Thread: Retrain units everywhere[only High Elves]

Default Retrain units everywhere[only High Elves]

Hi, I tweaked a little the data and I made High Elven units to be retrained everywhere since I hate to go all the way back to one of my settlements when my units get some damage just to retrain them.

The units will be retrainable in every settlement that has walls(no matter the level of walls) since they are the core buildings of a settlement.

Instructions:

Simply place this file export_descr_buildings.txt in your med2tw/mods/Third_Age_3/data. Replace the older one. Make a backup of the vanilla file for your safety, though for me it works fine. Made for TATW 3.2 patch. Save compatible.

Notes:

This will also significantly increase the unit replenishment rate and will make the game much easier.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by FoxXeL; April 29, 2017 at 02:08 AM.

Default Re: Retrain units everywhere[only High Elves]

Good job.

♔atthias♔'s Avatar dutch speaking
    Citizen

yeah great job
    Rise of Mordor 3D Modelers Wanted
    Total War - Rise of Mordor
    Are you a 3D Environment and Character artist, or a Character Animator?

If yes, then the Rise of Mordor team linked above is looking for you!
    Massive Overhaul Submod Units!
    D you want some units back in MOS 1.7? Install this mod http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...n-1-1-RELEASED
    It adds back units who were deleted from the campaign in MOS 1.7, namely the Winged Swordsmen, the Citadel Guard Archers and the Gondor Dismounted Bodyguard.

Under the proud patronage of
    Frunk of the house of Siblesz

Quote Originally Posted by FoxXeL View Post
    Hi, I tweaked a little the data and I made High Elven units to be retrained everywhere since I hate to go all the way back to one of my settlements when my units get some damage just to retrain them.

The units will be retrainable in every settlement that has walls(no matter the level of walls) since they are the core buildings of a settlement.

Instructions:

Simply place this file export_descr_buildings.txt in your med2tw/mods/Third_Age_3/data. Replace the older one. Make a backup of the vanilla file for your safety, though for me it works fine. Made for TATW 3.2 patch. Save compatible.
    Was this an issue with the most recent version of TATW? I recall a recent campaign with HE (TATW 3.2 I think) where i was able to retrain my HE units so long as I had enough elven culture in the city that i conquered and settled. When did this retraining become an issue?

Quote Originally Posted by Patronus86 View Post
    Was this an issue with the most recent version of TATW? I recall a recent campaign with HE (TATW 3.2 I think) where i was able to retrain my HE units so long as I had enough elven culture in the city that i conquered and settled. When did this retraining become an issue?
    You can retrain your units only in settlements where you have the building required to recruit them(and the amount of culture required, of course). With this little tweak you will be able to retrain troops in every city, no matter if you have the buildings required or the amount of culture required. You will need to have at least the first level of walls though, because I tweaked the walls' stats and now they make units retrainable. Still, it's pretty easy to get walls, it's the core building of a settlement. Only for High Elves, because:

1. This is the race I play now
    2. High Elves have few units in comparison to other races and it was easier.
    3. Each soldier type means an added stat to the wall. That means I added 14 new stats for each level of wall
    because there are 14 types of soldiers for High Elves. If I would make every unit in the game retrainable requiring only walls that would mean each level of wall would have a huge number of stats and that may lead to poor performance on lower pcs/laptops or even crash the game. I am not sure though, it may work fine.

I made this because I've played newer total war games and it was a pain to get back to the old game mechanics where I have to go back to a base to retrain my units or to bring some extra units to merge with the damaged ones. This tweak makes TATW more enjoyable for me and I thought I could share it with others.

If someone is interested, I could take some time to make other factions retrainable.
    Last edited by FoxXeL; April 28, 2017 at 04:35 PM.

Withwnar's Avatar Script To The Waist

Nice. Thanks for sharing.

However, maybe you're already aware of this but I think folks should be warned: it increases the pool replenishment rates everywhere. HE units may now be recruited more often.

e.g. Imaldris Riders are recruited by stables with a replenishment rate of 0.07...

Code:
    recruit_pool "Imladris Riders"  0   0.07   1  0  requires factions { egypt, }  and hidden_resource rivendell
    ...which means 1 new unit available every ~14 turns.

But your walls give a further 0.99 to that rate...

Code:
    recruit_pool "Imladris Riders"    0   0.99   0.99  0  requires factions { egypt, }
    ...and rates stack, so if you have a stables then your replenishment rate in that settlement is now 0.99 + 0.07 = 1.06 --> every turn the pool increases by 1.06 units --> a new unit is available for recruitment every turn, instead of every 14 turns.

Ahhh you're right, didn't think about it. But if I would let it be 0.07 wouldn't that mean that you can retrain less units?

Yes it would. You would only get one full unit's worth of soldiers every 14 turns (in that settlement), to distribute among the units that need retraining. e.g. After 14 turns you could retrain two units that were both half empty, or four units that were all one quarter empty (three quarters full), and so on.

In any event, even 0.07 still means that you're doubling the replenishment rates in settlements where recruitment is available.

And Imladris Riders was a simple example. Another unit type might have different rates in different levels of recruitment building. So I doubt it's simply a case of matching these retraining rates to whatever the recruitment rates are.

Ideally, I suppose, these retraining recruit_pool lines should only be available in settlements where recruitment of that unit is *not* currently available. But that would be very difficult to do properly, if not impossible.

Yes, that would be ideal. Maybe someone who knows more stuff will help us all with this issue. Thank you again for noticing the replenishment rate, I don't know how I missed it. Have a good day!

E4_Mafia's Avatar Laetus

Quote Originally Posted by Withwnar View Post
    Nice. Thanks for sharing.

However, maybe you're already aware of this but I think folks should be warned: it increases the pool replenishment rates everywhere. HE units may now be recruited more often.

e.g. Imaldris Riders are recruited by stables with a replenishment rate of 0.07...

Code:
    recruit_pool "Imladris Riders"  0   0.07   1  0  requires factions { egypt, }  and hidden_resource rivendell
    ...which means 1 new unit available every ~14 turns.

But your walls give a further 0.99 to that rate...

Code:
    recruit_pool "Imladris Riders"    0   0.99   0.99  0  requires factions { egypt, }
    ...and rates stack, so if you have a stables then your replenishment rate in that settlement is now 0.99 + 0.07 = 1.06 --> every turn the pool increases by 1.06 units --> a new unit is available for recruitment every turn, instead of every 14 turns.

You said the rates increase EVERYWHERE as in all factions or as in all locations in the HE faction

All locations for HE units:
    ...everywhere. HE units may now be recruited more often.

E4_Mafia's Avatar Laetus

All locations for HE units:

Thanks, the period after everywhere threw me off, brain fart I guess