Page 84 of 119 FirstFirst ... 3459747576777879808182838485868788899091929394109 ... LastLast
Results 1,661 to 1,680 of 2367

Thread: DaC - Official Suggestions Thread

Default Re: DaC - Official Suggestions Thread

I have a few ideas about the VoA fraction (although I might be bias towards them as they are my favourite fraction).

But first let’s talk about what makes this fraction unique (at least for me).

1. A coalition of free “people”- I love the fact that the VoA is made out of different races and groups of people. This makes for a very interesting army composition from a playstyle and narrative point of view.
    2. A great risk reward general bodyguard unit- I really like the fact that your general is extremely strong BUT you can’t really use him because you risk losing him.
    3. One thing that I don’t like is that the fraction plays very much as a horde fraction from the start. (meaning a lot of really weak units). Which I don’t feel really fits with VoA. I don’t feel making full stack armies of weak units (farmers, hobbits and a few poor beorling lumberjacks) fits them well. I mean I understand that they would fight in defence of their home but I cannot really see them as a assaulting force.
    4. While I love the look of the new costume settlements for VoA I am afraid they will be a mess to defend with a larger army. For example, if you want to hold Rhosgobel you must rush units into it. But while the new battlemap looks great, I cannot see how you could manage to order a larger army inside of it effectively. (especially if you don’t want to hinder your own archers).

Now lets talk my suggestions :-) :

1. I believe that the feeling of commanding a coalition of forces would be enforced by allowing the recruitment of most of the units (ideally all the VoA units) only in curtain types of regions (all woodsman units could only be trained in forest regions, all Northman and beorlings units only in grassland, and so on. Ideally nothing in desert regions). This would lead to an interesting need to gather your army from different regions if you wanted a balanced army. It would also enforce the feeling of different groups of people answering the call to arms.
    2. We know that the beorlings are holding the passes of the MM so that some travellers can travel through. So why not motived people to hold the passes by allowing the recruitment of dwarven travellers (in low numbers) in the MM?
    3. The Vale is not really a safe place. You get goblin raids from the MM, big spiders in the forests, gigantic eagles eating your cattle and so on. Would it be possible to slow down the recruitment (or availableness) of most (ideally all, apart from the Hobbits) VoA units in exchange for a greater defence skill? This would lower the horde feeling VoA can have and would also show that the people of the Vale have seen some combat and know how to defend themselves. It would also somewhat solve the problem of small settlements being too small to be defended by a large army.
    4. Maybe put a castle between Gundabad and Framburg? Or at least a watchtower showing that the two fractions are aware of each other.

Kjertesvein's Avatar Remember to smile
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

This mod needs a Legendary difficulty faction. When you press Start, you know you'll have a distinct possibility of losing no matter what. Later iterations of Total War have Legendary difficulty, for the explicit purpose of catering to the type of players like Legends of Total War who love the min-max. DaC alread caters to many different groups of people, but less so to the type of people who enjoy a "Save my Disaster campaign". If developers can't win with the "Legendary faction", we're on a good start.

~Wille
    Thorolf was thus armed. Then Thorolf became so furious that he cast his shield on his back, and, grasping his halberd with both hands, bounded forward dealing cut and thrust on either side. Men sprang away from him both ways, but he slew many. Thus he cleared the way forward to earl Hring's standard, and then nothing could stop him. He slew the man who bore the earl's standard, and cut down the standard-pole. After that he lunged with his halberd at the earl's breast, driving it right through mail and body, so that it came out at the shoulders; and he lifted him up on the halberd over his head, and planted the butt-end in the ground. There on the weapon the earl breathed out his life in sight of all, both friends and foes. [...] 53, Egil's Saga
    I must tell you here of some amusing tricks the Comte d'Eu played on us. I had made a sort of house for myself in which my knights and I used to eat, sitting so as to get the light from the door, which, as it happened, faced the Comte d'Eu's quarters. The count, who was a very ingenious fellow, had rigged up a miniature ballistic machine with which he could throw stones into my tent. He would watch us as we were having our meal, adjust his machine to suit the length of our table, and then let fly at us, breaking our pots and glasses.
    - The pranks played on the knight Jean de Joinville, 1249, 7th crusade.

http://imgur.com/a/DMm19
    Quote Originally Posted by Finn View Post
    This is the only forum I visit with any sort of frequency and I'm glad it has provided a home for RTR since its own forum went down in 2007. Hopefully my donation along with others from TWC users will help get the site back to its speedy heyday, which will certainly aid us in our endeavor to produce a full conversion mod Rome2.

Quote Originally Posted by Skawer View Post

1. All woodsman units could only be trained in forest regions, all Northman and beorlings units only in grassland, and so on.
    2. Allowing the recruitment of dwarven travellers (in low numbers) in the Misty Mountains.
    3. Slow down the recruitment (or availableness) of most (ideally all, apart from the Hobbits) VoA units in exchange for a greater defence skill.
    4. Maybe put a castle between Gundabad and Framburg? Or at least a watchtower showing that the two fractions are aware of each other.
    I like your suggestions.

1. Yes, that would fit them, but what would you be able to recruit outside of the vale? Would they be divided like that in all regions of the map?
    2. Why not, at least as mercenaries.
    3. That would be a thing. They should still be kinda cheap but the upper Vale of the Anduin is a largerly deserted place compared to places like Rohan, they aren't that numerous. So making them a bit stronger, same cost and less aivalable would make the VoA more challenging. I like it.
    4. That would be nice but all region slots are occupied so for a new region to be created there some other region needs to be removed. Maybe a well placed fort would do it? That would give the VoA some increased defensibility against the Gundabad onslaught. Perhaps an old Dwarven fort build by Khazad-Dum before the fall that was used to keep an eye on the orcs from Gundabad and now occupied and reused by the Eothéod remnants?

Thanks for reacting :-)

1. Well why not? Yes it would be a true challenge to expand to Rhovanion, but that’s sort of the point :-).
    4. Sorry for the confusion I did not mean a whole region but indeed a fort.

Quote Originally Posted by Skawer View Post
    Thanks for reacting :-)

1. Well why not? Yes it would be a true challenge to expand to Rhovanion, but that’s sort of the point :-).
    4. Sorry for the confusion I did not mean a whole region but indeed a fort.
    1. I guess so. I don't really see why not, besides perhaps that it will be too hard, always fun with a challenge though.
    4. Ah ok. I fort would be well placed there.

Ideally, I think VoA should be the strongest of the wildmen factions overall (Dunland, VoA and Enedwaith) which I think they are already. Even though they have a trash tier, they're better than Gondor early. Even though a faction has a trash tier, that does not mean they lack quality. Gondor just doesn't have that trash tier. After the barracks event, Dunland might have a unit or two that are better in some cases, but overall, I still think Anduin is best of the wildmen after the barracks event. However, considering how cheap your units are and the strength early, you do tend to train lots of armies and become a semi-horde nation (the true horde nations are obviously Mordor and Goblins of Moria). So I do support them being fixed out of a horde nation with your suggestions but giving them a bit more quality as a counter. Although, Gundabad campaign does need a bit of challenge.
    Galu mentioned in his campaign that Anduin (as an enemy) now proves to be a challenge, now that the Goblins don't focus as much on Anduin, which I predicted. I don't know about the coming version, but I still stand by the suggestion of having active rebels dot the western bank of the river AS YOU PLAY AS ANDUIN, so that you can't destroy Dol Guldur or Gundabad so easily (the capitals are quite close, taking them will cripple the factions)
    Last edited by Daft Mariner; October 16, 2018 at 06:30 AM.

I have the impression that once and again people are complaining about the orc settlements lately, so here my two cents:

DaC has come a long way from the mostly not-custom settlements of Vanilla TA. That is absolutley great but there is always room for improvement.

The problem with the current orc settlements is that they all feel the same, regardless of size and type; a palisade with some tents in it. With castles and the like one would expect somewhat more defensive. And it just makes no sense that a bunch of tents is called a city and considered a major moneymaker gameplaywise. Orcs should definitley be able to build structures in their big settlements.

So my the suggestions for the castles would be to make something like DCI: Last Alliance does:

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    For the motte and Bailey:

And for the wooden castle:

Those pictures are taken straight out of their submod thread, check it out if you don't know it:

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...ept-(page-127)

Imo those look and work better than the current orc castles and it is doable with the engine. For the higher tiers no castles are needed, because orcs can't build them, which is fine

For the bigger cities it would be cool to have some grand structures instead of the tents. As Arkay was able to import models from BFME I hope there are possibilities to implement building models in this kind of style:

The first picture is from the Shadow of Mordor game:

The last two pictures are from El Monstero's amazing loading screen submod, check it out here:

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...um-for-DaC-2-2

Gondors colour in the faction ranking thing is so light it's hard to see. I suggest to darken it a little so it doesn't blend as well with the background.

Last edited by Hyddan92; October 16, 2018 at 11:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Auerode View Post
    I have the impression that once and again people are complaining about the orc settlements lately, so here my two cents:

DaC has come a long way from the mostly not-custom settlements of Vanilla TA. That is absolutley great but there is always room for improvement.

The problem with the current orc settlements is that they all feel the same, regardless of size and type; a palisade with some tents in it. With castles and the like one would expect somewhat more defensive. And it just makes no sense that a bunch of tents is called a city and considered a major moneymaker gameplaywise. Orcs should definitley be able to build structures in their big settlements.

So my the suggestions for the castles would be to make something like DCI: Last Alliance does:

For the motte and Bailey:

And for the wooden castle:

Those pictures are taken straight out of their submod thread, check it out if you don't know it:

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...ept-(page-127)

Imo those look and work better than the current orc castles and it is doable with the engine. For the higher tiers no castles are needed, because orcs can't build them, which is fine

For the bigger cities it would be cool to have some grand structures instead of the tents. As Arkay was able to import models from BFME I hope there are possibilities to implement building models in this kind of style:

The first picture is from the Shadow of Mordor game:

The last two pictures are from El Monstero's amazing loading screen submod, check it out here:

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...um-for-DaC-2-2

I agree wholeheartedly, though the "Shadow of" series is fan-fiction, not lore or even close to it. Some might argue a bastardization.

That said, the settlements the orcs currently occupy are lesser in scale than barbaric nomad tribes could create in days. Historically, a determined force could set up a palisade and tent city in days. Orcs are lesser creatures but they are capable of intelligence. This may call for a new style of walls, one that's cracked, weaker, in shambles, something. Something like "they slaved over Barad-dur for centuries, but learned a few tricks along the way".

The goal here it to make settlement attack and defense when orcs are involved fun, palisades and tents are not fun for anyone. Maybe at least something like rocks being piled on each other for defense, or again maybe not even walls but a basic tunnel system. Orc cities and castles right now just look like mobile field camps.

Yeah I like the wooden castle from DCI, I would remove the stone building in the middle though. DCI has not been released yet, so we just have to wait and then we can ask permission to use it.

Is it possible to have a part for the defender’s deployment outside of the walls? I mean from the point of the game engine. If so, would you consider doing this to some smaller settlements? (This could help with large army organisation, or ambush fractions).

It is possible but in my experience the AI usually doesn't like it.

I see... Thanks for your answer :-)

I agree wholeheartedly, though the "Shadow of" series is fan-fiction, not lore or even close to it. Some might argue a bastardization.
    What? You say a random dude from the Black Gate meeting the undying spirit of an ancient elven smith who can do magic and has sick battle skillz and crazy teleport and actually becoming undead himself and slaughtering more orcs alone than the whole gondorian army during the war of the ring and forging a ring himself like the One Ring but better and being able to go into every creatures' mind and control them and still every uruk in Mordor thinks he can beat him is NOT PART OF THE LORE?

Damn, and my next suggestion would have been to add sexy Shelob as a custom general for Mordor

Just kidding and sorry, needed to get that one of my chest...

Please don't get me wrong, I wouldn't recommend taking anything story-/lorewise from these games. But they look gorgeous, and the pictures depict the style I would love to see in DaC's orc settlements.
    Like all those ramshackle wooden structures with bits of cloth and iron and spiky thinks pointing outwards.
    Actually something like the wildmen cities which heavily utilize steep terrain instead of walls would fit. But instead of green and trees you get scorched earth and cave entrances and weird walkways...
    Probably a huge chunk of work but a man can dream...

Yeah I like the wooden castle from DCI, I would remove the stone building in the middle though. DCI has not been released yet, so we just have to wait and then we can ask permission to use it.
    Ah thanks for the info, looking forward to both DCI LA being released and those things hopefully being implemented in DaC
    Personally I don't mind the stone building but I'm sure you will come up with something good instead (please make it spiky).

Hi guys, a suggestion related to OOMM. I know they will be slightly redone and renamed in 2.3.
    I don't know their new roster but I kindly request to add an extra elite infantry unit ("elite" comparing to other OOMM units of course) which will be available everywhere in 3rd tier barracks. Motivation: in 2.2 the 3rd tier barracks doesn't expand roster in non-mountain regions so that 3rd level of barracks is literally useless which is a bit frustrating. This unit might be "Heavy Goblin Pikemen" or maybe use Blackwatch Legion model from Reforged, it looks incredible.

I suggested not too long ago a script for Ered Luin which point was to make the clans and rings more evident, but I look back to that now and think that there's no reason to make it that complicated. Rather than fiddle with scripts as much, simply give Grain (would be renamed into Clanlord Grain) Firebeard Warriors and Nar (also remaned into Clanlord) Broadbeam wardens to represent the two clans, and Gor would stay the same as he would be part of both clans (and accepted as the Highlord, which I think fits well when Balin is also a Highlord, which shows the uniformity). Accepting the rings would give income bonus from mines and trade buildings and they'd get special ring retinues unique to eachother.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Duck View Post
    I suggested not too long ago a script for Ered Luin which point was to make the clans and rings more evident, but I look back to that now and think that there's no reason to make it that complicated. Rather than fiddle with scripts as much, simply give Grain (would be renamed into Clanlord Grain) Firebeard Warriors and Nar (also remaned into Clanlord) Broadbeam wardens to represent the two clans, and Gor would stay the same as he would be part of both clans (and accepted as the Highlord, which I think fits well when Balin is also a Highlord, which shows the uniformity). Accepting the rings would give income bonus from mines and trade buildings and they'd get special ring retinues unique to eachother.
    I've made some of these changes for you. Grain and Nar are now both Clanlords while Gor is Highlord. I also gave Nar his Broadbeam Wardens. Please back up the original two files in case something somewhere goes wrong.

"expanded" goes in the data/text folder and "descr_strat" in data/world/maps/campaign/imperial_campaign folder. This will also require you to start a new campaign to take effect.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Any feedback from the team with regards to my idea in making Mazog a King, his protrait being more polished and the ancillaries for him
    Supreme Commander of the Galactic Federation, Emperor of the Virtupets Empire, Star King
    Certified Genius
    M L I G: Mandy Luxe is the Greatest
    Erasiel Darkar is OP! Never will be nerfed! He is Winx

Quote Originally Posted by Danger Close View Post
    I've made some of these changes for you. Grain and Nar are now both Clanlords while Gor is Highlord. I also gave Nar his Broadbeam Wardens. Please back up the original two files in case something somewhere goes wrong.

"expanded" goes in the data/text folder and "descr_strat" in data/world/maps/campaign/imperial_campaign folder. This will also require you to start a new campaign to take effect.
    I was actually about to do that yesterday , though I was having issues with compatibility, I prolly did it wrong. Thanks !

How about few units and overhaul for Wood elf units
    -Sword and shield hir-i-lang
    -Palace Guards spear shield or sword shield or both would be great
    -General ,lieutenant and the Banner-carrier models use the silver armor or just reskinned tar-anyeir not the hin-e-daur
    -Mirkwood glaive troops

just a few of these units and overhaul would be great idk but i think i'm obsessed over Thranduil army lol