allowed some leeway with this stuff."

Palatina units were intended to be the household troops of the Augusti, commanded by a Magister Militum and stationed at the capital, their role was to deal with internal threats such as usurpers, and if necessary help deal with larger foreign invasions.

However this system could change due to temporary or more long term needs. Particularly in the WRE where Stilicho/Aetius/Ricimer monopolised military control, we see palatina troops being put under the command of a Comes, sometimes mixing with the comitatenses units too.

I'm looking to do the same thing, so I put in some hefty research because I enjoy doing so.

There are 3 types of armies I see when I read through the stuff. Constantine reformed the army.

Limitanei, which were the border guards of the empire, they eventually devolved into a militia. Limitanei were lightly armored, armed, and paid, so their representation is fitting. If you were create armies around these, they would consist of foederati units and the limitanei units already in game. Lead by a less than famous general, and stationed on the frontier. In my game, these armies rarely grow larger than 10 units and are placed in the walled minor settlements on the frontier. I'd focus this along the Castellum Limitum building line. Eventually allowing you to have psuedocomitensis units which will give these armies some real power. I have the general use the Comes unit. These guys are kind of like what Auxilia armies were.

The Comitatenses were, in my opinion, the equivalent of the legion. These men were heavily armored compared to the Limitanei and were usually recruited from safely inside the empire. They are the mobile line units of the empire and were the ones that responded to enemy incursions and were the ones carrying out invasions of foreign lands. Many of the legions were reformed into numbered Comitatensis units like "Undecimani" and "Secundani Italiciani" Somewhat keeping their namesake from the legions they were before. They also had specific shield designs similar to unit patches now in the US Army. Look up the Notitia Dignitatum. In my game, these armies consist mostly of comitatensis units and units solely recruited from the Castellum Comitatum line, not using some of the Auxilii Palatini units due to them not being what these historical armies used. Where I think it's understandable to use them is when you have veteran Comitatensis armies commanded by a veteran general. I start the commands off with Comes units and then transition to Magister Militum once they become veteran or are stationed in key parts of the empire, usually 20 units.

The last class of army is one I only use with my emperor in command or if they're station in the capital. This is the Palatini and Scholae units. These are the most senior soldiers and are the equivalents of the Praetorian guard. the only place I build the Castellum Palatium line is in my capital. The only commander that can lead this army out of the capital city is the emperor himself. If he is not in charge of the unit then it is stationed in the capital with the emperor, or wherever the emperor is. These units rarely played parts in expansion and were commanded by the Magister Militum since there is not a specific emperor bodyguard unit. This armys size is really dependent on the situation. I'll spike the army up to 20 units if there is a threat, and will keep it between 10-15 when I am in relatively stable peace. If they are stationed at home, I have the general use the heavy infantry bodyguard unit.

Eldgrimr's Avatar Biarchus

Nice bit of researach you did there, I came up with similar results.