Page 9 of 501 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718193459109 ... LastLast

Thread: The Chat Thread (Read OP)

Default Re: The Chat Thread (Read OP)

Quote Originally Posted by Niles Crane View Post
    I drove around for about an hour just now (mainly to pick up some celebratory liquor) and goodness, driving is easy. I was so scared of doing it on my own that I've been delaying getting this licence. To be fair you couldn't get better traffic conditions than I had, and driving at night at peak hour will be a challenge when it comes, but there's no hurry.
    To be honest, night time driving is not as dangerous as you may think unless you have night vision issues. The most dangerous time to drive is around the late afternoon where the sun sits very low in the sky. It creates a dangerous glare that can block your line of sight. I think it has been somewhat reduce with modern models, but it is something to keep in mind. A good set of sunglasses can reduce that problem.

The next most dangerous time is right after it starts raining. All of the oil on the streets float to the top and braking can be a challenge. The problem isn't you; it is the idiot who forgot that fact. Of course, I am not one to talk; I was ordered to take a defensive driving class to keep my license. I recall being late on time and the guy asked me why I was late. I told him I was practicing good defensive driving technique and it took me longer than I expected to get there. Thankfully, he was amused.

Lord Oda Nobunaga's Avatar 大信皇帝
    Patrician

Quote Originally Posted by Caligula the Mad View Post
    They were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn’t stop to think if they should.
    The mixing of the meme pool.

"Famous general without peer in any age, most superior in valor and inspired by the Way of Heaven; since the provinces are now subject to your will it is certain that you will increasingly mount in victory." - Ōgimachi-tennō

Ciciro's Avatar Protector Domesticus

I've only run into something with a car twice. The good thing was they were just the side of the garage. The bad thing was the car I was driving was my dad's.

♔atthias♔'s Avatar dutch speaking
    Citizen

congrats niles
    Rise of Mordor 3D Modelers Wanted
    Total War - Rise of Mordor
    Are you a 3D Environment and Character artist, or a Character Animator?

If yes, then the Rise of Mordor team linked above is looking for you!
    Massive Overhaul Submod Units!
    D you want some units back in MOS 1.7? Install this mod http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...n-1-1-RELEASED
    It adds back units who were deleted from the campaign in MOS 1.7, namely the Winged Swordsmen, the Citadel Guard Archers and the Gondor Dismounted Bodyguard.

Under the proud patronage of
    Frunk of the house of Siblesz

Well, I passed my driving test this morning. I mucked up the reverse park a little but everything else was fine. I even ended up with more points than last time.
    Congratulations!

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Oda Nobunaga View Post
    I just remember I need to fight Ferdiad still...
    Can I get some front row tickets for this one?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sharpe View Post
    Fair enough about your family values preventing you from drinking, my family values prohibit me from not drinking.

Frunk's Avatar Form Follows Function
    Moderator Emeritus

Well, I passed my driving test this morning. I mucked up the reverse park a little but everything else was fine. I even ended up with more points than last time.
    Reverse parking sucks. I rate myself pretty highly as a driver, but that's something I cannot/will not do. I'll just drive a little further and park somewhere else.

I drove around for about an hour just now (mainly to pick up some celebratory liquor) and goodness, driving is easy. I was so scared of doing it on my own that I've been delaying getting this licence. To be fair you couldn't get better traffic conditions than I had, and driving at night at peak hour will be a challenge when it comes, but there's no hurry.
    I remember feeling a little giddy the first time I went for a drive by myself. It was at night and I was picking up pizza.

Tango12345's Avatar Never mind the manoeuvres...
    Moderator Emeritus Content Emeritus Administrator Emeritus

I have just had to delete rather too much bickering for my liking. You can use this thread to chat about pretty much anything, but please avoid having a go at other members.

Patrician

Quote Originally Posted by Vissewalde rex de Gerzika View Post
    Can I get some front row tickets for this one?
    Sure! You may also begin placing bets. My Shi-he Chuan against Ferdiad's Drunken Rabbit style who is the Kung Fu master?

This Sunday, be there!
    Last edited by Lord Oda Nobunaga; May 17, 2017 at 02:38 PM.

"Famous general without peer in any age, most superior in valor and inspired by the Way of Heaven; since the provinces are now subject to your will it is certain that you will increasingly mount in victory." - Ōgimachi-tennō

Ferdiad's Avatar Patricius

I;m in Bulgaria atm so if u want to come im here lad.

Patrician

I'm not traveling to a 3rd World country.

lolIsuck's Avatar WE HAVE NO CAKE!
    Patrician Citizen Moderator Emeritus

The Witcher is getting its own Netflix series, excited about that. I have to read the books before that though, will probably start after I've finished re-reading the Lord of the Rings.

Quote Originally Posted by PikeStance View Post
    To be honest, night time driving is not as dangerous as you may think unless you have night vision issues. The most dangerous time to drive is around the late afternoon where the sun sits very low in the sky. It creates a dangerous glare that can block your line of sight. I think it has been somewhat reduce with modern models, but it is something to keep in mind. A good set of sunglasses can reduce that problem.

The next most dangerous time is right after it starts raining. All of the oil on the streets float to the top and braking can be a challenge. The problem isn't you; it is the idiot who forgot that fact. Of course, I am not one to talk; I was ordered to take a defensive driving class to keep my license. I recall being late on time and the guy asked me why I was late. I told him I was practicing good defensive driving technique and it took me longer than I expected to get there. Thankfully, he was amused.
    I'd say the most dangerous time is either after working a night shift around this time of year (the sun is dangerously low and I'm bloody tired) or when it's recently rained and the sun's reflection on the wet tarmac basically blinds you. Not taking into account actual horrible weather of course.

Patrician

I'm not an optimist so I don't know if this Witcher series will be any good. Also with regards to the Witcher I actually find the games to be better, or at least the last two. The early books on the other hand read like Conan the Barbarian and don't really seem to come into their own and create a world until some of the later books.
    But comparing The Witcher series to the Elric saga I find some of the comparisons to be way too similar that I find the claims about Andrzej Sapkowski copying Michael Moorcock to be at least somewhat credible.

Now mind you that many of these similarities seem like no big deal as at the time many series such as Conan were doing this, both are probably literary cliches, but overall I find the similarities to be remarkably similar:
    -Elric of Melnibone is called the White Wolf, Geralt of Rivia is called the White Wolf
    -both have a magic sword (again not too surprising); Elric has Stormbringer, the Black Blade where as Geralt has the Silver Sword
    -Elric is allegedly an elven half breed (Melnibonean) but Geralt is the bastard son of a warrior and a sorceress; the concept of half breed elves would be introduced in the Witcher with the Nilfgaardians
    -Elric is an albino from Melnibone, Geralt is a pale skinned white haired Human Witcher
    -both are introduced as mercenaries or adventurers for hire but later it is revealed that Elric is the Emperor of Melnibone where as Geralt is revealed to be part of a larger Witcher community, the girl Ciri is revealed to be the Empress of Nilfgaard
    -both have an angry sharp tongued dark haired primary love interest; Elric is married to Cimaril and Geralt is with Yennefer
    -both sleep around a lot
    -both have magical powers (Elric is a mage and herbalist but Geralt has Witcher powers and can use "signs" to create magic) in addition to being swordsmen and can seek the aid of super natural beings; though with Geralt he can receive help from spirits, Jinn and mythical creatures Elric can make contracts with the chaos lords (somewhat similar to the Jinn in The Witcher but with actual authority)
    -later in the Elric saga the concept of other worlds and parallel universes is introduced, like wise in the Witcher they later introduce the idea of other universes and worlds
    -later in the Elric saga they introduce the Empire of Melnibone and in the Witcher they introduce the Empire of Nilfgaard (early on these were not concepts in either material and they were introduced as mere wanderers, while Elric is the Emperor of his respective empire in the Witcher it is the girl Ciri who is meant to rule that series' empire)

Iskar's Avatar Insanity with Dignity
    Moderator Emeritus

Frankfurt, München, somtimes my beloved Rhineland

I once watched the old Polish Witcher TV series. I don't understand Polish but it had English subtitles and I found it very nicely done for the time back then, especially as they had the courage to go for rather "calm" imagery, without explosions, silly action scenes, etc. I somewhat fear Netflix may not make the same decision in view of a modern audience.

If you consider the two figures of Elric and Geralt, however, they are completely different in character and how they approach problems. The Witcher series has a very unique aspect in its take in the relationship between humans, otherlings and various degrees of monsters.

Also, Nilfgaardians are half-elves? Did I miss something?
    "Non i titoli illustrano gli uomini, ma gli uomini i titoli." - Niccolo Machiavelli, Discorsi
    "Du musst die Sterne und den Mond enthaupten, und am besten auch den Zar. Die Gestirne werden sich behaupten, aber wahrscheinlich nicht der Zar." - Einstürzende Neubauten, Weil, Weil, Weil

On an eternal crusade for reason, logics, catholicism and chocolate. Mostly chocolate, though.

I can heartily recommend the Italian Wars mod by Aneirin.
    In exile, but still under the patronage of the impeccable Aikanár, alongside Aneirin. Humble patron of Cyclops, Frunk and Abdülmecid I.

Sir Adrian's Avatar the Imperishable

I'm not traveling to a 3rd World country.
    One does not simply insult the Balkans and get away with it. I challenge you to a duel.
    Under the patronage of Pie the Inkster Click here to find a hidden gem on the forum!

Patrician

Yeah the original Nilfgaard elite are Human-Elf hybrids. That is why their ancient language is the Elder Speech which comes from the Elves. Also why in the Witcher 3 one of the Elves from the other worlds calls Ciri a degenerate Half-Breed. Though it isn't outright said it is heavily implied that Nilfgaardians were ancient Elf-Human hybrids and why the Nilfgaardians act is if they are another group altogether with haughty self importance. Too be fair the Elves (Elder Folk specifically) think all Humans are strange creatures who are barely persons. Though at this point Nilfgaardians look decidedly Human rather than Elven. There also exist real Human-Elf Hybrids who are merely called Halfbreeds and unlike Nilfgaardians they have not developed their own language, culture or collective identity.
    Elric on the other hand is Melnobonian though I don't know if they ever outright say that they are elves. I think that it is implied Elric is a Human half-breed. But with Melnibone there is also more similarities to the Elder Folk who are also depicted as a decadent civilization and depraved society that inhabit the the world of the Aen Elle.

I think in their first few books both Elric and Geralt are fairly similar. It is only over time that both can be seen to have developed into truly unique characters. Though I agree that generally Elric seems more cold hearted, cautious and pensive where as Geralt prefers to take action but rarely chooses a side, he is also a bit nicer than Elric in my opinion. It is mostly in the games that Geralt is a sarcastic, cold and bitter old man.
    The other thing is that in the Witcher 3 CD Projekt Red uses a lot of stuff from Lord of the Rings where they basically use Elven names and words for their in-game own elves. For example one of the leaders of the Wild Hunt is Caranthir which is taken directly from the Silmarillion. Though these games were not made by Sapkowjski and I think Caranthir as a character was only the doing of CD Projekt Red, unlike King Eredin who is in the books.

Commissar Caligula_'s Avatar The Ecstasy of Potatoes

Quote Originally Posted by Iskar View Post
    Also, Nilfgaardians are half-elves? Did I miss something?
    No, Nilfgaardians are humans but half-elves in the form of the Scoia'tael and pogroms aren't introduced until Nilfgaard starts playing with politics after Thanedd. (I think)

Yeah the original Nilfgaard elite are Human-Elf hybrids. That is why their ancient language is the Elder Speech which comes from the Elves. Also why in the Witcher 3 one of the Elves from the other worlds calls Ciri a degenerate Half-Breed. Though it isn't outright said it is heavily implied that Nilfgaardians were ancient Elf-Human hybrids and why the Nilfgaardians act is if they are another group altogether with haughty self importance. Too be fair the Elves (Elder Folk specifically) think all Humans are strange creatures who are barely persons. Though at this point Nilfgaardians look decidedly Human rather than Elven. There also exist real Human-Elf Hybrids who are merely called Halfbreeds and unlike Nilfgaardians they have not developed their own language, culture or collective identity.

Seriously? Wow I never knew that.

Patrician

They don't outright say it but it is heavily implied. They are clearly more Human than Elven but are the only Human nation that speaks the Elder Speech. Also I think it is also implied that Ciri and the Nilfgaardian royal family were a eugenics experiment from Avilach. For example we know of Avilach's "scientific" work, we know that Avilach is a fan of magical eugenics, we know that Ciri looks like that girl who was Avilach's lover and that one Elf in Tir Ni La calls Ciri a half-breed which Ciri takes personally. Ciri also has the powers of the ancient time bending elves. So chances are that Avilach manipulated the Midichlorians to create life.
    So it is extremely likely that the original Nilfgaardians were Human-Elf hybrids and that Ciri was the result of a magical experiment. Also I believe that it is stated in the lore that the ancient Nilfgardians had these Elven powers. Without any spoilers of course so you can enjoy Witcher 3 if you haven't already.

@Settra, pistols or swords my good man?

Iskar's Avatar Insanity with Dignity
    Moderator Emeritus

Frankfurt, München, somtimes my beloved Rhineland

No, I don't think Ciri's powers come from her paternal Nilfgaardian line. They come from Lara Dorren's line via her mother, the queen of Cintra. Ciri is a being called a half-breed because "only" her mother's line has the Elder Blood, while her father's line are puny humans.

Spoiler for Witcher 3
    The ingame lore seems to imply that while Avallac'h engaged in elven eugenics to create Caranthir he completely failed in doing anything with Ciri's genes and he also speaks of her imperfection as a human - something he wouldn't do if she actually was his creation.

The language of Nilfgaard is different from the Elder Speech, it is rather a bastardised German-Spanish mix with Welsh-looking graphematics, which fits their role as fantasy Habsburgs.
    "Non i titoli illustrano gli uomini, ma gli uomini i titoli." - Niccolo Machiavelli, Discorsi
    "Du musst die Sterne und den Mond enthaupten, und am besten auch den Zar. Die Gestirne werden sich behaupten, aber wahrscheinlich nicht der Zar." - Einstürzende Neubauten, Weil, Weil, Weil

On an eternal crusade for reason, logics, catholicism and chocolate. Mostly chocolate, though.

I can heartily recommend the Italian Wars mod by Aneirin.
    In exile, but still under the patronage of the impeccable Aikanár, alongside Aneirin. Humble patron of Cyclops, Frunk and Abdülmecid I.

Patrician

I thought Nilfgaardian was more Dutch or Flemish sounding. Though the Nilfgaardian tongue is lore wise supposed to be a modern Human dialect of the Elder Speech.

Does anyone want to talk about the similarities in Batman and the Shadow? I actually watched the 1994 film The Shadow and compared it to the 2005 Batman Begins as well as other Batman material with Ras al-Ghoul and holy crap it was so similar that I found outright ridiculous. In fact they basically admitted this when just recently they released a Batman and Shadow crossover comic book.

Lamont Cranston and Bruce Wayne are very similar. Where instead Bruce Wayne is traumatized by the death of his parents Lamont Cranston has major PTSD from his experience in the Great War as well as his more violent and psychotic dark side. Lamont travels to Tibet/Afghanistan and becomes a warlord where he sells opium. Bruce Wayne also goes east and joins the cult of Ras al-Ghoul. Where as Ras al-Ghoul trains Bruce in the ninja way or whatever Lamont is kidnapped by a powerful Buddhist Cleric who teaches him "the way" and turns him into some sort of Taoist/Buddhist master and unlocks his psychic powers. Using illusions and the power of fear and misdirection he returns to America and becomes a vigilante and millionaire playboy. While Bruce is forced to fight Ras al-Ghoul Lamont Cranston actually fights another powerful Asian psychic called Shiwan Khan (the descendant of Genghis) all while learning to control his fear and anger and master the magical dagger "Purba".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0lbmUaooSw
    Last edited by Lord Oda Nobunaga; May 17, 2017 at 07:49 PM.

mishkin's Avatar Dux Limitis
    Blog Entries

Radically changing the topic, yesterday I saw the first episode of The Handmaid`s Tale. I am impressed, I am going to read the book (I did not know of its existence) and then I will continue to watch the series.

Also: A brave new Japan — Total War: SHOGUN 2 and Fall of the Samurai come to Linux on May 23rd . (We already have Medieval 2, Empire, Attila and Warhammer)
    Last edited by mishkin; May 18, 2017 at 04:57 AM.