Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Medieval Kingdoms Total War: The Duchy of Lorraine

Default Re: Medieval Kingdoms Total War: The Duchy of Lorraine

Really nice generals. I especially like the Duke of Anjou.

My only criticism is that the tier 2 guard of Vaudemont just like the tier 2 Alsatian chevaliers seem a bit under armored. It definitely seems odd that the pavise spears in tier 2 look more heavily armored than knights and especially the duke's bodyguard.

Also one final thing I failed to mention earlier is that it seems kinda of to me that the Jäger crossbows have swords as secondary weapons, that doesnt really seem like something a hunter would have or need. Id suggest giving them some sort of spear or simply a knife for melee as I assume that they are not really supposed to be useful in melee anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by Knight2708 View Post

My only criticism is that the tier 2 guard of Vaudemont just like the tier 2 Alsatian chevaliers seem a bit under armored. It definitely seems odd that the pavise spears in tier 2 look more heavily armored than knights and especially the duke's bodyguard.
    Yeah I know. I tried putting things like transitional leg armor and hourglass gauntlets to show they were wearing, but I saw it as the tabard is a shirt that goes over armor, and if I put the ratio of tabard to surcoat with higher amounts of tabards used, then it would work. it would show that the knights were evolving their own armor to keep up with the times.

In all fairness, I need to update the chevaliers photo because it is very out of date.

Something else I'm wondering is if I should follow the same armor structure for the duke and his guard like I did with the house-guard in tier 2. I was planning on using nobles as the bodyguard for Rene and have a special cross of lorraine horse caparison and armor, so that's pretty much done. With tier 2, I'm a bit unsure if it would look like I'm lazy just swapping textures for the vaudemont guard and putting specific for the dukes. Like i dont want my bodyguard units to look exactly the same is all.

Also one final thing I failed to mention earlier is that it seems kinda of to me that the Jäger crossbows have swords as secondary weapons, that doesnt really seem like something a hunter would have or need. Id suggest giving them some sort of spear or simply a knife for melee as I assume that they are not really supposed to be useful in melee anyways.

the tier 2 guard of Vaudemont wears tabards much like this one B,C,F,G, tabard over armour except for the footsoldiers wears only the aketon/gambeson A, D, E.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Found a manuscript of Rene II at the Battle of Nancy from 1490 (middle of picture and to the left)!

I believe this is pretty similar to what the manuscript looks like:

Of course, spaulders, breastplate, gauntlets, and bevor would all have to be gold, which should not be too hard to retexture them to make them completely gold color. If it is too much gold, then I would just leave it as is. Thoughts?

Edit: The hat is going to be replaced once I get the specific helm model.
    Last edited by Azrien Fox; June 03, 2017 at 10:30 PM.

Visarion's Avatar Alexandros
    Artifex

Woooowwwwe

Great but imo the blue of the duke of Anjou armor should be at least desaturated a bit.

Okay, I updated the photos for the merchant marines, sawell de mann, pavise spearmen units, franc-archers, chevaliers and dismounted chevaliers on high and late tier.

Artifex

Great stuff... you never cease to amaze me...

Two things still... head piece of horses of late Coutiliers

Lack of shoelds or changing animation for Bas-Rhine Militz

Quote Originally Posted by Visarion View Post
    Two things still... head piece of horses of late Coutiliers
    Wait, Im pretty sure we talked about the high Coutiliers? The late ones are staying as is.

Lack of shoelds or changing animation for Bas-Rhine Militz
    Let me say it again: animation change has no effect, and I didn't intend to have shields on that unit. They are staying as-is, but I may put shields in the future. I cant really find any evidence for shields and pikes used in the 13th century, and they are going to be a throwaway type unit, so I think shields would not fit.

Artifex

Well at leadt do smth about thst late horse headpiece... modify it somehow

Updated the Guild Halbardde and Hommes d'Hand Late unit photos. I tried out a way to capture more guys in the photo by putting the unit in loose formation, so hopefully it doesnt look silly to have them randomly in loose formation. I think soon Ill be able to get both Rudolph and Rene onto the preview, they would be a bit of a WIP.

Something else Im thinking is maybe making a variant of Rudolph of Valiant as an on-foot unit. Rudolph participated in a lot of battles in his life, and I thought since he seemed to be pretty experienced in war, I might put Rudolph in a mounted bodyguard as well as a dismounted polearm bodyguard. What are your guys' thoughts on this? Lemme know!

Well at leadt do smth about thst late horse headpiece... modify it somehow
    Well I really wanted to keep them how they were without "modifying them," but I could also add a gothic chaffron and maybe add some gothic horse armor as well to the unit.

The thing was with the armor, I notice that a lot of the manuscripts in 15th century France show colored horse chaffrons being used by both knights and lower nobility, so I am using a default chaffron to show that they can afford the minimal horse armor, but not enough to personalize it.
    Last edited by Azrien Fox; June 12, 2017 at 04:15 AM.

Artifex

Yeah... anytging but just don't leave that head piece without barding... it looks like it's floating or smth... very goofy

Quote Originally Posted by Azrien Fox View Post
    Okay, I updated the photos for the merchant marines, sawell de mann, pavise spearmen units, franc-archers, chevaliers and dismounted chevaliers on high and late tier.
    Great work, it really is incredible how far this faction has come, the units get better with every update. My only complaint is that the pavise spears for tier 2 still seem a bit too heavily armored, they look more like a tier 3 unit tbh. In this period I'd expect more of a mix of brigandines and gambesons and less armor on the extremities, especially on the legs. This would also better show the transition between the 3 tiers, as right now the tier 2 pavise spears look pretty similar to the tier 3 version.

Great work, it really is incredible how far this faction has come, the units get better with every update. My only complaint is that the pavise spears for tier 2 still seem a bit too heavily armored, they look more like a tier 3 unit tbh. In this period I'd expect more of a mix of brigandines and gambesons and less armor on the extremities, especially on the legs. This would also better show the transition between the 3 tiers, as right now the tier 2 pavise spears look pretty similar to the tier 3 version.
    Yeah i see what you mean. I'll put in some gambesons and maybe give more of the transitional armor kneepads I use on other tier 2 units instead of full leg armor. I will however leave the armor shown on the one guy in the yellow brigandine on the far right, to show a variety in armor quality in the unit.
    I'm pretty sure other than that, I could maybe change helmets a bit, but I think they should be fine. Ive got mostly bascinets, and few eye hole kettles and chapel de fers here and there. I could maybe give them some other kettle helms and maybe some more chapel de fers. Could that help show a transition in armor tech?

Yeah i see what you mean. I'll put in some gambesons and maybe give more of the transitional armor kneepads I use on other tier 2 units instead of full leg armor. I will however leave the armor shown on the one guy in the yellow brigandine on the far right, to show a variety in armor quality in the unit.
    I'm pretty sure other than that, I could maybe change helmets a bit, but I think they should be fine. Ive got mostly bascinets, and few eye hole kettles and chapel de fers here and there. I could maybe give them some other kettle helms and maybe some more chapel de fers. Could that help show a transition in armor tech?p
    Last edited by Azrien Fox; June 12, 2017 at 06:05 PM. Reason: Silly phone posted message twice... >.>

Quote Originally Posted by Azrien Fox View Post
    I'm pretty sure other than that, I could maybe change helmets a bit, but I think they should be fine. Ive got mostly bascinets, and few eye hole kettles and chapel de fers here and there. I could maybe give them some other kettle helms and maybe some more chapel de fers. Could that help show a transition in armor tech?p
    Sounds good. I'd also remove the bascinets with visors and reduce the number of eye hole kettles as those are more of a 15th century thing afaik.

Those actually become a mid 14th century thing.

I updated the hommes d'armes, hommes d'armes montes, crossbowmen, and the urban militia. I need to update the photo of the crossbowmen using their shields, so Ill do that fairly soon.