Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I need help !!!

Icon4 I need help !!!

Greetings to you all, I am posting this thread due to the fact of me loving a mod that has a certain bug within it and the creator of the mod has unfortunately stopped being active and will not and does not know how to fix the problem with his mod, If any modders around here are interested please do contact me, not to fix the bug but to at least guide me through the assembly kit and help me fix the simple bug. it's about the disappearance of units withing the mod when zoomed away from in the battle map.

I have already posted a thread addressing the issue but only one person was kind enough to address the matter and how to resolve it, but sadly that particular member does not seem to be active on the forum anymore. he did mention that in order to get rid of the zoom out unit bug is to by "assigning an imposter to almost each stuff (armour, trousers, helmet, shield..) in the vm file of all units having this problem when zooming out in battle."

the only problem is I have no idea what he's talking about lol. please if any modder here is familiar with this. please teach me how to do it. or maybe be kind enough to do it for me lol xD. it is too much to ask for but I guess it never hurts to ask around.

Default Re: I need help !!!

Ok what you want to do is open up the mod in .pack format with Pack File Manager (you can search and download it here.) Once you read a short tutorial (just search it up) you will understand how it works.
    You will want to go down to the VariantMeshDefinitions folder and when you open it up you will find a list of all the unit 'appearances' that are used by the mod.
    I don't have information on what unit exactly in the mod you are looking at that has the problem, but you can search up the tables land_units, main_units, unit names (table under 'text' folder), and unit_variants_tables to see what the appearance defined by a .variantmeshdefinition file belongs to (and these exist in the VariantMeshDefinitions folder).
    Once you sort out what unit has the zoom out bug, you want to right click and open it up (alternatively for lengthy editing extract it and open with notepad or notepad++ :put it back in by 'add file' command later you'll figure it out). Then, whenever a model is defined like this:
    <VARIANT_MESH model="variantmeshes\_variantmodels\man\armour/gondor_steel_gauntlets.rigid_model_v2" />
    ^that is an example from what i am working on,
    you edit the text and change it to this:
    <VARIANT_MESH model="variantmeshes\_variantmodels\man\armour/gondor_steel_gauntlets.rigid_model_v2" imposter_model="VariantMeshes/_VariantModels/man/armour/gondor_steel_gauntlets.rigid_model_v2" />
    Yep you just have to add the extra bit at the end of the line. Make sure that imposter_model path is the same as the path defined on the left because what you are essentially saying is what model it is going to use up close on the left, and what model it will use when you zoom out far on the right (the bit after imposter_model=).
    Once you are done, remember to save Sometimes pack file manager has problem saving where files disappear, so make backups and watch out if that happens.
    If you don't understand anyting let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by Marshal Cathrandir of Gondor View Post
    Ok what you want to do is open up the mod in .pack format with Pack File Manager (you can search and download it here.) Once you read a short tutorial (just search it up) you will understand how it works.
    You will want to go down to the VariantMeshDefinitions folder and when you open it up you will find a list of all the unit 'appearances' that are used by the mod.
    I don't have information on what unit exactly in the mod you are looking at that has the problem, but you can search up the tables land_units, main_units, unit names (table under 'text' folder), and unit_variants_tables to see what the appearance defined by a .variantmeshdefinition file belongs to (and these exist in the VariantMeshDefinitions folder).
    Once you sort out what unit has the zoom out bug, you want to right click and open it up (alternatively for lengthy editing extract it and open with notepad or notepad++ :put it back in by 'add file' command later you'll figure it out). Then, whenever a model is defined like this:
    <VARIANT_MESH model="variantmeshes\_variantmodels\man\armour/gondor_steel_gauntlets.rigid_model_v2" />
    ^that is an example from what i am working on,
    you edit the text and change it to this:
    <VARIANT_MESH model="variantmeshes\_variantmodels\man\armour/gondor_steel_gauntlets.rigid_model_v2" imposter_model="VariantMeshes/_VariantModels/man/armour/gondor_steel_gauntlets.rigid_model_v2" />
    Yep you just have to add the extra bit at the end of the line. Make sure that imposter_model path is the same as the path defined on the left because what you are essentially saying is what model it is going to use up close on the left, and what model it will use when you zoom out far on the right (the bit after imposter_model=).
    Once you are done, remember to save Sometimes pack file manager has problem saving where files disappear, so make backups and watch out if that happens.
    If you don't understand anyting let me know.

Hey man ! wow thanks a lot for actually replying ! I honestly thought no one would even bother ! lol so basically all the units in the mod have this issue.
    OK so, I'm not sure I'm doing it right but I'll list by steps what I exactly did.

1- Opened pack file manager 'Duh" ! xP
    2- File > Open CA Pack > chose the mod > loaded files. or load them through game directory
    3- go to the variantmeshdefinition file or tab
    4- choose the unit and just edit the text there in the same order you told me to, adding imposter_model="Variantmeshes...etc
    5- save

nothing changed lol. what am I doing wrong.

Sorry dude but I have 0 knowledge in modding and

Deleted
    Last edited by Hyrus; April 28, 2017 at 06:22 PM.

Deleted.
    Last edited by Hyrus; April 28, 2017 at 06:26 PM.

Meh, i've tried it all. nothing changes.

ill copy paste what I did

<VARIANT_MESH> <SLOT name="skin" >
    <VARIANT_MESH model="variantmeshes\_variantmodels\man\skin/att_eastern_06_skin01_cut_2.rigid_model_v2" imposter_model="variantmeshes\_variantmodels\man\skin/att_eastern_06_skin01_cut_2.rigid_model_v2" />
    <VARIANT_MESH model="variantmeshes\_variantmodels\man\skin/att_eastern_05_cut_2.rigid_model_v2" imposter_model="variantmeshes\_variantmodels\man\skin/att_eastern_05_cut_2.rigid_model_v2" />
    <VARIANT_MESH model="variantmeshes\_variantmodels\man\skin/att_eastern_04_skin01_cut_2.rigid_model_v2" imposter_model="variantmeshes\_variantmodels\man\skin/att_eastern_04_skin01_cut_2.rigid_model_v2" />
    <VARIANT_MESH model="variantmeshes\_variantmodels\man\skin/att_eastern_03_skin01_cut_2.rigid_model_v2" imposter_model="variantmeshes\_variantmodels\man\skin/att_eastern_03_skin01_cut_2.rigid_model_v2" />
    <VARIANT_MESH model="variantmeshes\_variantmodels\man\skin/att_eastern_02_skin01_cut_2.rigid_model_v2" imposter_model="variantmeshes\_variantmodels\man\skin/att_eastern_02_skin01_cut_2.rigid_model_v2" />
    <VARIANT_MESH model="variantmeshes\_variantmodels\man\skin/att_eastern_06_skin01_cut_2.rigid_model_v2" imposter_model="variantmeshes\_variantmodels\man\skin/att_eastern_06_skin01_cut_2.rigid_model_v2" />
    </SLOT>
    <SLOT name="facial_hair" >
    <VARIANT_MESH model="variantmeshes\_variantmodels\man\hair_beards\beards/sibil_eastern_black.rigid_model_v2" imposter_model="variantmeshes\_variantmodels\man\hair_beards\beards/sibil_eastern_black.rigid_model_v2" />
    </SLOT>
    <SLOT name="props" >
    <VARIANT_MESH model="variantmeshes\_variantmodels\man\helmets/_croc_helmet_sassanian_spangenhelm_fancy_for_open_coif_1.rigid_model_v2" imposter_model="variantmeshes\_variantmodels\man\helmets/_croc_helmet_sassanian_spangenhelm_fancy_for_open_coif_1.rigid_model_v2" />
    <VARIANT_MESH model="variantmeshes\_variantmodels\man\helmets/_croc_helmet_sassanian_spangenhelm_poor_for_open_coif_1.rigid_model_v2" imposter_model="variantmeshes\_variantmodels\man\helmets/_croc_helmet_sassanian_spangenhelm_poor_for_open_coif_1.rigid_model_v2" />
    </SLOT>
    <SLOT name="helmets" >
    <VARIANT_MESH model="variantmeshes\_variantmodels\man\helmets/_croc_helmet_sassanian_aventail_cloth_1.rigid_model_v2" imposter_model="variantmeshes\_variantmodels\man\helmets/_croc_helmet_sassanian_aventail_cloth_1.rigid_model_v2" />
    <VARIANT_MESH model="variantmeshes\_variantmodels\man\helmets/_fote_coif_avetis_face_naked_mail_ca.rigid_model_v2" imposter_model="variantmeshes\_variantmodels\man\helmets/_fote_coif_avetis_face_naked_mail_ca.rigid_model_v2" />
    </SLOT>
    <SLOT name="clothing" >
    <VARIANT_MESH model="variantmeshes\_variantmodels\man\tunics/__fote_armor_mail_eastern_persian_open_robe_bordered_01.rigid_model_v2" imposter_model="variantmeshes\_variantmodels\man\tunics/__fote_armor_mail_eastern_persian_open_robe_bordered_01.rigid_model_v2" />
    <VARIANT_MESH model="variantmeshes\_variantmodels\man\tunics/__fote_armor_mail_eastern_persian_open_robe_bordered_02.rigid_model_v2" imposter_model="variantmeshes\_variantmodels\man\tunics/__fote_armor_mail_eastern_persian_open_robe_bordered_02.rigid_model_v2" />
    <VARIANT_MESH model="variantmeshes\_variantmodels\man\tunics/__fote_armor_mail_eastern_persian_open_robe_bordered_03.rigid_model_v2" imposter_model="variantmeshes\_variantmodels\man\tunics/__fote_armor_mail_eastern_persian_open_robe_bordered_03.rigid_model_v2" />
    </SLOT>
    <SLOT name="cloaks" >
    <VARIANT_MESH model="variantmeshes\_variantmodels\man\trousers/_croc_trousers_persian_boots_4_baggy.rigid_model_v2" imposter_model="variantmeshes\_variantmodels\man\trousers/_croc_trousers_persian_boots_4_baggy.rigid_model_v2" />
    <VARIANT_MESH model="variantmeshes\_variantmodels\man\trousers/_croc_trousers_persian_boots_3_baggy.rigid_model_v2" imposter_model="variantmeshes\_variantmodels\man\trousers/_croc_trousers_persian_boots_3_baggy.rigid_model_v2" />
    <VARIANT_MESH model="variantmeshes\_variantmodels\man\trousers/_croc_trousers_persian_boots_2_baggy.rigid_model_v2" imposter_model="variantmeshes\_variantmodels\man\trousers/_croc_trousers_persian_boots_2_baggy.rigid_model_v2" />
    <VARIANT_MESH model="variantmeshes\_variantmodels\man\trousers/_croc_trousers_persian_boots_1_baggy.rigid_model_v2" imposter_model="variantmeshes\_variantmodels\man\trousers/_croc_trousers_persian_boots_1_baggy.rigid_model_v2" />
    <VARIANT_MESH model="variantmeshes\_variantmodels\man\trousers/_croc_trousers_persian_boots_1.rigid_model_v2" />
    </SLOT>
    <SLOT name="trousers" >
    <VARIANT_MESH model="variantmeshes\_variantmodels\man\tunics/__fote_armor_mail_eastern_persian_open_robe_bordered_sleeves.rigid_model_v2" imposter_model="variantmeshes\_variantmodels\man\tunics/__fote_armor_mail_eastern_persian_open_robe_bordered_sleeves.rigid_model_v2" />
    </SLOT>
    <SLOT name="greaves" />
    <SLOT name="shield" attach_point="weapon_03" >
    <VARIANT_MESH model="variantmeshes\_variantmodels\man\shield/lob_shield_spara_a.rigid_model_v2" imposter_model="variantmeshes\_variantmodels\man\shield/lob_shield_spara_a.rigid_model_v2" />
    <VARIANT_MESH model="variantmeshes\_variantmodels\man\shield/lob_shield_spara_b.rigid_model_v2" imposter_model="variantmeshes\_variantmodels\man\shield/lob_shield_spara_b.rigid_model_v2" />
    <VARIANT_MESH_REFERENCE definition="variantmeshes\_variantmodels\man\shield/_croc_shield_sassanid_curved_spara_standard.VariantMeshDefinition" imposter_model="variantmeshes\_variantmodels\man\shield/_croc_shield_sassanid_curved_spara_standard.VariantMeshDefinition" />
    </SLOT>
    <SLOT name="weapon_1" />
    <SLOT name="weapon_2" attach_point="weapon_02" >
    <VARIANT_MESH_REFERENCE definition="variantmeshes\_variantmodels\man\weapons/att_sword_east.VariantMeshDefinition" imposter_model="variantmeshes\_variantmodels\man\weapons/att_sword_east.VariantMeshDefinition "/>
    </SLOT>
    <SLOT name="weapon_3" />
    <SLOT name="weapon_4" />
    </VARIANT_MESH>

First <VARIANT_MESH> <SLOT name="skin" > slot skin should be on a second line.
    Did you put this new one back into the .pack file? Or when (if) you did export it out of the pack, did you leave the .variantmeshdefinition in your data folders without the changes? Because any files in the attila total war/data/... folders will overwrite any mod files. And as safety precaution, before you put ur edited version back into the .pack delete the old version of the .variantmeshdefinition you are playing around with, and once the name becomes greyed out, import the new file in.
    <VARIANT_MESH> <SLOT name="skin" ><VARIANT_MESH> <SLOT name="skin" ><VARIANT_MESH> <SLOT name="skin" >

I read your earlier message more- can you take a few more screenshots and see if any parts that have imposter models on them can be seen from afar?
    I think your edits are alright (?) haven't looked too detailedly. The other problem could be that he stuffed up lods.

Man I think his modding is not even done right, I cant even find some of the names of the units in the pack file manager, he might have not named them properly, I dont know. and yea some of the units that dont fade away when zoomed out dont seem to have imposter models on them. It's a mess and confusing.

Quote Originally Posted by Marshal Cathrandir of Gondor View Post
    I read your earlier message more- can you take a few more screenshots and see if any parts that have imposter models on them can be seen from afar?
    I think your edits are alright (?) haven't looked too detailedly. The other problem could be that he stuffed up lods.
    What do you mean he stuffed up lods ? is there anyway to fix this ?

UPDATE !!

After trying imposter models for several units I have realised that some work and other dont. why do you think is the reason for some units not accepting the imposter models ?

Commissar Caligula_'s Avatar The Ecstasy of Potatoes

Quote Originally Posted by Hyrus View Post
    UPDATE !!

After trying imposter models for several units I have realised that some work and other dont. why do you think is the reason for some units not accepting the imposter models ?
    You may be attempting to apply the imposter models to VMDs (variantmeshdefinitions) within your VMD. How are you applying the imposters, via editing the notepad directly or via the Variant Editor? If you're using the Variant Editor it's much easier. If for example you're adding a shield, can you expand that shield? Eg does the shield have a boss attached to it which you can't remove? If so, that means it is a VMD itself, so you'll have to track down the original VMD and edit the imposter into it.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Last edited by Commissar Caligula_; May 18, 2017 at 09:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Caligula the Mad View Post
    You may be attempting to apply the imposter models to VMDs (variantmeshdefinitions) within your VMD. How are you applying the imposters, via editing the notepad directly or via the Variant Editor? If you're using the Variant Editor it's much easier. If for example you're adding a shield, can you expand that shield? Eg does the shield have a boss attached to it which you can't remove? If so, that means it is a VMD itself, so you'll have to track down the original VMD and edit the imposter into it.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Ah I appreciate the help, I cant believe im going through all this just becuz I like this mod xD. anyways ill download this new software and try to learn on it abit. I rly have no clue what im doing but i'll try looking at tutorials

Quote Originally Posted by Hyrus View Post
    Ah I appreciate the help, I cant believe im going through all this just becuz I like this mod xD. anyways ill download this new software and try to learn on it abit. I rly have no clue what im doing but i'll try looking at tutorials
    The VariantEditor is accessed via Steam - Tools. It's actually called the Assembly Kit, but that comes with 2 tools. The Variant Editor which is an easy way to make the variantmeshdefinitions for units, and Dave which is used to edit database stuff.

and yea im using packfile manager, notepad edit copy/paste xD

Quote Originally Posted by Caligula the Mad View Post
    The VariantEditor is accessed via Steam - Tools. It's actually called the Assembly Kit, but that comes with 2 tools. The Variant Editor which is an easy way to make the variantmeshdefinitions for units, and Dave which is used to edit database stuff.
    How do I import/export units from an existing mod ?

Update !

Ok So opened a unit in both Variant editor and Pack file manager, and saw both including an imposter model, yet still the problem is not resolved. Why?

No idea why. That was my only idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Caligula View Post
    No idea why. That was my only idea.
    Does the Decal diffuse have any effect on this ? if it was missing ?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast