Thread: Dealing With Numidia

Icon1 Dealing With Numidia

Does anyone have any tips for dealing with Numidia in the campaign? I'm currently at war with them as the Scipii (latest Steam version of RTW, no mods), and they are proving suprisingly resiliant. Desert Infantry are tougher than I thought, and they also have quite powerful cavalry and missle troops. Does anyone have any reliable strategies to defeat them?

Genius of the Restoration's Avatar You beaut and magical

Default Re: Dealing With Numidia

Don't know what your experience has been so far, but if you've been relying on infantry, you'll likely struggle a bit more against Numidia. Take heaps of archers and load up on your heaviest cav, only taking a few infantry units to sit there and hold up the Desert Infantry while your cav go around and flank from the side and behind. Their jav cav will be shot by your archers and if they charge in, use your cav to take them out. You should be able to rout Desert Infantry if they're engaged with Hastati (/whatever Roman units you're up to) and then hit with two cav charges at the same time. Once one starts to retreat, the others will follow.

But yep, 6 archers, 8 cav and a few units of infantry will do the trick

What infantry would you recommend I use? I've unlocked the Marian reforms, so should I go for Legionary Cohorts, or stick with Auxillia? Also, do you think training lots of Cavalry Auxillia and hiring Numidian Mercenaries would help? I've been trying ot avoid using heavy troops because I didn't want them to tire in the heat of the Sahara, but I think I may need to re-think my strategy at this point.

Any infantry should be fine. Legionary troops would be good if you can retrain them. Leave the Cavalry Auxilia behind against Numidia - you'll lose less troops and have an easier time by using your heaviest cavalry units + some generals. Don't worry about tiredness, even if your troops are exhausted by the time they catch the Numidian armies. Roman Marian units are so much better in melee that they'll be fine anyway.

Leonardo's Avatar Reborn Old Timer

Quote Originally Posted by LordLurch View Post
    What infantry would you recommend I use? I've unlocked the Marian reforms, so should I go for Legionary Cohorts, or stick with Auxillia? Also, do you think training lots of Cavalry Auxillia and hiring Numidian Mercenaries would help? I've been trying ot avoid using heavy troops because I didn't want them to tire in the heat of the Sahara, but I think I may need to re-think my strategy at this point.
    Have you tried to use war dogs against the Numidian desert infantry yet? Most infantry that's not an elite infantry will rout sooner rather than later when facing war dogs.

Also, using the Arcani could work too since they have very good stamina and they are a fast infantry with an intimidating effect on lesser troops.
    Under patronage of General Brewster of the Imperial House of Hader.

How to make Morrowind less buggy for new players - Of course every player may find it useful.

Quote Originally Posted by Genius of the Restoration View Post
    Any infantry should be fine. Legionary troops would be good if you can retrain them. Leave the Cavalry Auxilia behind against Numidia - you'll lose less troops and have an easier time by using your heaviest cavalry units + some generals. Don't worry about tiredness, even if your troops are exhausted by the time they catch the Numidian armies. Roman Marian units are so much better in melee that they'll be fine anyway.
    So I should go with something like Legionary Cavalry and Archer Auxilia?

Quote Originally Posted by Leonardo View Post
    Have you tried to use war dogs against the Numidian desert infantry yet? Most infantry that's not an elite infantry will rout sooner rather than later when facing war dogs.

Also, using the Arcani could work too since they have very good stamina and they are a fast infantry with an intimidating effect on lesser troops.
    I generally don't use War Dogs (I find them a waste of money), and I can't train Arcani yet.

Yep, go with the best archers you can field and the heaviest cavalry. Your advantage is that you have superior troops, so use the best ones that you can.

Dogs can be useful to get skirmishing enemies, since they don't retreat from the dogs once they've been let loose. Could be useful against the jav cav but they're a bit trickier to use and you have to be careful with when you release them because you don't get to control them afterwards.

Leonardo's Avatar Reborn Old Timer

Quote Originally Posted by LordLurch View Post
    I generally don't use War Dogs (I find them a waste of money), and I can't train Arcani yet.
    Maybe it is time to try to use war dogs.

Look around in your settlements for religious buildings like Awesome Temple to Mars (Brutii, The Senate), Awesome Temple to Jupiter (Julii), Awesome Temple to Saturn (Scipii). Each of these temple allow you to train Arcani.
    Under patronage of General Brewster of the Imperial House of Hader.

How to make Morrowind less buggy for new players - Of course every player may find it useful.

Yep, go with the best archers you can field and the heaviest cavalry. Your advantage is that you have superior troops, so use the best ones that you can.

Dogs can be useful to get skirmishing enemies, since they don't retreat from the dogs once they've been let loose. Could be useful against the jav cav but they're a bit trickier to use and you have to be careful with when you release them because you don't get to control them afterwards.
    One more question. The cavalry-heavy build that you gave me doesn't sound like it would work too well in a siege. Do you have any advice for that kind of situation?

Load up on the best archers you have available. Take at least 8 units. Don't charge at units that haven't been softened by your masses of ranged units. Cavalry still do okay in cities - but if you're Roman, just pile in with your heavy infantry. You should be okay with your cavalry against Numidia because their infantry isn't strong enough to hold them. Desert Infantry are pretty good units in the earlier stages of the game, but even they won't last long against the post-Marian reform cavalry units you can bring.

Load up on the best archers you have available. Take at least 8 units. Don't charge at units that haven't been softened by your masses of ranged units. Cavalry still do okay in cities - but if you're Roman, just pile in with your heavy infantry. You should be okay with your cavalry against Numidia because their infantry isn't strong enough to hold them. Desert Infantry are pretty good units in the earlier stages of the game, but even they won't last long against the post-Marian reform cavalry units you can bring.
    Thanks! I'll have to try this when (and if) I ever finish this game.

You're very welcome!

Their cavalry is weak against archers or other cavalry. With 6-8 units of cavalry, you can easily beat them at an early stage of the battle. Then, you engage their infantry with your infantry, you take 2 units of skirmishers in their back, you shoot from behind, and they should start to rout. If not, you bring your cavalry and charge them on the back. If you are quick enough, your infantry won't suffer much.