Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Medieval Kingdoms Total War: KINGDOM OF ENGLAND (REVAMP)

Default Medieval Kingdoms Total War: KINGDOM OF ENGLAND (REVAMP)

​Kingdom of England
    (ROSTER EXTENSION/ REVAMP)

The original thread of the English faction description and preview is on the link below. Made by warman222.

(http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...3#post14649913)

The Kindom of England is getting a revamp now. New assets, new textures, some unique units strictly based on manuscript illustrations. I made these units as close to historical as possible.
    Few mercenaries available for AOR (Area of Recruitment). More heraldries with the Aristocrats, right banners representing each tiers and many more.
    Well feedback is very welcome. Thanks to warman222, slytacular and the other team members for the guidance.

Here it is! NO MORE BARBARIC BEARDS.

Strengths : Professional troops. Decent long ranged bow units. High quality of commoner troops with spears, polearms and bills. Decent shock, melee, and light cavalry.

Weaknesses : Lacks variety of heavy shock cavalry. No pikemen, crossbowmen, and mounted crossbowmen.

Missile Units
    (commoners)

Tier 1,2 and 3 Longbowmen

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Tier 2 and 3 Retinue Longbowmen

Handgunners Tier 3

Spear Units
    (commoners)

Tier 1 Spearmen, Tier 2 Pavise Spearmen, Tier 3 Pavise Spearmen

Axe, Polearms Units
    (commoners)

Sergeant Axemen (Tier 1 only)

Tier 1,2,3 Billmen

Tier 2 and 3 Heavy Billmen

Melee Swords, Mace, 1h Axe Units

Tier 1,2,3 Sergeants

Cavalry (Melee)
    (commoners)

Tier 1, 2, and 3 Mounted Sergeants
    (I will remove the breastplates with the tier 2)

Hobilars Tier 1,2, and 3

-ARISTOCRATS-

Foot Knights/Men-at-Arms Tier 1,2,and 3

Knights/ Men-at-Arms (mounted) Tier 1,2, and 3

King's Bodyguard Tier 1, 2, and 3

Elite Special Unit
    (credits for Slytacular for his idea)

Yeomen of the Guard (Halberd/Bill) Tier 3

Yeomen of the Guard (Longbow) Tier 3

Mercenaries

Mercenary Welsh Spearmen/Billmen Tier 1,2 and 3

Mercenary Welsh Longbowmen Tier 1 and 2

Credits for The_Fawn_Rescuer for the nice textures that I burrowed
    Last edited by banskie100; November 28, 2017 at 11:10 AM.

helmersen's Avatar Praepositus

Default Re: KINGDOM OF ENGLAND (REVAMP)

Wow, these are absolute gorgeous units. Well done, sir.
    Interested in how Attila and the new LONGBEARDS DLC plays?

Check out my Total War Attila: Jutes Let's Play: http://youtu.be/rFyxh4mj1pQ
    Check out my Total War Attila: The Langobards Let's Play: http://youtu.be/lMiHXVvVbCE
    Total War: Attila with ERE vs Sassanids GEM at max settings:
    http://youtu.be/jFYENvVpwIs
    Total War: Rome II Medieval Kingdoms Mod Gameplay: http://youtu.be/qrqGUYaLVzk

Looks excellent dude great job!

Hey man, can you change the icon to the ones used in the mod and adjust the name so it's more consistent with the other preview threads? Units look awesome btw.

hessam's Avatar Miles

some of the textures here are indeed beautiful.

Btw I guess the Earldoms will be represented through the AOR system?

Teutonic's Avatar Ordinarius

I also really like the new English. But it makes me miss the Celts even more. I guess there's a lack of suitable assets for them. What makes them such an interesting group of factions is what is making them difficult to recreate.

Anyway, really like both the armours and the colour scheme of the heraldry and fabrics.

Spitfire -WONDERBOLT!'s Avatar Vicarius
    Canterlot Castle, City of Canterlot, Equestria.

Question answered!

Needs more amour variation, shield pattern variation, brigantines, but that's probs a "WIP thing".

Needs great swordsmen, special (Named) units, noble shield/buckler men (also please don't just use round metal bucklers, wood, heater shaped tourney shield, also existed.)

But for a wip, very good. ^.^
    GIVE CREDIT TO YOUR ENEMY AND LITTLE TO YOURSELF, AS IT MAKES YOUR VICTORY ALL THE GREATER!
    -Under the influence of medically prescribed drugs, please take much salt with this post, you have been warned!

For the aristocrats, I would probably switch out the spaulders and other gothic/milanese arm related stuff for the kotg arms since they're more of an English thing.

@spitfire, No such thing as a "great swordsmen", nor a "noble buckler men" in the 15th century. Those are probably something you see more from the 16th-17th century.
    Last edited by Slytacular; May 28, 2017 at 04:57 PM.

Damn these units look amazing. Nice to see one of the OGs of the mod getting some more love.

One nitpicky thing is that I think that the sergeant tiers 1 and 2 and spearmen tier 1 need some more colorful and diverse shields. Maybe they are still WIP, but seeing them next to all the new much more colorful units makes their kind of bland color scheme stand out even more.

Awesome work here! +rep

Mundus Bellicus - TWC - ModDB - Discord - Steam
    ~ Patronized by Gaius Baltar, son of the Great Family of imb39, of the House of Garbarsardar, of the Noble House of Wilpuri.

Quote Originally Posted by Knight2708 View Post
    Damn these units look amazing. Nice to see one of the OGs of the mod getting some more love.

One nitpicky thing is that I think that the sergeant tiers 1 and 2 and spearmen tier 1 need some more colorful and diverse shields. Maybe they are still WIP, but seeing them next to all the new much more colorful units makes their kind of bland color scheme stand out even more.
    A little color theme is sometimes a nice break from the clustercluck of colors that mess with my eyes. Having a set color theme is a basic game design 101 thing.

Commissar Caligula_'s Avatar The Ecstasy of Potatoes

Looks awesome

Spitfire -WONDERBOLT!'s Avatar Vicarius
    Canterlot Castle, City of Canterlot, Equestria.

Quote Originally Posted by Slytacular View Post
    For the aristocrats, I would probably switch out the spaulders and other gothic/milanese arm related stuff for the kotg arms since they're more of an English thing.

@spitfire, No such thing as a "great swordsmen", nor a "noble buckler men" in the 15th century. Those are probably something you see more from the 16th-17th century.
    Mid 1400's technically hand-and-a-half swords, but still, enough.

Bugger game design gimme the history. XD
    GIVE CREDIT TO YOUR ENEMY AND LITTLE TO YOURSELF, AS IT MAKES YOUR VICTORY ALL THE GREATER!
    -Under the influence of medically prescribed drugs, please take much salt with this post, you have been warned!

Kjertesvein's Avatar Remember to smile
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

The tabards are absolutely stunning. The inclusion of Pavises in the 14th century, now we're talking up to date research. I hope we can see those on ships as well. We do know crossbows were used by England in the hundreds based on inventories and muster rolls, but compared to longbows, we're not even touching on the 1%, therefor not really necessary. I agree with your conclusion and overall a good roster.

A unique Noble Calais unit, unlocked with the Tower of London building (their history is directly intertwined) is always an alternative if such a thing as an English crossbow unit is wanted. Calais and Bordoux were the two main recipients of arms and armour from England, specifically via the Tower of London. Many English nobles were gifted high quality crossbows from the king for their promised serviced in the defense of Calais, England's long standing overseas possession.

Quote Originally Posted by Spitfire -WONDERBOLT! View Post
    Needs great swordsmen, special (Named) units, noble shield/buckler men (also please don't just use round metal bucklers, wood, heater shaped tourney shield, also existed.)
    1. The thing about English (and many French) longswords is that they were generally shorter than "Germanic" longswords. Usually a single handed blade with a two handed grip. I think it's close to impossible to portray the idea of a typical 2 handed English swordsmen (Men-at-Arms) with the swords that are currently available.
    2. As for metal bucklers (targe), yes that was a thing in England.
    3. The buckler was the choice of the common man, however. Men-at-Arms with bucklers (with coats of arms painted on), that was also a thing. Even for kings.
    4. When it comes to knightly shields (scutum), I would be cautious when seeing it overly used in a non-tournament setting. Heater shields is a style that, to my knowledge faded out 1340-1360. Both from effigies and armoury inventories simultaneously, and replaced by bucklers and pavises. Seeing them in combination with styles of armour that came after that period is weird to me, specially for infantry. It's like seeing a WW1 airplane in the Iraq War.

My interpretations above are based on these source: Point 1., see effigies (this example dated to 1440s), this is a similar view to Capwell and Easton. There's also a number of them clearly depicted in Froissart's Chronicle. This thesis by Richardson demonstrate point 2.-4., see page 82-86.

~Wille
    Last edited by Kjertesvein; May 28, 2017 at 09:47 PM.
    Thorolf was thus armed. Then Thorolf became so furious that he cast his shield on his back, and, grasping his halberd with both hands, bounded forward dealing cut and thrust on either side. Men sprang away from him both ways, but he slew many. Thus he cleared the way forward to earl Hring's standard, and then nothing could stop him. He slew the man who bore the earl's standard, and cut down the standard-pole. After that he lunged with his halberd at the earl's breast, driving it right through mail and body, so that it came out at the shoulders; and he lifted him up on the halberd over his head, and planted the butt-end in the ground. There on the weapon the earl breathed out his life in sight of all, both friends and foes. [...] 53, Egil's Saga
    I must tell you here of some amusing tricks the Comte d'Eu played on us. I had made a sort of house for myself in which my knights and I used to eat, sitting so as to get the light from the door, which, as it happened, faced the Comte d'Eu's quarters. The count, who was a very ingenious fellow, had rigged up a miniature ballistic machine with which he could throw stones into my tent. He would watch us as we were having our meal, adjust his machine to suit the length of our table, and then let fly at us, breaking our pots and glasses.
    - The pranks played on the knight Jean de Joinville, 1249, 7th crusade.

http://imgur.com/a/DMm19
    Quote Originally Posted by Finn View Post
    This is the only forum I visit with any sort of frequency and I'm glad it has provided a home for RTR since its own forum went down in 2007. Hopefully my donation along with others from TWC users will help get the site back to its speedy heyday, which will certainly aid us in our endeavor to produce a full conversion mod Rome2.

A very colorful yet consistent colour scheme, I like it. Great job

Quote Originally Posted by Kjertesvein View Post
    1. As for metal bucklers (targe), yes that was a thing in England.
    2. The buckler was the choice of the common man, however. Men-at-Arms with bucklers (with coats of arms painted on), that was also a thing. Even for kings.

The "targe" or "target" is potentially a misinterpretation that it would actually refer to a "tartsche" or a small version of "pavise". Richardson states that he is unsure of the meaning, and only relates the definition by evidence of the later centuries. The way he types his essay seems to have convinced himself that targes MUST be small round shields. However, This can have a vague definition or mean something completely different. For example, our discussion with how cannons were not standardized until the 16th century and were only vague with names previously. Richardson in his thesis mentions "construction of large targes" and specific descriptions of various materials.

Surprisingly enough, people already tag pictures of these as "targes"

Yes, there are examples of illustrations that show Medieval men killing each other while holding small little circular shields. However, no Medieval source I know of declares, "The shield that man has in his hand is a target." Therefore, I am disdainful of the theory that targets mean small little round shields.

Great work indeed, is the french roster going to be revamped as well?

French roster already got a great revamp, it“s perfect like it is now imo. At some point the revamping has to end, except for factions which really need it.

Kingdom of England looks up to date now too. Really, really nice indeed.

Update : You can see now the King's Bodyguard from Tier 1, 2 and 3.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast