Page 8 of 113 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617183358108 ... LastLast

Thread: DaC - Official Suggestions Thread

Default Re: DaC - Official Suggestions Thread

Quote Originally Posted by nichita1998 View Post
    About the vassal thing. I was thinking that this could be represented by a special script only if Dol Amroth is the player. More specifically every 10 turns or so you must give a sum of money to Gondor (2000/3000 gold).
    I don't see the point of this. If you want to roleplay/boost Gondor you can manually give them money every ten turns or regular tribute. Furthermore DA is sufficiently hard that it doesn't need restrictions. On top of that scripts slow down turn times.

About the vassal thing. I was thinking that this could be represented by a special script only if Dol Amroth is the player. More specifically every 10 turns or so you must give a sum of money to Gondor (2000/3000 gold).
    Yea Dol Amroth could start as vassal of Gondor. But im not sure if relations between vasal and lord or whatever is another one called are so good as between allies.. You know what would be cool? Scripted army for player to help Gondor near Osgiliath for example. Not full stack, few units, but if you declined and decide not to help gondor, army could spawn near Dol Amroth, you would have to pay Gondor some money and probably your relations would be damaged. But is it worth to script this? If, you're playing as Dol Amroth it usually ends with helping Gondor anyway, by eliminating Harad, Umbar, Variags.

Svir@c's Avatar Libertus

Quote Originally Posted by Link12 View Post
    I have a few more suggestions, some may be controversial so please do not sacrifice me to the Dark Lord.

1. Following up from my Angmar suggestions, what about just getting rid of the Javelin Wargs, as Agmar is the only faction that uses them in 2.0 I believe, and replacing them with an elite Rhudaur cavalry unit in the style of the Witch-Realm units that has a sword. This would be first encountered as the WK's bodyguard when he returns to Angmar and after the BE, providing the player has the WK (WK requirement does not have to apply to AI) you could train it from Carn Dum. Call it something along the lines of "Knights of the Iron Crown" or "Morgul Riders" or "Witch-Realm Riders". I feel the player should get something other than the WK to mark his return as it is very momentous in he defies Glorfindal's prophecy: "He will not return to this land." Also an elite cavalry unit would differ Angmar from Isengard.

Now on to the controversial suggestions:
    2. What about restoring the spiders to Dol Guldur? Now before you draw and quarter me I am not suggesting we use the buggy models that crashed the game. Rather we can use a model from Hyrule Total War (UndyingNephalim allows others to use his models [http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...t-From-my-Mod]) and there is an unit in that mod called the Ghoma Long-Legs (See the guide excerpt here: http://undyingnephalim.deviantart.co...erpt-619680593) that if DaC gave it a black texture, colored the eyes red and scaled the model down, it could work wonderfully as a spider unit for Dol Guldur, and it did not crash my game at least; if UN has a whole faction built around these creatures I think it is a safe bet to say the models are stable. In any case I feel a spider unit would add variety to DG, perhaps it could replace the wargs.

3. Agents. Now I am already expected to have been torn apart by a mob at that single word, but please hear me out. Not counting Princesses there are three classes of agents not used in DaC; these being Merchants, Assassins and Priests. Now call me crazy but I think all three have a place in the mod.

Merchants: I think giving them to Bree, Dale and Dorwinion (With a cap, perhaps 3-4 of them) could work wonderfully as all three factions are merchant factions and this would add some subtle flavour to their campaigns. In addition perhaps Bree's merchant cap could be increased by 2 if you pick the merc path with the same going for Dorwinion's human path. Alternatively they could just be given to a Bree that has picked a merc path. Remember if you don't like a merchant being somewhere and you are at war with the nation that controls the merchant you can kill it via surrounding it with military units. I feel this adds flavour, thematic elements, variety, fits the factions to a 't' and allows them to get that extra bit more out of their resources to model the fact they are merchant factions. Best of all we could just use the default european merchant and it would fit as all three nations have very european aesthetics.

Assassins: I mourn the removal of Assassins from Harad and Umbar (Was it only those 2 that had them?) as I felt they added an unexpected challenge for good nations advancing into the south and were fun to play with if you were an evil nation. I think it would be fun if they were restored to Harad only to add an unique element to their campaign. Of course there would be a cap of 3-4 and while they would always be unlocked for the AI, the player would have to unlock them at the same time as the Hasharii via the Harad script.

Priests: What do quite a few good nations have that the orcs do not? Highways of course! Hence, Orc Nations, usually starting will small domains find it hard to spread their culture and thus I propose they are granted Priests of Melkor (With a cap of 3) that are the vanilla priests with a model like the mouth of Sauron with a bone staff. Hence, they will have another more limited way of spreading culture that is more powerful and I find it lore appropriate for the Orc nations to send out priests to forcefully convert people.
    1) Hmmm... Actually a good idea, why not!? I'm up for it.
    2) No, too buggy and etc. Many of "us" having problems with Spiders, Ents ... Would be cool but not until somebody knows how to fix them! Nevertheles, good idea.
    3) I'm not up with this Assassins and Priest ideas, simply 'cos AI just use it, let's say, for awkwardly gameplay and not hyped for micromanagement thing and ... But, merchants that's a different story! It could be interesting, I like the idea very much! But, let me throw my 2 cent on this: max. two of them per faction and (I don't know is it possible to do) limit them to the faction/trade-right things?! Basically what I meant is: when you have trade-rights with xy factions they can go and "work" only there or in your regions also. They can walk through other factions lands but can not stop neither to do business there. Again, don't know if this kind a feature could be made or done.
    And last but not least, thank you for you'r suggestions!!! Cheers
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    -Come not between the Nazgl and his prey!- J.R.R.Tolkien, The Battle of the Pelennor Fields, The Return of the King

It is already represented due to Gondor being able to train some of your troops and that as a player you often send troops to support Gondor against Mordor and normally take on Harad, Umbar and even Khand mostly on your own.

lolIsuck's Avatar WE HAVE NO CAKE!
    Patrician Citizen Moderator Emeritus Administrator Emeritus Modding Emeritus

The bridge battle on the east of Khazad-Dm is broken, the terrain on one side is too steap so the army can't move and cross the river. A small map change is needed there.

Edit: The bridge further north between Khazad-Dm and Zagh Kala has a similar problem, might be an idea to check whether the terrain around other crossings is somewhat flat and if not to flatten it to solve these kind of things.
    Last edited by lolIsuck; May 09, 2017 at 07:38 PM.

Yesterday I wrote about how I think the VoA is interesting by being an alliance of several races. With the Vale Pikeman being moved to mountain terrain only I got slightly worried about what the VoA will be able to recruit outside of the Vale.

So coming from the idea the VoA is in its core an alliance I think this should play a role when they expand. So what about allowing the VoA to get AoR units from other fractions. (Mainly Dale and Rohan). This would open the roster further away from the vale itself.

Also Dale seems to also have a lot of units that are AoR. I would love to see if they could recruit thorn guard or even stronger Northman units from Dorwion regions. (yes I would prefer stronger units as when you reach these territories you would not use fodder units).

Quote Originally Posted by lolIsuck View Post
    The bridge battle on the east of Khazad-Dm is broken, the terrain on one side is too steap so the army can't move and cross the river. A small map change is needed there.

Edit: The bridge further north between Khazad-Dm and Zagh Kala has a similar problem, might be an idea to check whether the terrain around other crossings is somewhat flat and if not to flatten it to solve these kind of things.
    These two were both fixed some time ago. I suppose I should update the op but a good 90% of people won't read it anyway.

So following the discussion in the Unit Removal Thread I came up with a few suggestions for the Rhudaur and Cardolani units:

Firstly I would suggest making the Rhudaur Axemen and Savages available before the Barracks Event and making them available to both Angmar and the ND. They are not good enough for late game units and having them would add some spice to Angmar, especially since the Javelin Wargs will be replaced in version 2.0. as for the ND, they don't have any native Arnorian javelinmen or shock troops so the Axemen and Savages would fill up those roles nicely. On top of that it's absurd that the Dunedain don't get some of the (useful) Rhudaur units while they can recruit Haradrim and Rhunnic units.

Secondly I would suggest changing the Rhudaur Scouts into a late game heavy cav unit, either for Angmar alone or for both since Angmar has no heavy cav while nearly all of its enemies rely on powerful archers and the Scouts are far worse than Wargs. Similarly I would call for the removal of the Rhudaur Hillmen who are worse than Goblin trash.

Thirdly about the Cardolani. The Sentinels and Cavalry are good and useful. Sentinels are decent infantry and the Cav is useful for taking out routing units and making sure units don't regroup (plus they are your only early game cav because for some reason the Dunedain Cavalry takes forty turns to become available). My real problem lies with the archers. they're not bad archers per se, but they are bad ND archers. Even the Woodland Hunters are better, which makes no sense to me. The Cardolani Archers are warriors and the hunters are hunters. Therefore the Archers should have longer range and higher damage than the Hunters (since warbows have a greater draw weight than hunting bows because deer tend not to use armour), so I would suggest increasing the Archers damage by one while decreasing the Hunters damage by one or two and decreasing their range to 150 meters.

I've been thinking about the Hunters and what I have been considering is taking their range right down to 150 meters with the justification that though very accurate shots they only use short hunting bows and not bows really designed for battle. This keeps them useful and unique but means they won't totally eclipse Bree and ND's other archers.
    Last edited by Hummingbird; May 11, 2017 at 10:32 AM.

I would really like this change. Right now Hunters are really OP, even with their terrible defence, and they seems almost out of place if cofronted with the other archer units of their tier.
    And it make sense even lorewise.

It the last few days I have posted several ideas about units that could be shared by fractions if they hold each others regions or by simple sense and possibility.
    I have began to make a list of every unit in the game that could be part of such sharing. (including reasons why and how).
    But before i spend more time on this, i would like to ask if the team would think about doing this at all. A simple NO is ok. Atleast I will not loose more time on it. :-)

Speaking for myself I would not be. Cases of 'unit sharing' need to be kept to a minimum otherwise you start blurring the lines overmuch between the faction rosters. They become less unique over time.

I agree with H.

Ok thanks good to know.

Tal-In-Galumir's Avatar Libertus

Icon8 Re: DaC - Official Suggestions Thread

I think you could deal with it in a lore-friendly, but equally balanced way to not hurt the uniqueness. I have a few suggestions if you would hear me out:

1. You will only able to recruit one unit of another nation.

2. The other nation must be dead, and you must have been allied prior to their defeat.

3.The unit has to be of you culture or race (depending what's possible in the code).

4. You would recruit one elite (or anything late game viable really) from the reclaimed capital(s) only with a long replenishmeno rate (at least 10 turns +).

By this, players would get an easy alternative to actually fully reviving a former ally in a possibly non-scripted way. It would also are the reclaiming of a fallen friends homelands much more rewarding. The unit might even fill a gap in you roster, but you won't be able to plug it completely due to the units rarity.

The unit would either represent a reformed battalion of the last surviving inhabitants or a unit being formed to honour the fallen.

What do you think of that?

Quote Originally Posted by Tal-In-Galumir View Post
    I think you could deal with it in a lore-friendly, but equally balanced way to not hurt the uniqueness. I have a few suggestions if you would hear me out:

1. You will only able to recruit one unit of another nation.

2. The other nation must be dead, and you must have been allied prior to their defeat.

3.The unit has to be of you culture or race (depending what's possible in the code).

4. You would recruit one elite (or anything late game viable really) from the reclaimed capital(s) only with a long replenishmeno rate (at least 10 turns +).

By this, players would get an easy alternative to actually fully reviving a former ally in a possibly non-scripted way. It would also are the reclaiming of a fallen friends homelands much more rewarding. The unit might even fill a gap in you roster, but you won't be able to plug it completely due to the units rarity.

The unit would either represent a reformed battalion of the last surviving inhabitants or a unit being formed to honour the fallen.

What do you think of that?
    That is way too much work for the moders for very little benefit, and that feature is kinda already in the game. As the ND, you can get gondor units, bree can get some dunedain, angmar, nd and mm get some rhudaur units, imladris get some dunedain, woodland realm and lothlorien can share some units in an already existing script, mordor can get units from rhun, harad, khand in black gate, rhun get khand units, harad and umbar get some khand units as well, erebor get orocarni, not to mention there are a condiderable amount of mercenaries avaiable in rhovanion with a complete militia roster

Can the Rhun captain's strategic model have their red tassels on their helmet removed so they look less similar to the Rhun general's strategic model?

Regarding unit sharing, I feel Angmar deserves a look after Imladris and Khand are finished, as I feel they share virtually their whole pre BE roster with other factions and really only have 6 unique units; the 3 Witch-Realm units, the Scourge Raiders, the Guardians of Carn Dum and Snow Trolls. (Please correct me if I am wrong); perhaps a way to spice up their roster would be to give them unique armour upgrades for their Rhuadaur units; allow them to recruit said units more readily (After all, the men of Rhuadaur willing joined Angmar to crush the rest of Arnor, they would flock to its banner if it rose again) and give the Witch-King an unique bodyguard unit as Khamul does; rather than the same unit the rest of the Nazgul have.
    In any case I suspect any changes to Angmar or the Wildmen won't even be discussed until Imladris and Khand are done.
    All your words are but to say: you are a woman, and your part is in the house. But when the men have died in battle and honour, you have leave to be burned in the house, for the men will need it no more. But I am of the House of Eorl and not a serving-woman. I can ride and wield blade, and I do not fear either pain or death.

But no living man am I! You look upon a woman. owyn I am, omund's daughter. You stand between me and my lord and kin. Begone, if you be not deathless! For living or dark undead, I will smite you, if you touch him.

My avatar is Romana from Doctor Who, one of my favorite characters in all of fiction

Will Dol Amroth ever get a custom settlement or campaign model?

Putting the Tirith Aear on the map like Durin's tower or Elostirion would look really cool also...

I have no idea how Rhun and Khand act on the campaign map know but I would like to share an thought.

Is it not a shame that the war in the south is just between 4 bad guys (ok I know that Khand now can turn) and two good guys? This makes Mordor slightly underwhelming as Gondor and Dol Amroth have to face so many enemies and not be immediately overrun.

I think it’s a shame that Khand is blocked by Rhun in the north. Would it not be interesting if they could also expand just north of the Mordor border? This would lead to a more interesting campaign for Dorwion, Dale and Lorien. It would also force Rhun to go more directly north which would get them in faster confrontation with the dwarfs. I also believe that more fractions compete for the neutral regions north of Mordor/ Rhovanion / regions south of mirkwood the better.

(Sorry for posting all the time, but my uni exam time just begone so you know :-D )

Lemphibar's Avatar Civis

I know the archer stakes are a possible tone down for every faction, but I think helmingas are a unit that should get them. As rohans only credible foot archers it would be useful. Unless people are worried about self inflicted stakes... Just a thought.