Thread: There is something VERY wrong with the battle AI in this otherwise incredible mod.

Default There is something VERY wrong with the battle AI in this otherwise incredible mod.

It's borderline ruining the game experience. AI armies behave erratically and illogically -- When an army sallies out of a besieged city, it will repeatedly run back and forth from the town center to the gate without ever engaging -- allowing you to pick them off with ease with archers, or attack units individually and destroy them. It makes it far too easy and even frustrating.

Moreover, and even more damagingly, when an AI army has reinforcements, they sit on the edge of the map and don't join in battle at all. You have to go after them. It's completely broken.

All other mods i've played have, if not brilliant battle AI, at the very least AI that will attack your army.

Which is a real shame, because the units and campaign balance and massive rosters make this mod one of the greats. But it's almost unplayable right now.

Thanks for taking the time to make it, and I hope you folks are still active! I'd love to actually be able to play this game. Are there any fixes?

Game of the Fates
    Mod of the week on hold -- I've played nearly every RTW mod out there.
    BOYCOTT THE USE OF SMILEYS! (Okay, just once)
    Antiochos VII...last true scion of the Seleucid dynasty...rest in peace, son of Hellas.
    I've returned--please forgive my long absence.

~Seleukos.I.Nikator~'s Avatar Campidoctor
    The United Europe, currently residing in Norway

Default Re: There is something VERY wrong with the battle AI in this otherwise incredible mod.

Antiochos,

Can you tell us more about the faction that you play? What's your enemy? What difficulty level?

I was playing this modification myself for quite some time and haven't really experienced the kind of problems that you are describing here.

The AI's battle behavior was objectively decent and the only problem that I remember that it was really driving me a bit crazy was the pathfinding and the units' behavior around a certain type of stone walls during sieges but that was it.

The field battles were working really smoothly.

Default Re: There is something VERY wrong with the battle AI in this otherwise incredible mod.

When it's one full stack versus another full stack, and especially when the AI is attacking -- things tend to work normally.

However, I urge you to play a campaign and attack an AI army with another AI army reinforcing it. The reinforcing army will sit on the edge of the map and not join in until you go after it and attack it.

I've had it happen three out of three times in battles of this sort.

Moreover, besiege a city until the AI attacks out of it -- their behavior will be strange, or at least in has been in the couple battles of this sort i've had.

If it's just a custom battle, or an army fighting another army 1-1, everything seems to be okay. It's only in the two specific instances I enumerated above, at least in my experience.

Game of the Fates
    Antiochos VII...last true scion of the Seleucid dynasty...rest in peace, son of Hellas.

Quote Originally Posted by Antiochos VII Sidetes View Post
    When it's one full stack versus another full stack, and especially when the AI is attacking -- things tend to work normally.

However, I urge you to play a campaign and attack an AI army with another AI army reinforcing it. The reinforcing army will sit on the edge of the map and not join in until you go after it and attack it.

I've had it happen three out of three times in battles of this sort.

Moreover, besiege a city until the AI attacks out of it -- their behavior will be strange, or at least in has been in the couple battles of this sort i've had.

If it's just a custom battle, or an army fighting another army 1-1, everything seems to be okay. It's only in the two specific instances I enumerated above, at least in my experience.
    What faction are you playing and at what difficulty are you playing at. Please answer the question. It is the first time we have heard this happening

Under the esteemed patronage of Ramon Gonzales y Garcia IB and IB2 Mod

Thanks for replying Rio!

I'm playing (of course) as the Gallic Empire, or the Romans, or whatever you wish to call them. The reinforcement bug has occurred twice when fighting rebel armies being reinforced by other rebel armies, and once when fighting a Saxon army being reinforced by a second Saxon army. I play on Hard Campaign difficulty and Medium battle difficulty.

The sallying-out bug has occurred exclusively with rebel garrisons so far. They run all their units at full speed from one end of the town to the other, avoiding all contact and making it laughably easy to beat them in the process. I was expecting to lose to one of those elite city garrisons in South Gaul, but I was able to destroy them with almost no casualties because of the bug -- highly anticlimactic.

I will try to get a screenshot.

Game of the Fates

dannyalex's Avatar Campidoctor

i downloaded yesterday ,i play with Regnum Britorum,i siege a city from the councilor britorum and i had the same issue
    Most Chivalrous commander 2020-2021