Page 116 of 119 FirstFirst ... 166691106107108109110111112113114115116117118119 LastLast
Results 2,301 to 2,320 of 2367

Thread: DaC - Official Suggestions Thread

El Monstero29's Avatar Semisalis

Default Re: DaC - Official Suggestions Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Roma_Victrix View Post
    I don't have a suggestion other than to say keep doing what you're doing with the music in this mod, perhaps the best music in any TATW mod that I've heard. I usually feel the need to tweak the music of various mods to fit my tastes, but I'm always pleasantly surprised when I don't feel the need to do so at all! Saves me the time and effort.

I haven't yet conquered the lands of Harandor and the Men of the East to the far south, so I'm not sure if they have this gem on the battle map or not. If not you should definitely add it to the soundtrack. It is by far the best M2TW Middle Eastern battle map melee song: "Wind Cuts".

This is high praise from someone whom I took great inspiration from when making the sound overhaul for DAC. I'm glad you're liking it so far. I've been using your Soundtrack submod for EBII for several years now.

Also, I can confirm the song you posted is indeed part of the southmen battlemap soundtrack.

appologies Henneth Annun isn't a village its a Citidel but my request still stands mostly for lore reasons as the hideout was just cave and ment as a point of rest. Also is their a possibility the Minas Morgul/Ithil can get a rework to be more inline with its past as a Gondorian City?

Cheers for all the hard work the DAC team has put into this mod, really enjoyed the half dozen or so factions I've played through so far.

Just started playing an Ar-Adunaim campaign and absolutely loving it. I know you pointed out it isn't the most lore-friendly faction, but in the interests of prioritising fun and interesting game play I'd have to say you've nailed it, Ar-Adunaim is a lot of fun.
    Whilst playing with them i did think of a couple of ideas that could make them even more unique interesting, although it is certainly an opinion based thing. I just thought I'd throw a couple of ideas out and see if anyone agrees.

From my point of view the Ar-Adunaim currently lean towards the neutral side in diplomacy, which makes a lot of sense. They're surviving descendants of numenor, whilst not being the "faithful" like the dunedain, they would probably not be huge fans of sauron. I mean, they must've worked out he tricked them leading to the whole numenor under the ocean fiasco, but at the same time he wasn't the one that literally drowned their homeland, so it makes sense they'd have a somewhat negative opinion of both the "Good" factions and the "Evil" factions. In other words, unlike many other factions who are just "good" or "bad" they're a bit grey, and I'm thinking this could be reflected in some interesting ways, mostly flavour stuff.

So, for example, you could write biographies for the 3 starting family member generals, obviously i know this would be made up but hey it's a chance to be a bit creative and have some fun with it. My thinking was one generals could be a complete pragmatist, he'll side with anyone/anything that will help him attain wealth and power so bonuses to tax income as well as slight buffs to fighting good and bad factions, another general despises the dunedain as traitors and pretenders and sees the other human nations as weak, he leans more towards the evil factions and would get bonuses fighting the good ones, the other general is the opposite, whilst he's not overly fond of the dunedain/elves he knows the real causes of their fall from power is due to sauron's influence and so gets certain benefits when fighting "Evil" Factions. For some reason in my head these personalities applied to the faction leader, his eldest son and then his youngest (the ranger one) respectively, but of course they could be applied to any of them.

Also just wondering if unlike "good" and "evil" factions, are the Ar-Adunaim gernals able to get both good and bad traits/ancillaries? I know for most DAC factions good factions tend to get honourable and just traits while evil ones get dishonourable ones. I think it would be interesting if you could lean into that grey area Ar-Adunaim occupies. I.e. you can go around executing prisoners and massacring cities ( very black numenorean style) then they gain the wicked traits and your general gain noble traits if you act in the opposite manner. This way you can slowly build up characters that either lean towards the side of good or evil. Also, i thought it could be nice if this was reflected in the messages that pop up when the faction gains or loses a lot of territory. I noticed it mentioned raiding gondor in the Ar-Adunaim prospers message window, the thing is, I wasn't raiding gondor, i was fighting isengard. So messages that are just a bit more vague in terms of who you are fighting are probably the way to, since Ar-Adunaim are so open you could be fighting literally anyway, just something about the rise of a new numenor or surpassing Gondor and the ND etc

Aesthetic - Very much an opinion thing
    First off, their look is fantastic. The crimson red on black is probably my favourite of any faction, and believe it or not black is actually the best colour to wear in the heat so their units wearing it actually makes perfect sense. The hooded look many of their units have is also a great touch and the face masks many units wear looks incredible. One thing that came to mind as a slight change to their look is for a couple of their units have a slightly more Numenorean feel to them. Obviously they've been in hot desert conditions with influences from many eastern nations so they'd look different to Gondor and Arnor but maybe some of their more elite units could look more similar to them, as a sort of call back to the 3 factions common origins.
    On the topic of units i wouldn't mind seeing some small tweaks to their stats, in particular morale. I know the argument made for having slightly lower morale was they've come to raid so there not as willing to die for money, but to me that sounds more like an umbar thing. I saw the Ar-Adunaim as more of a migration of Numenoran descendents lead by a king looking to carve out a new homeland and kingdom for themselves, kinda like the angry middle child the three Numenorean nations in the west of Middle Earth and for this reason their morale would be similar to that of other highly motivated nations like Gondor and ND.

On a side note, I feel I have to mention how much i like the portraits for the faction leader and the ranger son. They're exactly what I'd envision the portraits of the Ar-Adunaim would look like.

Anyway, there's just some thoughts i had on the Ar-Adunaim. They're a really fun and unique faction in DAC and i'd love to see them fulfil that niche role of sort of unknown force in middle earth that could help or hinder either side or even help and hinder both sides.

Keep up the fantastic work and i can't wait for version 4.

Dwarven Invasions!

The discussion about good side counter invasions on page 115 have made me think about Dwarven Jihads a whole lot. I actually think it's something that could work well.

So the idea is that if a non-dwarven faction captures a main dwarven settlement an invasion could be called to reclaim said settlement. For an invasion to be called the settlement holder needs to be at war with the Dwarven faction calling the Jihad and the settlement needs to be one of the main Dwarven settlements, Like Erebor, Thorin's Halls, Iron hills etc.

Any Dwarven factions unless they are allied with the target of the Jihad could join in and send their warriors to reclaim the settlement for the dwarven race. For example: Rhun conquers the Iron Hills, Erebor calls on the other dwarves for aid and Ered Luin and Khazad-Dum gets the option to join in an adventure.

Dwarven invasions should be limited to defense though, only a small list of key Dwarven holds should be Jihadable. Dwarven invasions should also only be declared after the Barracks event or maybe even later so we don't get the situation where an invasion is called early against a settlement that start out as non-dwarven. Both AI and player should be able to call on an invasion.

The list of settlements able to be called on could be: Erebor, the Iron hills, Thorin's halls, Gabilgathol, Khazad-Dum east and west, Gundabad, Dain's halls and maybe Buzra-Dum and Zagh Kala.

An army that joins a Dwarven invasion should be able to recruit Sons of the Fallen and maybe certain Orocarni dwarven units as mercenaries.

Arguments:
    Ered Luin always win against Angmar so it could spruce up the late game a bit if Ered Luin would aid a weakened Erebor against the onslaught of the Easterlings.
    If Khazad-Dum is defeated a new Dwarven host could come marching to recliam the halls of Durin.
    If good guy victory is had in the Northwest Ered Luin and Khazad-Dum could still do something if Erebor is hard pressed etc.
    This is actually what they did in lore with the war between the Dwarves and Orcs.

So what do you think?
    Last edited by Hyddan92; September 15, 2019 at 08:14 PM.

Roma_Victrix's Avatar Gatorade, is it in you?

Quote Originally Posted by El Monstero29 View Post
    This is high praise from someone whom I took great inspiration from when making the sound overhaul for DAC. I'm glad you're liking it so far. I've been using your Soundtrack submod for EBII for several years now.

Also, I can confirm the song you posted is indeed part of the southmen battlemap soundtrack.
    Thanks for the kind words and for letting me know about the track above! That should be fun to listen to I think.

Cut the Elven unit that Anduin receives from Amon Lanc (no need for that unit) and add an elite unit only recruitable in Framsburg called Framguard or something along those lines in honor of Fram the Dragonslayer. In kind to how Dale's units are named after Bard. I think this would add to the personality of Anduin with another AoR elite and give the Etheod more punch.

Someone in the youtube comments of dev diary 23 had a suggestion with regards to the Balrog that would make the most sense. User Alistair Storey

[QUOTE]For the orc, who will represent the general for the Balrog, you could make him a type of shaman who is placating and getting the Balrog to fight for the Orcs of Moria. The Balrog did not want to fight for the orcs in Moria, they were frightened of him and he just lived as the demon of the depths. Therefore you could go with the idea that this orc shaman is the one who has won the favour of the Balrog and has convinced him to lead the orcs in battle. If the orc dies and the Balrog does not then it makes sense that the Balrog is no longer available as a general. The one who convinced the Balrog to fight for the orcs has died, therefore the Balrog no longer deems the orcs worthwhile to fight for.[/QUOTE]

Quote Originally Posted by jamesa82 View Post
    I think it would be interesting if you could lean into that grey area Ar-Adunaim occupies. I.e. you can go around executing prisoners and massacring cities ( very black numenorean style) then they gain the wicked traits and your general gain noble traits if you act in the opposite manner.
    The system has already been overhauled. Now chivalry is renamed renown. All generals have renown except for totally evil monsters, such as the Balrog, the Nazgul, Sauron and maybe some others.

It would be really cool if Dale's ballistas had the ability to fire black arrows (more range with higher accuracy but less AOE). They would excel at long rang beast slaying.

Roma_Victrix's Avatar Gatorade, is it in you?

Quote Originally Posted by Fly You Fools! View Post
    It would be really cool if Dale's ballistas had the ability to fire black arrows (more range with higher accuracy but less AOE). They would excel at long rang beast slaying.
    Those aren't arrows, like something fired from a bow, they're ballista bolts. Even the ammunition for a crossbow is called a "bolt", not an arrow, even if they look like similar projectiles. As for your suggestion, though, it sounds pretty cool, although for people who have settings where ammunition/arrows disappear automatically after a few seconds this seems like a rather ephemeral concern. I'd rather see the DAC team do something to avoid the problem I had where Dol Amroth literally betrayed me even though I was allied with them and I thought alliances were sacrosanct in these mods. It had something to do with the script for Dol Amroth retaking Edhellond, no doubt, so that should be looked into post haste before anything else, IMHO.

Why not take some unit and building inspiration from Battle for Middle Earth two/one?

Instead of the goblins having a siege weapon, they can instead build a fire drake which breathes close range fire and has a strong hide or a giant that hurls boulders.
    Switchout the Naptha Bombers of Rhun to Umbar haveing a unit that throws "firebombs" (basically molotovs) and replace it with a special lance throwing unit for Rhun
    Dol Guldur and Moria Goblins could share some type of spider calvary overshadowing wargs
    I think a drummer troll is a must have for Mordor factions
    Clans of Enedwaith could get some melee/archer unit hybrid called a rhovanian woodsmen, or Beorns faction

Including special buildings like a Gondor stone masonry and market, Good faction fountain of health, Dwarf mine, Dwarf siege works, Isengard furnace, Orc slaughter house, Mordor/Angmar slave farm, spider den, treasure trove, fissure, Ent Moot, Malorn Tree, Numenorian vault, Hornblower's farm, Pits of Angband, Citadel of Nurnen, Tower of the overseer, Ruins of Utumno, Mathom house, Tom Bombadil's house, Umbar Tavern, Isengard Armoury, Haradrim Palace, Barracks of Cirth Ungol, Hobbit Inn, Angmar Dark Forge, Angmar wolf Den, Angmar Dark temple, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Roma_Victrix View Post
    Those aren't arrows, like something fired from a bow, they're ballista bolts. Even the ammunition for a crossbow is called a "bolt", not an arrow, even if they look like similar projectiles. As for your suggestion, though, it sounds pretty cool, although for people who have settings where ammunition/arrows disappear automatically after a few seconds this seems like a rather ephemeral concern. I'd rather see the DAC team do something to avoid the problem I had where Dol Amroth literally betrayed me even though I was allied with them and I thought alliances were sacrosanct in these mods. It had something to do with the script for Dol Amroth retaking Edhellond, no doubt, so that should be looked into post haste before anything else, IMHO.
    It is unrelated to the script to take Edhellond. It happens seemingly at random after about 100 turns. I have seen it before. It is a problem with the implementation of the no wars feature added by TATW. I don't know how that works and haven't gotten around to teaching myself yet.

I don't care for your style of humour.

After now several playthroughs of version 3 I would like to chime in with my thoughts. . The inclusion now of the Orcs of Gundabad, while a nifty concept has further deterioated the balance between the forces of middle earth.. By turn 100 in any campaign now... Not only is gondor and Dol Amroth automatically doomed.. But so now too are any good faction outside of the eastern mountain borders. The red dwarves, Dale, and dorwinion might as well not exist.. They cannot contend now with Rhun along with snow orcs coming from the east. The only way I have found this entire mod playable anymore is to take one of the nuetral clans..enedwaith or corsairs and commit them to the good factions cause. The balance in this mod is largely broken, there is no struggle except which evil factions will hold which properties. Playing as any good faction, which is what most of us want 2 do, is entirely useless anymore. By the time you deal with Angmar or any likewise enemy, the restof the game is over. I still can't believe I'm the only one who sees this, but maybe I've played this game more than the majority of these hobbits. No insult intended, but this mod is broken. If your intent, was to ensure the end of Men, my lord Sauron, it has truly worked.
    Last edited by Majordea; September 28, 2019 at 05:17 PM.

^ Balancing the game perfectly is very difficult and it makes sense for evil to have the advantage. Gondor should be in a tough spot, but I don't think they're always doomed that early. What factions have you played?

The version 3 game I completed was as Vale of Anduin and it was not especially hard and the Eastern Good block did well, although I rushed Dul Guldur. Maybe Dul Guldur should be made to focus more on the Woodland Realm and less on Dorwinion, if that is indeed possible.

For the record, in the next version there will be a region between Gundabad and the Vale of Anduin to slow down the Snow orcs a bit more, and I think there will be the possibility for the Woodland Realm to attack the Snow orcs as well, if that's not currently present. Also Gondor will have their military academy retrain fiefdom units so that should really help them on the defense.

Edit: Now that I recall a little better I remember that I was able to seize a lot of rebel territory and even had about half of Rhovanian. This was in turn 40 or thereabouts. Dorwinion should probably get more land in the auto-expansion if they are having difficulties. Frankly most rebel territory should be made auto expansion because the AI is just not aggressive enough against rebels and has to auto resolve.
    Last edited by Steward Denethor II; September 28, 2019 at 09:34 PM.

The only way to be a good faction, is to cheat your way through. I don't like that this game is designed to promote cheating. If I chase down every enemy post victory, and if I capture settlements without waiting a turn I can be the one good faction who holds precedence over middle earth. My playstyle, is that if the computer can't do it, neither do I. That may be my undoing with these good factions, but it highlights just how unbalanced this game has become. Something as simple as a telecharn good guys invasion would at least give us something 2 chew on. Have any of you guys played as dorwinion and tried yourself 2 deal with Rhun? It is not hard, it is impossible...if it is impossible for the human player, there is no hope for the AI whatsoever.

I've said the same thing for a long time now, the human player has to strike hard against Rhun/Mordor NO MATTER WHAT FACTION they pick, or the game takes the same course every time: giant rhun/mordor blob. This is why i've been asking for good/jihad invasions so the good A.I.s of Eriador can do something useful in the east instead of leaving it all on the shoulders of the human player.

Forget about playing a evil faction as evil, no challenge. Evil human player must betray mordor/rhun to have anything resembling a challenging game. This is why in any game I play, I take the ring and keep it. It takes all the evil factions declaring war on me to make a challenge.

Human Dorwinion can handle Rhun. use boats with siege equipment to snipe all their cities around the sea of rhun while their big stacks are out in the field.

Desperately needed: mechanic to recreate "the last alliance", Invasions sent from Northern Dunedain/High Elves against choice evil cities in the east. Give us JIHAD!

What about to have in late game some gunpowder thecnology? For example, Erebor's Grenadiers (like powerful Naphtha Throwers, throwing fire-flame's grenades) or Uruk-Hai Sappers (Explosive Mines), this 2 units should be mercenaries as well, one for goodies & the other for the evilies. Condition: When you reach 170 turns it has a chance to activate the following script in your capital: Want to build Guild of Engineers (Goodies) / Guild of Alchemists (Evilies)?

Potential Text (Goodies):
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Blacklock Engineers in Erebor made a new discovery. A deadly new weapon. The Gunpowder. This dark powder may look innocent enough, but when brought to spark, it explodes with a force that is unmatched.

This terrible weapon will make armour obsolete, and render castle walls near useless. It would be wise to be first to master its use in war.

Advise: For your safety, engineer, don't have an apprentice close the gunpowder with a torch or you may will be the next to experience its power, with your death.

Potential Pic (Goodies):

Potential Text (Evilies):

Saruman's net spread the word to Dark Lord's alchemists around the world about a deadly weapon, forgotten in Orthanc's library. The Gunpowder. This dark powder may look innocent enough, but when brought to spark, it explodes with a force that is unmatched.

This terrible weapon will make armour obsolete, and render castle walls near useless. It would be wise to be first to master its use in war.

Warning: Be careful having a minion fooling around the gunpowder with a torch or you may will be the next to experience its power, with your death.

Potential Pic (Evilies):

Potential Stats:
    Very good stamina, armored, unbreakable, cause fear nearby enemies, no shield, explosive damage (very effective, area effect).
    Last edited by Garnash; September 29, 2019 at 01:49 PM.

There was a Isengard mine unit in TATW only for Custom Battle because to OP

Gunpowder for Dwarfs just doesn't feel Dwarfish since they have Mithril and piercing weapons.

However, a Dwarven Mangonel Unit that fires flaming oil drums would make more sense and it could be balanced enough to wipe out huge blobs of infantry grouped together in game for the Dwarfs for the cost of lower ammo and range compared to other siege weapons. I believe Battle for Middle Earth 2 had something similar to that idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Stew Pid View Post
    There was a Isengard mine unit in TATW only for Custom Battle because to OP

Gunpowder for Dwarfs just doesn't feel Dwarfish since they have Mithril and piercing weapons.

However, a Dwarven Mangonel Unit that fires flaming oil drums would make more sense and it could be balanced enough to wipe out huge blobs of infantry grouped together in game for the Dwarfs for the cost of lower ammo and range compared to other siege weapons. I believe Battle for Middle Earth 2 had something similar to that idea.

In fact it's inspired in the dwarven culture, from The Desolation of Smaug's movie, where already existed Grenadiers of Fire-flames in Erebor, using sulfur ammunition, so, they could to upgrade the same artifacts adding gunpowder to them in late periods, it wouldn't be crazy at all at least. Grenadiers & Sappers both would be units for close combat, so, both of them would be balanced in that aspect.

PS: The mangonel's idea was already rejected in previous posts.
    Last edited by Garnash; September 29, 2019 at 07:00 PM.