Page 10 of 113 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819203560110 ... LastLast

Thread: DaC - Official Suggestions Thread

Default Re: DaC - Official Suggestions Thread

My choice script would be for Ered Luin only; Khazad-Dum already has enough scripts and I feel Erebor has no need for scripts with their starting location and their unit variety, with the additional factor that another evil nation would unbalance the region Erebor is in heavily. Eriador however could use another evil nation in the west. I have no intention of even suggesting for Erebor or Khazad-Dum getting a choice script as although we can justify it for Ered Luin, it would make no sense for either of those 2 and would take away from the newly gained uniqueness of Ered Luin.
    Regarding your comments about buildings, as a beta tester, I will say there are plans going on behind the scenes that need as many building trees left free as possible; hence, my reluctance to use building trees for things that can be done via scripts.
    All your words are but to say: you are a woman, and your part is in the house. But when the men have died in battle and honour, you have leave to be burned in the house, for the men will need it no more. But I am of the House of Eorl and not a serving-woman. I can ride and wield blade, and I do not fear either pain or death.

But no living man am I! You look upon a woman. Éowyn I am, Éomund's daughter. You stand between me and my lord and kin. Begone, if you be not deathless! For living or dark undead, I will smite you, if you touch him.

My avatar is Romana from Doctor Who, one of my favorite characters in all of fiction

Yes, however after its been in the mod for a few months people will start asking for it, mark my words.

By the by, are you talking about the supposed plan for resource buildings? Or am i complelty missing the mark?

@Impaller
    In regards to question number 1, people may want it but they won't get it (If they even ask...). The answer to that will be that every faction has something unique and if all dwarf nations had a Choice then it would take away the uniqueness Ered Luin would have; besides people ask for a lot of things (I'm thinking of Goats and Arnor) and we can deny those easily enough.
    With regards to the buildings, let me put it this way: The less building trees an idea uses, the more chance it has to be accepted for there may be plans to have more building trees than just resource buildings, and I would not be surprised if the Reunited Kingdom used at least one building tree (That is my own speculation and has not be planned, at least not that I have seen); I will not say more on the matter.
    Last edited by Link12; May 18, 2017 at 07:06 AM.
    All your words are but to say: you are a woman, and your part is in the house. But when the men have died in battle and honour, you have leave to be burned in the house, for the men will need it no more. But I am of the House of Eorl and not a serving-woman. I can ride and wield blade, and I do not fear either pain or death.

But no living man am I! You look upon a woman. Éowyn I am, Éomund's daughter. You stand between me and my lord and kin. Begone, if you be not deathless! For living or dark undead, I will smite you, if you touch him.

My avatar is Romana from Doctor Who, one of my favorite characters in all of fiction

Hmmm, ill concede for now. Quick question though, so we only have a couple of building trees avaible, how many one off buildings are possible?

@Link

Thanks for the clarification. I thought you were wanting new settlements .

Quote Originally Posted by Impaller View Post
    Hmmm, ill concede for now. Quick question though, so we only have a couple of building trees avaible, how many one off buildings are possible?
    Can you clarify? How many trees or how many buildings per tree? You can easily look it up in the thread in the moddding section about hardcoded limits

I figured the question was clear, if there is a limit to building trees, does that also apply to single tear buildings? Or are they different?

Id look at the thread of which you speak except I have zero idea where it is.

Ngugi's Avatar TATW & Albion Local Mod

Max building trees: 128
    Max buildings per tree: 9
    http://www.twcenter.net/wiki/Hardcod..._buildings.txt

To answer the question, a building tree with only one building in it still takes up 1 of the 128 tree slots.

Kingdom of Lindon preview video out

DCI: Last Alliance
    - WIP Second Age mod | DCI: Tôl Acharn - mighty Dúnedain Counter Invasions |
    Additional Mercenary Minimod - more mercs; for TATW and DCI | Family Tree minimods - lore improvements | Remade Event Pictures - enhance cultures trough images |
    Favorite TATW compilation: Withwnars Submod Collection
    Patron of Mank, Kiliç Alì, FireFreak111, MIKEGOLF & Arachir Galudirithon, Earl of Memory

Quote Originally Posted by Impaller View Post
    I figured the question was clear, if there is a limit to building trees, does that also apply to single tear buildings? Or are they different?

Id look at the thread of which you speak except I have zero idea where it is.
    There is on building trees and a limit of how many buildings in each tree and all buildings need to be part of a building tree.

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...hardcoded-list is the link to the list of the hardcoded features, known at the moment.

I like the idea of Ered Luin re-exploring the old First Age holds, perhaps triggering some sort of evil attack (either from within the ancient cities, or from elsewhere). Alternatively (or additionally), Ered Luin could receive incentives (scripted or otherwise) to send armies to help the other dwarves in the defense of Erebor or Khazad-dum (perhaps an adaptation of the crusade/jihad mechanic?). That could give the player something more to do beyond expanding their local domain.

Personally, I'm less interested in scripting allowing the dwarves to join Sauron. I assume that such a script would only apply for the player, and honestly the player already has the option to play "evil" dwarves by attacking the elves and men, if they want. Furthermore, I'm not a huge fan of it from a lore perspective - although I recall Sauron's offer to the dwarves, I don't recall any dwarf ever taking it seriously, given their long animosity with Sauron and his servants (as Impaller and TheEliteDwarf have already noted).

If the concern is to make the northwest feel less "safe," then perhaps a solution would be to raise the chances of random rebel stacks spawning, to represent the sorts of brigands, orcs, and monsters that Aragorn claims the Rangers defend against. These would incentivize both players and AI to keep forces at home for defense, and potentially slow down AI expansion by picking off smaller settlements.

Quote Originally Posted by adun12345 View Post
    Alternatively (or additionally), Ered Luin could receive incentives (scripted or otherwise) to send armies to help the other dwarves in the defense of Erebor or Khazad-dum (perhaps an adaptation of the crusade/jihad mechanic?). That could give the player something more to do beyond expanding their local domain.
    If Djihad is ever adapted in DaC, I'd rather have it for the Dunedain factions being some Counter invasions, Tôl Acharn or whatever it would be called.

But to enhance dwarven gameplay, we could use some scr*pts as a call to aid, a bit like MOS uses to do with the counter invasions (giving a certain amount of money to raise an army, selecting the region in which the army will spawn, etc...) if some important holds do fall.

Quote Originally Posted by adun12345 View Post
    I like the idea of Ered Luin re-exploring the old First Age holds, perhaps triggering some sort of evil attack (either from within the ancient cities, or from elsewhere). Alternatively (or additionally), Ered Luin could receive incentives (scripted or otherwise) to send armies to help the other dwarves in the defense of Erebor or Khazad-dum (perhaps an adaptation of the crusade/jihad mechanic?). That could give the player something more to do beyond expanding their local domain.

Personally, I'm less interested in scripting allowing the dwarves to join Sauron. I assume that such a script would only apply for the player, and honestly the player already has the option to play "evil" dwarves by attacking the elves and men, if they want. Furthermore, I'm not a huge fan of it from a lore perspective - although I recall Sauron's offer to the dwarves, I don't recall any dwarf ever taking it seriously, given their long animosity with Sauron and his servants (as Impaller and TheEliteDwarf have already noted).

If the concern is to make the northwest feel less "safe," then perhaps a solution would be to raise the chances of random rebel stacks spawning, to represent the sorts of brigands, orcs, and monsters that Aragorn claims the Rangers defend against. These would incentivize both players and AI to keep forces at home for defense, and potentially slow down AI expansion by picking off smaller settlements.
    As the rebels are passive, spawning more of them do not have a hige impact, as they aren't a threat, the onyl thing is they might be annoying for you to move troops or block some trade, but more a minor annoyance than a problem.

The idea of excavating new level could be made with a single building tree, representing the levels excavated. The idea would be that the first tier is prebuilt in the mountains,giving malus like reduced growth due to the "depopulation", less public order and so on, and higher levels first reduce the malus and then give access to bonus and maybe some special unit or additional blacksmith or maybe even ships they get at some, point as that would limit ships to the blue mountain and giving them the option to sail when they want. With 8 buildable levels assuming the first is built as default and not destroyable there is a lot of options.

I do not know if it is possible, but if the barracks could be made not available in the blue mountains all the troops would need to come from the level excavated. But I do not know if that would be a problem for the AI.

As Lindon is designed to be the beginners faction, I suggest making it the default selection in the faction selection screen of the campaign, as the default is often tried out first be new beginners.

As the rebels are passive, spawning more of them do not have a hige impact, as they aren't a threat, the onyl thing is they might be annoying for you to move troops or block some trade, but more a minor annoyance than a problem.
    Well Arachir did say in his Rhun let's play that he will look to create a Bandit faction that is active so bandit spawns might work.
    If Djihad is ever adapted in DaC, I'd rather have it for the Dunedain factions being some Counter invasions, Tôl Acharn or whatever it would be called.
    I feel the Dwarves would be suitable for the Jihads as we know that when Azog killed Thror and Thrain started the War of Dwarves and Orcs all six other houses of the Dwarves sent support. Also I feel the Dunedain have enough going on as it is while the Dwarvish campaigns are much more monotone.
    As Lindon is designed to be the beginners faction, I suggest making it the default selection in the faction selection screen of the campaign, as the default is often tried out first be new beginners.
    Good idea

Regarding removing regions: Not asking for it to be removed as I don't have suggestions for a new settlement but why is Archet a region? Sure you can get Dunedain from it but you might as well recruit them from the Prancing Pony as they seem to go to Bree regularly and the AI loves putting Barliman in there which makes it easier to take him out as Angmar.

We all know cavalry doesn't perform too well in prolonged combat yet there are many cavalry units that occupy this niche albeit not too successfully. Why not buff these cavalry units by giving them AP in order to help them excel where they are supposed to. If the argument against it is that "AP damage will be applied to the charge and they will be too OP" further nerf these respective cavalry units charge stat to compensate. After all the point of this change to to help them kill units when they are engaged in combat.

Quote Originally Posted by bmhtc10 View Post
    We all know cavalry doesn't perform too well in prolonged combat yet there are many cavalry units that occupy this niche albeit not too successfully. Why not buff these cavalry units by giving them AP in order to help them excel where they are supposed to. If the argument against it is that "AP damage will be applied to the charge and they will be too OP" further nerf these respective cavalry units charge stat to compensate. After all the point of this change to to help them kill units when they are engaged in combat.
    Cavalry will never be great in prolonged melee. Rohan has already an AP cavalry, which is really usefull, but still used as a charge and retreat units, so I am against giving all AP to more cavalry as that would take away the uniquness of Rohan. I am sorry but a horse is just a large target if it stands still and heavy armor will prevent sone of the riders to fight on the ground effectivly in real life. So use cavalry as you should, for the increase maneuverability and speed and the charge.

Even with the possible active rebels I am against enableing random army spawn as you can not prevent them even if you have like public order of 200% and full cilture for yourself and scripted spawns just would feel out of place if the faction developed differently than expected.

Going slightly of topic here:

There are several units in the game that are considered to be good fighters BUT don't have a helmet (even after the armor upgrade). It ok for militia to have nothing but a weapon but if a unit is somewhat of a fighter and has a shield it really should have a helmet. An good example would be the woodman warriors for VoA I would love to see there upgraded skin to have an helmet. I think that the Mod "the last days" (google under TDL) for mount and blade had a great idea about the look of woodsman helmets (And honestly all the concept art for this mod is great too look at) :-) .

I also think I would be cool if the reason for Dale and Rhun to start at war would be that Dale killed a dragon :-D. Maybe going as far as to give Rhun a special building in Esgaroth that would have a connection to the dragons remains...
    Last edited by Skawer; May 19, 2017 at 04:04 PM.

I do like the idea of helmets in the upgrades, as it looks like a huge weakness. I would like to see more visual upgrades in general, but know that it is a lot of work.

After watching today's youtube video from Arachir Galudirithon and noticed how much time he (And I guess most of us that play DaC) spends placing watchtowers. There for I came up with an idea:

Use the extra culture slot for a new watchtower model. This model would resemble an old fortification, or half ruined stone tower. They would be scattered in strategic places of the map (don't read this as seeing the whole region). The idea is that nations that came before left ruins that are easy to man and use as a watchtowers. If not in most of the regions, I would really like to see the used in regions that can recruit rangers (as they would surly make use such ruined positions). And as these spacial ruined watchtowers could not be build by the player, nor AI there could be even special battlemaps around them.