Page 1 of 113 12345678910112651101 ... LastLast

Thread: DaC - Official Suggestions Thread

Default DaC - Official Suggestions Thread

Greetings!

Within this sanctified space you may let your minds run wild and to such an extent that would be curtailed elsewhere! In plain English that means that this thread can be used for proposing any ideas you have for DaC. They can then be easily grouped in a single location and others can then see if someone hasn't already suggested what they want.

There are of course some provisos and some helpful information for you:
    1) There is only room for 4 more units in the entire mod
    2) There are no more available regions - if you propose a new region you need to also say what region should be cut to facilitate the new one.
    3) Whilst scripting has become available to us once again we do already have a weighty tome of scripting tasks for racer so I would ask that you temper your desires. This means that we are unlikely to entertain any 'heavy scripting' ideas.
    4) NO GOAT RIDERS/GOAT CHARIOTS/BOAR RIDERS OR ANY SUCH CREATION THAT CONSISTS OF, AS ITS CORE, A DWARF RIDING A MOUNT.
    5) We will not add any new factions

Please note that every single comment will be read but we simply don't have time to say 'yay or nay' to everyone so if your comment receives no reply then that is because we are either mulling it over; it may have been asked already or we feel it has no merit. We will try to respond to you all but this is simply not possible.

Regards
    DaC Council

DaC on Discord:
    https://discord.gg/ymad4eY
    Last edited by Arachir Galudirithon; September 14, 2017 at 01:22 PM.

Default Re: DaC - Official Suggestions Thread

Oh ok . I was just going to propose a new faction of just Goats, with perhaps some Goat Lords riding on the back of sturdy Dwarf mounts �� ...nvm

Hello,
    I was thinking, now that you said Bribery is non-existing part of 2.0 gameplay, that maybe DaC team would consider changing the Man of Melkor trait (BadManRace trait) to give some other "benefits" as it currently provides -10% reduced bribery cost and -1 obedience (Effect BribeResistance -1, Effect Piety -1). Since the bribery part is redundant now.

Also, if bribery isnt a part of the game and if low loyalty generals dont ever rebel( atleast I never saw them in my games) then loyalty of the generals and family members doesnt matter anymore. So maybe (if possible), you could use loyalty line of the generals for something else. Like piety is used for obediance.

♔atthias♔'s Avatar Citizen

Default Re: Diplomatic negotiations

Quote Originally Posted by Biffo View Post
    You don't have a suggestions/ideas thread (probably because it would get out of hand quickly with crazy ideas), but I've been wondering something for a while and figured I'd just ask. Especially as DaC is doing such interesting and innovative things with gameplay! (flattery...)

Anyway, I've always wondered about the 'Attack faction' option in diplomatic negotiations. I have rarely seen any benefit to it, mostly because, even if an AI ally does attack, it usually next to nothing. Would there be a way to coordinate more fully with allies?

For example, say you're ND and allied with Rohan against Dunland. Your diplomat opens negotiations with Rohan, requests an attack on Dunland, and then somehow could request Rohan specifically attack Duneard, while you offer an attack on Southern Tharbad, creating a real two-front conflict effect.
    Or, generally offer to attack a faction and split their land with an ally - 'You get x, y and z, while I take a, b and c' kind of a situation.

I know it's probably way too difficult to program it in, but it would make strategy a lot more interesting. Maybe
    no since
    the attack option already is fulfilled when an army of one unit is defeated
    so i is broken already in vanilla MTW2 and modders cannot fix that
    but this is something the DAC modders can try to include
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...3-2-compatible
    Rise of Mordor 3D Modelers Wanted
    Total War - Rise of Mordor
    Are you a 3D Environment and Character artist, or a Character Animator?

If yes, then the Rise of Mordor team linked above is looking for you!
    Massive Overhaul Submod Units!
    D you want some units back in MOS 1.7? Install this mod http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...n-1-1-RELEASED
    It adds back units who were deleted from the campaign in MOS 1.7, namely the Winged Swordsmen, the Citadel Guard Archers and the Gondor Dismounted Bodyguard.

Under the proud patronage of
    Frunk of the house of Siblesz

Semisalis

Hello,

Congrats on the sub forum. Well deserved! This mod has been about the only thing I've been playing since 1.0 is released and I'm even re-playing factions I've played time and time over.

I had a few immersion-related suggestions based on things I noticed that were not in the mod that would have been neat if they were. One I believe Galu commented on in one of his Gondor videos. Unique retinues based on events of the campaign. I think I remember MOS having a few. When you play as Gondor many of your generals have the Retinue "Lord of Pinnath Gelin" or "Lord of Lond Galen," etc. But as your realm grows and you have generals conquer new lands, we get nothing of the like for those despite these lands having previously been owned by Gondor. As I said, I recall MOS having these for some of the territories east of the Anduin and in Minas Ithil. These, along with some for the other factions, would be a good addition to the mod to give it more flavor during the campaign.

Also, I couldn't be a bigger fan of appearance upgrades in battles. Men and Dwarves get them in great supply, but I could also see upgrades working well on the Quendi/Teleri elves. When they begin, they're wearing elvish garb. But as you upgrade your smithing and get access to those decked out Eldar units, it would be perfect to see them armor up a bit. Similar to how Gondor militia's armor is upgraded but in Elven style.

Anyway, fellas, keep up the good work. I can't wait to try out some of the Men of the East campaigns you guys are cooking up.

To continue about flavour, what about specific traits (or retinues) when you slay a special character ? For example killing Saruman as a Rohan general ? Would be easy to do and add a little bonus to the satisfaction of killing a named character

While I'm here, does Lothlorien have access to special buildings in Fangorn ? I think it could be interesting to make the region just more than a useless village to them, even if lore-wise Ents wouldn't really side with them for a particular reason.

Default Re: Diplomatic negotiations

Quote Originally Posted by atthias View Post
    but this is something the DAC modders can try to include
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...3-2-compatible
    Thanks for letting me know. Thought it was a bit of a stretch. Although Withwnar's submod does look interesting.
    It also raised a point for me about taking forts. I hate allies (or neutral) owning forts on my land and taking my free upkeep! The forced diplomacy seems a heavy handed approach to resolving that one. Could it be added as an option similar to give region --> give region/fort? Ah but they don't have name so they couldn't be identified. Forget I asked!

It would be great if Imladris had a more fleshed out roster. I know they are strong as is but the majority of the game you are using essentially 2 units, the bow and sword Quendi, with a few Tulkas Faithful thrown in.

3 of their units are only available at Imladris and only in tiny amounts, 1 other unit is a unique bodyguard, and 1 other is only available in the Eregion region. This leaves Imladris with a very limited roster compared to other elven factions.

My biggest issue is that they lack a dedicated tier 2 line holding infantry. The Grey Havens have their Sindar infantry while Imladris just has Noretirno Warriors which are an archer. My suggestion would be a sword and shield Noretirno, so that we don't have to completely rely on Sword Quendi for the whole game.

If I recall correctly, failed bribery attempts give negative traits to diplomats. Could this be removed now that bribery will always fail?
    Also regarding Buzra-dum, could it get a strong dwarven garrison instead of the weak humans that occupy it now? This because its quite wealthy and lore-wise its part of the Blue Mountains. You could explain it being a rebel by saying its an independant, isolationist clan.

I do have the suggestion to add buildings you can build if you have resources in a territory, if the faction is know to do well on these. For example Anduin could build Apiaries if a region as honey, because Beorn was known to be good with Bees. Probably with a second tier being a met brewery ( trade + happiness) Enedwaith should be able to build like a fishing village if a region has fish, maybe give Umbar the same option (population growth + trade). Rohan and Khand should be able to build some horse building if the resource horse is available (maybe it is possible to make horses faster in those regions, or another bonus). Maybe give the elves a elven cloth producer if they have silk (trade + maybe other bonus).

Gondor and Dol Amroth get maybe a cloth producer from textiles, becasue they are the most developed countries, having more of an "industry".
    Orcs could profit from slaves (population growth + -happiness + increase in trade)
    Evil men would get an ivory carver.

It would give the resources more weight and importance and more options.

Dorwinion should have an option of either building a public vinyard, which increases happiness and trade or build Vinelords mansion to kind of privatize it, which would give free upkeep + the option the recruit privateers, saying that the Vinelord is trying to defend his possessions and hire privateers, which he is willing to let the Vineregent use if needed.

There are some resources open to with I can not find a good faction + building, so if someone else has some it could be nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Imrahil View Post
    I do have the suggestion to add buildings you can build if you have resources in a territory, if the faction is know to do well on these. For example Anduin could build Apiaries if a region as honey, because Beorn was known to be good with Bees. Probably with a second tier being a met brewery ( trade + happiness) Enedwaith should be able to build like a fishing village if a region has fish, maybe give Umbar the same option (population growth + trade). Rohan and Khand should be able to build some horse building if the resource horse is available (maybe it is possible to make horses faster in those regions, or another bonus). Maybe give the elves a elven cloth producer if they have silk (trade + maybe other bonus).

Gondor and Dol Amroth get maybe a cloth producer from textiles, becasue they are the most developed countries, having more of an "industry".
    Orcs could profit from slaves (population growth + -happiness + increase in trade)
    Evil men would get an ivory carver.

It would give the resources more weight and importance and more options.

Dorwinion should have an option of either building a public vinyard, which increases happiness and trade or build Vinelords mansion to kind of privatize it, which would give free upkeep + the option the recruit privateers, saying that the Vinelord is trying to defend his possessions and hire privateers, which he is willing to let the Vineregent use if needed.

There are some resources open to with I can not find a good faction + building, so if someone else has some it could be nice.
    What fortuitous circumstance be this! Just yesterday I added a 'Fishery' for Enedwaith in a region that has fish and I added a 'Winery' in regions that have wine for Dorwinion. Next on my list was an Apiary for Anduin. There is no real need for these buildings but the tie in and immersion is great.

Quote Originally Posted by Arachir Galudirithon View Post
    What fortuitous circumstance be this! Just yesterday I added a 'Fishery' for Enedwaith in a region that has fish and I added a 'Winery' in regions that have wine for Dorwinion. Next on my list was an Apiary for Anduin. There is no real need for these buildings but the tie in and immersion is great.
    That is really nice to hear. Those three building were the ones I saw most fitting, but to not have to much of a advantage for one side I though I should have one for almost everyone, so I tried to find other good fits. What are the benefits of the buildings?

The idea with the choice that Dorwinion gets is that you could choose between more money or more military/defense on a town level as well and the Vinelords should have some land, so I though it would fit nicely into it.

The game works at the moment, so everything is a immersion.

I did give this suggestion already before the subforum existed, but just for the completeness I want to add it here.

Give Lindon a swanship if far increased movement to transport troops fast to wherever it is needed. Lorewise they should have the best vessels, because Telerii were famous shipbuilding and they need to have ships strong enough to safely reach Aman.

Second idea:
    Give the highelves a choice in each settlement if it should be mostly inhabited by the small elven population (normal elven town), by edain friends (more growth and and some local troops troops in eriador, maybe with a new texture or upgraded look, elven units are less often available), or if they should hire dwarfs for a mining outpost (reduced growth as it is an outpost, some basic dwarfen troops and very low elven unit replenishment (as it is only available in mountain terrain the slow replenishment is already there), access to the third tier of mining, but with a slight reduced income due to the cost of hiring dwarfs)

Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Imrahil View Post
    or if they should hire dwarfs for a mining outpost (reduced growth as it is an outpost, some basic dwarfen troops and very low elven unit replenishment (as it is only available in mountain terrain the slow replenishment is already there), access to the third tier of mining, but with a slight reduced income due to the cost of hiring dwarfs)
    While it is not reflected well in the game, the High Elves (ie the Noldor) were great miners, and preferred the mountains (and plains) to forests (in the 'lore').

Quote Originally Posted by Infidel144 View Post
    While it is not reflected well in the game, the High Elves (ie the Noldor) were great miners, and preferred the mountains (and plains) to forests (in the 'lore').
    I know, but the Noldor are few in numbers and be expected to populate all settlements, especially Lindon is populated by other elven tribes as well, being part of the Falathrim elve a subgroup of the Teleri and Sindar. Other elven races do not favor mining as much and they are more numerous and I wanted a reason to why the elves would let dwarfs live in the city as a third option. But I would be totally ok with having elves or edain friends.

Map changes:
    -So in the last two weeks I really become addicted to this mod again and while plying I had a huge amount of ideas for the mod. (new units, mechanics and so on). But I understand that all of these things would be really hard to do. So I tried something else. “how could we improve the gameplay by small changes to the map”. I do understand that there is a big deference between individual maps of middle earth and that the campaign map has to be player and AI friendly and so most of the changes would be of a smaller nature. Now I think the part of the map that really could do with some love is the part of the Iron Hills and Rhovanion.
    -I really like all the fractions fighting for this region (Dale, Dorwion, Rhun and dwarfs) but in general the region on Rhovanion is a bit dull to fight in and the Iron hills look well really uninteresting. Honestly I don’t think this is a problem of a lack of settlements but more in a lack of interesting map terrain. There is really just a few small forests and plains a lot of plains. This leads to a lack of ambush possibilities, chokepoint possibilities and so on. It also means that really the only interesting part of the map are the settlements leading to a cluster fu.. of armies around them in the late game. Now I know rhovinion are supposed to be plains but in this case I think the gameplay would just be much better for not so much lore braking

Maps I used:
    https://cdn1.lockerdome.com/uploads/...57566_facebook ( Think this is to one the campaign map is most inspired by)
    http://middle-earth.thehobbit.com/map (Not really helpful but looks good)
    http://vignette4.wikia.nocookie.net/...ionplaces2.jpg (great map of Rhovanion)

In general-
    -More forts (even if they would grant you just one free upkeep slot). Put them in chokepoints or honestly in any place they would look good. In general, I would use the Wildman fort as that one is the most explainable for the lower tech regions. I believe that this would make a lot of the empty big regions more interesting. I know that the AI dose not really man the forts BUT I will be happy to fall back to one making finishing a stack off more interesting.
    -Higher hills (yeah I know they are on the map and that there has to be a clear distinction between hills and mountains but please hear me out) if there would be a hilly region just next to a mountain range it would be great if some of the hills would be higher than the rest (hell maybe even so big they would be impossible terrain). This would make more chokepoints, fall back points (I have a small army, I see a bigger enemy army, I run to take a hill that is not just on the battle map, just like real live history), and I personally think a nicer looking map.
    -Slightly more rivers and premade watchtowers in some regions

The Iron Hills-
    -I really believe this region should get a more fortified and dwarf like feel. This would be done by adding more hills (not really mountains that would be too much against the lore), dwarfen forts and some low income mines.
    -Make the Redwater a sailable river. (great options for Player rhun attacks and Player Dale help path).
    -Adding several more rivers (Ironwater, Dínen)
    I don't think the amount of rivers is a problem as there is a lot of hills where they could start from and the Rhun sea is the only place water can go

Rhovanion- (to many changes have been made to this part since the map has been released) When I have time I will try to draw this part by hand so I can make my points better) :-)

Red-New rivers (or making the river bigger)
    Blue- Crossings
    Yellow- Castles
    Grey- Hills (or making hills higher in this region)
    Green- forests
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Iron Hills map changes.png  
    Last edited by Skawer; April 24, 2017 at 06:11 PM.

Hi, i was thinking, how about make the ND militia barracks available in all heartland regions, since u can't build it in there (correct me if im wrong), with something like this:
    - If the settlement has a number of population higher then x then u would be able to construct the militia barracks.
    -For example, Fennas Durin Population 2000 (random number, i believe that u can figure what would be the best number better then me )

I know that they are meant to have lower recruitment possibilities to make it to the lore, that they are a "ranger" faction with some few great mans who fight for them, but if they manage to get higher population, than they could recruit their militia at the cities with the necessary requirements.

This proposal come because I would like to see more of the militia in early game, rather than lumberman and woodman.

So share with me your thoughts in this matter, Cheers

I like your idea. I think their city models should portray that. They should look more numenorean than what they do now.

Just a thought about lindon and imladris. Would you consider changing the noldor units for lindon to the gold and grey and changing the imladris units to look like the hobbit movies? This would correspond with the city units for imladris. Just my two cents. Keep up the great work.