Page 85 of 120 FirstFirst ... 3560757677787980818283848586878889909192939495110 ... LastLast
Results 1,681 to 1,700 of 2399

Thread: DaC - Official Suggestions Thread

Default Re: DaC - Official Suggestions Thread

I think the morale of the Bree Merchant units should be normal vs poor, name one person who's clad in that kind of armor and who is protecting their livelyhood being goods they trade that would run after making contact with the enemy, they are not orcs, they are human's defending their property, they would fight just as well as any ordinary man, especially if bandits are allowed to have normal morale with normal morale response, remember they are merchants protecting their goods, goods they trade to have money to pay for food and the other things needed to survival, also they are clad in half-plate some of the strongest armor in history having armor like that gives you courage, honestly if you are trying to emphsize they are poor fighters lower their damage not the morale though.
    Supreme Commander of the Galactic Federation, Emperor of the Virtupets Empire, Star King
    Certified Genius
    M L I G: Mandy Luxe is the Greatest
    Erasiel Darkar is OP! Never will be nerfed! He is Winx

Selerz's Avatar Civis

Quote Originally Posted by jedi7000nathan View Post
    Any feedback from the team with regards to my idea in making Mazog a King, his protrait being more polished and the ancillaries for him
    The King in the North! The King in the North!!

Suspended by Request

Default Re: DaC - Bugs, Crashes and FAQ

This is from moddb:

Guest 3hours agoWhat will the new patch have next?
    new units/factions/balance changes/new voices/effects/animations/horns/ buffs/nerfs/maps/etc?
    btw if I was you I would have adjusted the fountain guards, following the book, they're should be the strongest and most expensive elite unit (at least pikemen) in the game. This is just an example, they're indeed not the only unit that should be changed.
    Will u also fix minor bugs in the game?
    Thx for the support, ur submod is insanely good and complete, very well done Brothers.

I just studied the DCI's mod and wondered about something that was one in the mod that might be feasable in DAC, is it possible for a Boldog to as a general, perhaps Gothmog is Boldog, those of you who are unaware Boldogs are fallen Maiar who have taken the form of Orcs, large orcs, is it possible one could be around as a custom general for Mordor, that might add some spice; just my opinion though, I am not suggesting their addition just wondering if they could be implamented in some form
    Supreme Commander of the Galactic Federation, Emperor of the Virtupets Empire, Star King
    Certified Genius
    M L I G: Mandy Luxe is the Greatest
    Erasiel Darkar is OP! Never will be nerfed! He is Winx

Quote Originally Posted by jedi7000nathan View Post
    I just studied the DCI's mod and wondered about something that was one in the mod that might be feasable in DAC, is it possible for a Boldog to as a general, perhaps Gothmog is Boldog, those of you who are unaware Boldogs are fallen Maiar who have taken the form of Orcs, large orcs, is it possible one could be around as a custom general for Mordor, that might add some spice; just my opinion though, I am not suggesting their addition just wondering if they could be implamented in some form
    Please, no! I am Hungarian, and "boldog" in Hungarian means "happy". I don't want to play my campaign with happy orc generals.

Suspended by Request

Default Re: DaC - Simple Question Thread

The balgrog is HIDEOUS! Please fix. (animations and appearance)

Balrog is a leftover from TATW 3.2 and afaik 1 soldier units simply don't work great and due to the Balrog crashing the game frequently, they've left him out.

Hey. I have played Dale for quite a while now, and I think that the Dalian Billman unit is obsolete.

It's niche is as an anti-heavy cav unit (having both bonus vs mount and AP), and in this role it performs admirably. One on one it fights Kamul's Shadowknights and Loke Innas Rim to a bloody stalemate for about half the price. (SoM and Rhun being Dale's natural enemies). The problem is that those are both very late game units, and by the late game Dale has better ways of dealing with them (Hearthguard, Laketown Pikes, and Barding Hirdmen) The Billman was added back when every Rhunnic character had a Loke-Innas Rim bodyguard, and those were absolutely devastating in the early-mid game. Now, however, the only heavy cav unit you are going to see before turn 100ish is going to be Kamul's personal bodyguard (unless you attake Dorwinion).

Outside of its niche, the Dalian Billman is thoroughly underwhelming. In one on one it loses to literally every melee infantry unit SoM and Rhun can field. I am not hyperbolizing here, it actually loses to Mirkwood Stalkers! A flippin' SNAGA unit! And it isn't cost effective at wearing down armoured units with its AP, either. Uruks, Shadowguard, Gamp Rim and Scions, all of them just crush the Billmen with minimal losses. It does beat Warg Marauders and Argulad Dragonriders quite handily ... but so do Rhovanian Gadraughts (available at the same building, and costing 75g more), and those have the added benefit of winning some infantry fights, and losing slowly when they do lose, so as to let your superior archers do their thing. Heck, Dale's new militia-tier spear, the Rhovanian Spearman, can usually do a number on those two, and he's less than two-thirds the price, and easier to recruit to boot. So, in the end, you have a unit that is only effective against 4 possible targets, and for all of them you have better options available.

Depending on how much effort the team has to spare, my suggestion is either:
    Low Effort: just delete the Billman, and boost the Dalian Swordsman and Gadraught replenishment by 20-30% (to make sure that you can recruit/replenish enough of a main battle line), or
    Medium Effort: switch the Billman and the Gadraught's roles. Replace the Billman with a Dalian Spearman (Use the same model, Dalian Swordsman shield, Rhovanian spear; probably 4 Atk, 3 Chg, 13 Def, bonus vs mounts), and then give the Gadraught the bill (They'll lose the cool kite shields, unfortunately), and buff them a little. Say 5 Atk, 4 Chg, 13 Def, bonus vs mounts, AP (alternate option: keep the Atk low, but make the bills longer and give them spearwall, like a proper halberd unit). They'll be a little bit better than the Sword/Spearman, but also slightly more expensive and harder to recruit. Plus they'll act as a bit of a bridge between Dalesmen and Swordmasters/Barding Hirds.

Melvasul's Avatar Biarchus

1 soldier units simply don't work great
    The problem is that 1 soldier unit cannot exist due to the engine needing other soldiers in the unit(commander and the sign bearer)

Quote Originally Posted by Melvasul View Post
    The problem is that 1 soldier unit cannot exist due to the engine needing other soldiers in the unit(commander and the sign bearer)
    But when I first played DaC some 3 years ago both the Balrog and Sauron was only 1 unit. So it's definitely possible somehow.

Ngugi's Avatar TATW & Albion Local Mod

Even at best, it proven unreliable. While it sometimes can work out to be one, another time there will be three instead; the engine was not created for it and it shows I'm afraid

Kingdom of Lindon preview video out

DCI: Last Alliance
    - WIP Second Age mod | DCI: Tl Acharn - mighty Dnedain Counter Invasions |
    Additional Mercenary Minimod - more mercs; for TATW and DCI | Family Tree minimods - lore improvements | Remade Event Pictures - enhance cultures trough images |
    Favorite TATW compilation: Withwnars Submod Collection
    Patron of Mank, Kili Al, FireFreak111, MIKEGOLF & Arachir Galudirithon, Earl of Memory

I suggested this a while back, alongside splitting Gundabad off. Maybe my post influenced Gundabad being split, so I thought I'd have another go at the other half of that old suggestion.Rebrand the OotMM as the Goblins of Moria.

You start with Khazad-dum, where the Moria goblins live - it is their home, and thus shapes who they are. As goblins, they are tiny, feral, fearful and malformed by their time underground - they defend their deep dark dank pit and only venture out for food, whatever it is. This single province start helps you deal with the fact that MM is too easy thanks to its huge cities and mines.

The goblins of Moria primarily wear armour scavenged from the vast halls of the ancient Dwarven capital, or stuff they've made that pays tribute to the god-like Balrog - the main battle line of the goblins should be a swarm of screeching armoured crab-like goblins, as it was in the Fellowship movie. The best goblins use Dwarven armour and weapons - only the toughest use these weapons, because they are constantly killing each other for them. What makes a tough goblin is not size, but ferocity. You also have archers, but they are objectively terrible - the vast halls and strategic defence points of Khazad-dhum would be great for archery were it not for the fact that it is always pitch black. I would also have all goblins move very quickly, to makes them more dangerous - they like to encircle foes and overwhelm them (like in the Fellowship film), meaning even elves have to be careful with them.

Their allies are the wargs that have their den on Zagh Kala, and the kingdom of Goblin-town, who are their own nation far less influenced by Dwarves, goblins in their most feral state. Wargs are semi-intelligent, and use the goblins as much as they goblins use them. Wargs are fast and tough and fierce, and love to eat horses even more than goblins do - they sometimes let goblins through javelins from their back, and the world's greatest wargs are the den wargs of the peak of Zagh Kala. Goblins are stealthy and move very quickly, and fight well at night, but are also physically scrawny and abject cowards - the folk of Goblin-town are unarmoured, and use stealth and sheer mass (and javelins) to overwhelm opponents.
    This is your first point for expansion - get Zagh Kala to get wargs, get Goblin-town for cannon-fodder skirmisher goblins. I'd suggest these as AoR, because it adds both flavour and difference, and importance to holding these locations. I also think they should have only the 'barracks' unit, and an 'ally' building, simplifying their recruitment like the wildmen, making it cheaper and diversifying the roster quicker, giving them a decent start that gets infinitely harder as the Dwarves and Elves all get significantly better units.

Then comes the barracks event, which not only gives you your elites, but also marks the moment Sauron shifts his gaze to you. You get cave trolls, who do what all trolls do; beserker goblins, the few fierce enough to kill dwarves and elves and live to tell the tale - they are kitted out in looted dwarven gear; and den wargs of Zagh Kala, which are huge wargs with fierce temperaments. But you also get taskmasters, envoys of Sauron who use fear (of their whips, and of Sauron), to get the goblins to stand and fight; pikes, wielded by the few goblins brave enough and smart enough to see the value in standing in lines and not running away, to guard the bridge of Khazad-dhum; Black Uruks from Mordor, sent by Sauron to bully and bolster the goblins, and are fierce fighters themselves; and snow orcs from Gundabad, distant allies that are just as wild but much more savage and imposing. Maybe also Ologhai.

Most of this already exists for the OotMM in some form, but like all of the other DaC factions prior to their recent revamps, it suffers from being a bit of an undefined mess. By making OotM specifically goblin and specifically Moria, you can hone in on a 'character' and a narrative, and then build outward from there. Take the 'heavy' goblin troops, weaken them a little and make them the base unit of the faction. Maybe beautify some of the units a little. Change snaga to goblins, and have them come from Goblin-town - 'snaga' has a very Mordor feel to it. Emphasize the 'false' distinction between goblins and orcs, and play with their feral nature - Sauron's reach is far and terrible, how does it now affect this nation? Have Moria goblins feel like cheap and weak Dwarves - they are influenced by and emulate the dwarves whose capital they've claimed. Use the movies as inspiration - Moria and Goblin-town have incredibly distinct characters in their respective films. Wargs are more than just hyenas and mounts in the Hobbit. Play with the diversity present in the mountains.

The fantastic mod for BfMEII, Edain, had the same issue with the Misty Mountains as DaC has (they were an unhappy mess), and they fixed it the same way that I am suggesting (a focus on character), and it worked great.

Thank you for the great work guys, I play your game every chance I get.

Interesting ideas, but as far as I know, Arachir didn't mention much about how the Goblins are changed. Their new starting position with little more than Moria is confirmed, and that they are indeed called Goblins of Moria now. I would just wait and see how they play in the new version.

Unfortunatley, I am not a big fan of the "Goblins use scavenged dwarven armor" thing. That feature should remain unique to Gundabad.

Tar-Falassion's Avatar Tiro

Hello everyone, long-time creeper, occasional poster here. I have a suggestion to jazz up the Dale campaign.

I started playing (and interesting myself in) DaC again a few months ago, and I was very pleased with the way some factions were revamped/upgraded (especially the Adnam Variags and the upcoming Gundabad faction), and the plans for some future revamps/upgrades (the Ered Luin script, the Imladris script). But after a few campaigns with the factions I enjoyed the most, something I found out is that atm Dale is, well, not dull, but not very developed. The unit roster feels much more organized now, granted, but as for the overall campaign feel, it's still a bit lacking imo, especially due to the lack of scripts apart of the "Old Alliances" script.

Given that the next update for DaC (2.5 I suppose) is clearly focused on the North, with Gundabad, the reorganization of the Dwarven rosters, I felt that something could also be done for Dale as far as scripts are concerned, and my idea would be the reforging of the Kingdom of Rhovanion.

I don't know if that is an exact description of the Northman diaspora, but my perception is that Rhovanion was broken, it's people basically split between the Dorwinrim, the Dalians, and the Eotheod of the Anduin Vale (some of which later rode south and founded Rohan). And the way I see it, Dale is the "highest" of these splinter nations, the only one that would potentially recreate Rhovanion (Anduin is unlikely, given their wilder way of life, and well ... Dorwinion already has a script with the Elven choice). So my idea is that, once it has gathered enough power to put a legitimate claim on the old Rhovanion lands and crown, Dale could act as the unifying force that would gather all Northmen again under the banner of a Northman King.

The way I imagine it, it would basically be a unit recruitment script, for which the Old Alliances script could be modified :
    During the early part of the game, the Old Alliances script would still be active, and allow Dale to recruit some of the units from the Woodland Realm and from Erebor. They act as some kind of "life support" for Dale, which still has its economy in shambles at the beginning of the campaign and can't sustain armies of truly professionnal soldiers. Dale is too weak to truly assume their military autonomy, so in the name of the old friendship between the Three Races, they accept the help and protection of Dain and Thranduil.

But after the Barracks Event, when Dale's fortune and might is waxing again, both Erebor and Thranduil's Realm see that the Dalians no longer need their protection, and pull out their forces. The player no longer has access to Dwarven or Elven units, and must rely on Dale's roster only. This way the campaign is still challenging enough.

However, after a number of conditions are met(I would set them to be: "Hold 15 regions, including both banks of the Celduin") the third part of the script kicks in : you get presented with a choice: (1) be the multiracial cosmopolitan platform that you have been since the days of Bard the Bowman, OR (2) push for the Dominion of Men in the North, set your claims on Rhovanion and obtain the allegiance of all Northmen peoples.
    In practical terms you will either (1) get the usual Old Alliances script, with Elven and Dwarven units available (and even some of their elites), OR you will (2) get some units (middle-tier and a few elites) from Anduin, Dorwinion, and maybe even Rohan (the latter would be more a demonstration of good will and support, rather than true allegiance).
    Of course, if you meet the conditions of part three before the barracks event, then part two does not kick in, and you immediately get access to the choice script.

I thought that the requirement of controlling both the north -- Grasgard & Burh Kaupis -- and south -- Burh Alge, Rhawburg, maybe even Ilanin -- of the Celduin would be appropriate lore-wise : since Rhovanion spread from the marches of Dale to the Brown lands, a royal claim would necessitate to hold lands of the old kingdom). But I also thought it would be better gameplay-wise, because it would force the player to eventually face Dol Guldur. This way, the campaign would remain a challenge even in the late-game, because at the stage where you have 15 regions as Dale, chances are that you're already steamrolling Rhn.

Do you like my ideas for this script for Rhovanion Reborn ? Maybe this makes things a bit easy on the long run for Dale, so the script could also add a full-stack spawn of either Rhn, Mirkwood or Gundabad by your capital of Dale when part three kicks in, like the Elven Alliance script for the Silvan Elves factions.

Anyways thanks for the feedback, and thanks for the amazing mod ! Seeing it being improved year after year is something that really brings a smile everytime I come here
    Last edited by Tar-Falassion; October 22, 2018 at 09:41 AM.

I don't think they will add much stuff anymore to 2.5, I presume they have their hands full with Gundabad, which is the theme of 2.5 itself.
    I do like the idea of uniting the northmen, but the buffs you get would make you unbeatable. Remember that Dol Guldur has to fight a ton of enemies already, instead of making it more challenging, it would become easier.

There should be as few scripts as possible imo. Their point is to make dull, boring and easy campaigns more interesting or act as fixes to certain 'issues' for factions. Take Ered Luin for an example: They have a remote start, so you can expand easy peazy without trouble or hurry. As you meet Angmar, it's barely a challenge as you outclass them so much. The rings script makes that dull campaign spread out as you attack everyone, thus making it challenging.
    These kinds of scripts should be reserved for factions that actually need them or are otherwise really good ideas that can either 1) balance or 2) make a campaign incredible fun, such as the dwarves and elves (don't even get me started on the Grey Havens, christ they're dull...a campaign shouldn't be *decently* challenging by attacking every evil faction possible, as fun as it is though. I know they're a beginner faction, but it feels like they waste a faction slot).
    Dale...I don't really know what makes it lacking, you have a hard start, Rhun and Dol Guldur knock on your doors and you basically HAVE to fight them early if you want to win and/or have fellow nations survive. And as much as I do like the 'united northmen' idea, I like how things are now. I see Dale, Dorwinion and the Eotheod being the legacy of the Kingdom of Rhovanion.

I would echo/amplify what Mr. Duck said. I think the proposed Ered Luin ring script is a good way to think about how campaigns can work. Lindon could use something that works in a similar way.

Easy or beginner factions should have legitimate ways to make the campaign hard. Sure Ered Luin would be a harder game if you declared war on everyone turn one, but that's a gamey solution. Putting in that little bit of scripting to say you can give up your alliances to sake your greed legitimizes that harder play style in a neat way. The ultimate modding goal should be that every faction has at least the option for an interesting campaign.

Quote Originally Posted by Ogmios View Post
    I would echo/amplify what Mr. Duck said. I think the proposed Ered Luin ring script is a good way to think about how campaigns can work. Lindon could use something that works in a similar way.

Easy or beginner factions should have legitimate ways to make the campaign hard. Sure Ered Luin would be a harder game if you declared war on everyone turn one, but that's a gamey solution. Putting in that little bit of scripting to say you can give up your alliances to sake your greed legitimizes that harder play style in a neat way. The ultimate modding goal should be that every faction has at least the option for an interesting campaign.
    ''The ultimate modding goal should be that every faction has at least the option for an interesting campaign.'' This. Although, I wouldn't like legitimately attacking everyone as Lindon, I mean they're elves. The issue with Lindon is the ridiculous safety (the only threat to Mithlond is the Adunaim army), ridiculous roster (it's the strongest overall) and ridiculously weak enemies compared to you; Enedwaith...enough said, Isengard does prove a liiittle bit of a challenge but hardly, Angmar has lots of enemies to work with already, Mordor? Even they fall to you. They aren't issues by themselves, but as combined...boi u got the easiest campaign BY FAR. If you want to balance it, you would have to nerf them. You can't really do that though, heavily restricting training and building is a half-assed way to balance a faction.

You could change Lindon so that instead of starting as your normally do, you'd be travelling elves who are departing to Aman, but decide to fight back Sauron. It needs to be said that Mithlond is a harbour where elves leave from, but in lore, as elven migrants come from the east, they actually settle there for some time before departing. With this in mind, it could be argued that the backbone of Lindon's population and military from DaC are also migrant elves (because of the idea that they decide to fight Sauron). So as you would start as a horde, you can choose to go to Lindon, settle there and then prepare to fight OR take any settlement you want, bringing the fight to the enemy earlier head on.

You would start with Gildor Inglorion, as he is told to roam Middle-Earth with a group of elves before departing to Aman. Your objective is to basically defeat evil nations, ideally Isengard, Goblins of Moria and Mordor. Isengard, because as the elves migrate from the east of the MM, Isengard is blocking their path and the war in Gondor as well. Goblins, because they prove to be a large threat to Eriador and Imladris.
    Your roster would be the same essentially.
    Your early tier would consist of Sword Quendi, Bow Quendi (the Imladris militia would be called 'Noldor Swordsmen' or something and 'Noldor Archers', it's just a name switch) and a lancer cavalry unit. Because of the ranger-ish look of the teleri archers (would be renamed into Bow Quendi), they would be able to hide anywhere.
    The post-barracks tier would consist of the Sindar units renamed into Teleri units, representing the Sindar and Nandor. The elite units would be the standard Eldarwinde, but if you don't go to Lindon at the start, you would have 3 elite units that are not as good as them in their stead, as they wouldn't be the veteran Noldor warriors.

Like I said before, the idea is that the 'elves of Lindon' in DaC are not just Sindar, but also Noldor and Nandor. Sor.t of like a 'unified elves'-faction and you get the choice to not go to Lindon. In a way, that group of elves represent what IS Lindon if they went there at the time (it's not really highly populated and can hardly answer to anything militaristic on their own)

So a name change (even if you wouldn't do this idea, I do suggest changing the Teleri unit names into the 'Quendi' units, and the Imladris units into the 'Noldor' units), a script that allows you to start anywhere and a possible change to the elite roster dependent on your start. This makes it so that if you do want an easy beginner campaign, just go to Mithlond. Gildor would have a retinue which gets removed as you go there (sort of like how the Ring works for Mordor) and you gain control of the three regions and you get Cirdan and Galdor. They would be in the control of Imladris at game start.

Once again, I don't know about the scale of this and the effort that has to be put into it, but at least it should make Lindon played by more veteran and harder players and not be so dull.

EDIT: Yes, I'm fully aware of the ridiculousness of this idea, but this mod is already made fan-fictional, and the reason why it's so fan-fictional is that it's supposed to make it interesting and expand it for more variation and fun. There's already factions such as the Ar-Adunaim, the Variags of Khand, Remnants of Angmar, Clans of Enedwaith and the like. For the sake of making the easiest and dullest campaign in the game more interesting while still having the choice of having that same easy and dull campaign for the cost of a simple (minor, really) lore-break, i'd make the trade-off.
    Last edited by Daft Mariner; October 24, 2018 at 08:18 AM.

I've been playing an Erebor campaign and really enjoying it, here are some suggestions that would be great to enhance roleplay.

1. The "Stubbornness of the Dwarves" Ability that Gloin, Gimli, Dain and Thorin have should have the sound effect changed. Currently I think it just does a generic Britannia campaign Scottish war-cry. I suggest that the sound effect is changed to something more dwarven, perhaps "Baruk Khazad! Khazad Ai Menu!". I know this effect is already in the game as I have heard a few units randomly say it, so it should be easy enough to make this the sound of the ability. This would be great for immersion.

2. In the Iron Hills settlement of Kirikhgathol the tower battlements actually work and shoot arrows (Which is great!) however there does not seem to be an option to build ballista towers. I believe that the dwarves would use ballista towers as they are a technical and engineering based society. Even in the hobbit movie (3rd one) extended edition there is a scene where we say Dwarven ballista. Therefore it is within the lore to make this available to dwarves so should be added. Also it would help with the Rhun death stacks while the majority of the dwarven forces expand west to deal with Gundabad.

The classic warcry as the ability sound would be cool, but imo what would be cooler is to change it into the horn sound from the Hobbit film that Bombur makes. Gives me the goosebumps that one.

Note that the Hobbit films are not canon, that extended scene is completely made up by them.

Quote Originally Posted by Munchboii View Post
    I've been playing an Erebor campaign and really enjoying it, here are some suggestions that would be great to enhance roleplay.

1. The "Stubbornness of the Dwarves" Ability that Gloin, Gimli, Dain and Thorin have should have the sound effect changed. Currently I think it just does a generic Britannia campaign Scottish war-cry. I suggest that the sound effect is changed to something more dwarven, perhaps "Baruk Khazad! Khazad Ai Menu!". I know this effect is already in the game as I have heard a few units randomly say it, so it should be easy enough to make this the sound of the ability. This would be great for immersion.

2. In the Iron Hills settlement of Kirikhgathol the tower battlements actually work and shoot arrows (Which is great!) however there does not seem to be an option to build ballista towers. I believe that the dwarves would use ballista towers as they are a technical and engineering based society. Even in the hobbit movie (3rd one) extended edition there is a scene where we say Dwarven ballista. Therefore it is within the lore to make this available to dwarves so should be added. Also it would help with the Rhun death stacks while the majority of the dwarven forces expand west to deal with Gundabad.

Ballista towers are completely removed as of very recently.

When think of it it might be the version that is coming next and not the current one. However galu said that upgrading to Ballista towers does not in fact give the settlement ballista projectiles so they are removed.