Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Medieval Kingdoms Total War: The Duchy of Lorraine

Default Re: Medieval Kingdoms Total War: The Duchy of Lorraine

I mean work in this order:

1. Regular General Bodyguards. This is your normal general unit for regular nobles. All of your generals except your factional leader will have them as their general unit. Finish this first, then;
    2. Duke of Lorraine's Bodyguards. This is the bodyguard that only can be used by the faction's leader. Take your normal general bodyguard, make them better, give unique appearance. Only if this is done, you can do:
    3. Named Generals. This is Custom Battle only unit, hence the least priority.

I have to stress this because when watching AoC 1078 and MK 1295 gameplays, I saw several factions which every army are led by Emperor and Kings' bodyguard, even if they're not the faction's leader! You surely do not want multiple Rudolf the Valiants running around Europe, don't you?
    In short, I see several faction roster where the developers forgot to make regular general bodyguards for generals who aren't kings, emperors, grand dukes, or famed generals.
    So yes, I'd like to see unique named generals, but do not forget regular unnamed general bodyguards.
    Last edited by You_Guess_Who; May 04, 2017 at 10:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by You_Guess_Who View Post
    I mean work in this order:

1. Regular General Bodyguards. This is your normal general unit for regular nobles. All of your generals except your factional leader will have them as their general unit. Finish this first, then;
    2. Duke of Lorraine's Bodyguards. This is the bodyguard that only can be used by the faction's leader. Take your normal general bodyguard, make them better, give unique appearance. Only if this is done, you can do:
    3. Named Generals. This is Custom Battle only unit, hence the least priority.

I have to stress this because when watching AoC 1078 and MK 1295 gameplays, I saw several factions which every army are led by Emperor and Kings' bodyguard, even if they're not the faction's leader! You surely do not want multiple Rudolf the Valiants running around Europe, don't you?
    In short, I see several faction roster where the developers forgot to make regular general bodyguards for generals who aren't kings, emperors, grand dukes, or famed generals.
    So yes, I'd like to see unique named generals, but do not forget regular unnamed general bodyguards.
    Okay... So instead of having multiple named dukes, I should have Duke's bodyguard in all tiers, and then have Rene and Rudolph in their own unique bodyguard?

So it would be instead:

Tier 1 - Duke's bodyguard
    Tier 2 - Duke's bodyguard, Rudolph the Valiant
    Tier 3 - Duke's bodyguard, Rene II

And with those bodyguard, I would just have my knights with a noble officer, and then have the dukes themselves in a better more unique bodyguard?

Correct, however you still forgot the non-duke bodyguard. So, to make things clearer:

Tier 1:
    - Lord's Retainers/Guard (Or any more suitable name) - Campaign generic general
    - Duke of Lorraine - Campaign faction leader unit

Tier 2:
    - Duke Rudolf the Valiant - Named Custom Battle general (special unitcard and officer)

Tier 3:
    - Duke Rene II of Lorraine - Named Custom Battle general (special unitcard and officer)
    Last edited by You_Guess_Who; May 04, 2017 at 10:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by You_Guess_Who View Post
    Correct, however you still forgot the non-duke bodyguard. So, to make things clearer:

Tier 1:

Tier 2:
    - Duke Rudolf the Valiant - Named Custom Battle general

Tier 3:
    - Duke Rene II of Lorraine - Named Custom Battle general
    Oooh okay, now that you put it that way it makes sense. So basically there are certain purposes for each gen unit: I.e. campaign general, campaign faction leader, and custom battle ggeneral. Okay, so in the end, I would be using at least 6-9 general units.

Also, I might leave out Theobald I since I want Rudolf and Rene to be the more important dukes of Lorraine, seeing as how they have custom units.
    Last edited by Azrien Fox; May 04, 2017 at 04:52 PM.

Alright so I was thinking that, since the house of Lorraine wasnt actually the reigning house in the duchy until Rene II's rule in 1473, that for the generic general units I would do the houses that reigned: House of Ardennes, House of Metz (it was actually Ardennes-Metz, but I thought I could split it up to cover both periods), and House of Anjou. That way, the units would be called:

Tier 1 - Count / Barons / House-guard of Ardennes-Metz

Tier 2 - Count / Barons / House-guard of Bar / Vaudemont

Tier 3 - Count / Barons / House-guard of Anjou / Lorraine

The first section is interchangeable, but I wanted to use the names of the houses that ruled / were vassals of Lorraine, so I thought House guard would be an interesting third choice. And also the houses are also interchangeable, as more than one house was important in the duchy at each period. I could always put both together, maybe to have it more diverse? Always an option. What do you guys think?
    Last edited by Azrien Fox; May 04, 2017 at 03:25 PM.

Alright, updated the older dark photos by the request of Knight!

wonderful units mate!

Is it on purpose that some of the militia units did not have shields?
    Basically a shield was one of the cheapest ways to get protective gear for a medieval soldier.

Gesendet von meinem SM-G925F mit Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Locus_Devium View Post
    Is it on purpose that some of the militia units did not have shields?
    Basically a shield was one of the cheapest ways to get protective gear for a medieval soldier.

Yes it was, but I did not know shields were so cheap that anyone can have them. I'll change them around then.
    Last edited by Azrien Fox; May 06, 2017 at 11:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Azrien Fox View Post
    Alright, updated the older dark photos by the request of Knight!
    Thanks, finally we can see the units in their full glory.

I've been thinking a bit more about unit names and I think that "Bas-Rhin Spießer" would probably be a better name than "Bas-Rhin Schiltron Miliz". "Spießer" means pikeman in Medieval German (it has a completely different meaning in modern German) and is afaik mostly used for urban/militia troops. I am also generally a bit skeptical of the use of the term "Schiltron" for the tier 1 and 2 pikemen, as I always though that it was a term only used by the Scots, maybe a French term for the tier 2 version, alongside the already suggested German term for tier 1, would be more appropriate.

Also one final thing, as I already said about the tier 2 "Dismounted Coutiliers", the tier 2 "Schiltron Lanciers" probably shouldn't have bascinets with visors, as those were used mostly by mounted knights.

Quote Originally Posted by Knight2708 View Post
    Thanks, finally we can see the units in their full glory.

I've been thinking a bit more about unit names and I think that "Bas-Rhin Spießer" would probably be a better name than "Bas-Rhin Schiltron Miliz". "Spießer" means pikeman in Medieval German (it has a completely different meaning in modern German) and is afaik mostly used for urban/militia troops. I am also generally a bit skeptical of the use of the term "Schiltron" for the tier 1 and 2 pikemen, as I always though that it was a term only used by the Scots, maybe a French term for the tier 2 version, alongside the already suggested German term for tier 1, would be more appropriate.
    Well, I had them in there because I wanted to have pikemen in early and mid tier, and then the late tier shows the adoption of the pikes and pike tactics made famous by the Swiss. I also had them in the earlier tiers because the region Bas-Rhin directly borders the Swiss Confederacy. For the Schiltron, they dont use an actual pike, but a schiltron spear, so in the late tier, the hecht de mann actually use a pike. I could look into maybe changing the name, but would it make sense? I guess if the Schiltron part refers to the tactical formation bit and not the type of weapon, it would work.

Quote Originally Posted by Knight2708 View Post
    Also one final thing, as I already said about the tier 2 "Dismounted Coutiliers", the tier 2 "Schiltron Lanciers" probably shouldn't have bascinets with visors, as those were used mostly by mounted knights.
    Yeah, I have edited them, I just need to take a new photo of them and upload it.
    Last edited by Azrien Fox; May 08, 2017 at 08:25 PM.

Visarion's Avatar Alexandros
    Artifex

Advice. Eirher u give shields 2 bas rhine schiktron militz or u change animation 4 2handed grasp of the pike

Quote Originally Posted by Visarion View Post
    Advice. Eirher u give shields 2 bas rhine schiktron militz or u change animation 4 2handed grasp of the pike
    Oh yeah I see what you mean, I'll change them around.

Well, when I changed the animation for just the pike, it had the same effect. Also, I do not really want the miliz to have shields, because they are essentially peasants with pikes.

Alright updated those spear and melee cav units that didnt have shields for everyone, and also updated the jager crossbows.

Artifex

Also tge hhorse head plate thing from coutiliers doesn t look gppd without aby horse armour or at least bardings... it shoukd be thicker... either give tgat or remove

Dom1no's Avatar Libertus

Yep, i agree with Visarion it looks pretty strange and ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by dominogoc View Post
    Yep, i agree with Visarion it looks pretty strange and ridiculous.
    Well, horse armour was not always as complete as you might think. Knights often had only partial armour, too.

Alright, well Ill look around for sources to support the horse head armour, if I cant find anything, Ill take them off.

Artifex

What is your next project?