Thread: Haradrim Culture: Language and Names

Default Haradrim Culture: Language and Names

So I acquired this "Harad Culture Concept" awhile back from someone who I believed modded, The Last Days of the Third Age mod for Mount & Blade Warband. If any modders are interested in this could we discuss some possibly new unit names for the current Harad units in the mod.

Default Re: Haradrim Culture: Language and Names

Here's a list from the Google Docs for this.
    Harad words
    - boghi - god
    náru - snake
    bádag - dragon/serpent
    vurka - wolf
    šár - lion
    varu - tiger
    haraš - eagle
    műmak/inkaba - oliphaunt
    mereko - bird
    mereko a kerešhvar- carrion bird
    adhvaró - eat
    hvaretha - food
    sámach - black/dark
    sukrá - red
    uverja - chosen
    y(j)ala - guard
    karimnala - acolyte/priest
    aniur - religious
    parkui - pure
    daluki - long
    ífar - fire
    šejmir - sword/ weapon
    uštem - arrow/ dart
    aka - bow
    nevi - no/none
    adum - I
    admue - I am
    odmue - you are
    vadmechí - we are
    udmue - he/she/it is
    udmechí - they are
    av - for
    am - this/that
    pukia - son
    bastiš - soldier
    parúv - much
    veši - many
    váka - mace
    aspa - horse
    áruja - spear
    árubira/áruštka - spearman
    aspabira - horseman
    vákabira - mace/rod bearer
    heiná - enemy (pl)
    tuchma - brave
    (t)apupaniya - archer
    otí - and
    vejša - great/mighty
    vejdiša - greatest
    áthasa - stone
    ákeufasiya - mountain dwellers (dwarves?)
    hamerúm - battle
    ámauta - noble
    chaki - from
    mányata - household/bloodline
    tiuméta - family
    chauva - hat/helmet
    chšaka - empire
    abí - to, towards
    išuba - battle axe
    biganu - destroy
    jál - attack
    verjál - Attack!
    achuvá - fear
    frannétar - commander
    jíhva - alive
    mártva - dead
    márja - to die
    majál - to kill
    virmajál - to wipe out
    jaltir - crusher/ striker
    namauvi - angry/ vengeful
    frajál - cut off
    núntha - to flee
    idů - here
    jatánus - sorcerer
    súrach - evil
    chnuta - to please
    játa - until
    daranaja - gold
    thaba - to burn
    Vidarma - the Ripper
    spáthanija - army camp
    skuthi - weak
    kraftha - draw (weapons)
    kareme - head
    frabaró - bring

♔atthias♔'s Avatar dutch speaking
    Citizen

not lore friendly but if the modders want to use it that is up to them
    Rise of Mordor 3D Modelers Wanted
    Total War - Rise of Mordor
    Are you a 3D Environment and Character artist, or a Character Animator?

If yes, then the Rise of Mordor team linked above is looking for you!
    Massive Overhaul Submod Units!
    D you want some units back in MOS 1.7? Install this mod http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...n-1-1-RELEASED
    It adds back units who were deleted from the campaign in MOS 1.7, namely the Winged Swordsmen, the Citadel Guard Archers and the Gondor Dismounted Bodyguard.

Under the proud patronage of
    Frunk of the house of Siblesz

Quote Originally Posted by atthias View Post
    True but there is already some stuff in DaC that isn't lore friendly but seeing how the Rhunnic units have been renamed, Clan Hunters - Daritai Hunters, Warriors, etc. I hope the modders consider this for Haradrim units.

True but there is already some stuff in DaC that isn't lore friendly but seeing how the Rhunnic units have been renamed, Clan Hunters - Daritai Hunters, Warriors, etc. I hope the modders consider this for Haradrim units.<br>
    <br> There's more to the google docs, there's 11 pages of it.

Not as absurd as middle eastern/central asian names. There is Rhunnic a general carrying my cousin's name. That was immersion breaking to me.

Plus as said there is plenty of out o of lore things in the game and the mod. When everything is not covered and you want to give player/viewer a more expanded experience, its ok to use some imagination as long as its not entirely out of place.

El Monstero29's Avatar Semisalis

I'm more than willing to update Harad and Rhun's names based on these words. I'm the one who updated the desert faction's names for the current version of the game, previously they had a grand total of like 30 names each. Rhun and Khand share the exact same name list. I made up some names myself, but yes, many other names I simply took from lists of Middle Eastern and Mongolian names.

I had suggested that I could make up all new names for Rhun to separate them further from Khand, but I never received a response on whether Galu wants me to do so or not. I'd be more than happy to do the same for Harad based on these words. Can you link the full google doc?

@Atthias: lore friendly? Do we know a single word of the Haradrim's language? How can something like this be unlore friendly when we don't even know the first thing about that culture? What lore is there to break?!

Quote Originally Posted by El Monstero29 View Post
    I'm more than willing to update Harad and Rhun's names based on these words. I'm the one who updated the desert faction's names for the current version of the game, previously they had a grand total of like 30 names each. Rhun and Khand share the exact same name list. I made up some names myself, but yes, many other names I simply took from lists of Middle Eastern and Mongolian names.

I had suggested that I could make up all new names for Rhun to separate them further from Khand, but I never received a response on whether Galu wants me to do so or not. I'd be more than happy to do the same for Harad based on these words. Can you link the full google doc?
    That's an addition I'd definitely want to see and use, I'm all for more immersion into the Southrons and Easterlings, and cool names is a part of that

♔atthias♔'s Avatar dutch speaking
    Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by El Monstero29 View Post

@Atthias: lore friendly? Do we know a single word of the Haradrim's language? How can something like this be unlore friendly when we don't even know the first thing about that culture? What lore is there to break?!
    that is what I mean we don't know so we can be breaking it after all nobody knows what tolkien had in mind for them but I can see your line of thought also
    but I disagree with that still for the reason given above
    Rise of Mordor 3D Modelers Wanted
    Total War - Rise of Mordor
    Are you a 3D Environment and Character artist, or a Character Animator?

If yes, then the Rise of Mordor team linked above is looking for you!
    Massive Overhaul Submod Units!
    D you want some units back in MOS 1.7? Install this mod http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...n-1-1-RELEASED
    It adds back units who were deleted from the campaign in MOS 1.7, namely the Winged Swordsmen, the Citadel Guard Archers and the Gondor Dismounted Bodyguard.

Under the proud patronage of
    Frunk of the house of Siblesz

Here's the link to the entirety of the google doc. https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...qoCFxNjVA/edit

Gondolin's Avatar Tiro

Still better than the current arabs names that as nothing to do here. By the way, haradrim as nothing to do neither with the arabs but some modders and Peter Jackson seem to have an other opinion of it.
    It must be a pleasur for an arab fan to see how they put the "arab like" people in the evil side (thank you occident), because of the desert