Thread: Hoplites secondary weapons

Default Hoplites secondary weapons

I have noticed that in battle, hoplites prefer using their secondary weapon rather than their spear. Is there a way to correct that ? I have tried correcting it by adding the phalanx ability (with short pikes) to the hoplites units. It's quite realistic, they use their secondary weapon only when they are engaged in close fighting, but it's not a solution because they cannot run anymore... Any idea ?

Default Re: Hoplites secondary weapons

In my mod I made the choice than hoplites use only their spears. If you want play with second weapon blades for hoplites in close fighting, you have no other possibility thant use the phalanx ability.
    Testing the best animations for hoplites, I understand that the best choice is to keep only 1 weapon for the hoplite, spears.

Yup, I think you are right. I have tested different possibilities (removing the charge bonus of the secondary weapon), but nothing works. At the best, they use their swords only for the charge and their spears for the melee, but that's not a solution. Besides, all the hoplites in the game have a machaira slashing sword. It's nice, but not historical : most of the time, hoplites used a straight xiphos sword.

You will see that making choice to use only spears for hoplites is better choice playing the mod. Like this, hoplites are always good against cavalry, their charge is with spears and it closing fighting it s beautiful to see them fighting with spears.
    if yo like the xiphos sword, you can be glad to watch the epibates units (marines) which use them currently for close battle naval