Page 3 of 113 FirstFirst 123456789101112132853103 ... LastLast

Thread: DaC - Official Suggestions Thread

Default Re: DaC - Official Suggestions Thread

I do not understand the obsession with (what is being termed) dual wielding, thoroughly unrealistic for battlefield use by units, entirely a-historical.
    And the Weta depiction of this 'double headed glaive' is combatively absurd.

Though i love to use corsair pikemen, a pike is certainly not a weapon designed to be used in a ship and corsairs certainly lack the discipline and organization required to hold a phalanx, that unit is kinda immersion breaking, where would they even store so many long pikes in a ship

Thats why i think umbar could benefit from a black numenorian elite pike unit while losing the corsair pike, they do have belegaer footmen to counter cav and in my 3 campaigns i never used that unit because pikes are so much better while being much cheaper and making umbar kind of overpowered against dol amroth, since even elite cav gets butchered by pikes in this mod, i've used corsair pikes ( later on with level 4 armor and +2 experience) and they were op for the whole campaign - but since umbar already is very easy, with very good economy, i don't think they really need it

In fact, there are way too many pikemen units in the mod and not that many cavalry to be honest, we have to consider pikes are also very good against infantry ( in this mod, not in vanilla). Wildmen shouldn't have pikemen, a long pike wall is something an trained and disciplined army would have
    Last edited by philipmikh; April 25, 2017 at 08:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by philipmikh View Post
    In fact, there are way too many pikemen units in the mod and not that many cavalry to be honest, we have to consider pikes are also very good against infantry ( in this mod, not in vanilla). Wildmen shouldn't have pikemen, a long pike wall is something an trained and disciplined army would have
    Heh...
    When work started on 2.0 I argued for removing most or all generally available pikes, except for Isengard. Allowing only individual pike units for certain factions recruited in particular settlements, after the manner of the ones available at Tharbad or Imladris. No pikes for Dwarves (4-5 foot tall people dwelling underground wielding 18 foot long weapons...) cav factions and wild men and heavy forest dwellers.
    But it was not successful...

Greetings all, I am just posting an expanded version of my script and small feature suggestions for various factions so if you have seen these before I am sorry.
    In addition any scripts I suggest, unless I mention otherwise, are only meant to be active when the player plays as the faction. In any case, I shall begin.

Lindon: The Departure of the Elves

Firstly I feel Lindon's biggest problem now is variety in their units, (Their other problem of having no enemies nearby is now negated by the fact Ered Luin may declare war on Lindon in 2.0, although having multiple corsair raids, 'scout' raids, leading up to the big one may be fun) as they have a tiny roster with units that have well defined roles, but those units are the only ones you will ever get. Before I voice my suggestion I just wish to say in my opinion the overarching theme of the Elves' scripts are their relationships to the other elven realms and hence I propose an idea in the same vein of the Elven Alliance; at the beginning of the game Lindon is able to recruit a small selection of units from Imladris and Lothlorien from the Grey Havens, and the Grey Havens only, in very small quantities. The reason for this is that it is from these realms that most elves depart Middle-Earth and I feel with the dangers of Umbar and Angmar some of these departing elves may wish to delay their departure by a few years to aid Lindon in clearing a safe way to the West. That first part is entirely code based and would consist of allowing the Grey Havens building to build a few units; the second part is that around the Barracks Event a Lindon Human Player would receive a message stating if they pursue stronger ties with Imladris and Lothlorien they may be able to have more volunteers; essentially if the player had an alliance with Imlardirs of Lothlorien they would be told to send a general to one of the factions regions and once done the player would be able to recruit some of that factions more advance units in small quantities from the Grey Havens or a "Imladris Embassy" and a "Lothlorien Embassy" if adding units to a building via a script is not possible; to receive units from both factions the player would have to have an alliance with both (Not at the same time however) and would had to have sent a general to both.

Imladris: The Council of Elrond

In the same vein as Lindon's alliance script I propose something similar for a human Imladris player only broader to tie in with the Council of Elrond. Essentially as the Council of Elrond encouraged all good races to come together Imladris would receive something to model this; if Imladris is in an alliance with a nation they can send an envoy to that nation to recruit that nation's basic troops in the same manner as Lindon would for their volunteers, in addition they would receive a small stack spawn (two units) from that race when they unlock the units. However, I would only advocate this if adding units to buildings via a script was possible, otherwise it would use up too many spaces. After some thought I think their script should apply to any nation (Even an orc nation) with the reason being that Imladris are convincing and can persuade any ally to give them troops.
    I know there may already be plans for Imladris but I thought I would throw my idea out there.

Angmar: Return of the (Witch) King

The only script idea that I have seen people put forth for Angmar is a return of the Witch-King script where he returns to lead. Hence, I propose that if a human player controls Angmar they can prove to Sauron that Angmar deserves the Witch-King as their leader by controlling 15 regions and eliminating the Northen Dunedain. Once the goals had been met the WK would leave Mordor, and join Angmar as your fraction leader, and if he was killed he would respawn from Carn Dum unless you lost it in which case he would go back to Mordor forever, angry he was beaten again and his capital was captured. This would be communicated to the player via a simple message at the start of the game that would describe Agundar's arrival, with a man of Rhuadar asking why had the Witch-King not been dispatched to lead them once more to glory, and Agundar suggesting for the WK to come they have to prove their worth to Sauron. I feel any lag generated by the script will be negated by the removal of the Ents as a faction.

Gondor: The Beacons of Gondor

Simply put add a beacon of Gondor building to Minas Tirth and allow Gondor to recruit some Rohan units from it, this is a code feature that the AI could use and serves to model the ties Gondor held with Rohan and adds variety.

Rohan: The 10,000 Urk-Hai and the Beacons of Gondor

This suggestion composes of two ideas, one for the player and the AI and a script for a Rohan human player only. The code feature is to add a beacon of Gondor building to a rohan province that has a beacon, and thus allow rohan to recruit basic gondor units; this models the ties between the two fractions and adds variety.
    The second, script idea, is to add difficulty and longevity to Rohan's war with Isengard; I feel it is over far too soon and needs something to add length. Hence, I propose if the player attacks Isengard itself in the first 30 turns a full banner army of Urk-Hai spawns and attacks them; the justification for this is that the full banner army is the 10,000 Urk-Hai that Saruman trains in the books; the possibility would be communicated to the player via a message from Saruman at turn 1. Once turn 30 has been reached the army would spawn anyway and head to the nearest rohan settlement (Unless you are allied with Isengard, in which case you would receive a message stating that no longer with Isengard seek to conquer you) but at turn 29 the player receives a message from Lothlorien stating that their spies have seen a massive Isengard army marching to Rohan and as you share a common enemy they wish to aid you; in addition they also wish Rohan to survive so they do not end up fighting a two-way war. The player can accept the aid and receive a small stack of elvish units led by a generic general or Haldir, that can not be replenished or retrained or deny the aid; this denial encourages more men of rohan to take arms as you refused the support of the "Sorceress of the Golden Wood" as some men of Rohan call her and refused to become a 'puppet' of the elves. Ergo, a medium stack spawns of Rohan units that can be retrained and replenished. The purpose of the stack spawn is to add variety and give new players to Rohan a crutch if they are surprised by the Isengard stack, as in my mind the actual stack itself is not meant to be hard; its the fact you can not attack Isengard for 30 turns.

The Wild Men: The March of Progress

With the coming of 2.0, I feel the Vale of Anduin will become a brutal campaign as if you do not win by the BE, I get the impression you will become severely outclassed and I feel this type of difficulty where you have to win by a certain turn with no chance afterwards is unfair, and not a good sort of difficulty. Additionally I like the idea of the Dunland Rising script where the wildmen have to unlock features everyone else has by default as I feel this is a good way to show their lack of advancement compared to everyone else while still giving the player a way to climb out of this rut. Finally in 2.0 I believe (Correct me if I am wrong) the three wild men factions (Endewaith, Dunland and the Vale of Anduin) will be the only ones without any way of unlocking a large city as Bree and Khand now can unlock the tier via scripts, judging from the previews. Hence, I feel this is arbitrary and restrictions should only apply to a castle as i feel giving the wildmen unlocked cities would allow them to fight back better in the late game. My suggestion, born from these thoughts, is to apply the Dunland Rising restrictions to all three fractions but give them a better way of unlocking their stuff as well as tiers of the city up to Large City, this script would replace Dunland Rising. My concept would be to give all three a new building tree (So fulfillment of the script is an active decision for the player rather than the passive decision it would be if it was tied to an existing building) that goes like this, each construction of this new "Centralization" line would add a point to a counter, so building a village green then a Gathering Stone would add two points overall; they also increase population growth to a minor extent so they have a use beyond the script:
    • Village: Village Green (required to build town)
    • Town: Gathering Stone (Required to build a Large Town)
    • Large Town: Large Gathering Stone (Required to build a City)

There would be three point thresholds, once the player has built ten points worth of structures they would unlock the Gathering Stone and the ability to build large towns,as well as ports and tier 1 of roads; at twenty points they unlock the ability to build siege and the Large Gathering Stone (Hence, cities) and at thirty points they can build elites. This script I feel would give the wildmen the boost they need and give them an interesting script that allows them to catch up with the other fractions as well as removing the arbitrary city restriction. The script would work for the player only, the AI would already start with everything unlocked.
    The 'lore' reason for this is that you, as the leader of the faction, have decided with the advent of a new war the only way for the wildmen to survive is to become more centralized and group together, in doing so you will bring people together with the skills necessary to develop your faction; the building of these new buildings will encourage people to move to a settlement and grow it.

The Rest: Dol Amroth, Erebor, Ered Luin, Dale and the Misty Mountains:

I have no ideas about Dol Amroth and the Misty Mountains but I saw a really cool idea that linked Ered Luin to the Dwarves of the Blue Mountains in the old thread. As for Dale and Erebor perhaps give them an Elven Alliance style script if they need a script; otherwise if someone has an idea please suggest it.

With that my ideas are done; I hoped you enjoyed reading them. If you have any feedback please voice it, and if you like my suggestions feel free to express that. Please however do not comment "I hate them" without a reason, as it may be a valid reason that could improve my ideas. I also would like to say I have tried to restrict suggestions to factions that I feel need them and I have avoided adding new units. I am also sorry for the lack of pictures, I said I would use them but I have decided my post is long enough as it is and pictures would not be good...
    Regarding removing pikes, I feel it is an interesting idea that could be good but lies outside of the scope of the mod. To implement the idea, it would take months of balance testing and may not prove beneficial at all leading to wasted time. I feel it is too radical of a change for the DaC itself but would be good for a sub-mod of DaC; perhaps one that uses the freed unit spaces to implement the Iron Hills. I would love to see that sub-mod from you!
    Last edited by Link12; May 01, 2017 at 06:02 AM.
    All your words are but to say: you are a woman, and your part is in the house. But when the men have died in battle and honour, you have leave to be burned in the house, for the men will need it no more. But I am of the House of Eorl and not a serving-woman. I can ride and wield blade, and I do not fear either pain or death.

But no living man am I! You look upon a woman. Éowyn I am, Éomund's daughter. You stand between me and my lord and kin. Begone, if you be not deathless! For living or dark undead, I will smite you, if you touch him.

My avatar is Romana from Doctor Who, one of my favorite characters in all of fiction

General reply to much that has been offered so far:
    1) The Witch-king returning to Angmar is indeed the current thinking but it exists purely as an idea in our TBD file at the moment.
    2) We do have an idea for Imladris and we will explore that avenue first before we branch onto others as it is completely and utterly unique and borrows form no other system currently in game BUT I feel it will be incredibly divisive with some lauding it as wholly lore accurate and good fun and others considering it totally limiting for no good reason.
    3) We will not change the armour styles of the Noldor around. The vote was close enough and we didn't feel it was worth it as arguments on both sides were plausible.
    4) We will look to redo many of the ancillaries but it again exists only as a TBD line at the moment.
    5) I am very seriously considering making the High Elves train faster in Mountains than anywhere else. So HE would be Mountain>Grass/Forest>Desert and WE would be Forest>Grass>Mountain/Desert. A minor change but it gives some more lore accurate training levels This is to be discussed still. Do note that 'High Elves' in this case would be all of Imladris but ONLY the Elderinwe for Lindon.
    6) BIG changes are being made to the land of southern Harad and I will also look to jazz up the area in the NE as suggested by Skawer (post #17)
    7) There are parts of the Wildmen idea suggest by Links that I can get behind but I am not in favour of allowing them to build the highest tier of city or castle. Additionally there units will stay the same. Their campaigns are not about 'winning before the BE' but rather knowing that you have a REAL fight on your hands after the BE. This is a good kind of fight. You won't face outrageous numbers you will just be outclassed and that I can get behind. So the problem with the idea to lock things out for them a they progress is that we won't add new units nor edit stats so if any unit were locked the pay off would not be great.

Cheers
    Galu

Quote Originally Posted by Arachir Galudirithon View Post
    General reply to much that has been offered so far:
    1) The Witch-king returning to Angmar is indeed the current thinking but it exists purely as an idea in our TBD file at the moment.
    2) We do have an idea for Imladris and we will explore that avenue first before we branch onto others as it is completely and utterly unique and borrows form no other system currently in game BUT I feel it will be incredibly divisive with some lauding it as wholly lore accurate and good fun and others considering it totally limiting for no good reason.
    3) We will not change the armour styles of the Noldor around. The vote was close enough and we didn't feel it was worth it as arguments on both sides were plausible.
    4) We will look to redo many of the ancillaries but it again exists only as a TBD line at the moment.
    5) I am very seriously considering making the High Elves train faster in Mountains than anywhere else. So HE would be Mountain>Grass/Forest>Desert and WE would be Forest>Grass>Mountain/Desert. A minor change but it gives some more lore accurate training levels This is to be discussed still. Do note that 'High Elves' in this case would be all of Imladris but ONLY the Elderinwe for Lindon.
    6) BIG changes are being made to the land of southern Harad and I will also look to jazz up the area in the NE as suggested by Skawer (post #17)
    7) There are parts of the Wildmen idea suggest by Links that I can get behind but I am not in favour of allowing them to build the highest tier of city or castle. Additionally there units will stay the same. Their campaigns are not about 'winning before the BE' but rather knowing that you have a REAL fight on your hands after the BE. This is a good kind of fight. You won't face outrageous numbers you will just be outclassed and that I can get behind. So the problem with the idea to lock things out for them a they progress is that we won't add new units nor edit stats so if any unit were locked the pay off would not be great.

Cheers
    Galu
    Thanks for replying! I am humbled that even some of my ideas are good.
    Last edited by Link12; April 26, 2017 at 03:33 PM.
    All your words are but to say: you are a woman, and your part is in the house. But when the men have died in battle and honour, you have leave to be burned in the house, for the men will need it no more. But I am of the House of Eorl and not a serving-woman. I can ride and wield blade, and I do not fear either pain or death.

But no living man am I! You look upon a woman. Éowyn I am, Éomund's daughter. You stand between me and my lord and kin. Begone, if you be not deathless! For living or dark undead, I will smite you, if you touch him.

My avatar is Romana from Doctor Who, one of my favorite characters in all of fiction

Would splitting Follower of Malcore into 2-3 different cultures be possible?

Quote Originally Posted by ivam50 View Post
    Would splitting Follower of Malcore into 2-3 different cultures be possible?
    No. There's a limit of 7 total cultures and we are using all of them.

that makes sence

Quote Originally Posted by Infidel144 View Post
    Heh...
    When work started on 2.0 I argued for removing most or all generally available pikes, except for Isengard. Allowing only individual pike units for certain factions recruited in particular settlements, after the manner of the ones available at Tharbad or Imladris. No pikes for Dwarves (4-5 foot tall people dwelling underground wielding 18 foot long weapons...) cav factions and wild men and heavy forest dwellers.
    But it was not successful...
    I agree that there should be less pike units in the game (only elite units and nations that have a good reason to have them). But than when I fought about it I cannot come up with many to remove :-D I understand that removing the sharpened stakes makes pikes much more important for the non cavalry nations but the rest should really not have many of them.
    -I really don't want Gondor to have more pike units than just the one special pike from osgiliath (They have enough spear units and having a different pike unit really takes away from the osgiliath spec. unit uniqueness), I also think that Gonder really has enough units as it stands. (honestly this to a lesser extent true also for Dol Amroth).
    -Dunland pikes, Dale Pikes, Ork pikes and Dorwinion pikes make a lot of sense as the pike is a cheap and effective way a poor nation would fight a richter cavalry nation (viz the scots in the real world). also these nations have some traditions fighting a cav heavy civ. (Rhauder pikes could have been trained by the witch king to fight the superior Arnorian knights in the fall of Arnor era.).
    -Pikes I am not so sure of are the Vale Pikes (I don't really think that they fit the Vale main battle tactics + I would really rather have a really strong cav option for them... Bear cav ideally :-D ), Dwarf pikes (I see no problem with dwarf having them it's just not really the best weapon for an underground war (well it is in med II but not so much in real live) and also the dwarf pikes are just too good).
    -I understand the basic Umbar pikes are there just too fight the Dol Amroth cav. But honestly I believe that if umbar let itself to be attacked in the open by dol amroth they should suffer the consequences- I agree they should be an elite unit of pikes for umbar or no pikes at all.

This?

Quote Originally Posted by ivam50 View Post
    This?
    I think this is a base Med II problem. This space would be taken up by upgrade buildings that you have not build yet.
    (but yeah having more space in (or around) settlements when you defend would be great)

Quote Originally Posted by TheEliteDwarf View Post
    No. There's a limit of 7 total cultures and we are using all of them.
    So we have Followers of melkor, Dwarves, Dunedain, Northmen, Elves, Middlemen and OTHERS. As far as i saw in game only Fangorn faction actually used the others culture as 100, and they wont be a faction in 2.0. So maybe others culture can be changed, or does it represent the heretics or something like and must be present around and cannot be changed?

Because if its there to purely give fangorn a special culture (and maybe slaves aka rebels?) then with fangorn gone, another faction can take over that role and get its own culture. (sorry for double post, cant edit just yet)

Quote Originally Posted by elud View Post
    Because if its there to purely give fangorn a special culture (and maybe slaves aka rebels?) then with fangorn gone, another faction can take over that role and get its own culture. (sorry for double post, cant edit just yet)
    MInor forum etiquette first: do try to organise your immediate thoughts into a single post as it helps the forum out a great deal! Hahaha

Now regarding the culture, TBH I had always assumed it was required to have an 'other' but now that I think about it I am not sure it actually is required and it could indeed be used by someone else. However the standout candidate would be the 'Evil Men' and unfortunately, if they were made a different culture they would not be able to participate in Invasions as this is a 'catholic' only feature.

Yeah you are right about that, but sometimes all toughts dont come around at same time Will try to be more focues until i can edit. Sorry.

Yes I know they wouldnt be able to participate in invasions (but when playing evil nation i almost never do anyway, and for a good nation that would only mean 1 army less targeting our settlement), but if its possible to change, it could give a gameplay spice up for a nation Like Umbar or Khand (or maybe isengard but this one doesnt seem so easily justified). Since there was talk for khand to get a choice to stay loyal to evil nations or backstab them, and umbar is more fun to play if you backstab them anyway, so i was thinking around those two.

I guess I can share there's been a little discussion on using the 'Other' religion for Khand's future Blue Wizards script. If they rebel against Sauron their religion would change from 'Followers of Melkor' to whatever we decide to call Other (or just 'Other' if it's name cannot be changed), both for roleplay purposes, to permanantly block Khand from joining Invasions and to then permanently make Khand a possible Invasion target.

So I quite enjoy playing the elves particularly the two high elf factions and was thinking of an interesting way to spice up the campaign. Now, this is not entirely lore accurate but bear with me, what of series of events similar to the Aragorn script line (aka a quest) could be made for Elrond or Cirdan in order to claim the Noldor high kingship. This could perhaps then be used as either just a flavour quest (maybe gain an ancillary) or is could give a more definitive bonus perhaps a script army or a decrease in training time or a bump in the king's purse. Personally, I would love to see this unify Lindon and Imladris in one faction but I think that may be too much to ask.

As for the quest itself it would require certain territories be reclaimed and certain buildings get built, For Imladris you need to control the old regions of Eregion as well as north into the Rhudaur lands, rebuild the Gwaith-i-Mirdan in Ost in Edhil and construct perhaps a unique building in both Imladris itself (a throne room perhaps or a greater library) an Anon-en-Orod, perhaps a unique watchtower or something like that to guard from the mountains, you would also need an alliance with Lindon.

For Lindon you would need to be a bit aggressive, you would need Caras Calarnen, Undertowers and Buzra-Dum and everything south to the Greyflood. In Undertowers you would need to build a council chamber beneath the towers, in Buzra perhaps a great gem mine (a throwback to the silmarils) and in Mithlond itself you would need to build a great throne room like Imladris itself and the Alliance with Imladris as well.

Not lore accurate at all with regards to Cirdan, who is not descended of the Noldorin Royal House, and not a Noldo at all.
    More lore accurate for Elrond, who is descended from Finwe and 2 High Kings of the Noldor (as well, in an earlier version of The Silmarillion, before Gil-galad was invented, Elrond sort of had Gil-galad's place in that he 'ruled in the west of the world' after the War of Wrath (see Shaping of Middle-earth or Lost Road).

Celebon21's Avatar Civis

I REALLY love the idea of switching Imladris and Lindon's skins. It's lore accurate!

However, wouldn't the Imladris Riders and Eldarinwe Lancers basically match at that point? They'd both be silver red and blue. MAYBE make Imladris Riders look more white gold looking and call them The Kights of the Golden Flower or something cool like that. They would obviously be Glorfindel's BG.

I'm so happy you guys are finally getting to the High Elves. It figures I will be off training in US Navy bootcamp by the time it drops haha

Lindon is going to get real interesting with Ered Luin attacking them early.
    Last edited by Celebon21; April 26, 2017 at 08:59 PM.