Page 9 of 113 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718193459109 ... LastLast

Thread: DaC - Official Suggestions Thread

Default Re: DaC - Official Suggestions Thread

Rohan and Khand don't get any units with stakes by design. Their armies are supposed to encourage mobility rather than digging into fixed positions (though granted Rohan tends to be better at holding a line than Khand... comparatively) and stakes would go against that.

I just have a few minor, some may say pedantic suggestions regarding the evil men. In my opinion their ui stuff is under polished and although these are only little things they add up to a major feeling of a lack of polish.
    1. Change the evil men fort men outpost to the level 1 vanilla middle-eastern thieves guild; the current one that applies to all human factions is far too European for the evil men and the ui I suggested is not currently used anywhere and can pass for a basic outpost
    2. Change the ui of the warriors guild of the evil men to the middle-eastern vanilla ui; the current anno 1404 one is far far too European
    3. Rhun's merchant guild is just the Anno 1404 European marketplace and is really weird as not only is it too European it is also not even a guild, it is a plaza; my suggestion is to change it to the vanilla middle-eastern merchants guild
    4. Please change Khand's brotherhood halls to something more middle-eastern; the current 'high-tech' (Relative to the rest of Khand) European buildings stick out like a sore thumb; in fact they are cringe worthy in my opinion
    5. The Horse Breeders guild should get a more fitting middle-eastern ui (Perhaps the vanilla one...) when the Evil Men build it
    6. The captain's strategic model for Rhun should have the red tassels on his helmet removed so there is larger difference between him and the general
    7. In my opinion in 2.0, seeing as you play as the Black Serpent Clan for Harad, your leader should be Suladan (http://lotr.wikia.com/wiki/Sulad%C3%A2n) a games workshop character who was known as serpant lord and may have been the Black Serpent Theodan killed; in any case he is more iconic for me than the current leader who I feel is far too obscure compared to Suladan
    8. Give either both Hasharii units, or just the archer variant the soundset of Saleme of the video game of War of the Ring; I have always liked the interpretation of the hasharii either being all female or a majority of them being such, as to me it really adds to the harsh tribe like theme of Harad; every man, woman and child is ready to fight Gondor and defend their homeland.

On a final note, not a suggestion per say, but considering that Bree, Khand, Harad, Rhun, the ND and Imladris are all getting large updates with 2.0, is there any other factions we as are community think should be looked at after these are done? I'm thinking Angmar, Ered Luin and either all the wildmen or just the VoA deserve similar updates.
    All your words are but to say: you are a woman, and your part is in the house. But when the men have died in battle and honour, you have leave to be burned in the house, for the men will need it no more. But I am of the House of Eorl and not a serving-woman. I can ride and wield blade, and I do not fear either pain or death.

But no living man am I! You look upon a woman. Éowyn I am, Éomund's daughter. You stand between me and my lord and kin. Begone, if you be not deathless! For living or dark undead, I will smite you, if you touch him.

My avatar is Romana from Doctor Who, one of my favorite characters in all of fiction

Quote Originally Posted by Link12 View Post
    I just have a few minor, some may say pedantic suggestions regarding the evil men. In my opinion their ui stuff is under polished and although these are only little things they add up to a major feeling of a lack of polish.
    1. Change the evil men fort men outpost to the level 1 vanilla middle-eastern thieves guild; the current one that applies to all human factions is far too European for the evil men and the ui I suggested is not currently used anywhere and can pass for a basic outpost
    2. Change the ui of the warriors guild of the evil men to the middle-eastern vanilla ui; the current anno 1404 one is far far too European
    3. Rhun's merchant guild is just the Anno 1404 European marketplace and is really weird as not only is it too European it is also not even a guild, it is a plaza; my suggestion is to change it to the vanilla middle-eastern merchants guild
    4. Please change Khand's brotherhood halls to something more middle-eastern; the current 'high-tech' (Relative to the rest of Khand) European buildings stick out like a sore thumb; in fact they are cringe worthy in my opinion
    5. The Horse Breeders guild should get a more fitting middle-eastern ui (Perhaps the vanilla one...) when the Evil Men build it
    6. The captain's strategic model for Rhun should have the red tassels on his helmet removed so there is larger difference between him and the general
    7. In my opinion in 2.0, seeing as you play as the Black Serpent Clan for Harad, your leader should be Suladan (http://lotr.wikia.com/wiki/Sulad%C3%A2n) a games workshop character who was known as serpant lord and may have been the Black Serpent Theodan killed; in any case he is more iconic for me than the current leader who I feel is far too obscure compared to Suladan
    8. Give either both Hasharii units, or just the archer variant the soundset of Saleme of the video game of War of the Ring; I have always liked the interpretation of the hasharii either being all female or a majority of them being such, as to me it really adds to the harsh tribe like theme of Harad; every man, woman and child is ready to fight Gondor and defend their homeland.

On a final note, not a suggestion per say, but considering that Bree, Khand, Harad, Rhun, the ND and Imladris are all getting large updates with 2.0, is there any other factions we as are community think should be looked at after these are done? I'm thinking Angmar, Ered Luin and either all the wildmen or just the VoA deserve similar updates.
    1. I would agree with that
    2. Do not really care
    3. I actually like the current one better as it fits more into the tribe theme, maybe rename it somehow, to represent the UI better.
    4,5 I do not ave a problem with the current ones.
    6. I support that
    7. You said that a lot already, I still do not care how he is called, as it isn't mentioned in the books or movie.
    8. I am indifferent. I would need to try it out to see if I like it.

I would say Ered Luin could use the improvement the most, as it is always the same linear campaign, kill Angmar, kill Misty Mountains, do what you want, unless you attack the good nations or stay in your homeland.
    Vale of Anduin could benefit from an improvement, but I think enedwaith and Dunland already have some feature, even if the rise of Dunland script will be taken away.
    I think Angmar is not that high on my list for improvemets as they are already a fun campaign and one that has replay value.
    But I think Dale could benefit from an update. Rohan might, but it isn't necessary for them, all other factions are quit well already.

I am interested to hear what Imladris will get as an update.

I suggestion I have that would apply to all Dwarfen nations. I suggestion is that the can elect a High King and unit under a single Dwarfen Banner, with the removal of the ents there is a spot for the possible high king ship and the reunited kingdom could be reuse to some part.

Reqirements
    All Dwarfen Nations need to be alive
    All of the starting territories of the Misty Mountain, Ered Luin, Khazad Dum needs to be in dwarfen lands. As well as the iron hills, erebor the big settlements of Angmar.
    The Dwarfs need to not be at war.
    Important dwarfen settlements as Gundabad, Khazad Dum Erebor and other need to have a high enough culture.

The event for unification would only trigger for the nation with the highest point (having most of the important dwarfen settlements).

The high kingdom would have access to an additional building an one special unit, as well as a mixture of the units, maybe with AoR restrictions (Ered Luin in eriador, Ereborian in Rhovanion and Khazad Dum in the misty mountains and the south).

Second suggestion
    Give the dwarfs a special building to build at the Hornburg which they can build giving them access to guards of the cave and riddermark heavy cavalry, to kind of say that the dwarfs have an important outpot there and will work with the local humans and they like the heavy axe of the heavy cavalry. Most likely is that you retake the Hornburg from Isengard so the locals would be willing to help you.
    Last edited by Lord_Imrahil; May 15, 2017 at 08:26 AM.

Are there any plans on improving the sound effects in DAC? With sound effects i mean betters sound when soldiers march, when swords clash in the battle and when the soldiers are fighting or charging? I think MOS had a great addition when you could hear the units yelling while in the fray. For example when you zoomed in into Rangers of Ithilien they were using voices from BFME 2 game, while firing their arows. It seems like a minnor thing, but it really adds to the feeling of the game.
    The words of a banished king "I swear revenge"
    Filled with anger aflamed our hearts
    Full of hate full of pride
    We screamed for revenge

@Lord_Imrahil
    I did warn you I was being pedantic. I can assure you I only brought up Suladan again as my post concerned the evil men and thus I reasoned it was appropriate for my suggestion to be repeated for uniformity.

Additionally what about changing Rhun's titles to Dragon-Emperor and Dragon-Knight for the faction leader and the general respectivly. These are used by MERP and the LotR Strategy Game I believe and I feel they not only fit the Dragon clan of Rhun better than Khan, I also feel as Khan is also used by Khand it feels a bit boring for two factions to use it as a title.

Finally, regarding Ered Luin why don't we play on the fact that many dwarves of the Blue Mountains would have left the mountains for Erebor and hence they are rather depopulated; ergo under player control you would literally only start with Thorin's Halls. Additionally, to reflect that there are now many abandoned Dwarf strongholds I propose when Ered Luin is under player control (Perhaps this could also apply when Lindon is under player control) a new NPC only faction called the "Western Tribes" (Being a copy of the Misty Mountains in their roster and buildings) could take control of all of the dwarven settlements bar the one you start with; with the reasoning that these are goblins that have emerged to occupy the mountains. Perhaps there could also be some sort of link to the Dwarfs of the First Age?
    All your words are but to say: you are a woman, and your part is in the house. But when the men have died in battle and honour, you have leave to be burned in the house, for the men will need it no more. But I am of the House of Eorl and not a serving-woman. I can ride and wield blade, and I do not fear either pain or death.

But no living man am I! You look upon a woman. Éowyn I am, Éomund's daughter. You stand between me and my lord and kin. Begone, if you be not deathless! For living or dark undead, I will smite you, if you touch him.

My avatar is Romana from Doctor Who, one of my favorite characters in all of fiction

I think getting a new title for Rhun is a good idea, but I would prefer Dragon-Lord and Dragon knight as I feel that Emperor just doesn't fit that well for a leader if a tribe and Rhun is to small to be an empire.

Your idea for Ered Luin, kind of feel forced. Just reduce the starting settlements and get some extra goblins to fit doesn't really make the gameplay more unique. It would still be the same linear gameplay, just slightly slower due to you having to kill the western tribes first. And as you would likely fight Midty Mountains anyway, it just feels unecessary to add this.
    Last edited by Lord_Imrahil; May 17, 2017 at 02:04 AM.

Another reason why I suggested Emperor is because I believe the title is not used anywhere else in the game, and I think if any one had the arrogance to call themselves as such it would be Rhun; after all in most games Rhun does become an empire stretching all over Rhovanion. Besides just because the leader calls himself an Emperor does not mean he is actually one, he merely has the arrogance to say he is. If there was a way to dynamically change titles of the faction leader during the game I would love to have it progress from Lord to Emperor otherwise I feel Emperor would work best for the whole game.

I'm just throwing ideas at the wall regarding Ered Luin, however I do think if they get a script the depopulation that the reclamation of Erebor caused in Ered Luin should be part of it. I think because of how isolated Ered Luin is it is hard to come up with ideas that work for them.

If changing the title would be possible by a script, I would support that. Maybe starting with dragon-chieftain going to dragon-lord when he units half of the tribes and gets Dragon-Emperor when being in the top 3 of the factions.

Your idea of makeing a reference to the first age dwarfs gave me an idea. Why not give a script to them where thye either can decided to declare war on the gigh elves as retribution for the first age (do not know the name of the incident) and blaming the leves for the destruction for Veleriand and the Dwarfen cities there, as they made the silmarils and asked for help of the Valar. If they dicide to go to war, they get either a great unit, if a unit space can be spared or either a level 4 mines or another building, maybe for population growth.
    If the Dwarfs decide to go with the Elves they get some elven units they can train. Like one archer and one cavalry from Lindon. And they would get another event shortly before mithlond will be attacked by corsairs if they want to send help, with if they do they get an additional unit from the rlves they can train, or slightly incresed recruitment.

I'm think I have an idea for Ered Luin that may work.
    When playing as Ered Luin, the player begins with just Thorin's Halls; for the great hosts that once lived in the Blue Mountains have departed to return to their homeland of Erebor. With this rapid depopulation the remaining dwarfs, the weak, the old, those who do not hold good intentions, and those who have always lived in the Blue Mountains, have had to fall back to Thorin's Halls as they lack the people to hold the other settlements against the hordes of goblins that have arisen, sensing the weakness caused by the departure of Dwarfs to Erebor. Hence, all the settlements in Ered Luin bar Thorin's Halls have been claimed by powerful rebel stacks, and with this loss the Dwarfs have lost the capacity to recurit much of their roster. Hence, to unlock their roster Ered Luin has to be reclaimed and units will be unlocked by capturing settlements within Ered Luin.
    The purpose of this is to slow down Ered Luin's game and so give evil nations some more time to build up.
    Once Ered Luin is united however, and it is turn 60 or 90 (Whatever works better for gameplay) a messenger from Mordor will arrive claiming, that Mordor has recognized the might of Ered Luin, as shown through their reconquest, and offers to return the 3 Dwarven rings along with showing them secrets of the first age that lie within Ered Luin, by ordering the goblins to allow the Dwarfs to reach the lost cities, in return for Ered Luin's friendship. This decision is inspired by the messenger that Gloin mentions at the Council of Elrond.
    If you chose to side with Mordor my thinking is that:
    -> You unlock a new blacksmith tier
    -> You unlock a new tier of mines, using the knowledge you have found from the lost cities
    -> You unlock a new unit or two themed around the first age
    -> Your culture changes to servant of Melkor (Thus allowing you to join invasions)
    -> An orc general spawns at your capital with the 3 dwarven rings that you can transfer to generals
    -> You gain the ability to recruit limited number of cave trolls with an ered luin skin, to show that now that Ered Luin is a friend of Sauron they have been granted the ability to tame trolls by him
    -> You become allied to Mordor
    -> Perhaps all units could get a new visual armour upgrade via the new tier that adds the Eye of Sauron to their armour in some place?
    Essentially you become Dark Dwarfs

If you refuse the messenger and remain 'good' Lindon is impressed by your dedication and thus you gain the ability to build boats and recruit some of their troops along with a spawn of a Lindon army with a general
    Essentially the choice is between money or troops as the Mordor path would only give you 2-3 new units while Lindon's path would give you 5-6 as well as the ability to build boats, meaning a Lindon Ered Luin player could change up the campaign by attacking other factions using boats, such as Isengard, Dunland and Endewaith (If they go evil) or even Harad and Umbar, thus breaking the current static nature the campaign as you have an additional potential front rather than just the long slog east via land to fight Angmar + MM.
    I feel Erebor does not need a script as it has enough campaign variety in terms of its enemies and it would be good in my eyes to have a Dwarf realm that does not have to deal with scripts, this being that faction's unique trait.
    Last edited by Link12; May 17, 2017 at 02:43 AM.

When playing as Ered Luin, the player begins with just Thorin's Halls; for the great hosts that once lived in the Blue Mountains have departed to return to their homeland of Erebor. With this rapid depopulation the remaining dwarfs, the weak, the old, those who do not hold good intentions, and those who have always lived in the Blue Mountains, have had to fall back to Thorin's Halls as they lack the people to hold the other settlements against the hordes of goblins that have arisen, sensing the weakness caused by the departure of Dwarfs to Erebor. Hence, all the settlements in Ered Luin bar Thorin's Halls have been claimed by powerful rebel stacks, and with this loss the Dwarfs have lost the capacity to recurit much of their roster. Hence, to unlock their roster Ered Luin has to be reclaimed and units will be unlocked by capturing settlements within Ered Luin.
    The purpose of this is to slow down Ered Luin's game and so give evil nations some more time to build up.
    Once Ered Luin is united however, and it is turn 60 or 90 (Whatever works better for gameplay) a messenger from Mordor will arrive claiming, that Mordor has recognized the might of Ered Luin, as shown through their reconquest, and offers to return the 3 Dwarven rings along with showing them secrets of the first age that lie within Ered Luin, by ordering the goblins to allow the Dwarfs to reach the lost cities, in return for Ered Luin's friendship. This decision is inspired by the messenger that Gloin mentions at the Council of Elrond.
    -> You unlock a new tier of mines, using the knowledge you have found from the lost cities
    -> Your culture changes to servant of Melkor (Thus allowing you to join invasions)
    -> An orc general spawns at your capital with the 3 dwarven rings that you can transfer to generals
    -> You gain the ability to recruit limited number of cave trolls with an ered luin skin, to show that now that Ered Luin is a friend of Sauron they have been granted the ability to tame trolls by him
    -> Perhaps all units could get a new visual armour upgrade via the new tier that adds the Eye of Sauron to their armour in some place?

If you refuse the messenger and remain 'good' Lindon is impressed by your dedication and thus you gain the ability to build boats and recruit some of their troops along with a spawn of a Lindon army with a general
    Essentially the choice is between money or troops as the Mordor path would only give you 2-3 new units while Lindon's path would give you 5-6 as well as the ability to build boats, meaning a Lindon Ered Luin player could change up the campaign by attacking other factions using boats, such as Isengard, Dunland and Endewaith (If they go evil) or even Harad and Umbar, thus breaking the current static nature the campaign as you have an additional potential front rather than just the long slog east via land to fight Angmar + MM.
    I feel Erebor does not need a script as it has enough campaign variety in terms of its enemies and it would be good in my eyes to have a Dwarf realm that does not have to deal with scripts, this being that faction's unique trait.

That is a really cool idea!

Well it is inspired by the messenger in the books, only with the fact that Khazad-Dum would not interest Ered Luin so they get offered a way to the lost dwarf cities of the first age instead.

I like the idea of being able to excavate Nogrod and Belegost for extra units/buffs, however tying that to serving Melkor who ruined them in the first place just feels wrong on multiple levels. However the rest i can get behind.

@Impaller
    Ered Luin would excavate and search through the cities themselves, it is just that I would expect they would be infested with vast hordes of goblins (Far to many to fight) and it is Sauron who orders the goblins to allow the Dwarfs to the city and tells them the path. The approach I have taken is that these cities were never meant to be found again, for they were cast down by the Valar into the ocean at the end of the First Age, and it is only through Sauron's aid that the Valar's will can be broken and the cities be found again.

@Link12

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Firstly, we are at max capacity for regions so you'll need to offer which settlements you think should be sacrificed to allow for these two lost cities.

Secondly, I can't think of a way to "hide" settlements thus allowing for "excavation" so I am 99.99% certain that feature wouldn't be possible. You'd just have to have the settlements placed in the mountain range with their own region each and you'd have to find some way to block access to them from the mainland. So either have AI full stacks block a 1x1 mountain pass leading to the settlements or think of another way but I can't think of one myself. While I think it would be cool in a way having lost Dwarven cities, the fact that the game's engine wasn't made to allow for such flexible features it would just break the immersion for me personally thus essentially nullifying the work needed to be done to implement the "lost" settlements in the first place. Plus, these two lost settlements would most likely have small region sizes and I'd rather see us use any extra region slots (which we don't have) to break up large-sized regions like we have done for the past few regions that were implemented the past couple months.

Thirdly, I know the Dwarves went to Imladris to seek council in regards to the offer to return their rings but honestly I personally don't see the Dwarves forsaking their entire history where their brethren and precious Dwarf-women and children were slain by orcs and the evil forces to then join the evil side.

---

As far as your first paragraph of suggestions are concerned, I'll have to think it over some more since I just woke up and am still drinking my coffee but I am in favor of changing up Ered Luin to be a bit more unique and I do like the idea of having to rebuild and reconquer rather than start from a comfortable position. Plus, the fact that Angmar is a decent distance away isn't going to pressure new/less experienced players like the Khazad-Dum start would.

Maybe instead of "hidden" provinces, you unlock special buildings within a few Ered Luin regions if you side with Mordor? The "what-if" scenario of Dwarves accepting the rings of power and allying themselves to Sauron in return for a piece of their old legacy from the first age is really interesting, and would shake up what is otherwise a very boring corner of the map.

In my mind, the event would occur after you have reclaimed some territories designated as core Ered Luin and the barracks event has passed. There could be three choices:
    1) Side with Sauron. You would break all pre-existing alliances and ally with Mordor (evil nations you were at war with should be willing to make peace, as well) and you become a follower of Melkor. You would then get the spawned orc general with the three rings as well as access to even more advanced smithing buildings and maybe an auxiliary barracks with a couple of hypothetical Suaron-based units. The main benefits, though, would be the rings, the smithing (signifying a return to first-age grandeur), some kind of faction-wide growth bonus (since you are no longer fighting orcs everywhere), and some better mining buildings. But, obviously you would take a huge relationship hit with good factions and maybe lose access to some of the units in your regular roster.

2) Side with Elves. You would make peace with any good factions you were at war with and ally with Lindon/Imladris if you were not already. You would get access to some kind of Elven Haven that gives access to superior ships and maybe some minor elf units. You would also get a huge bonus to trade income due to improved ships. Maybe there could also be some negative effect to balance these benefits out?

If it is possible to make a third choice, it could be to just stay true to dwarven ways and the game would play out normally.

If possible, it would be cool to make AI Ered Luin pick at random, or give a Lindon or Mordor player the opportunity to influence Ered Luin's decision.

@TheEliteDwarf
    I'm not suggesting new regions at all... Where did you get that idea? All the 'lost cities' would be would be an event popup that notifies you have ventured into them and have discovered lost secrets that allow you to build the new tier of mines and blacksmith; they would not appear outside of the events on the map at all, only through events.
    In regards to your concerns based on lore, we know some Dwarfs have made allies with goblins and orcs before and I am simply suggesting that is happens again. In addition there is a reason why I said "the weak, the old, those who do not hold good intentions, and those who have always lived in the Blue Mountains"; because I am trying to imply Ered Luin also becomes jealous of Erebor's might and power, because sure initially the reconquest of Erebor is a cause for celebration but as time passes and the Dwarfs of Ered Luin see their home decline in status and they have to withdraw from some holds due to the depopulation caused by Erebor's restoration it is my belief they would grow jealous and this jealously would leave them open to an offer by Sauron that would restore their might and status as they would get the rings not Erebor, in addition to lost secrets that would rise them up above the other Dwarven Realms. In addition this 'choice' is based on the completely lore accurate messenger from Mordor which is a cool touch in my opinion. Also, if the player feels siding with Mordor is wrong they don't have to, but now the people who do turn on the good factions to have a fun campaign have a script that gives them bonuses for doing so; it is a cool What If that is grounded in lore.
    On a gameplay level I fear no matter how much we change up their starting conditions they will still have a boring, land based static campaign (Without turning on allies) where you attack Angmar and then the MM every time; just like Khand, who was in a similar situation as both factions are remote, they need a choice script to spice up their campaign and give them access to new enemies.
    Last edited by Link12; May 17, 2017 at 05:51 PM.

The way I saw excavation working was that they'd basically be buildings in the northern and southern sections of the mountains, the catch being that they'd both take a long time to excavate each level, everytime you finished a level a large rebel controlled army of orcs/goblins would spawn nearby. Futher you'd have to be upgrading and improving the cities this is taking place in and the deepest parts would only be accessible post barracks event.

Would this be doable?

Quote Originally Posted by Impaller View Post
    The way I saw excavation working was that they'd basically be buildings in the northern and southern sections of the mountains, the catch being that they'd both take a long time to excavate each level, everytime you finished a level a large rebel controlled army of orcs/goblins would spawn nearby. Futher you'd have to be upgrading and improving the cities this is taking place in and the deepest parts would only be accessible post barracks event.

Would this be doable?
    My thoughts on this, is that while it is a cool idea, it would take a too many building slots as DaC has less than 9 building trees left and this would use up 1-2 and I feel for something that could be purely done through a script that is too many. I also fear the script that controls stack spawns may cause a lot of lag. Out of curiosity is this feedback on my 'choice' idea, and is intended to be a part of that choice, or is it your own proposal for Ered Luin?

My idea is meant as a third option as further down the line if your idea where to be accepted i could see Saurons offer being something all Dwarves get (Erebor getting the four rings of the orocani and access to a few Rhûn units or Better relations with the Avari/Sindar improving trade/new archers&pikes, Khazad Dûm getting Durins ring and staggering amounts of wealth or access to the Smiths of Eregion and Celbebrimborian plate etc), meaning Ered luin could lose some of its new gained uniqueness, my idea then would help keep them distinguished from the other two. Id defend the excavations being buildings on the grounds that most factions already have all the buildings they need and all other unique buildings are single tear, plus the Dwarves don't really have any major building projects, unless you count building up Khazad Dûm, which feels like a bit of a let down. The armies script was purely a nod to your idea of the ruins being goblin infested, which i wouldn't mind dropping seeing as how the destruction of Nogrod and Belegost was the earthquake/flooding that happened when Beleriand was sunk, not invasion.