Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Stainless Steel Unit Overhaul Project [WIP]

Default Re: Stainless Steel Unit Overhaul Project [WIP]

Hello everyone, I still don't have much to release, but I am slowly advancing on the other militia units. I did have a question for all of you though: I recently watched "the Outlaw King", which I found very enjoyable, and couldn't help but notice the uniforms and weaponry of the units in the movie, notably their shields. The english foot troops had small, leather shields that were unpainted, which I thought to be rather intersting. Would you guys prefer for me to adopt this style of shields intermixed with painted ones in the militia units or keep the current painted ones? If you choose the former option, the current shields I will probably give to my sergeant units.

Another thing: I would like a general description of the structure of medieval armies per country in all three eras: how they recruted, from which social classes and the degree of training their troops would have, as well as maybe the name of a few unique units. I already have a list of unit rosters I recently re-made, but I am for instance trying to distinguish between urban militias and rural militias and it is complicated.

Thanks in advance, I await your answers!

All right, I've decided I'd keep the painted english shields as of now, I'll just give better decoration for the sergeants. I have however removed the targe shields from the scottish militia, reserving them for higher quality units

paleologos's Avatar You need burrito love!!

I'm a bit embarrassed to admit that I missed the posts on this thread since the summer.
    But I am glad to see you picking this up again.

If I may recommend one thing is that you start a thread in the Skins, Models, and Animations forum (for Tools Tutorials and Resources) and every time you finish a model for a troop type, you upload that model in the file hosting server of your choice and post a link for common access and some screenies in your resource thread.
    That's what I do.
    I mean, it's a shame for the work to have been done but for people not to be able to enjoy that work in their games.
    Last edited by paleologos; November 26, 2018 at 01:34 PM.

Plain leather shields have the risk of looking a bit dull.

Colored wood is better imo

Thanks for your comments! I actually decided to maintain status quo as far as shields go: I just can't get them right without having general overview of the finished rosters. If necessary, I'll change them later.

As for opening a thread, the main issues are that my models (apart from spearmen) require custom animations one would have to add, which can cause compatibility problems, and I don't know a good and free storage place for them. Mediafire would be nice, but I have to look into it. I will however release them when I can, for anyone who wants to mess around with them !

Google Drive is free and good enough for me.
    Release the ones that are ready as a resource, not as a mod.
    Those who want to improve the models of their mod will be able to do so faster with the benefit of your assets.

please could you release the scottish pack as soon as possible? their outfits are a glaring historical inaccuracy in their current form. those responsible should be prosecuted at The Hague.
    to catch a fish,so juicy sweeeeeet

Hello there,

I have for a while now been in doubt as to what I want my units and unit rosters to look like. Despite sharing common cultural elements, Western Factions remain rather distinct when it comes to how society and the military were organised in medieval times, and I would like, with the small number of units available to me, to try and reproduce those differences in unit styles in each roster.
    I have recently found a few good books for research and intend to reform my rosters from here, so that is what I shall be doing for a while. I will of course also continue working on the units, but since I am often doing quite a bit of backtracking (I am for instance currently changing my militia shields to leather ones), I have decided not to "finalise" units (meaning creating lods and normal textures) until I am done with making the rosters in order to have a general idea of what each army looks like.

As for the units I posted in pictures, I will indeed create a resource page, but I will release only the spear militia, as I don't think anyone wants to get into the trouble of replacing their animation packs for archers to work

Elendil 03's Avatar Semisalis
    A landlocked, neutral country somewhere in Western Europe

The textures look amazing, keep it up!

How are things coming along? I am very interested in this project.

I am currently encountering problems in daily life because I am currently being drowned in work in preparation for my final exams this year, especially now because of unforseen circumstances, and I need to restabilise my private life before getting back into modding. I am still however trying to rework the unit rosters to both have the right number of units and make each faction as specific as it was back in the days, which also does take a lot of efforts and does include a rework of militia units on which I am currently working on. I might still preview one or two later on, but I am going to modify to some extent the ones I have made, so it may take me a while.

Thanks for your patience and encouragement! I will also open a workshop thread later on, for those who wish to freely use the models.

This is the rework I have been making on the militias: changing their shields to plain, leather-covered shields, as they probably were back in the days, as well as adding a few more in. I need your opinion as to what you think of those. I will also be changing their spears to simpler ones and change some (only a few) outfits for the iberian troops to plainer colors. Not only will this be more historically accurate, but it will also make it easier for me to design the more "extravagant" sergeant and knightly units.

Scottish Spear Militia:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

English Spear Militia:

French Communal Spearmen:

Excellent work! Looking forward to using these when you release them!
    Roland searched the continent for the man who'd done him in
    He found him in Mombasa in a barroom drinking gin
    Roland aimed his Thompson gun. He didn't say a word
    But he blew Van Owen's body from there to Johannesburg
    - Warren Zevon - Roland the Headless Thompson Gunner - 1978

Very nice

I hope I see a full collection of these troops some day, well done!

Hello everyone, thanks for your support! I am announcing that I'll be off the job until early August, as my main exams are coming up and if I fail them it'll be another year of the intense and exhausting work I've been doing for two years now. I won't be doing anything on the mod, as it is too distracting, but if you guys want to help me elaborate some unit rosters, I do need advice on how to make the sicilian roster because I am having a hard time deciding wether I want to represent the different eras the country has gone through (ie Norman, German, and then Angevin and Aragonese), and I also need help with Hungary, Poland and the Scandinavians in the military structure aspect of things.

Thanks for your understanding!

Elendil 03's Avatar Semisalis
    A landlocked, neutral country somewhere in Western Europe

Good luck with your exams!
    This sounds like a cool new approach to the Sicilian Roster. I'd like to help you, but I'm very busy now myself (also around here) and I really hope you'll find a volunteer to assist you.

Metal.Pigeon's Avatar Decanus

Quote Originally Posted by MightyPotato View Post
    I do need advice on how to make the sicilian roster because I am having a hard time deciding wether I want to represent the different eras the country has gone through (ie Norman, German, and then Angevin and Aragonese), and I also need help with Hungary, Poland and the Scandinavians in the military structure aspect of things
    I don't see why you couldn't do that; CSUR does a pretty nice job at it. If unit space is an issue, I think you could do something like have a unit of Norman knights wearing chainmail and Norman helmets early on, but when their armour gets upgraded, they have a more German look (like sallets). The only issue here would be the name.

One suggestion from me for the Hungarians would be black plate armour, as a nod to the Black Legions. It would definitely help make them stand out.

I might give you more specific ideas later if you'd like.

Mod leader of One Ruler on Earth | Unit modeler for Colonies & Empires

Well interestingly the black army was not named so because of their armor but because they were mainly composed of Bohemian mercenaries, but I will indeed give some of them blackened armor so they can look nice

Also the decision I have taken for after my exams is to keep on working on the units without too much bothering with the rosters, and then getting organized along the way. My only fear is to be out of space for units.Also what I need to know is how to make factions that have had major transitions such as Sicily or the Seljuks. I don't know whether I should make the Sicilian invasion by the Angevins a proper event or simply take it into account in the rosters

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast