Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Medieval Kingdoms Total War: The Duchy of Lorraine

Default Re: Medieval Kingdoms Total War: The Duchy of Lorraine

Quote Originally Posted by Visarion View Post
    What is your next project?
    As in next faction? Well, I might do either trier to the north, and not do as much of a fleshed out military roster, so maybe more of a militia roster, and maybe use lorraine and flanders inspired units.
    Or, I could go south and do either Provence, dauphine, or Savoy. But I think I might be doing trier.

But for right now, I need to get the generals done for lorraine lol.

Visarion's Avatar Alexandros
    Artifex

Is Flanders on your "to do" list as well!?

Is Flanders on your "to do" list as well!?
    No I believe someone is working on Flanders, when I mean Flanders inspired, I mean like mercenaries from Flanders. They were a huge mercenary supplier during that time, so I might be able to use them. There's also a county of spongelm (or something like that) that had land with trier, I could use them as well.

Lothare's Avatar Laetus

Hello, Moïen, Bonjour !

I'm here to talk with you about Lorraine, and his history. I'm a grand player of TW games, i love history, and....i'm historian ! at your service.

So, can i suggest you some ( a lot ) of modification from you work for a better Lorraine ?

i've all the stuff you need: book, map, letter, nobility list and genealogy...heraldy of the greater and lower nobility.

it's a real pleasure to help you if you want.

Quote Originally Posted by Lothare View Post
    Hello, Moïen, Bonjour !

I'm here to talk with you about Lorraine, and his history. I'm a grand player of TW games, i love history, and....i'm historian ! at your service.

So, can i suggest you some ( a lot ) of modification from you work for a better Lorraine ?

i've all the stuff you need: book, map, letter, nobility list and genealogy...heraldy of the greater and lower nobility.

it's a real pleasure to help you if you want.
    Sure! If you have things for lorraine, go ahead and link them! And, any suggestions are appreciated!

Lothare's Avatar Laetus

Ok, at first, you need the history of Lorraine.

In the first time of the duchy (869-1200), there is two different languages: Lorrain Roman ( Langue d'Oïl, french familly group) and Francique ( Mosel Frankish / Lothrìngerplatt, one of the first german language speaked by the Franks ), but it's one same culture ( but some difference with far west and south of the duchy, like Vosges). After 1250-1300, the duchy is divided in two bailly, Loherraine (Roman) and "Allemagne"(Francique), but the second is now reduce by 50%, so all the countys in the north east.
    Lorraine is border by France and burgundy in west and south west, imperial county of burgundy ( Franche-comté) in south, Luxembourg, Tier and Palatinate in north ans the Alsace, Decapolis and Habsbourg territory in east.
    I don't know how do you translate "Lorrain" in english, Lorrainian ? in some historical games/mod, that word is don't translate.

What do you need exactly for the Lorraine in the mod ?
    Heraldy ?
    General names ?
    specific unit name ?

tell me all what you need, i'm here for you.
    ( sorry for my really bad english )

Ok, at first, you need the history of Lorraine.

In the first time of the duchy (869-1200), there is two different languages: Lorrain Roman ( Langue d'Oïl, french familly group) and Francique ( Mosel Frankish / Lothrìngerplatt, one of the first german language speaked by the Franks ), but it's one same culture ( but some difference with far west and south of the duchy, like Vosges). After 1250-1300, the duchy is divided in two bailly, Loherraine (Roman) and "Allemagne"(Francique), but the second is now reduce by 50%, so all the countys in the north east.
    Lorraine is border by France and burgundy in west and south west, imperial county of burgundy ( Franche-comté) in south, Luxembourg, Tier and Palatinate in north ans the Alsace, Decapolis and Habsbourg territory in east.
    I don't know how do you translate "Lorrain" in english, Lorrainian ? in some historical games/mod, that word is don't translate.

What do you need exactly for the Lorraine in the mod ?
    Heraldy ?
    General names ?
    specific unit name ?

tell me all what you need, i'm here for you.
    ( sorry for my really bad english )
    Hmm, well I would mostly need heraldry and unit names, possibly in Lorrain or Lorraine Franconian. I wanted to use mostly Lorrain based names for the 15th century units, but the best I found was some (not very good) Alsatian translation site that has nothing of value in military terms, I.e. levy, city, guild, spearmen, crossbowmen, etc. So I've been using Alsatian, German and French for the most part. If Lorrain was something spoken a lot in the 14th century, I could use some Lorrain names, instead of the 'Lorrainer "insert name here" '. But I think it's either Lorrain or Lorrainer for the English version of people hailing from lorraine.
    Other than that, maybe heraldry, I've been using some cadet branches of the ruling houses during the medieval period and put them together, so I have Limburg, ravensburg, Châtlet, Lorraine, Cappenburg, Lietard, Salm, salm-neuburg, de Leoncourt, vaudemont, Ardennes / boullion, and theres probably one or two I missed. But I wanted to make sure these made sense, because like Limburg and anoher branch I listed come from lower lorraine, which would be Brabant by the time of the mod. If you have any more Lorraine-loyal houses you have info on, I would appreciate it. Something else too is I kinda bunched in Alsace with lorraine as one faction just because it would seem as if there was no rivalry between the two regions, and in layer years (I.e. around WWI era) the region of Alsace-Lorraine changed sides quite a bit. So yeah, im tying to think if thats a good idea to include Alsace in with lorraine or not.

But that's mostly it.
    Last edited by Azrien Fox; May 21, 2017 at 04:09 PM.

Lothare's Avatar Laetus

Hmmm that's not so difficult, just a little lot of time for the units name in Lorrain and Franconian, ( i have to read very old book in my library, big book with little words)

For the loyal houses in Lorraine, it's the Grands Chevaux ( greater chivalry ): d'Haraucourt, de Lenoncourt, de Ligniville and du Châtelet. And for a much bigger list of loyal house you can add: de Salm, de Briey, d'Haussonville, de Fléville, des Armoises, de Ludres
    But for some exemple in the 14/15th:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

regent of the duchy:
    - Jean de Lenoncourt, grand écuyer de Charles II 1425
    - Erard III du Châtelet, chevalier 1457
    - Le maréchal de Lenoncourt en absence de Jean II 1465
    - Gérard d'Haraucourt, sénéchal et lieutenant au duché de Bar 1459
    - Philippe de Lenoncourt, seigneur de Gondrecourt, lieutenant du duché de Bar 1475-1473

here some marechals of the 14/15th:
    - Jacques d'Amance 1385-1392
    - Gérard d'Haraucourt, chevalier 1398
    - Charlot de Deuilly 1414
    - Jean d'Haussonville 1422
    - Errard du Châtelet 1425
    - Ferry de Savigny, maréchal de Bar et de Lorraine 1440-1441
    - Jean de Fénétrange 1452-1462
    - Gaspard de Raville 1475
    - Jean VII de Salm, comte de Salm, seigneur de Viviers 20 août 1473
    - Oswalt de Thierstein, comte de Thierstein 1477
    - Philippe de Linange, comte de Linange, bailli d'Allemagne 6 janvier 1489

( this small list is part of a much bigger i make)

And for the Heraldy:

In the period of the mod, Alsace is a vassal, and in 14/15th, not good relations....lot of war between Lorraine et Alsace.

Hmmm that's not so difficult, just a little lot of time for the units name in Lorrain and Franconian, ( i have to read very old book in my library, big book with little words)

For the loyal houses in Lorraine, it's the Grands Chevaux ( greater chivalry ): d'Haraucourt, de Lenoncourt, de Ligniville and du Châtelet. And for a much bigger list of loyal house you can add: de Salm, de Briey, d'Haussonville, de Fléville, des Armoises, de Ludres
    But for some exemple in the 14/15th:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

regent of the duchy:
    - Jean de Lenoncourt, grand écuyer de Charles II 1425
    - Erard III du Châtelet, chevalier 1457
    - Le maréchal de Lenoncourt en absence de Jean II 1465
    - Gérard d'Haraucourt, sénéchal et lieutenant au duché de Bar 1459
    - Philippe de Lenoncourt, seigneur de Gondrecourt, lieutenant du duché de Bar 1475-1473

here some marechals of the 14/15th:
    - Jacques d'Amance 1385-1392
    - Gérard d'Haraucourt, chevalier 1398
    - Charlot de Deuilly 1414
    - Jean d'Haussonville 1422
    - Errard du Châtelet 1425
    - Ferry de Savigny, maréchal de Bar et de Lorraine 1440-1441
    - Jean de Fénétrange 1452-1462
    - Gaspard de Raville 1475
    - Jean VII de Salm, comte de Salm, seigneur de Viviers 20 août 1473
    - Oswalt de Thierstein, comte de Thierstein 1477
    - Philippe de Linange, comte de Linange, bailli d'Allemagne 6 janvier 1489

( this small list is part of a much bigger i make)

And for the Heraldy:

In the period of the mod, Alsace is a vassal, and in 14/15th, not good relations....lot of war between Lorraine et Alsace.
    Thank you for researching that stuff! Yeah well I dont need much in terms of Lorrain words, I did also want to use Alsatian, but seeing as how alsace wasn't good with lorraine, I can change my name's up a bit.
    I really though wanted to keep the multicultural aspect that Lorraine has seeing as how they're on the border of many major and minor powers, so I really want to keep the sawell de mann as their unit name, but I would probably use the Lorrain word maybe for pikemen or pike and then men, while still keeping the instances of German and French.
    In that case also, I could rename the chevaliers to Lorrain Chevaliers for the high and late tier.
    And I could maybe use some words in Lorrain to derive essentially a defector or traitor of Alsace, and use like the Neither Levy Archers and rename them to Alsatian (Lorrain word for defector /traitor) archers.
    You know? Kind of show off the rivalry between them while also showing the influence other cultures give off on lorraine.

Artifex

Soooo... what is the verdict 4 that Coutiliers horses' head piece? Aaannddd what are u currently working at!?

Soooo... what is the verdict 4 that Coutiliers horses' head piece? Aaannddd what are u currently working at!?
    Wwweeellll, I took them off because I couldn't find evidence for them. I need to get an updated photo of them to post.
    Right now, I'm working on generals, I have all the house-guard done as well as the tier 1 duke. I was going to get more gens done before posting a preview for them, but I could just post pictures now instead.
    I've just been really busy these past couple of weeks so was not able to get more than a few gens done. I'll post images later of what I have.

Artifex

Yeah... I'll take choice no 1 Post 'em!

Alright, generals have been posted as well as the updated coutiliers. I also went in and changed some names of the units, especially in the late tier. I think, from the looks of Lorraine on the 1212 campaign map, it might be good to put Alsace in with Lorraine and give a unified approach with the names. Let me know if the names work!

Artifex

Coutiliers of Alsace-Lorraine still have it

Artifex

Names are good. Again u shoild change animation or put shields for Bas-Rhine Schiltron Militz. Also maybe rename Nobles of Alsace with dome French variant.

Artifex

Nobles d'Alsace montes and I don't know Nobles d'Alsace or Nobles d'Alsace a pied or smth.

Names are good. Again u shoild change animation or put shields for Bas-Rhine Schiltron Militz.
    I thought we came to conclusion before that a) shield and no animation makes no difference, and b) I wanted them to be a cheap pike unit. Though I should change them to levy instead in that manner.

I'll look to see what I can use for shields. I've used bucklers on the high units, so I suppose I could give the high unit higher amount of shields, and the early a basic amount of shields, ie like 30 or 40 percent of the unit gets a shield.

Nobles d'Alsace montes and I don't know Nobles d'Alsace or Nobles d'Alsace a pied or smth.
    Yeah that sounds like a good name for both versions.

Artifex

Merci beaucoup mon ami. Ca va? Oh how I miss Brussels/Bruxelles.